Start by marking “A Day In The Death Of Joe Egg” as Want to Read:
A Day In The Death Of Joe Egg

A Day In The Death Of Joe Egg

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This play is about the nightmare all parents must have dreamed of at some time, that of living with a child born so hopelessly crippled as to be, as the father says, a human parsnip.
Paperback
Published January 1st 1967 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about A Day In The Death Of Joe Egg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Day In The Death Of Joe Egg

Hamlet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William ShakespeareThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Crucible by Arthur Miller
Best Play Ever
412th out of 423 books — 367 voters
Hamlet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William ShakespeareThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeWaiting for Godot by Samuel BeckettA Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
Goodreads Top 100 Stage Plays of All Time
279th out of 292 books — 244 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick Neylan
I suspect much of this play's reputation lies in its impact at the time. Avant garde theatre in the 60s was obsessed with telling us how bloody awful life was, as well as kicking against the pricks of the "well-made play". Joe Egg ticks all the boxes, but what was radical and exciting then simply isn't now. Characters speaking directly to the audience doesn't seem as radical as it did then, and it's been done much better since.

We get the mother and father, with their near-vegetative daughter, a
Katy Noyes
3.5 stars.

Very much 'of its time', a kitchen sink slice-of-life in a working class household. This one however holds a ten year old girl who is a 'vegetable' unable to walk, talk, or feed herself.

It's very depressing, and sad. It reminded me of A Taste of Honey, which I also found very bleak and hard to like.

There's no wit or dark humour, it's just dark. I hated the constant references to Joe's (the girl's) mum's regular sleeping around before Joe was born, it just kept coming up.

I wouldn't w
Kaethe
As I recall, I thought it was a very witty play about a very horrible situation. But what did I know about having a disabled child? I was still mostly a child myself.
Les
A difficult piece of work, as it covered many prejudices and challenges of the age in which it was written, and also those of having a disabled child. The characters were standard-- nothing too endearing about any of them. The addresses to the audience, effectively letting them know that they are watching a play were jarring. I don't think it was the best way to convey the information presented.

Brians jokes, as annoying at they were, as metaphorical for child-human/function-nonfunction as they
Michael
Distressing.
Mary
I thought this was an interesting play, approachable and worthwhile, but spoiled by some of the awkward prejudice of the time in which it was written. I liked that the father was honest enough to say their life would be better without Joe (Josephine) but I didn't think the mother's view or their life together was fully explored enough. I also hated that the mother's past 'promiscuity' kept being raised.
Simon
Oct 13, 2012 Simon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: drama
Nottingham Playhouse a couple of years ago. I'm a big fan of Peter Nichols. He captures just how crap it was to be a blossoming intellectual type in the 50's and 60s as well as the excitement and sense of revolution in the air.
Alan Armstrong
A bit dated now but still possible to fin the characters believable, and emotive
Sonya
out dated and terrible play. raises questions, hate all the characters.
Imre Körmöczi
Imre Körmöczi marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Liz Swan
Liz Swan marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Sajani Hds
Sajani Hds marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Sophie
Sophie added it
May 04, 2015
Andrea Taaffe
Andrea Taaffe marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Laura added it
Apr 24, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Paige Borak
Paige Borak marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
ReneeS
ReneeS marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A Voyage for Madmen The Rocks Evolution's Captain: The Dark Fate of the Man Who Sailed Charles Darwin Around the World Sea Change: Alone Across the Atlantic in a Wooden Boat Final Voyage: A Story of Arctic Disaster and One Fateful Whaling Season