Start by marking “Men, Women & Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough” as Want to Read:
Men, Women & Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough

Men, Women & Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough

4.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  439 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Dr. Brown shows how liberating it is when we stop pursuing unattainable ideals of perfection and start embracing who we truly are.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 15th 2012 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about Men, Women & Worthiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Men, Women & Worthiness

Carey Smith
Aug 20, 2014 Carey Smith rated it it was amazing
The audible book is highly recommended. Powerful motivating genuine. The story of how she started researching men gave me goosebumps. I am in recovery and we tend to think normies don't deal with the same issues I am wrong. Everyone has shame it might be different from one person to the next. I always called my shame the guilty mommy voice the moment you become a mother it starts to nag and harp that your never good enough. It is one of my shame gremlins. I also realized that the shame gremlin I ...more
Lenny Husen
Feb 20, 2015 Lenny Husen rated it it was amazing
Great follow-up to The Gifts of Imperfection and perfect to listen to in the car. The whole thing is about 2 and a half hours. The main topic was Shame, Gender differences (which I found the most interesting) and Shame Resilience.
The discussion about Men and Shame was new to me and fascinating. I felt deep empathy for what men have to go through and what expectations are placed on men by other men and women.
This is excellent and worth listening to multiple times. Also, unlike my version of "G
Julia
Jul 03, 2015 Julia rated it it was amazing
This audio book has been integral in my ability to wean off anti-depressants and really allow myself to experience shame and all the uncomfortable emotions that come along with it. I'm not saying that everyone on antidepressants takes them to mask uncomfortable emotions, but I was. Never feeling like I was good enough at being a wife, a mom, a worker, a house cleaner, etc. is just a symptom of shame of womanhood. I am teaching myself to recognize my shame triggers and realize that I am enough. J ...more
David
Jan 29, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
One of the best things I've read. Deeply impacted by this book. I learned so much about the experience of shame and am so grateful for her take on male shame.
Tinkalanashai
Jan 02, 2016 Tinkalanashai rated it really liked it
Ms Brown is a good story teller and very much a straight talker. This book exposes shame that hides inside all of us just waiting to rear its ugly head when circumstances deem fit and as She explains we must talk about it in order to be free of it. The more we hide it, deny it, the bigger the monster grows. Still wrapping my head around this one. I used to be ashamed of being alive. That was like a life time ago and there was never a reason. I was independent, I asked a lot of questions and didn ...more
Ellen
Feb 22, 2016 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Extraordinary. Insightful. Helpful. I recommend it to anyone who wants to confront shame in their life.
Ken Macintosh
Feb 10, 2014 Ken Macintosh rated it really liked it
After being turned on to her original TED Talk, I've read the latter two of Brene' Brown's books and am now working my way through her former works. I've read about shame avoidance being one of the strongest motivators in school, business, time management, etc. but never gave much thought to how shame (and worthiness) might be influencing my actions, relationships, well being, etc. which is what this book delves into. This book covers a lot of the same content as the Ted Talk, but in greater det ...more
Shannan
Jul 18, 2015 Shannan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
This is more of a "speech" rather than audiobook, but dang does she pack a punch in such little time! Brene is so unbelievably at ease with her talks, and she interweaves personal anecdotes, research data, and psychology theory together into one package. Her expertise is shame research and I gravitated to her thoughts on shame vs. guilt. Highly highly recommend if you need a good solid look on your own shame and guilt complex and are looking to move forward in shame resiliency.
Elyse
May 31, 2014 Elyse rated it it was amazing
Loved this lecture on CD. Learned so much about shame and what sorts of messages or expectations for men and women play into shame. Biggest take away, shame is correlated w/ addiction, eating disorders, depression, suicide, violence, etc. while guilt is inversely. One (shame) is about feeling worthless or flawed as a person while the other (guilt) is about admitting poor choices or bad behavior. I know this work by Brene Brown will impact my professional work for years to come.
Eryc
Sep 17, 2015 Eryc rated it it was amazing
Wow! Potent, thought-provoking, well-researched, and well-conceived. What Brown is able to tackle in a short time could fill volumes. It's a dense piece, but highly accessible, thanks to Brown's ease and deep knowledge. It's easy to write 400 pages on this topic, but it's a real feat to cram it into a few hours of audio. This is not just a self-help, feel-good book, but a powerful treatise on how to take better care of ourselves and those we love. Highly recommended!
C.interruptus
Useful insights on how concepts of shame play out differently for masculinity vs. femininity. Better organized than Brown's TED talk on vulnerability. I would have liked for her to pay more attention to different kinds of masculinities and femininities (gay and lesbian, eg, and cultural differences), but this is a good start. Maybe she talks about them in her longer books. I liked this enough that I'll check them out and find out.
Anna
Jul 29, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Gave me much to think about. It's more of a lecture/talk than a book, and it's Brown who delivers it. I kind of want to listen again to pick up on the things I might have missed while I ruminated over other things.

I'd recommend this to anyone who is interested in feminist thought that challenges our restrictive definitions of manhood and how those definitions hurt both men and women.
Robyn
Jan 02, 2014 Robyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2014
I love, love, love her work and cannot immerse myself in it enough!
This is a great little, 2 CD, refresher course. It's like having a coach in your pocket. I love the focus on "shame resilience".

"There's a certain beauty that owes its existence to the dark. These small flickers of light--of courage and compassion and connection are all it really takes for us to be able to find our way." BB
Stephen Weathers
Dec 15, 2013 Stephen Weathers rated it it was amazing
I've found that there's a lot of content that overlaps in Brené's books/talks/programs, but there seem to always be gems that stick out with each one that I experience. What resonated with me during this talk was about how to empathize with somebody. There are many other things that she delves into more in depth here than in her other works, so it's a good follow-up to those.
Meg
Aug 29, 2014 Meg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, adult
Oh Brene, how I love thee.
I'm not a huge fan of "self help" books typically, but Brene Brown's no-nonsense, researched-based work is something I both respect and get a lot out of. This audio covers a lot of the same ground as 'The Power of Vulnerability,' but if you can't get enough of what this woman has to say, it serves as a great follow-up.
Mcgyver5
Jan 04, 2016 Mcgyver5 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
great quote: men react to shame either by getting pissed or shutting down. So true.

I think there were a few spots where she over-generalized about "male" culture. She painted an interesting picture of rabid men clinging to the baseball backstop screaming to their little-leaguers to hit the ball and saying "cry on the bat, see if that helps". She interviewed dozens of men to do her work and I'm sure individuals had stories of feeling bad about sports, but (I hope) even in Texas, where the author
Julie Bowman
Feb 20, 2016 Julie Bowman rated it it was amazing
I cannot recommend this book enough. Read (or listen to it like I did) it once. Think about it. Read again. Brown helps us to understand what shame is, how it is manifested, and how we can be resilient. I love how she also looks at what shame is for men and women. It helps to see and understand the opposite sex, and how to be there for them. Just read it, really, you won't regret it. I love Brené Brown, her work, and her method of delivering her findings from solid research. She is real, approac ...more
Matthew Bushnell
Jul 27, 2014 Matthew Bushnell rated it it was amazing
This was a very quick listen (2 hrs), but once again, Brene Brown impacts greatly on the truth of "being enough". I highly recommend this teaching for anyone at all. Very insightful.
Stephanie
Sep 27, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Very insightful book. I think all perfectionists need to read this book. Instant improvement in my marriage!
Krista Knigge
Jan 07, 2015 Krista Knigge rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Brene's work. Very real and honest discussion on how men and women confront shame.
Jessica
Mar 27, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
Let me start off by saying I feel Brené Brown's work is potentially life changing. And as a speaker, she is amazing. But having already listened to "The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings of Authenticity, Connections and Courage," I found there was an enormous amount of overlap.

What was different about this work was that Brown addresses shame and worthiness as it relates to men. Certainly this is not something to dismiss. I, however; was looking for an elaboration on what I had already learned (
Mary Geralyn
Nov 10, 2014 Mary Geralyn rated it it was amazing
Amazing. An eye-opener for men and women.
Tim
Apr 07, 2015 Tim rated it liked it
More concise than The Gifts of Imperfection. I'd rather go through this.

I've read a lot on the subject of emotional issues, and it's interesting to me how the name around it might change, in this instance it's referred to as shame, and yet the underlying biological issues are all the same. This tells me that people across all sorts of fields and areas suffer from emotional hijacking (which is technically an amygdala hijack). We just refer to it as something else depending on the circumstances of
Joan Raffety
Mar 04, 2015 Joan Raffety rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Really helpful in understanding how men and women deal with shame and those feelings of not being good enough. Including a aha moment about how perfectionism can have its roots in shame. A good look at how men and women display those feelings of shame in diferent ways and how we can understand them in ourselves and provide nurturance and support to others in helpful ways instead of unintentionally shutting them down.
Ko Matsuo
Jan 28, 2016 Ko Matsuo rated it it was amazing
Wow. This audio book is Brene Brown at her best. Her books tend to be semi-rambling, but this is a masterpiece. The first half frames her research and lays the groundwork for the differences between shame and guilt, humiliation and embarrassment. The second half of the book covers men and shame, as well as a fantastic discussion about the importance of recognizing shame triggers, and re-booting your frontal lobe in order to counteract the effects of shame.

Amber Koppenhofer
Jan 08, 2015 Amber Koppenhofer rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help, counseling
I wonder if I would have enjoyed this more if I had listened to it before listening to Brown's "The Power of Vulnerability" seminar, but unfortunately I found this to be a truncated version of the aforementioned recording. She covers all the basics of "The Power of Vulnerability" in this one, and repeats many of the same stories, but it lacks some of the humor and wit she has when speaking to a live audience. This much shorter workshop would be good for people wishing to review what was already ...more
Nickie
May 17, 2015 Nickie rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-version
I want to incorporate Brene's teaching into my education as a nurse. She is real. I like real even when it's hard for me because I'm caught in fear and shame. I recall Pema, Thich, and Jon and I just breath. Brene Brown and all those people working to uncover shame are brave and daring. I'm moving in that direction.
Martha
Nov 02, 2014 Martha rated it really liked it
The author's humor and sharing of information is very real, and enjoyable. She brings to light information that helps you to understand shame and the destruction that it brings. We are always striving to be something else and don't often pause to consider and believe that we are enough.
Karen Willmott
Jan 24, 2016 Karen Willmott rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent! I have read a couple of Brene Brown's books on shame that covers the same info in more detail. I think this book brings everything back to a very simplified version that hits all the major points much like cliff notes do. I will listen again and again to this book as a continual reminder in my life of what shame is and how to develop some level of resilience against it. I highly recommend this book!
Al Konetzni
Apr 26, 2015 Al Konetzni rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic, get the audio lectures by Dr. Brown. Her style and warmth make this a resource to return to over and over. Funny how "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear", she is an incredible teacher.
  • Depressed and Anxious: The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook for Overcoming Depression and Anxiety
  • Shadow Dance
  • Self-Compassion: Stop Beating Yourself Up and Leave Insecurity Behind
  • Ten Days to Self-Esteem
  • Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life: How Dialectical Behavior Therapy Can Put You in Control
  • Stick Up for Yourself!: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power and Positive Self-Esteem
  • Death: The Final Stage of Growth
  • Just Because It Isn't Wrong Doesn't Make It Right: Teaching Kids To Think And Act Ethically
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • The Self-Esteem Workbook
  • Boundaries: Workbook
  • The Upward Spiral: Using Neuroscience to Reverse the Course of Depression, One Small Change at a Time
  • The Dance of Fear: Rising Above Anxiety, Fear, and Shame to Be Your Best and Bravest Self
  • The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression: A Step-by-Step Program
  • Self-Esteem: A proven program of cognitive techniques for assessing, improving and maintaining your self-esteem
  • A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps: The Classic Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery
  • Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents
Dr. Brené Brown is a research professor at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work.She has spent the past thirteen years studying vulnerability, courage, worthiness, and shame.

Brené is the author of two #1 New York Times Bestsellers: Daring Greatly and The Gifts of Imperfection.

Her latest book, Rising Strong will be released on August 25, 2015. In Rising Strong, Brené writes, “If
More about Brené Brown...