Stop and Go, Yes and No: What Is an Antonym?

Stop and Go, Yes and No: What Is an Antonym? (Words are CATegorical)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  11 reviews
What Is an Antonym? You'll find the answer inside this book—it's all about antonyms! Author Brian P. Cleary and illustrator Brian Gable creatively clarify (not confuse) the concept of antonyms. Their clever (not foolish) rhymes and comical (not serious) illustrations combine to highlight key words. Each pair or group of antonyms is printed in color for easy identification.
Published February 1st 2006 by Millbrook Press (first published January 1st 2006)

Luann
This starts with simple antonyms like fast and slow, high and low, and goes to more advanced such as hefty and diminutive. Students at my school particularly love the quirky illustrations of cats (I think they're cats! :) that help make clear the many antonyms given. I've used this, paired with Pitch And Throw, Grasp And Know: What Is A Synonym?, in library lessons for a couple of years now and it is always a hit. My favorite line says: "In fall, the farmer harvests crops. In spring, he's busy p...more
Katy Houseman
This book is all about antonyms. It is a fun book that uses a lot of rhyming words and humor. For every antonym used there is an illustration that goes along with it. This book is ideal to teach students about antonyms. Brian P. cleary is an excellent author. Hats off to you!
Madonna
This book is an excellent activator for a literacy lesson on antonyms. Throughout the entire book antonym words are stated with colorful pictures to portray meaning. The book is a good way to explain the meaning of antonyms to students.
Rita
This book can be used to introduce antonyms. The book has a lot of colorful illustrations and all the antonyms are highlighted for easy identification. It also has a couple of rhyming words that you can ask your students to identify.
Melissa Nastja
Great examples of antonyms and what they are. Teacher can create games (matching) for the students to practice antonyms. The book explains where to find them, and when they could use them.
Kerri Harshaw
This book is great to use when introducing antonyms to children. The rhyming text defines antonyms and give many examples. Funny illustrations. Look for other Cleary books.
We're enjoying these "Words are Categorical" series, although I am only giving 4 stars because I do not care for the illustrations.
Arlene
I wish I had his entire collection of books about the parts of speech. Fun illustrations and examples of things that can be challenging.
Annette Steele
See my comments on Hairy, Scary, Ordinary... DITTO

Also Antonyms is a State Standard for 3rd grade....my new class in the fall!
Christine Kelcher
We are so in love with these books! They make teaching the parts of speech fun and incredibly easy.
Relyn
Dec 27, 2009 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: teachers
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Brian Cleary's work
Oh, I love this whole series of books. I use them every year to teach parts of speech.
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Angell
Angell marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Kimber Hudson
Kimber Hudson marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Jo Thacker
Jo Thacker marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Jane
Jane added it
Jan 30, 2014
Jamie Kittel
Jamie Kittel marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Lolo
Lolo marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Susan
Susan added it
Sep 29, 2013
Berit
Berit marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What Is an Adjective? A Mink, a Fink, a Skating Rink To Root, to Toot, to Parachute Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely: What Is an Adverb? (Words Are Categorical) Peanut Butter and Jellyfishes: A Very Silly Alphabet Book (Millbrook Picture Books)