Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  1,484,559 ratings  ·  22,279 reviews
All Harry Potter wants is to get away from the Dursleys and go back to Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature named Dobby - who says that if Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

And strike it does. For in Harry's second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and ho
Published July 1st 1999 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published July 2nd 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, please sign up.

Mariya Joseph He doesn't pick it up or anything he sort of some how flips the books and parchment to look at it or turns it without touching it
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sampoorna Tripathy there was no one else in the school who knew parsel tongue other than harry
and beside that there was no use telling to teachers about the…more
there was no one else in the school who knew parsel tongue other than harry
and beside that there was no use telling to teachers about the basilisk.....because they wud rather prefer the students safety the a single student's life.(less)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
The BOOK was BETTER than the MOVIE
7th out of 1,312 books — 17,460 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee1984 by George OrwellThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Best Books of the 20th Century
34th out of 6,355 books — 42,858 voters

More lists with this book...

Sasha Alsberg
JK Rowling really knows how to write a great book, thats for sure! Although this wasn't my favorite book in the series, it definitely wasn't because it was bad. I loved the plot and conflict, even though it wasn't as intense as the others were. I was definitely shocked at the epic and mind blowing!
Aug 13, 2011 Lora rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the first
Recommended to Lora by: my enjoyment of the first
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

Such a wise wizard.

You know how sometimes when you read the first in a series and it turns out so much better than you originally anticipated, it makes you a little apprehensive when starting the sequel? Well, I felt that way before starting this, but I can definitely say that Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is another fabulous installment in the rightfully beloved Harry Potter series!
Zoë (readbyzoe)
Book 21/100 of 2015

Okay DUH 5/5 stars. I actually liked this book more than I remembered! This used to be my least favorite of the Harry Potter books and while that still might be true, I was more entertained than I was expecting! I always forget how different book Ginny is from movie Ginny (wayyy better and more interesting) and how she has such a bigger role in the books than the films.

Wil Wheaton
Overall, I loved this, and I can't wait to start Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban today.

Quick thoughts on the things that stood out to me:

Wow, the Dursleys were even more loathsome in this book than the first.
I love the Weasleys even more than I already did.
I am so glad my mother never sent me a Howler.
I thought Dobby was annoying in the movie (which I saw when it came out over a decade ago, not having read the book) but I thought he was awesome in the book. In fact, we rewatched the
Christina Wilder

Since pretty much everyone I know has read these books, I figure reviewing them is pretty pointless. But with the new book coming out in a couple of weeks, I have to go through them beginning to end. To make the reviews more entertaining, I will be doing them in a variety of unexpected formats. For this review, I will be writing as someone who's just getting into Freudian theory.

From the very beginning, the true nature of this story is quite obvious - The Chamber of Secrets. There is only one "c
Raeleen Lemay
Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas to You

In this book we get more little hints to events to come in future books (Horcrux stuff, a mention of Voldemort having left a part of himself/his powers in Harry, etc.) WHICH WAS AWESOME. I find that every time I read these books I notice more things, which was definitely true this time around.

One thing I did notice, which COULD HAVE SOLVED EVERYTHING:

At the beginning of the book when they're leaving for King's Cross, Ginny

I have been so far behind in my reading and reviews...dealing I spent the whole month (so far) of August trying to play catch up. And now that I have sort of done that- I left this one review till the end...because even though the last thing that my lovely Stepheny aka Ms. Thaaaaaaaaaaang would want for me is to feel pressure- I do...OH, I really do. I feel the pressure to put out the best review that I can possibly think of right now...just for her- for her favorite series. The ser
Mohammed Arabey
هل كنت لتصدق منذ عقدين أن الجرائد قد تقرأها علي جهاز لوحي خفيف بلا أسلاك، تنقل لك الخبر بالصوت وفيديو وقت حدوثه اينما كنت وتقلب صفحاتها علي الجهاز كأنها جريدة بجد

Knight Ridder علي فكرة الموضوع بدأ 1994 ,قبل أبل بسنوات لشركة أسمها
لماذا أذن أعتبر البعض أن ما يحدث في رواية هاري بوتر 1997 من جرائد ذات صور متحركة سحر محرم؟

بل وحرقوا كتب الرواية في ساحات حرق الكتب لانها حرام؟
طب انت عارف أن من وقت للتاني يظهر أشخاص نادرة بأي مكان بالعالم وعلي مر الزمن ولدوا بقدرات غريبة،ممكن تكون موهبة عقلية فذة ، أو م
A lot of people cite this book as their least favorite in the Potter saga; many of my friends included. When I asked one of my friends why he felt it was the worst of the bunch, he gave me a very reasonable reply. He'd come in late on the Potter game, having only read them last year in fact, when a Professor of his was walking them through what it takes to be a good mystery-- using Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone as an example of a perfectly fashioned mystery.

Moving on to the second book,
The Harry Potter series is like one giant puzzle, and during every book, tiny puzzle pieces start fitting together and forming a whole. There are hints everywhere about what's going to happen, sort of like inside jokes for people who've already read the books, but the mystery remains. J.K. Rowling keeps you guessing up until the final pages.

I love how every character brings something else to the table. Ron's dry comments, Fred and George's pranks, Hermione's cleverness, Dumbledore's charming str

About a year ago I threw a tantrum begged Delee to read Harry Potter with me. She had never read it and I just simply can’t accept that. Because let’s face it:

Well, she inevitably, jumped on the bandwagon with the rest of the world. I was so thrilled that she not only finally read it but that she loved it. It took her a whole year to get around to the next book, but she did and that’s all that matters. She’s already given this one 5 stars! AND we’ve scheduled our reading of Prisoner of Azkaba
In a bid to recapture the Harry Potteresque brand of nostalgia, I am re-reading the series. And loving every bit of it.

I always find that the second offering in a long-running series is always the most fulfilling. After the first book, we have the character profiles down to a tee, we have decided on our personal favourites and pet-peeves and we can easily summon up the scenery and the ambience. So now it’s just a question of belting-up and getting ready for more nail-biting action.
And Harry Po
Juliana Zapata
Estos libros son tan hermosos que llenan de amor el corazón! Como ya dije del libro anterior están llenos de magia y de ternura. Con cada libro amas a los personajes, estoy terriblemente encariñada con Harry y amo a Hermione por encima de todo.

Espero poner leer pronto el siguiente libro

Reseña Completa:
oh! I cry and laugh so much. Ron you cutie!

every time I finish one of these books it makes me so angry! why can't I live at Hogwarts? ;_____;
(9 3/4) Gerasimos Kyritsis
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.
While the story fits neatly together and again, her imagination is fantastic, the flat characters that play to extreme stereotypes take a lot of the enjoymeny out of this story.

There is no excuse for Gilderoy Lockhart. Granted, his fame obsession and ludicrous self-absorption make for some amusing Rowling-esque moments that make the series good (such as a dozen Lockharts running for cover in the photo frames with rollers in their hair), but at the expense of the reader's patience. This degree o
Dylan Williams
This used to be my least favourite book in the series - but I loved it this time around!
Jan 21, 2015 Laz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: magic world lovers
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

While I think the movies are just awesome, I think they fail to capture the magic this book has. This book just enveloped me in my magic. Magic, magic everywhere. Surrounding me. Making me feel like I was a person living inside this magnificent world, but terrifying and dangerous nonetheless.

This is the second book in the series and I couldn't have been more satisfied with it, I don't know if there's anything
Another fantastic book. I could never decide which I love more ( Book 1, Book 2 ). The Feels are real and some of my fave characters like Dobby and Lockhart are in here. I laughed and cried and am left feeling all quizy and light hearted inside. It's HP have to be a "Tool" if you don't love it lol.

I love Harry Potter Series ; )
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
As Dumbledore once said, "it is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

My ability to write a proper review for this book does not exist, so I choose to leave it at five stars and two Dobby snaps in a circle ; )

Τι κάνεις όταν όοολοι γύρω σου φοβούνται ότι ο κόσμος τελειώνει; Όταν όλα τα ΜΜΕ προειδοποιούν ότι δεν θα έχουμε λεφτά, θα έρθει κατακλυσμός, ότι θα μας καταπιεί η τρύπα του όζοντος κι άλλα τέτοια ωραία; Που να στραφείς; Φυσικά ούτε λόγος για βαρύγδουπο ανάγνωσμα. Θέλω κάτι κεφάτο αλλά με αρκετή περιπέτεια και αρκετό μυστήριο ώστε να με κρατάει, κάτι καλογραμμένο και ωραίο, κάτι αγαπητό να μου σταθεί σε δύσκολες ώρες. Φυσικά ναι… τι κι αν έχω διαβάσει 4 με 5 φορές το καθένα; Χαρι Ποτερ φυσικά!!! ...more
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
There is just no way to do these books justice. I can't even try.

photo tumblr_mkjwxeau2l1rtmlvfo3_250_zps39b2f900.gif

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." Dumbledore

photo images1_zpsd23312b6.jpg

Thanks again to my friend Litchick for coming up with this most awesome group read!
Andie (_HalfBl00dPrincess)
I can't even count how many times I've reread this series but one thing is for certain, I've never enjoyed Chamber of Secrets as much as I have this time around. I'd forgotten so many things from this book....vanishing cabinet eh? And that Lockhart had me in stitches! He's so full of himself, a real piece of work, and I loved it!
This is not a review. (Sorry, Vivian!)
Allright, now that we've got this out of the way, I would like to point out three seemingly uninportant things that guaranteed this book five shining, sparkling stars, two of which (the things, not the stars) only appeared in the very last pages of the book.

1. page 352/366
For nearly a quarter of an hour [Harry] spoke into the rapt silence [...].

A quarter of an hour. Not hours, a seemingly endless amount of time, half a day, the whole night. A quarter of an
Franco  Santos
Y van otras cinco estrellas...

Amo esto.
Xime García
¡Harry Potter corre un grave peligro! ¡Harry Potter no debe volver a Hogwarts!

Y después una cosa llevó a la otra y alguien abrió la Cámara Secreta y Harry habla pársel y ayer empecé y terminé el libro Y NO ME ARREPIENTO DE NADA.

"—Exacto —dijo Dumbledore, volviendo a sonreír—. Eso es lo que te diferencia de Tom Ryddle. Son nuestras elecciones, Harry, las que muestran lo que somos, mucho más que nuestras habilidades."

Tengo la sensación de que no va a ser suficiente ni cuando termine la saga completa.
richtig genial wieder :) ich hatte es gar nicht mehr so unheimlich in Erinnerung xD
Kathe L
4,5 stars!

I'M BACK!!!!!

What can I say about this amazing series that completely steal my heart? It doesn't matter if I'm stressed and sick as I was in this past one week and a half - this book completely soothes me. For some people, Harry Potter may just be a magical story that is far from reality and that they only find interesting. For me, it's a way to travel to another world and get lost. It's rooting for characters, being scared for them and trying to guess what is going on. It's... it's tu
Word Game (I love these, so reply! ;) ) 37274 9519 8 hours, 43 min ago
The equals game 110 137 Nov 24, 2015 02:11PM
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 3 31 Nov 22, 2015 12:05PM
Complete List of Unreleased Deleted Scenes From the movies 2 34 Nov 22, 2015 11:57AM
never ending story 670 1183 Nov 22, 2015 11:46AM
Round and Flat Characters 4 29 Nov 22, 2015 11:45AM
What house are you in? Gryffindor, Slytherin, Raveclaw, or Hufflepuff? 84 248 Nov 22, 2015 11:43AM
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5)
  • The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl, #7)
  • Physik (Septimus Heap, #3)
  • Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)
  • The Seven Songs of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #2)
  • O Despertar da Magia (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo #4)
  • The Brothers Lionheart
  • Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2)
  • Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles, #2)
  • Across The Wide And Lonesome Prairie: The Oregon Trail Diary Of Hattie Campbell
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)
  • Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • Whispering To Witches
  • Ninth Key (The Mediator, #2)
  • The Golden Crown (Tennis Shoes, #7)
  • Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #3)