Start by marking “How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food” as Want to Read:
How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food (How to Cook Everything)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  12,291 Ratings  ·  364 Reviews
The ultimate one-stop vegetarian cookbook-from the author of the classic How to Cook EverythingHailed as "a more hip Joy of Cooking" by the Washington Post, Mark Bittman's award-winning book How to Cook Everything has become the bible for a new generation of home cooks, and the series has more than 1 million copies in print. Now, with How to Cook Everything: Vegetarian, Bi ...more
Published October 15th 2007 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 2007)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Jan 27, 2008 Jeanette "Astute Crabbist" rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is an amazingly comprehensive book! My two favorite things about it are: 1)The TRUE simplicity of many of the recipes. Just a handful of ingredients you have on hand and can throw together for something healthy and tasty.
2) Many of the recipes can easily be converted to vegan. He even gives variations of the main recipe that include vegan choices.

This book has something for everyone. It's an excellent reference manual for much more than recipes.

It would be a fantastic gift for someone who d
Anna Wanderer
Jan 16, 2009 Anna Wanderer rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most useful cookbooks on my shelf. I use it several times a week and have not yet made anything that I didn't like. It has helped me try new foods with confidence.
Carol
Jan 20, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery
If I had to choose one vegetarian book to own or to give someone thinking about starting a vegetarian lifestyle, this would be it.

The title says it all!
·Karen·
Apr 30, 2011 ·Karen· rated it really liked it
Shelves: partially-read
Everything? EVERYTHING!
No luscious photographs, but useful illustrations of techniques. This is a reference work that assumes (quite rightly in our case) that you are prepared to make that little bit of effort and make your own tortellini, wonton skins, kombu dashi, chapatis - ooh and a recipe for dosas, luv'em, and even how to make cheese. But Bittman aims at those who are unfamiliar with basic cooking techniques too, with fine drawings that show what to do with a green pepper, or a tomato, for
Inder
Mar 26, 2008 Inder rated it it was amazing
Shelves: domesticarts, cooking
This a great basic cookbook!

My only issue is whether I need this giant tome in ADDITION to Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. There's a lot of overlap, and the answer is probably no. I prefer Deborah Madison's format and style slightly, but the books are similar in many ways. The clincher: I already own Deborah Madison's book.

Still, I could totally see living out of this book, much as I already do with Deborah Madison. This is a great resource for old and new vegetarians alike,
Kristine
Jan 26, 2008 Kristine rated it it was amazing
You don't have to be a vegetarian to love this book. Plenty of omnivores have given this book rave reviews. I've been cooking from this book for my blog, www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com and everything I have made has been fabulous. I love that Bittman gives a lot of variations and twist to his recipes and overall they're easy and healthy. I do use less oil than he does though.
Steven Peterson
Aug 31, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting cookbook. Mark Bittman, who has created other cookbooks, takes a shot at a vegetarian cookbook. One nice wrinkle--he shows Vegans how they can adapt some of these recipes to their needs. He begins by noting that (Page ix) "Increasingly, Americans are becoming `flexitarians,' a recently invented word that describes both vegetarians who aren't that strict and meat-eaters who are striving for a more health conscious, planet friendly diet." He follows up by noting, simply, tha ...more
Sara
Nov 16, 2007 Sara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to cook - vegetarian or not
This book is useful not just for the recipes, but for the illustrations and instructions on how to chose, prepare and cook various types of vegetables. He addresses various staples of the vegetarian diet with brief introductions followed by recipes and tips.

Non-vegetarians could find this book very useful, in expanding their fruit and vegetable repertoire as well as just adding to their stock recipes for common ingredients. Plus, not every recipe here is for a main dish, so many of his ideas wo
Phillippa Wightman
Jun 18, 2011 Phillippa Wightman rated it it was amazing
My boyfriend and I religiously cook from this book - we have used it for seven meals this weekend already!

It's winter here so rather than go out for dinner we invite our friends to come over for some vegetarian fare. As a rule all recipes come from this book.

They say that when you have guests you never cook something that you haven't made before. Well we have broken this rule and every dish we make is a first for us, we typically make an entree, main and desert. Our guests seem impressed and t
Jen
Dec 27, 2007 Jen rated it really liked it
Okay, I'm only through the first 100 pages of this nearly 1,000 page cookbook, and I'm sold. I think this is the "Laurel's Kitchen" for the 21st century, and will proudly sit on my bookshelf next to it. Bittman's writing is in an easy, conversational, been there-done that level that doesn't make you feel either lost if you've never cooked anything before or talked down to if you've been a cook (or a vegetarian) for years. Recipes are coded for Fast, Make Ahead or Vegan and each basic recipe has ...more
Varied Books
Feb 10, 2017 Varied Books is currently reading it
2/10/17 on sale for $3.99.
Julie Wiley
Nov 15, 2008 Julie Wiley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
It's one of those books that everyone should have up on their shelves. (Even though he's given away all of his cookbooks because he doesn't have room in his kitchen.) It also doubles as doorstop. This sucker is heavy. I love Bittman's "keep it simple and real" attitude. I made his hummus this week as well as banana blueberry muffins which was a combination of a few of his muffin recipes. Adding buttermilk, may I add, makes them heavenly.

There was blog posting of Mark's kitchen. It made me laugh
Scott
Jan 17, 2009 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a variation on Bittman's more famous cookbook. We have been eating less meat, but simply removing meat from a recipe doesn't always work. I picked up this cookbook to get some ideas for more meatless dishes. It is very nice. There are a few things I really like about the cookbook. The first is that it contains more than recipes. It talks about how to buy, store, prepare, and cook many types of fruits and vegetables which is pretty useful. The thing that I like more is that Bittman provid ...more
Erin
May 23, 2009 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I definitely haven't read every page of this book - it's enormous! I had seen this book many times at my co-op and often scoffed at the title. I thought it would be a bunch of recipes that normally call for meat, but were altered with the simple removal of meat.

I was wrong. It's a great tool book and guide for new cooks or people always wanting to learn more. He offers tips on how to build soups and how to experiment in your own kitchen.

I'm always on a quest to find cookbooks I find useful enoug
Martha
Sep 18, 2009 Martha rated it it was ok
I really want to like this book. I am so sick of cooking the same food all the time. I love the charts, and how most recipes have easy additions/substitutions mentioned. But I've prepared 3 things now (tomatoes and soy, Zucchini soup, and black bean chili) and they were all just ok. Edible, but not very tasty.
Will keep trying, but that's not a good sign.
Sara
Sep 14, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing
I am a Mark Bittman worshipper. There, I said it. This is my go-to cookbook for pretty much everything even though we aren't vegetarian. We make TONS of side dishes from this tome and sometimes modify slightly to include chicken or fish. I find all of his cookbooks so approachable and easy, but the food is so tasty and complex. Can't wait to dig into VB6!
Eve
Jan 01, 2008 Eve rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who cares about what they eat
I am a Bittman fan and I love the original How to Cook Everything. For a man who advises sauteeing split peas in bacon fat, this book is an about face. I have made a quite a few recipes that are easy and understandable.

I particularly like his intro where he discusses how the general trend is toward less meat and how that is good for you--health, environment, etc.
Carrie
Jul 20, 2012 Carrie rated it it was amazing
This is my husband's go to cookbook. I have used it a bit, but am not the main cook at our house. I can say two things: (1) as a person not adept at cooking, this cookbook is easy to use and has tons of useful information, but more importantly (2) the recipes are wholesome and DELICIOUS. Would highly recommend to all: vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.
Charity
Mar 19, 2015 Charity rated it it was amazing
This is my food bible. I use it primarily for technique and tips rather than recipes, but it's the best all-around vegetarian cookbook I've ever found. Mark Bittman is my hero.
Krysten
Sep 27, 2011 Krysten rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, cookbooks
As a sheer reference volume, this book is amazing.

My experience with Mark Bittman is very limited. I might never have heard of him if I didn't work in the cookbook section at a bookstore. As much as I love food, I am just never in the know with this sort of thing. So I guess I'm not sure what Bittman is known for and how other people see him. I just know that he's popular.

I definitely appreciate his no-bullshit attitude toward cooking. His recipes are simple and straightforward, using basic in
Melissa
Nov 17, 2012 Melissa rated it did not like it
I am giving my copy of this book away today at a book swap. Why? Not because I want to spread the love of vegetarian cooking or lifestyle. It's purely selfish. I've been torn about getting rid of this book because (a) I have many friends who swear by Mark Bittman's recipes and (b) there are SO many recipes in here there has to be something that I can get to work, and (c) there is actually some good advice in this book about basic things like how to blanch various vegetables.

However, on point to
Vanessa
May 03, 2013 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to, cooking
This book is a great book for beginner cooks. It's very good for generic cooking advice rather than recipes. There are a large number of recipes, which cover everything that I can think of that new vegetarians should know. They're designed so that the cook can embellish them as they grow more comfortable and experienced.

It avoids my three biggest annoyances with vegetarian cookbooks: it isn't a "diet" cookbook, it does not put too much emphasis on baking, and a large number of the recipes can be
Anashuya Kakati
Jul 09, 2014 Anashuya Kakati rated it it was amazing

This book is literally god-sent for anyone who wants/has to cook vegetarian food and knows little about it. I love to cook but as my husband is a vegetarian I feel the number of experiments I can run are fairly limited. But after buying this book, I can feel myself becoming a better cook and my dinner table looks much more interesting. Even the husband compliments much more frequently.

The best things I liked about this book: The many side tips and explanations regarding how to cut various vegeta
Chelsea
Jan 02, 2014 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
The absolute best cookbook around. I love the way the author creates a conversation with each recipe. "If you have this ingredient it could replace this other one" and so on. The ingredients are simple for the most part, and usually items I already have on hand. So many cookbooks call for tons of ingredients--half of which I've never heard of, let alone be able to purchase in my area. Plus, most of the recipes call for only a handful of ingredients. --oh just get the book already!
I love this one
Jessica
May 18, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I don't usually bother adding cookbooks here. But I love this one so much, I can't bring myself to return it to the library. Something about Bittman's approach really works for me; he explains cooking concepts in ways that make me feel confident instead of intimidated. The recipes I've tried (like beer-glazed beans, blue cheese apples and butternut/parmesan gratin) are easy and yummy. I'm going to have to pony up the $35 for my own copy.
Agathafrye
Feb 10, 2008 Agathafrye rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, food
OH MY GOD, THIS COOKBOOK RULES. I have a crush on Mark Bittman, and this book just affirms my rockstar feelings for him. He talks about everything from what you should have in a well stocked kitchen, what ingredients you should always have on hand, how to use a knife and other kitchen equipment, etc. etc. And, of course, the recipes. I just bought this today, and I can already tell that it's going to be my most used cookbook.
Mark Albright
Jul 16, 2015 Mark Albright rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook-shelf
I normally don't like vegetarian cookbooks where the author comes from dictator point of view. Mark Bittman doesn't bring that to this tome. He explores each of the food groups and lets you know what worked for him.
For someone who likes to explore and create when cooking, this comes as a great resource for looking up similar recipes for educated guesses.
This would be perfect for someone who wants to learn about vegetarian cooking.
Elaine Nelson
Sep 03, 2013 Elaine Nelson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, cookbook, own
Got from the library, made a couple of things, and it was so good that I went out and bought a copy. Have now finally made crispy breaded veggies that don't suck. (The secret, as far as I can tell, is refrigerating after breading.) Fantastic quiche. Great pitas. Pretty sure a copy should come with every CSA subscription. (Setting "date finished" to make sure it shows up where I want in my reading history.)
Dogdaysinaz
Mar 15, 2012 Dogdaysinaz rated it liked it
Shelves: own, allergic-foodie
This is my "what do I do with this ingredient" book--AFTER I reference How to Cook Everything. If you only need one, get How to Cook Everything. I got them together as a set and this is a good "backup" but, for me, I have to make too many modifications around my allergies to wheat, soy, dairy and eggs.
Theresa
Jul 31, 2008 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
I love that the book is organized by food type and not meal like the rest of cookbooks. Perfect when you have certain types of vegetables, fruits, etc and what to create a meal using that ingredient. He also informs you, in detail, who to purchase, store, and use different foods which is ULTRA helpful!
Vegan 2 25 Oct 23, 2008 07:59AM
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World
  • Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
  • Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock
  • Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without
  • Moosewood Restaurant New Classics: 350 Recipes for Homestyle Favorites and Everyday Feasts
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • The Vegan Table: 200 Unforgettable Recipes for Entertaining Every Guest at Every Occasion
  • How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet
  • Mediterranean Harvest: Vegetarian Recipes from the World's Healthiest Cuisine
  • The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen
  • Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • Super Natural Cooking: Five Delicious Ways to Incorporate Whole and Natural Foods into Your Cooking
MARK BITTMAN is one of the country's best-known and most widely respected food writers. His How to Cook Everything books, with one million copies in print, are a mainstay of the modern kitchen. Bittman writes for the Opinion section of New York Times on food policy and cooking, and is a columnist for the New York Times Magazine. His "The Minimalist" cooking show, based on his popular NYT column, ...more
More about Mark Bittman...

How to Cook Everything (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food