Start by marking “Homegrown Honey Bees: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Beekeeping Your First Year, from Hiving to Honey Harvest” as Want to Read:

Discover the joys of harvesting honey from your own backyard.  Alethea Morrison outlines what you’ll need to know to make it through the first year, while stunning macrophotography by Mars Vilaubi brings the inner workings of the hive to life. With in-depth discussions of allergies, colony hierarchy, bee behavior, and more, this approachably informative guide bursts with e ...more
Published January 29th 2013 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Homegrown Honey Bees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homegrown Honey Bees

Scott Knight
Jun 14, 2013 Scott Knight rated it really liked it
This is a great book. It was the first beekeeping book I read before I got bees and the pictures were perfect for letting me see what to look for. Is it a complete book of everything bees? No. But it is exactly what it claims to be and would be a perfectly suitable book for beekeepers just starting out. It is very easy to read and the authors approach and care for their bees is translated beautifully to paper. It is certainly written for hobbyists with time to dote over their bees.
Jo-bunny
Aug 29, 2016 Jo-bunny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Great foundation for my beekeeping course. These little creatures are far more incredible than I understood both in diversity, socially, and looking after them is art meets science. Looking forward to this little learning adventure. Regardless if you wish to look after bees or not...it's a good read and would help remove the bad rap they get. They really are just misunderstood.
Alicia J
Feb 22, 2016 Alicia J rated it liked it
Shelves: at-the-library
needed a qualifier that it's ONLY for langstroth hives. no info at all on top bar beekeeping
Shane Kanode
Mar 13, 2017 Shane Kanode rated it really liked it
Lots of good info in here, along with good pictures.
Jessica
Feb 24, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, beekeeping
This is a great overview for the beginning beekeeper. My mom gave me this book because she knew we eventually wanted to get bees and now that we're taking a 9 week beekeeping class I figured it would be a good time to read this book. The book definitely goes over much of what we've already covered in the class, but it's got LOTS of detailed pictures which help everything make more sense. There is a LOT to learn with beekeeping, so anything that can help it make more sense is worth checking out. ...more
Rdt
Sep 20, 2015 Rdt rated it really liked it
I have been threatening my family for years that I would become a beekeeper. I want to get one of those cool veils and a smoker. My youngest daughter says that if I get bees, she will never set foot in the house again. Next year she is off to college and by that time Los Angeles will finally have completed the tortured process of making urban beekeeping legal. So although the time for my first hive may finally be approaching, for now it is still a fantasy. This book was a fun starting place. It ...more
Mrs.  Lopez
Aug 04, 2015 Mrs. Lopez rated it really liked it
I felt like this was a pretty good beginner's guide!It covered so many of the bases and answered lots of basic questions. It was nice to see the stories of other Beekeepers throughout and I appreciated that the listed additional resources for more in-depth information on Beekeeping.

The book was well written and the instructions seem very easy to understand. I appreciated the detailed lists of supplies needed for different projects as well as the explanation of what the supplies were needed for.
Erica
Mar 21, 2014 Erica rated it it was amazing
Truly a beginner's guide, this book walks you through selecting bees and hive set-up to keeping happy, healthy bees. I especially enjoyed the bee keeper spotlights and appreciated the section on trouble-shooting problems (wax moths, mites, laying workers, etc.). The book echoed much of what was covered in my monthly bee keepers classes. -e

Big take-away: Happy queen = Happy bees. So much correlation to our lives. :)
Jessie
Feb 10, 2015 Jessie rated it really liked it
This is a really fun book with really interesting descriptions and lovely photos and it is very clear about many things (like what kind of bee to choose). It is really good as far as basic descriptions like that but on certain parts- like the installation of the hive or how you would set up the hive box she describes as her basic example- there isn't enough description and they don't have the visual aid they need and that is really what I think is the best part about the book for me.
Tammie Painter
May 04, 2013 Tammie Painter rated it really liked it
I'd really like to rate this book twice. Once for the images (4 stars) and again for the content (3 stars). The book will give you a great idea of what to look for in a hive - the images of queen cells and capped honey vs capped brood cells is especially handy. But the content is lacking for advice or different methods or troubleshooting. It's more of a diary of what the author did her first year. Still, it's a fun book to flip through.
Ali
Dec 10, 2016 Ali rated it it was amazing
This is a super approachable, season by season, instruction book on starting out with a hive. It addresses all the fears and things that can go wrong, but is still full of excitement and makes beekeeping seem really possible! I'm now inspired to find my local beek organization and get ready to set up my own hive.
Todd
May 21, 2016 Todd rated it liked it
A little simplistic. I have to look up more detailed information in other sources. This book's strengths are that it is very engaging and easy to read, it has nice photos, and it covers the basics. At least now I know what I'm supposed to know about and can look up more detailed information from other sources.
Jill
May 02, 2016 Jill rated it it was amazing
This is a great, easy-to-understand reference to your first year of beekeeping. The author has great pictures and charts and stories from across the country to illustrate the life-cycles and steps involved in caring for bees. Great!
Danny
May 11, 2015 Danny rated it really liked it
I actually really enjoyed this book. I'm highly motivated by lots of pictures and bright colors so that may have something to do with it. Not sure I would feel ready to tackle a beehive but it gives great and interesting information.
Stephanie Jewett
Jan 08, 2015 Stephanie Jewett rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2015
Very informative, with an easy, conversational tone. I learned a lot and enjoyed the book, lots of great pictures and personal anecdotes from the author's experience. I guess I won't really know how useful the info is until I get my bees.
Augusta Public Library
Aug 03, 2013 Augusta Public Library rated it it was amazing
This is a concise, invitingly written, and informative book about beekeeping. I especially appreciated the pictures the author used to illustrate bee anatomy, proper hive management, and other concepts. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in acquiring bees.
Rebecca
Aug 03, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Zanzib
Apr 13, 2016 Zanzib rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for starting

Complete beginner, gave a good impression of what is what! Now though I am left with a feeling that it will be a miracle if our bees will survive
Samuel
Jan 23, 2017 Samuel rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction to bee keeping, the ins and outs and how to for basic bee keeping as well as some of the troubles you will run into.
Sara
Feb 11, 2014 Sara rated it it was amazing
Bees now, please. Bees!
Like Goldilocks says, this book not-too-deep, not-to-shallow, but was juuuuuust right.
Amanda
Jun 03, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bees
SO full of pictures. I recommend for any first year beekeeper. Very helpful and great.
Sharon
Aug 16, 2016 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homesteading
This is fantastic for an absolute beginning, just as it says. It has great pictures and is great for introducing the newbies.
Alisa Kester
Great book. Yes, I am considering adding bees to the yard...
Kera
Apr 23, 2014 Kera rated it it was amazing
I love this book! So much info and even my kids looked through it, the photos are great and even shared a few funny stories about beekeeping mishaps. Great beginner book on beekeeping
Rachel
Jul 31, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
Good addition to the beekeeping library. The pictures alone are worth it!
Peachie
Dec 26, 2013 Peachie rated it it was amazing
Plain speech text paired with up-close photography, this is nicely written for the beginning beekeeper.
Scott
Aug 16, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it
This is a quick, folksy read. Seems like a good beginner overview. I don't know for certain, since I'm a beginner! But I enjoyed it, and feel like I got a good introduction to beekeeping. YMMV
Stuart
Informative, informal and well-photographed/designed. Probably the best "go to" beekeeping resource I've found outside of talking to an actual beekeeper.
Todd
Feb 25, 2014 Todd rated it it was amazing
This book was a great resource for anyone who wants to get into beekeeping. The pictures are excellent and the content is pretty straightforward.
Anita
Anita rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Chick Days: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens from Hatching to Laying
  • The Nourishing Homestead: One Back-to-the-Land Family's Plan for Cultivating Soil, Skills, and Spirit
  • The Weekend Homesteader: A Twelve-Month Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • The Backyard Goat: An Introductory Guide to Keeping and Enjoying Pet Goats, from Feeding and Housing to Making Your Own Cheese
  • Beautiful No-Mow Yards: 50 Amazing Lawn Alternatives
  • Backyard Farming On An Acre (More Or Less)
  • Sugar Snaps and Strawberries: Simple Solutions for Creating Your Own Small-Space Edible Garden
  • The Practical Beekeeper: Beekeeping Naturally
  • Escape to Mulberry Cottage (Mulberry Cottage #1)
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living
  • The Beekeeper's Handbook
  • City Goats: The Goat Justice League's Guide to Backyard Goat Keeping
  • The Dirt-Cheap Green Thumb: 400 Thrifty Tips for Saving Money, Time, and Resources as You Garden
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way (Rodale Organic Gardening Books (Paperback))
  • Grow a Little Fruit Tree: Simple Pruning Techniques for Small-Space, Easy-Harvest Fruit Trees
  • Landscaping with Fruit: Strawberry ground covers, blueberry hedges, grape arbors, and 39 other luscious fruits to make your yard an edible paradise.
  • Modern Homestead: Grow, Raise, Create