Start by marking “Stop and Go, Yes and No: What Is an Antonym?” as Want to Read:
Stop and Go, Yes and No: What Is an Antonym?

Stop and Go, Yes and No: What Is an Antonym? (Words are CATegorical)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  13 reviews
What Is an Antonym? You'll find the answer inside this bookit's all about antonyms! Author Brian P. Cleary and illustrator Brian Gable creatively clarify (not confuse) the concept of antonyms. Their clever (not foolish) rhymes and comical (not serious) illustrations combine to highlight key words. Each pair or group of antonyms is printed in color for easy identification. ...more
Published February 1st 2006 by Millbrook Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Stop and Go, Yes and No, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop and Go, Yes and No

Maggie Ward
This book introduces the topic of antonyms to children. “Antonyms” are presented as a word that means the opposite of another word. With each page, there is an illustration in conjunction with two antonyms (ex: big and small) that link with the picture. The book lists antonyms that rhyme. “Stop and Go, Yes and No” could be instrumental in introducing opposites to young children. It could be used to supplement a hands-on activity during which children explore opposites. The illustrations provide ...more
This starts with simple antonyms like fast and slow, high and low, and goes to more advanced such as hefty and diminutive. Students at my school particularly love the quirky illustrations of cats (I think they're cats! :) that help make clear the many antonyms given. I've used this, paired with Pitch And Throw, Grasp And Know: What Is A Synonym?, in library lessons for a couple of years now and it is always a hit. My favorite line says: "In fall, the farmer harvests crops. In spring, he's busy p ...more
Fun with antonyms, which always seem easier for young readers than synonyms.
Katy Houseman
This book is all about antonyms. It is a fun book that uses a lot of rhyming words and humor. For every antonym used there is an illustration that goes along with it. This book is ideal to teach students about antonyms. Brian P. cleary is an excellent author. Hats off to you!
This book is an excellent activator for a literacy lesson on antonyms. Throughout the entire book antonym words are stated with colorful pictures to portray meaning. The book is a good way to explain the meaning of antonyms to students.
This book can be used to introduce antonyms. The book has a lot of colorful illustrations and all the antonyms are highlighted for easy identification. It also has a couple of rhyming words that you can ask your students to identify.
Melissa Nastja
Great examples of antonyms and what they are. Teacher can create games (matching) for the students to practice antonyms. The book explains where to find them, and when they could use them.
Kerri Harshaw
This book is great to use when introducing antonyms to children. The rhyming text defines antonyms and give many examples. Funny illustrations. Look for other Cleary books.
We're enjoying these "Words are Categorical" series, although I am only giving 4 stars because I do not care for the illustrations.
I wish I had his entire collection of books about the parts of speech. Fun illustrations and examples of things that can be challenging.
Annette Steele
See my comments on Hairy, Scary, Ordinary... DITTO

Also Antonyms is a State Standard for 3rd new class in the fall!
Christine Kelcher
We are so in love with these books! They make teaching the parts of speech fun and incredibly easy.
May 28, 2015 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Brian Cleary's work
Shelves: lawsonland
Oh, I love this whole series of books. I use them every year to teach parts of speech.
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Davidjones marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Geovanni Popoca
Geovanni Popoca marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Veronica is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2015
Shalina marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Stephanny marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Abbie Sliger
Abbie Sliger marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Matt added it
Jun 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Words are CATegorical (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • I'm and Won't, They're and Don't: What's a Contraction?
  • Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely
  • Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What Is an Adjective?
  • How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear?: What Are Homonyms and Homophones?
  • I and You and Don't Forget Who
  • A Mink, a Fink, a Skating Rink: What Is a Noun?
  • Pitch and Throw, Grasp and Know: What Is a Synonym?
  • To Root, to Toot, to Parachute
  • Under, Over, by the Clover
  • A Lime, a Mime, a Pool of Slime: More about Nouns
Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What Is an Adjective? A Mink, a Fink, a Skating Rink: What Is a Noun? To Root, to Toot, to Parachute Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear?: What Are Homonyms and Homophones?