Mondays Are Red

Mondays Are Red

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Fourteen-year-old Luke begins to realize how much his views of the world and the people in it have changed when he wakes up from a coma after having meningitis. Suddenly he’s seeing two worlds at once. It’s like being in a computer and looking out, seeing first the things on the computer screen, and then the real other world beyond. What’s worse is there’s a strange ugly c...more
Published October 14th 2003 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 2002)

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessA Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
A Kaleidoscope of Colors
173rd out of 659 books — 82 voters
This Lullaby by Sarah DessenThe House of the Scorpion by Nancy FarmerGingerbread by Rachel CohnThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddPictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff
YA Novels of 2002
62nd out of 115 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Pollyanna
I read this for a challenge, another book I wouldn't normally pick up and it was okay but a little confusing in parts. I found it quite a quick read but I wasn't that interested in the characters as I found them a bit dull. I had never heard of the condition that Luke suffered from but it sounds quite interesting. I liked the ending though but the overall story didn't pull me in.
R.j.
Ms Anderson
Interesting, and the writing was beautiful--it gets an extra star just for that. I loved all the analogies and her descriptions of things via synesthesia. Parts of the story were truly terrifying, too (the leaves and the seesaw? I had to get up and walk away for a moment).

However, the plot was a little predictable, and I disliked the addition of the paranormal aspect. I think the story could've stood on its own from the basic premise, and adding in the good/evil Faustian conflict detracted from...more
Wendy
Oct 01, 2008 Wendy rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: teenagers and those who like to write
Recommended to Wendy by: teenager
I read this book along with a junior high book group which I lead at the library where I work. I found this book odd, yet fascinating (which turned out to be the general concensus of the 7th graders who read it along with me in our group) Interestingly enough, all of the girls who are in the discussion group write their own stories, and so found the use of language in the book intriguing. In fact, the topic of whether having the condition of synesthesia could make a person a better writer, was t...more
Sunny
This book was amazing. It's about a boy named Luke who has a condition called synesthesia, where you associate days of the week with colours and music with tastes and so on. There's this evil creature-thing in Luke's brain that tells him he can do anything he want if only Luke gave him a little tiny thing in return, but of course it ends up being a bit more than that.

I'd already heard of synesthesia and knew a bit about it because there's an AFI song by the same name, but I didn't actually under...more
Claire Dawn
You know those kaleidoscope telescope things, that you turn and the colours change? This book is like that. It's about synaesthesia, a condition with crossed neural pathways which results in "mixed senses." Smelling colours, or seeing sounds, etc. But even more than that, Luke has some other issue going on in his brain that makes him capable of acheiving strange things. I guess it's kind of magical realism, because there's some unexplainable stuff going on.

Interestin, but if you're not open to...more
Majid Nobles
I've read this book for quite some time now. The story revolves mainly around a young boy waking up from a coma, suffering from a condition called Synaesthesia. It's a condition wherein the senses become so distorted and confused that one can actually "taste" music and such. The story is a bit bland for me, but what I could remember was that I got hooked when I read the first page. The descriptions are odd, unique and very vivid. I like the way the story is written. I remember googling "Synaesth...more
Cherylann
I wonder how my opinion of this book will change as the days go on. While I find the topic of the book interesting, I didn't really love this book. I felt that the book started slowly. About half-way through the book, Morgan introduced a suspenseful plot point. From this point on, I really began to get intrigued. I like the action that was introduced. Morgan's writing is beautiful, but I couldn't find a connection with any of the characters making the book difficult for me to get into.
Mifalda
That book was amazing. Yes, it was...sinister, in places, but the way it was written and the story it told were incredible. Nicola Morgan said the this book was about the power of language and power itself, and I agree. It is a powerful story. It had a great, great plot, and I think I might just have to have a few people I know read it. Though, maybe that would be too obvious a hint..=P Totally amazing! Two thumbs up for Mr. Nicola Morgan!
Rozman Mashor
This book is rather interesting as it is a work of fiction which examines life through the perspective of an individual gifted with Synesthesia placed within the social context. Though the story is a work of fiction it covers the varying different issues that a normal everyday kid encounters and how his 'Unique' view affects his everyday activities and his future goals. I found it to be a different yet optimistic outlook on life.
Trisha
what an odd book. The disorder was really interesting ~ but the detour into evil vs good and fate (or fortune telling?) was just a little too weird for me to get really deep into.
although the author playing with words and style, I wish it had had more substance. It did feel A LOT like a story a high school kid would write and turn in...
Greta
Two of my children really enjoyed this book so I thought I'd find out why. While it wasn't a bad story, or poorly written, I, myself, didn't find it to be a particularly good story or one that was well-written either. The one thing it did do, though, was to put synesthesia on the map, which is probably what they found most intriguing.
sisterimapoet
A good little read. I think I was hoping for a bit more depth in the synaesthesia stuff, but then this is a young read.

It was clear that Morgan had fun writing it, and truly let fly with the possibilities of imagination, and that in itself made it a pleasing read.
Stephanie
An enjoyable book with a dark premise but beautiful descriptions. The main character experiences synesthesia, so the way he views the world is very unique. The author offers an explanation of the condition at the back of the book.
Jessi
I didn't know anything about synesthesia until I read this book. It's a fascinating illness, and this is an odd and interesting book.
Claire Lamb
Interesting book posibly more aimed at the teen market. Good points for discussion to how different people "see" the world
i read this when i was young and its the first book i ever loved! I find synesthesia fascinating >.<
Dan
Delightfully well written and experimental, the world of a boy goes askew when he develops synesthesia
Miriam
Slightly heavy-handed but well-written take on synesthesia, internal conflict, and coming of age.
Chrysty uchiha
i read this in grade 5 and trust me it was AWESOME!!!
Sam
Smart, intriguing yet predictable
Ana-Marija
I loved the language of it.
Jeffrey Braziel
Jeffrey Braziel marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Fleshmarket The Highwayman's Footsteps Wasted Sleepwalking The Passion Flower Massacre