Start by marking “Letitia Baldrige's New Manners for New Times : A Complete Guide to Etiquette” as Want to Read:
Letitia Baldrige's New Manners for New Times : A Complete Guide to Etiquette

Letitia Baldrige's New Manners for New Times : A Complete Guide to Etiquette

THE ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO MANNERS, REVISED AND UPDATED TO ACCOMODATE TODAY'S HIGH-SPEED LIFESTYLES, SHIFTING VALUES, AND EVER-EVOLVING DEFINITION OF FAMILY.

Letitia Baldrige is universally recognized as the country's leading authority on executive, domestic, and social manners. She began writing on manners and protocol during her diplomatic service in 1949, and she has been

Published November 18th 2003 by Scribner (first published November 4th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Letitia Baldrige's New Manners for New Times , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letitia Baldrige's New Manners for New Times

bethany malouf
Jun 17, 2008 bethany malouf rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS MY BIBLE! I LOVE TO SIT IN THE TUB AND READ THIS, MAKING NOTES IN THE PAGES.

this book goes over the common sense to the profound matters of etiquette in this modern age. This is a book that I also LOVE to give as gifts to others.
Nathan
Apr 18, 2010 Nathan rated it it was ok
The entries range from pleasantries to pedantries, from the essential to the esoteric. I read this more as a sociological study than a how-to guide, because, in my opinion, manners are far more organic than they're made out to be. No one needs to fuss over the right-shaped wine glass who doesn't know how to handle themselves civilly (I include myself here), so "manners" as a word is, I feel, slightly outdated. These are customs and rituals, for the most part, not specifically elements of good ...more
Eva Yige
Jun 21, 2015 Eva Yige rated it did not like it
No need to treat it as a manner bible, many things in the book are more like a common sense for general people in daily life (except someone who's really rude and crass, but I highly doubt that he/she will actually read this book.)
Heather
May 17, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
Good guide book to general manners, but can probably skip the sections related to White House invitation :). Don't need to treat as the bible, but good to remain conscious of generally acceptable good manners.
Roslyn Ross
Jul 05, 2015 Roslyn Ross rated it really liked it
Knowing the social customs of where you live is good. But it also makes you aware of how silly so many things we waste our time doing are.

But as far as manners books go I thought this one had some sound common sense. No philosophy or reflection to history but useful!
Jordyne
Jan 21, 2013 Jordyne rated it it was ok
too meandering story-telling to be a good guide. expected much more the reasoning behind manners, etc. Her "A Lady, First" was not about manners but picked up much more manner and life lessons in that one-- and was a great read.
Mel L-C
Mel L-C rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Betsy
Betsy rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2007
Lilia
Lilia rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2011
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2008
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2009
Dale
Dale rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2011
Skye
Skye rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2009
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Bryn Boorman
Bryn Boorman rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
Anna G
Anna G rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2013
Lydia Mathis
Lydia Mathis rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Gina N. Turcios Rubio
Gina N. Turcios Rubio rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2014
Ke Zhou
Ke Zhou rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2008
Jrs
Jrs rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Mary Compton
Mary Compton rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2008
Janina
Janina rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Katrina
Katrina rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Hope
Hope rated it really liked it
May 19, 2009