Start by marking “Stop and Go, Yes and No: What Is an Antonym?” as Want to Read:
Stop and Go, Yes and No: What Is an Antonym?

Stop and Go, Yes and No: What Is an Antonym? (Words are CATegorical)

What Is an Antonym? You'll find the answer inside this bookit's all about antonyms! Author Brian P. Cleary and illustrator Brian Gable creatively clarify (not confuse) the concept of antonyms. Their clever (not foolish) rhymes and comical (not serious) illustrations combine to highlight key words. Each pair or group of antonyms is printed in color for easy identification. ...more
Published February 1st 2006 by Millbrook Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Stop and Go, Yes and No, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop and Go, Yes and No

Luann
Apr 09, 2010 Luann rated it really liked it
This starts with simple antonyms like fast and slow, high and low, and goes to more advanced such as hefty and diminutive. Students at my school particularly love the quirky illustrations of cats (I think they're cats! :) that help make clear the many antonyms given. I've used this, paired with Pitch And Throw, Grasp And Know: What Is A Synonym?, in library lessons for a couple of years now and it is always a hit. My favorite line says: "In fall, the farmer harvests crops. In spring, he's busy p ...more
Maggie Ward
Jun 18, 2014 Maggie Ward rated it really liked it
Shelves: lit-concepts
This book introduces the topic of antonyms to children. “Antonyms” are presented as a word that means the opposite of another word. With each page, there is an illustration in conjunction with two antonyms (ex: big and small) that link with the picture. The book lists antonyms that rhyme. “Stop and Go, Yes and No” could be instrumental in introducing opposites to young children. It could be used to supplement a hands-on activity during which children explore opposites. The illustrations provide ...more
Katy Houseman
Feb 23, 2012 Katy Houseman rated it it was amazing
This book is all about antonyms. It is a fun book that uses a lot of rhyming words and humor. For every antonym used there is an illustration that goes along with it. This book is ideal to teach students about antonyms. Brian P. cleary is an excellent author. Hats off to you!
Madonna
Apr 14, 2011 Madonna rated it really liked it
Shelves: parts-of-speech
This book is an excellent activator for a literacy lesson on antonyms. Throughout the entire book antonym words are stated with colorful pictures to portray meaning. The book is a good way to explain the meaning of antonyms to students.
Rita
Aug 30, 2011 Rita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grammar
This book can be used to introduce antonyms. The book has a lot of colorful illustrations and all the antonyms are highlighted for easy identification. It also has a couple of rhyming words that you can ask your students to identify.
Arlene
Jan 20, 2011 Arlene rated it liked it
Shelves: children, nonfiction
I wish I had his entire collection of books about the parts of speech. Fun illustrations and examples of things that can be challenging.
Melissa Nastja
Mar 21, 2010 Melissa Nastja rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grammar
Great examples of antonyms and what they are. Teacher can create games (matching) for the students to practice antonyms. The book explains where to find them, and when they could use them.
Annette Steele
Jul 25, 2010 Annette Steele rated it liked it
See my comments on Hairy, Scary, Ordinary... DITTO

Also Antonyms is a State Standard for 3rd grade....my new class in the fall!
Jul 06, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
We're enjoying these "Words are Categorical" series, although I am only giving 4 stars because I do not care for the illustrations.
Christine Kelcher
Nov 16, 2010 Christine Kelcher rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-10-11
We are so in love with these books! They make teaching the parts of speech fun and incredibly easy.
Kerri Harshaw
This book is great to use when introducing antonyms to children. The rhyming text defines antonyms and give many examples. Funny illustrations. Look for other Cleary books.
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2015
Alexandria
Alexandria rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2012
Patty
Patty rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2012
Relyn
Dec 27, 2009 Relyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Brian Cleary's work
Shelves: lawsonland
Oh, I love this whole series of books. I use them every year to teach parts of speech.
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2008
Elijolil
Elijolil rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2010
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2017
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Beyond the Pages
Beyond the Pages rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2014
Kathleen Fike
Kathleen Fike rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Liz Suber
Liz Suber rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2015
Jane Mitchell
Jane Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
Tiffany Speed
Tiffany Speed rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2015
C.M
C.M rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2017
Dana Boucher
Dana Boucher rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
Gelene Keever
Gelene Keever rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Alpa Shah
Alpa Shah rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2012
Melina
Melina rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2010
Gina
Gina rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

Words are CATegorical (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • I'm and Won't, They're and Don't: What's a Contraction?
  • Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely
  • Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What Is an Adjective?
  • How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear?: What Are Homonyms and Homophones?
  • I and You and Don't Forget Who
  • A Mink, a Fink, a Skating Rink: What Is a Noun?
  • Pitch and Throw, Grasp and Know: What Is a Synonym?
  • To Root, to Toot, to Parachute