Start by marking “Fancy Dancer” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  1,102 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
A powerful, poignant novel of love, redemption, and family secrets from the incomparable #1 New York Times bestselling author Fern Michaels…

On his thirty-fifth birthday, Jake St. Cloud inherits a fortune—and learns the whereabouts of his mysterious half-brother. On her deathbed, Selma St. Cloud revealed that Jake had a sibling, a product of his father’s affair. At last, Ja
Published September 6th 2012 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2012)

Caitlin
Oct 12, 2015 Caitlin rated it did not like it
With the writing...I wasn't sure of I was reading a book written for adults or 2nd graders? Just wasn't for me. I like a little more depth in the books I read.
Teresa
Jan 18, 2017 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book ...

Seventeen year old Jake St. Cloud sits by his mother's death bed and several hours later seventeen year old Jake St. Cloud makes the funeral arrangements for his mom ... 18 years later Jake St. Cloud returns to his home town. He made promises to his mom on her death bed .... he needs to keep those promises, for himself.

This is a story about second chances and forgiveness. It is a story of family ... and friends who choose to become family. It is a story of lies and miscom
Mason
Jul 19, 2016 Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a story brings tears to your eyes in the first few minutes (if you’re tenderhearted), then you know you’re in for a roller coaster ride of emotions. Such is the case with FANCY DANCER by Fern Michaels.
Narrator Luke Daniels does a superb job of bringing out the emotions of the various characters throughout the story. His timing and inflections are spot on. His cadence enhances this delightful story.
The title is a bit misleading to me as the story is really more about the character Jake St. C
Desiree Watson
Jan 13, 2016 Desiree Watson added it
Shelves: fiction
Fancy Dancer

Jake St. Cloud has been on his own since his mother died when he was seventeen years old. He has sowed his wild oats and has come back home to settle down now. He finds his long lost brother Alex, and the two lawyers that handled his mother's estate. He also finds a friend in Zeke, who worked with his father in the oil business for many years. As time goes on and secrets are revealed, Jake finds out that Mr. St. Cloud is not his real father, but the father of his long lost brother. A
Michele
Feb 01, 2016 Michele rated it it was ok
This was not an enjoyable read. The story was not at all believable and the dialogue even less so. This seemed to be written by someone very young and inexperienced rather than by a best-selling author.
Phyllis Barlow
Nov 26, 2015 Phyllis Barlow rated it really liked it
I love all Fern Michaels' books, and this is no exception, but it wasn't exactly realistic. I know, I know, it's fiction, not necessarily supposed to be realistic. The story is sweet, and just the right thing to read when you want a lift.
Sherrill Watson
Oct 15, 2015 Sherrill Watson rated it liked it
Consistently good if predictable, Fern Michaels is a master. Her explanation of "how the book came about" was thought provoking. The story wasn't quite as good, but still . . .

Linda Bewley
Dec 27, 2015 Linda Bewley rated it did not like it
I've read several Fern Michaels books and they were all ok. This one was not! Read like a "wanna be" novelist's first attempt.
Jeanne
Oct 28, 2015 Jeanne rated it liked it
Typical Fern Michaels style, but I'm a hopeless romantic so really enjoy her stories! Quick, easy read--5 out of 10 for me.
Lisa
Jun 03, 2017 Lisa rated it it was ok
Fancy is a dancer who is in an accident and can no longer live her dream of dancing. So, she starts a place for children to live. Jake is a rich-boy who has to serve community service at Fancy's farm. A few days into it, his father or as Jake calls him, the "sperm donor" drags him away from the farm to help with an oil rig spill. The story is mostly about Jake's relationship or lack of relationship ship with his father. Once the truth comes out, the story is easier to get into and understand. I ...more
BRENDA H. KLISS
May 27, 2017 BRENDA H. KLISS rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even Sad, Tragic Events Can Bring Happiness

Well developed characters. A great story bringing many emotions, the best of which were love, healing and hope. I enjoyed the book from beginning to end.
Marcia Mapes
Jun 26, 2017 Marcia Mapes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read.

I knew after the sample i wanted to read this. Not disappointed. Characters were good. The storyline kept me turning pages.
Katherine
Nov 13, 2016 Katherine rated it did not like it
This is the first book I've read from this author and I just don't care for the style. I found it wordy and repetitive. Also, the story had multiple impossible-to-believe scenarios.
Kathy Collins
May 21, 2017 Kathy Collins rated it really liked it
Shelves: michaels-fern
A fun and light quick read. I enjoy reading Fern Michaels books and this one was no exception.
Lorraine
Jun 06, 2017 Lorraine rated it liked it
I did not like the way the author repeated: "Estes, or maybe it was Elroy". Once or twice would have been enough but not the whole book
Trudy
May 28, 2017 Trudy rated it really liked it
Quick & cute :)
Patricia
In the hours before her death, Jake St. Cloud’s mother tells her 16-year-old son that he has, by way of his father, a half-brother. She then exacts several promises from Jake regarding his future behavior, not the least of which is a promise to identify and locate his brother. STRIKE ONE!

Several pages and eighteen years later, Jake has several advanced degrees and is a highly sought-after consultant in the oil cleanup business. He is single, rich, a tabloid playboy, and miserable because neither
Olga
Mar 13, 2017 Olga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story. Not too long. I listened to this on the way to and from work. It held my interest pretty well. People in romance novels are always so rich and so beautiful.
Julie Barrett
Jul 25, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fancy Dancer by Fern Michaels
ISBN: 9781420130195 asbn:1420130196
Jake St. Cloud was just 17 and in a few weeks is leaving for college. He held his mother's hand as she lay dying in the hospital, his father nowhere around. Selena had told him he had a brother or sister, she was never able to track them down.
He's got to make things right, and he promised he would.
The story picks up 18 years later, when he's 35.
He finally meets with the lawyers, the papers are turned over to him, he slugs his dad f
Barb
Sep 16, 2012 Barb rated it it was amazing
Fancy Dancer was a very Fern Michaels story. They flow kind of sing songy but the characters are always wonderful and so are the story lines. Jake's mother passes away when he is preparing to go away to college. He turns down many scholarships because his mother leaves him a very wealthy young man. Fast forward to his 35th birthday. Jake has traveled the world working and playing but he has not fulfilled some promises his made to his mother on her deathbed. The story moves very quickly from ther ...more
Tina Ellis
Feb 09, 2017 Tina Ellis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent reading

loved reading my first book by fern. i couldn't put it down. i will definitely read more of her books.
Kimberly
Aug 29, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Review written by www.books-n-kisses.com

Another great book from Michaels. This is not much of a romance even though there is some romance in it. This is more of a mans coming of age story. The story of Jake and the men in his life is more poignant than the story of Jake and Fancy.

Jake’s world is turned upside down a number of times in this story and it is good to watch him triumph over his challenges. The males he has in his life including Alex , Zeke, Jonah and Charlie all bring something into
Donna
Dec 10, 2015 Donna rated it liked it
The first chapter deals with Jake St Cloud as a 17 year old at his mother's hospital bedside as she is dying. The story picks up on his 35th birthday as he sadly reflects he has not kept his promises to her to find his half brother. As Jake visits her grave that day, his father tells him the name and address of his half brother so he immediately visits. His half brother, Alex Rosario, a lawyer, doesn't welcome him with open arms and Jake has a vehicular accident upon leaving. The judge requires ...more
Pamela Gibson
Jun 04, 2016 Pamela Gibson rated it liked it
Too lightweight to hold my attention. The protagonist, Jake, is given too many wonderful events in his life. He has a sudden onslaught of previously unknown relatives, too many 'just in time' events (shortly before said unknown relatives die, or upon his 35th birthday, or just coincidentally as his punishment for speeding and a collision, or the amazingly timely invention of the process for using oil-eating bacteria so he can save the Gulf from another disastrous oil spill) which all connect. Th ...more
Carol
Jun 22, 2016 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Received as a GoodReads giveaway. A quick, light, pleasant read. My main complaint is that the title character, Fancy Dancer, doesn't appear much in the book, her character isn't well developed, and her relationship with Jake gets very little attention. Jake and his relationships with other friends and family in his life are the real focus of the book. That's not a bad thing, but the story doesn't really match up to the title or the book's description.
Heather
Jan 18, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok
Meh. Fern Michaels has written better. I found the characters a little over the top. Conflicts were solved too quickly. I was disappointed that the main character Jake didn't spend more time at the Dancer Foundation. Speaking of, the title character Fancy Dancer is only in 20-25% of the book. There were multiple situations in the book that just perplexed me. I don't know about this one. It's almost as if Michaels set out to write a longer book but then shortened it for some reason.
Patricia
Jan 01, 2016 Patricia rated it it was amazing
This book kept me interested the whole way through. It definitely is a novel meant for girls/women since it has enough "fuzzy" feelings to warm your heart. But since it involved a lawyer and some legal issues, I told my husband he might like it since he likes books with lawyers in them. It was a short read and very pleasant all the way through.
Sharon Pecci
Mar 06, 2016 Sharon Pecci rated it liked it
I had never read a Fern Michaels book; not really my style. However, I wanted to do a little light reading (this book and the one previous), to prepare me for my next choice.

I did enjoy this book. It was pretty predictable in places, but there were a few surprises thrown in to keep you guessing.

It had a quick, happy ending.
Anita Rudin
Nov 12, 2016 Anita Rudin rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful story with many twists to it . I enjoy Fern Michaels's books and this is no exception. A mother , on her death bed, confesses to her son about his father having an illegitimate child. The son makes promises to his mother and tries to fulfill them all his life. This is a lovely story about family and love. It is a quick read.
angela yargus
Jul 07, 2016 angela yargus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Primer for a Lost Young Man

Fern Michael's once again has her readers examining their own choices what fate has dealt them in their own lives, and the way they handled them.
I know I wish I had had the support team Jake had.
An excellent novel that I am certain I will re-read many times.
  • Circus Summer (Circus of Curiosities, #1)
  • Sit, Stay, Love: A Novel for Dog Lovers (Love Unleashed #1)
  • A Gift of Joy (Delanza #2.5)
  • Last Summer
  • Spy of Richmond (Heroines Behind the Lines #4)
  • Bastien (Hidden Breeds, #1)
  • Florentine's Hero (Sisters of McDougal Ranch, #4)
  • Deployed (Called to Serve, #1)
  • Gifted (Broken Soul, #1)
  • Gossip Can Be Murder (Charlie Parker #11)
  • The Memory Tree
  • Vanishing Point (Inspector Jack Brady, #2)
  • Walking With God: A Journey through the Bible
  • Unforgettable (Forehead Kisses #5)
  • Timeless Desire
  • Back to Basics
  • Some Kind of Wonderful
  • Always Summer
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels® is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I ...more
More about Fern Michaels...