Start by marking “Going to the Territory” as Want to Read:
Going to the Territory

Going to the Territory

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The work of one of the most formidable figures in American intellectual life."

-- Washington Post Book World

The seventeen essays collected in this volume prove that Ralph Ellison was not only one of America's most dazzlingly innovative novelists but perhaps also our most perceptive and iconoclastic commentator on matters of literature, culture, and race. In Going to the Ter
Published March 14th 1995 by Vintage (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Going to the Territory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going to the Territory

Michael Bryson
Hospital waiting rooms aren't good for much, but they are places to pick up miscellaneous magazines.

And so it happened that in April 2012 past I acquired a copy of the January 12, 2012 New York Times Magazine, which includes an article by Garth Risk Hallberg titled "Why Write Novels at All?"

The past few weeks I'd also been reading Ralph Ellison's essay collection, Going to the Territory, and the recent issue (#84) of Canadian Notes & Queries, which contains much of interest, but the essay I'
Ben Siems
I concluded my summer of re-acquainting myself with the life and writings of Ralph Ellison by reading his last published book. As a collection of essays like SHADOW AND ACT, GOING TO THE TERRITORY is not that second novel that so many waited for, but that Ellison would never in the end deliver. (Although, I have learned, there is now available a 2000-page collection of manuscripts that Ellison always hoped would become that novel, THREE DAYS BEFORE THE SHOOTING. I cannot decide whether I would w ...more
Phillip
I have mixed feelings about this collection of essays. I had high hopes when it came out. I had been an "Invisible Man" fan for awhile and was thrilled that the author had a new book. I was especially looking forward to it because I am an Oklahoman as was Ellison. The title refers to a moment of hope in our nation's history when African Americans went to Indian Territory (Oklahoma)after the Civil War, expecting to be treated with equality.

Unfortunately, there isn't that much to the title essay.
Ken Moten

This book is a very nice conclusion of Ellison's observations of speech and culture in the second-half of the 20th century (1960s-1980s). I was very impress by Ralph Ellison's now iconic approach and wit & the maturity and hindsight that age had brought him. My favorite story is probably his recount of seeing Erskine Caldwell's Tobacco Road for the first time on Broadway.
RK Byers
the part about the COLORED ONLY laughing barrels was so hilarious I'd have had to have stuck my head in one if I were in the deep south reading this during the time Ellison described.
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Beck
Beck marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Jaclyn Norkus
Jaclyn Norkus marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Pandele Ana maria
Pandele Ana maria marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Ciara Thrower
Ciara Thrower marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Zanice
Zanice marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Aurora
Aurora marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Virgil Dixon
Virgil Dixon marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Alina
Alina marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Jamuna
Jamuna marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Mechelle
Mechelle marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Ralph Ellison was a scholar and writer. He was born Ralph Waldo Ellison in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, named by his father after Ralph Waldo Emerson. Ellison was best known for his novel Invisible Man, which won the National Book Award in 1953. He also wrote Shadow and Act (1964), a collection of political, social and critical essays, and Going to the Territory (1986). Ellison references music in his ...more
More about Ralph Ellison...
Invisible Man Juneteenth Shadow and Act Flying Home and Other Stories The Collected Essays