Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Books 1-4

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,652 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Calling all HP Sleuths...

Here is the original Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter, which gives Harry Potter fans the ability to delve deeper into the mysteries and fun of Harry Potter. It investigates all the clues that J.K. Rowling has hidden in her series.

This is the Guide that got almost everything right about what would happen in Harry Potter and...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Wizarding World Press (first published 2002)

Deborah
This was fascinating. To delve into the mysteries of the meanings of the names that Rowling used, the mythology that is interwoven in the Harry Potter books, and the other books that connect to Harry Potter was so interesting. This is a book that was very hard for me to put down. I have read it three times and found new things that I didn't notice each time. Then it makes me want to reread the Harry Potter books, and then I am even more amazed at their complexities. One of the most interesting b...more
Molly Anderson
SPOILER ALERT!

The Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry
Potter (Analysis of Books 1-4) provides an in-depth look at J.K. Rowling's writing. Is provides analysis of the themes and secrets in her writing. The authors of this book use the following four rules to uncover the mysteries written by J.K. Rowling in books 1-4. (1)"If she reinforces it, she means it (and wants us to remember it)." (2) "If she suddenly interrupts something, she's hiding a key clue." (3) "There's no such thing...more
Kate
My friends and I used to study this book. We would read certain sections or chapters and then discuss the topics the next time we would get together. I read this one, so it was before a new one came out for books five and six... and now there is probably one for the seventh book. But I loved this book. The writers are so intelligent and they really make you think about J. K. Rowling had in mind or wanted the readers to think about when she was writing the series. This is one of the best unoffici...more
T-Dub
I just found this book on Goodreads, but I read it years ago before the last couple of books were out.

There were some good bits, but for the most part I felt like the book just hyped itself the whole time.
Irene McHugh
Back in 2003, reading this book was so much fun. No one knew how the series would end, so figuring out what bits of writing were clues and what bits were just interesting description kept me and my friends talking for hours.

I've re-read this book twice as I re-read the first four. I'll read a few chapters in the novel and then read the analysis. Still engrossing.

Even though many of the theories here did not pan out in the final books, they are still great topics of discussion if you like to an...more
Denise
I loved this book so much as a kid.
Molly
Haha oh my God! I freaking loved this! This was so much fun and it was engaging and interesting. Of course, there's no point to it anymore now that books 5-7 have been written, but it is a trip down memory lane that only "HP sleuths" can understand. JK Rowling is the master of plot twists, and then you go back and realize she was hinting at the outcomes all along.... JK Rowling's ability to drop clues that you don't see until after you know the ending is something special that was lost in the mo...more
Michelle
This was a fun book for a Harry Potter fan. It illuminated the many hints and clues that J.K. Rowling included in Books 1-4 (it was written prior to book 5 coming out). For example, I learned that "bagman" (as in Ludo Bagman) is a slang term meaning "bookie." And Wormtail seems even more sinister when you remember that Wormtongue was a traitor in LOTR. I already loved the Harry Potter books, but reading this guide left me even more impressed with J.K. Rowling's skill in crafting this amazing sto...more
Jenn O'Brien
I have probably read the entire HP series at least a dozen times ... if not more, and I was still amazed at the things I've missed. Just proves how brilliant JKR is. The layering within the series is incredible.
This book was published between 4 and 5, so it was interesting to see what they got right, what they missed, and what they thought was going to be a story storyline, but turned into a red herring.
it was fun to revisit the HP world ahead if my annual summer reading.
Crystal Sams
Mar 22, 2008 Crystal Sams rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hardcore HP fans
This was a fun read. It filled in the gap while I waited for books 5-7 to come out. It refers to the books in a way that it's just like you're re-reading the first 4 HP's. And you realize some of the little things that Jo was creative enough to include in earlier books that are then used in the later books and you see how many themes are repeated. It was all of these small things that made the series so much more enjoyable than it already was.
Gail
I really enjoyed this book- in fact, a student loaned me his copy which I gave back after reading the first couple of pages. I told him I had to buy my own copy to write in! I havelots of analysis books and this was a great addition to my collection. I read the Harry Potter book first and then the guide to some of the books, chapter by chapter with one and just read the guide with the last one since I have read and reread all the books
Rachel
I loved these books back when JKR was still producing new books. While waiting for new books, I could read these books and see all the little hints and clues I may have missed, along with so much other detail about everything (history of names, literary connections, symbolism of animals, etc.). I would read these books and re-read the books and come up with all kinds of conclusions about what was to come. So much fun!
Chelsea
At the time, before the 7th Harry Potter books, this was the book to read. It gave you insights into the more intricate details of the novels, and it gave predictions for what those details had in store for the next book. Since I have not read this since before I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I cannot say what parts the authors were right and wrong on, but at the time, it was fun to read.
Becca
This book was so fun to read over with my friends. And now that the series is finished, it was even more amusing to go back and see what theories were dead on and what theories just completely planked. This book helped me to notice things I had just skipped over before, even though the 'running bits' never really made sense to me.
Catarina
Jul 20, 2011 Catarina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans
I loved going through this book while I reread the first 4 books of the Harry Potter series. It gives you a really interesting insight and it definitely made me respect JKR even more for the depth she gave to this story (which is more like a new world than just a story).
Probably one of my favourite non fiction books :)
Elizabeth Qualia
I read this years and years and years ago before the Order of the Pheonix came out. I also looked at it again in 2011 when the last movie was released and had a good laugh. Some of the theories put forth in this book are ridiculous.
David Blaylock
If I were a kid while these books were originally being released, this would have been a great book.

Not as fun to read after you have finished the books. I would say it should be used as a companion to the series as you read it.
Bailey
Nov 30, 2008 Bailey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any Harry Potter fan
I loved it. I did not ever imagine that there could be so many clues in those books! They explain in a very easy way, and tell you how they think each clue fits to the others. Any Harry Potter fan should buy this book.
Fangirl
It was interesting to read some of the possibilities the fans came up with. Maybe I should pick it up again, now that the series is finished, and see where they were correct.
Gab Rose
I read this book again to see how many questions and predictions were answered and came true. It was very interesting, but these authors seriously over-analyze!
Shaylin Surratt
You cannot fathom how many hours and notes went into this book while waiting for the subsequent books to be released.
Cheyenne
I loved this book. I really learned and figured out things that I had never noticed before.
Shanice
Decent, the ideas in this book are actualy superior to the plot endings in the true series
Cara
It had some really weird ideas. No, Lupin was not pretending to be James when he died that night.
Tonya Leavitt
A reference to books 1-4, for those who like to dig deeper into the books, which I do!
Madeleine
This book was somewhat interesting but out of date and not all that informative.
Barbara
Learned things, I didn't know from just watching the movies
Josef
Fun and interesting read
Lingwerson
This book is a travesty.
PWRL
Sep 06, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
A
  • Muggles and Magic: J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • Unlocking Harry Potter: Five Keys for the Serious Reader
  • Who Killed Albus Dumbledore?: What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidenc
  • The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works
  • MuggleNet.com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Falls in Love and How Will the Adventure Finally End?
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • Harry Potter and History
  • The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter
  • The End of Harry Potter?
  • Repotting Harry Potter: A Professor's Book-by-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived
  • The Gospel According to Harry Potter: Spirituality in the Stories of the World's Most Famous Seeker
  • Conversations with J.K. Rowling
  • The Great Snape Debate
  • Harry Potter & Imagination: The Way Between Two Worlds
New Clues to Harry Potter Book 5: Hints from the Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter The Plot Thickens... Harry Potter Investigated by Fans for Fans Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Book 5 Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Book 6 New Clues to Harry Potter: Hints from the Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Myste