Start by marking “Men, Women & Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough” as Want to Read:
Men, Women & Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough

Men, Women & Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Dr. Brown shows how liberating it is when we stop pursuing unattainable ideals of perfection and start embracing who we truly are.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 15th 2012 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about Men, Women & Worthiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Men, Women & Worthiness

Carey Smith
The audible book is highly recommended. Powerful motivating genuine. The story of how she started researching men gave me goosebumps. I am in recovery and we tend to think normies don't deal with the same issues I am wrong. Everyone has shame it might be different from one person to the next. I always called my shame the guilty mommy voice the moment you become a mother it starts to nag and harp that your never good enough. It is one of my shame gremlins. I also realized that the shame gremlin I ...more
David
One of the best things I've read. Deeply impacted by this book. I learned so much about the experience of shame and am so grateful for her take on male shame.
Lenny Husen
Great follow-up to The Gifts of Imperfection and perfect to listen to in the car. The whole thing is about 2 and a half hours. The main topic was Shame, Gender differences (which I found the most interesting) and Shame Resilience.
The discussion about Men and Shame was new to me and fascinating. I felt deep empathy for what men have to go through and what expectations are placed on men by other men and women.
This is excellent and worth listening to multiple times. Also, unlike my version of "G
Ken Macintosh
After being turned on to her original TED Talk, I've read the latter two of Brene' Brown's books and am now working my way through her former works. I've read about shame avoidance being one of the strongest motivators in school, business, time management, etc. but never gave much thought to how shame (and worthiness) might be influencing my actions, relationships, well being, etc. which is what this book delves into. This book covers a lot of the same content as the Ted Talk, but in greater det ...more
Elyse
Loved this lecture on CD. Learned so much about shame and what sorts of messages or expectations for men and women play into shame. Biggest take away, shame is correlated w/ addiction, eating disorders, depression, suicide, violence, etc. while guilt is inversely. One (shame) is about feeling worthless or flawed as a person while the other (guilt) is about admitting poor choices or bad behavior. I know this work by Brene Brown will impact my professional work for years to come.
Anna
Jul 29, 2014 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Gave me much to think about. It's more of a lecture/talk than a book, and it's Brown who delivers it. I kind of want to listen again to pick up on the things I might have missed while I ruminated over other things.

I'd recommend this to anyone who is interested in feminist thought that challenges our restrictive definitions of manhood and how those definitions hurt both men and women.
Robyn
I love, love, love her work and cannot immerse myself in it enough!
This is a great little, 2 CD, refresher course. It's like having a coach in your pocket. I love the focus on "shame resilience".

"There's a certain beauty that owes its existence to the dark. These small flickers of light--of courage and compassion and connection are all it really takes for us to be able to find our way." BB
Stephen Weathers
I've found that there's a lot of content that overlaps in Brené's books/talks/programs, but there seem to always be gems that stick out with each one that I experience. What resonated with me during this talk was about how to empathize with somebody. There are many other things that she delves into more in depth here than in her other works, so it's a good follow-up to those.
Meg
Aug 29, 2014 Meg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult, audio
Oh Brene, how I love thee.
I'm not a huge fan of "self help" books typically, but Brene Brown's no-nonsense, researched-based work is something I both respect and get a lot out of. This audio covers a lot of the same ground as 'The Power of Vulnerability,' but if you can't get enough of what this woman has to say, it serves as a great follow-up.
Matthew Bushnell
This was a very quick listen (2 hrs), but once again, Brene Brown impacts greatly on the truth of "being enough". I highly recommend this teaching for anyone at all. Very insightful.
Krista Knigge
I really enjoy Brene's work. Very real and honest discussion on how men and women confront shame.
Mary Geralyn
Amazing. An eye-opener for men and women.
Tim
More concise than The Gifts of Imperfection. I'd rather go through this.

I've read a lot on the subject of emotional issues, and it's interesting to me how the name around it might change, in this instance it's referred to as shame, and yet the underlying biological issues are all the same. This tells me that people across all sorts of fields and areas suffer from emotional hijacking (which is technically an amygdala hijack). We just refer to it as something else depending on the circumstances of
Joan Raffety
Brilliant! Really helpful in understanding how men and women deal with shame and those feelings of not being good enough. Including a aha moment about how perfectionism can have its roots in shame. A good look at how men and women display those feelings of shame in diferent ways and how we can understand them in ourselves and provide nurturance and support to others in helpful ways instead of unintentionally shutting them down.
Amber Koppenhofer
I wonder if I would have enjoyed this more if I had listened to it before listening to Brown's "The Power of Vulnerability" seminar, but unfortunately I found this to be a truncated version of the aforementioned recording. She covers all the basics of "The Power of Vulnerability" in this one, and repeats many of the same stories, but it lacks some of the humor and wit she has when speaking to a live audience. This much shorter workshop would be good for people wishing to review what was already ...more
Nickie
I want to incorporate Brene's teaching into my education as a nurse. She is real. I like real even when it's hard for me because I'm caught in fear and shame. I recall Pema, Thich, and Jon and I just breath. Brene Brown and all those people working to uncover shame are brave and daring. I'm moving in that direction.
C.interruptus
Useful insights on how concepts of shame play out differently for masculinity vs. femininity. Better organized than Brown's TED talk on vulnerability. I would have liked for her to pay more attention to different kinds of masculinities and femininities (gay and lesbian, eg, and cultural differences), but this is a good start. Maybe she talks about them in her longer books. I liked this enough that I'll check them out and find out.
Martha
The author's humor and sharing of information is very real, and enjoyable. She brings to light information that helps you to understand shame and the destruction that it brings. We are always striving to be something else and don't often pause to consider and believe that we are enough.
Al Konetzni
Absolutely fantastic, get the audio lectures by Dr. Brown. Her style and warmth make this a resource to return to over and over. Funny how "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear", she is an incredible teacher.
Mayank Arora
Becky
love Brene Brown. Not much different than her other books but each has its tinkets of new things to think about.
Annica
Another excellent book by Brene Brown although it didn't really have much to add from 'Gifts of Imperfection' in my opinion. Her message is clear, valid and very valuable.
LauraLee
I read her vulnerability book first and this one was really a repeat with a little more detail.
Seminole County Public Library
(Runner up winning review of the Summer Reading Grand Prize Drawing at the Casselberry branch)

Every human being on the planet will benefit from this book. It is about self-love which unless you're Jesus, you need more of!

- submitted by Rebecca
Melissa
After reading her other books I was disappointed to find that 90% of this was info/stories I had heard before... Still giving three stars because I love her books just wish there was new stuff in this one.
Angela Leddy
Brene Brown is so real, so authentic and her research impeccable. Her work on shame and vulnerability is so very needed!
Bookclubcheerleader
Brene's work is genius. This audio CD was a summary of some of her prior work--still great to listen to...
Im Just
I listened to it twice. I really enjoyed it, and will dive into more brene brown soon.
Tiffanymigdat
everything by brene brown is life changing. get your hands of her writing asap!
Daniel
Some interesting material, but a lot of repetition from the TED talks.
  • Shadow Dance
  • Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life: How Dialectical Behavior Therapy Can Put You in Control
  • Boundaries: Workbook
  • Self-Compassion: Stop Beating Yourself Up and Leave Insecurity Behind
  • Thoughts & Feelings
  • Living with Death and Dying
  • The Self-Esteem Workbook
  • The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression: A Step-by-Step Program
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents
  • The Dance of Fear: Rising Above Anxiety, Fear, and Shame to Be Your Best and Bravest Self
  • Being with Dying: Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death
  • A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps: The Classic Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery
  • Your Body Speaks Your Mind: Decoding the Emotional, Psychological, and Spiritual Messages That Underlie Illness
  • I Hate It When Exercise Is the Answer: A Fitness Program for the Soul
  • The Gaslight Effect: How to Spot and Survive the Hidden Manipulation Others Use to Control Your Life
  • The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius(tm)
  • Traumatic Stress: The Effects of Overwhelming Experience on Mind, Body, and Society
Dr. Brené Brown is a writer, researcher, and educator. She is a member of the research faculty at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work where she has spent the past ten years studying connection - specifically authenticity, belonging, and shame, and the affect these powerful emotions have on the way we live, love, parent, work and build relationships.

Dr. Brown teaches graduate
More about Brené Brown...
The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead I Thought It Was Just Me: Women Reclaiming Power and Courage in a Culture of Shame The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings of Authenticity, Connections and Courage The Gifts of Imperfect Parenting: Raising Children with Courage, Compassion, and Connection