Start by marking “A Knowing Look and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
A Knowing Look and Other Stories

A Knowing Look and Other Stories

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  26 reviews
From the heat of the African plain to the chilled winter air in rural England, this book will take you on a journey via a collection of emotive short stories.

Birth, death, and some of the challenges that arise in between are covered in this selection of fiction for adult readers.
Published June 1st 2013 by Lulu.com (first published November 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Knowing Look and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Knowing Look and Other Stories

Debdatta D. Sahay (b00k r3vi3ws)
When I first started to read, I used to avoid reading short stories because I used to feel that the ending came a bit too soon. It is only in the recent times that I have started to appreciate how difficult it must be for an author to tell a story effectively within the limitations.

Ms.Emin has not only packed this book with a wide range of stories, but has successfully managed to make each story special. When I say a wide range, I mean a wide range in every aspect – the settings take you from Af
Natalie Bowers
I received this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

I liked this collection of short stories and flash-fictions. The length of each story perfectly suited my short concentration span, and they packed a lot in - characters, conflicts, plots and settings were all as fully realised as they needed to be. Many of the tales seemed to deal with loss and/or separation, and many had a little twist in the tail which either had me rereading in an attempt to spot the signposts, or had me reassessing my vie
Sarah burrows
I received this book through a goodread's giveaway and if I'm honest if I hadn't I probably wouldn't have even looked at this book let alone read it because it's not my usual time of book, but I'm glad I've been able to read it as it was very interesting and different.
the short stories in this book are only around 3 or 4 pages each sometimes less, and they all have similar themes which helps link them together. the main themes were death or loss, love, and often offering a different view of life
Marit Meredith
Rebecca’s second book, her collection of short stories (four of them previously published elsewhere), entitled A Knowing Look and Other Stories, is a treat to read. Rebecca presents us with a varied collection, from the poignant first story A Knowing Look - a beautiful, but heart wrenching story set in Africa (it made me shed a few tears) - to a little sci-fi in A Step Too Far, painting a scary future for the mothers among us, then touching on love and loss, separation and a new beginning in As ...more
Sadie Forsythe
This was a first read win and I'm glad to have won it. I've never ventured into flash fiction before and almost certainly wouldn't have picked this up on my own. It's such a small book, not even 50 pages. I would have looked at it as barely an hours entertainment, moved on and missed out. These stories are small emotional packets of prose. Some I liked more than others, but they were all good in their own way. The title story, A Knowing Look and On the Corner of Clerk Street were my favorites, t ...more
David
This is a lovely collection of short stories. I Thought I would sit and read a couple of them then put it down and come back later, but before I knew it I had reached the end.

Some stories finished in an unexpected way which made them an enjoyment to read rather than having a predictable ending to each story which would not push you on to read more.

Being only 49 pages long means it can be enjoyed at anytime, even better during a busy period where you don't have time to read a novel. I recommend t
Linda Parkinson-Hardman
This is a small collection of short stories and flash fiction which I think is probably aimed at the young adult rather than an adult because of the style of writing she employees. I enjoyed the sense of anticipation from each story knowing that there was a good twist at the end of each and I also liked the way she was brave enough to deal with subjects I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable with. She definitely shows promise as an adult author.

I haven't read any other works from Rebecca Emin and I
Jessica
I enjoyed this collection of short stories. Some of them had information left out, leaving me wanting to know what had happened to make the story end that way. I suppose this is supposed to be a good thing since it means even in such a short story the author had managed to capture my attention and made me care enough for a character that I wanted to know more about them. But not so good for sating my curiosity. I liked how many of the stories had sudden twists in them, kind of like unexpected th ...more
Susan Rose
This was my first time reading flash fiction and it was brilliant, the stories although short felt complete, (not that they didn't stay with you and leave you with questions about the characters).

The topics covered are incredibly varied, and at some are very moving,I also enjoyed a few of the tales with suprise endings.

If you are new to flash fiction or an exsisting fan definetly give this collection a read.

Also I recieved my copy as part of the giveaways and the author had signed it and incl
Brenda
Goodreads win.

This collection of short stories covers partings mainly, but all done with sensitivity and some joy in the mix. I had to read some of them more than once as I found that there was an unexpected twist at the end that I had not anticipated, so needed to re-cap in search of clues that I may have missed. A very readable little book that is packed with some very thought provoking stories. Rebecca is to be congratulated and I look forward to reading more by her in the future.
D.J.
This collection of short stories was an enjoyable read from start to finish. There is a wide variety of stories and each one made an impact on me though My Island Tale, The Gift, and Grace were my particular favourites from this collection. I heartily recommend A Knowing Look to those of you who enjoy short stories, want something literary to savour during your lunch break or need succinct reads for your daily commute.
Shirley Golden
These stories deal with a wide variety of subjects from an unusual and poignant appeal to the human race to an unexpected resolution to a tour of duty. I'm not a huge fan of twist endings, and the thing that really impressed me about many of the stories was how Rebecca managed to bring in unforeseen elements without feeling contrived. Original and touching, this is a collection I'd recommend.

Paul Servini
Rebecca is one of the best flash fiction writers I know. Her work appears on ether books and I also have the privilege of having one of my stories in a collection in which she also figures. This book disappoints in just one thing: it's over so quickly. But Rebecca also just published her second novel so there's more to be read.
Kiwinyx
An excellent and insightful collection of short stories that the reader can't help but connect with and recognize. The focus is on real lives and real issues and I enjoyed every story contained within. This would be an excellent book to set as a high school text as it really is a collection that everyone should read.
Maureen Vincent-Northam
There are some smashing stories in A Knowing Look – an assortment of shorts and flash fiction – that make it an ideal book for dipping in and out of when you have a few spare moments. Ms Emin covers a diversity of topics, many of the stories are touching and all are satisfying reads.
Sarah Ramsden
This was a first reads win and I'm glad I won it the book is a collection of short stories covering a variety of subject. The picture on the front page did have me believing it was a. Children's book but it was soooo much more. If you love short stories give this one a go.
Ashley
This book is both heart-felt and sentimental. The short stories quickly engrossed me into them; however, as they frequently had sad endings, reading multiple stories in a row could be 'too much.' That doesn't detract from the fact that it's a lovely read.
Chris Morton

A wonderful collection of adult stories. There’s a slight weirdness about many of them too, which I love. As any short story should, they stick around for a while after you’ve finished reading, leaving you with something to think about.
Elaine Hillson
This is a wonderful collection of short stories and flash fiction. I can highly recommend 'A Knowing Look' both to those who enjoy reading short stories and to those new to the genre.
Relly
Thoroughly enjoyed the short reads.. Great reading for just before bed! Thanks so much to goodreads first read!
Estrella
A wonderful collection, I simply loved all the stories!
Adele Symonds
goodreads giveaway

This is a collection of short stories with different settings ranging from Africa, England and an island to a restaurant and a playground.

The stories vary in theme but include death, infidelity, and ghosts.

All the stories are very good although I preferred the longer short stories to the very short flash fiction.

The last story in the book was probably my least favourite and I am having difficulty chosing an overall favourite, all the stories speak to you on a slightly different
Sophie Gonzales
To read the entire review, visit my blog.

A Knowing Look is a collection of brief short stories and flash fiction. The subjects are wide ranging, but what they all have in common is emotionally charged prose with an often unexpected twist at the end – designed to make the reader realise their full effect and perhaps mirror the unpredictability of life's challenges.

Now, I really enjoyed Emin's childrens/young adult novel, New Beginnings. But unfortunately this collection didn't quite do it for me
Angela
I seem to be in the minority here, but I really didn't like this book at all. A collection of largely depressing short stories and flash fiction, which frankly I couldn't wait to finish just so that I could put the book away never to be read again. I'm sorry, but there was nothing in this book that I could recommend to anyone to read.
*I received this book as a Giveaways first read*
Shahrun
I won a copy of this book through GoodReads First Reads Giveaways, in exchange for an honest review. Here goes...

Don't let the size of this collection fool you. Rebecca Emin has made very clever use of words to create intriguing stories and images which are interesting and at times deceptive! I would love to read more from this author!
Gina Dickerson
I really enjoyed devouring this collection. I can't pick any one story which was my favourite as I liked them all! What made the reading even more pleasurable was that the stories were a mix of tales. I have this both on my kindle and in paperback! A really wonderful collection that I will be returning to read time again.
diana burns
diana burns marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
famouslastwords
famouslastwords marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
  • Freya 800 AD
  • The Patriot Paradox (The Reluctant Hero Series - Book 1)
  • Prime Time
  • Dark Side of Valor: A Novel
  • Angels of Pattaya: Inside the Secret World of Thai Prostitution
  • Holding Back the Day
  • Conquest
  • In the Name of Revenge (Ivanovich, #1)
  • Tomo: Friendship through Fiction: An Anthology of Japan Teen Stories
  • The Ghost Toucher
  • Pups in Tea Cups
  • Chocolate Aftertaste
  • Understanding China through Comics, Volume 2
  • Always You
  • A Fallen Woman (The Brides of Bath #3)
  • Book of Prophecies
  • Must Love Santa
  • Going Nowhere
I have had short stories and flash fiction published in charity anthologies, and also digitally by Ether Books.

'A Knowing Look and Other Stories' is a collection of my short stories and flash fiction published in 2011.

My debut novel, 'New Beginnings' was published by Grimoire Books in January 2012.

My second novel, 'When Dreams Come True' was published on 28 May 2012.
More about Rebecca Emin...
New Beginnings When Dreams Come True A Rocky Road A Collection of Flash Fiction, Part 1 Nothing but Flowers: Tales of Post Apocalyptic Love