Start by marking “Chosen (Ancients of Light, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chosen (Ancients of Light, #1)

Read Excerpt

Chosen (Ancients of Light #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  730 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
In the beginning...there were Vampire

Man’s fall from grace sparked the birth of the Dark creatures from the underworld. To counter the explicit threat to mankind, divinely-created immortals were brought forth. The Witch encompassed seven Castes of power; their magic was most effective against the nefarious agenda pursued by the evil ones.

She is Chosen...
Kaitriana’s gift o
Published August 28th 2012 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Chosen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chosen

The Selection by Kiera CassClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareEntwined by Heather DixonEverneath by Brodi AshtonFallen by Lauren Kate
Best Girl in a Dress Cover of 2012
126th out of 435 books — 1,744 voters
The Waking by Lucian BaneRevelations by Lucian BaneLast Blood by Kristen PainterBreaking the Nexus by Lindsay AvalonRedemption in Blood by Tara S. Wood
Best Indie Paranormal Romances
16th out of 70 books — 227 voters

More lists with this book...

* Booksessed * Bec
Book provided by author

In the first century of creation the Vampire split into Dark and Light factions. The Light Vampire faction united with the Witch because of the mating between the Ancient Queen in the Warrior Caste of Witch, Brisen and an elder Vampire Alaric.

The Ancient Queen Witch was believed to have betrayed her coven and was killed by her mate. They were united no longer, Vampire believed all the Witch untrustworthy while the Witch were adamant of the Ancient Queens innocence and wer
Snicky
Jan 19, 2013 Snicky rated it liked it
Melissa
Jul 12, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I bought this book as a free book on my Nook and WOW! I had no idea what I was getting myself into. This book has everything. The characters are fantastic, the magic is unbelievable, there is action, and tasteful romance. I enjoyed the writing style but that is because I put myself into the characters as I read. I'm definitely hooked on this series and really excited for the next 12!
Jessica
Sep 17, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pnr-nauba-r2r
I give this book a 4.5 star rating. I am rating it a 5 since a 4 is too low in my opinion.
The ancient battle between the forces of Light and Dark is illuminated in this very well written book with an epic feeling - a true saga in the making. True love spanning centuries and distance place Lorcan and Kaitriana as two key players in the unending battle between the Light and Dark and at the center of a prophecy foretelling the triumph of the Light. With well developed characters and a lively storyl
♡ Sugar Mouse ♡
Aug 22, 2014 ♡ Sugar Mouse ♡ rated it really liked it
Shelves: fangtastic
I love love loved this book :)
Initially I was somewhat wary that Lorcan's dominating nature would squash Kaitriana's free spirit, as you so often find in a lot of supernatural coupling, especially with werewolf fiction really. But it wasn't about controlling her and getting her to be submissive, it was more a 1000+yr old teaching the 28yr old (that's been in a 500year coma) that she's powerful and brilliant, but immature and reckless.

They complimented each other well, and she didn't lose any of
Michelle ♣ Ndayeni
An interesting introduction to a story idea that has a very epic feel to it. While this book does stumble a bit at times I think, the world it is building is fascinating and the characters are vivid and believable. It introduces you to enough of the larger story to make you want to know more, while giving you a fairly complete story of how Kaitriana and Lorcan come together.

Kaitriana is a very vibrant character almost from the beginning where we see her as a toddler when she meets Lorcan, or he
Chantal-louise
Oct 04, 2013 Chantal-louise rated it did not like it
Katie
Apr 02, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
This was a great fantasy read and a wonderful introduction in the Realm world. I was left wanting to read Forsaken (book 2) to find out what Kaitriana got herself into next. I loved Kaitriana and all of her flaws, most of all the way she was trying to modernise her speech and adapt to the little sayings, but never seemed to get them right. Heather Fleener is a fantastic author and I love her writing style, such an easy read with a lot of action and intrigue.

Kaitriana is a witch and the book star
Dianne
Another new series gets a firm foundation and is off, dancing to its own beat! Chosen by Heather Fleener, the first book in her Ancients of Light series has the feel of an epic series, good vs evil, light vs dark and a prophesied hero who will rise up to lead the light to victory. Then, it morphs into a slightly quirky love story, blending ancient themes with contemporary ideas and attitudes. Best of all, the two main characters really don’t know much more than we do as we fall into their magica ...more
Isabelle
Sep 15, 2012 Isabelle rated it really liked it
It's a 4.5 stars for me. The only reason I'm not rating it 5 stars, it's because I believe the book to be a bit too long. I have no idea what should have been trimmed since the author was amazing at given the readers all pertinent information, and this is a saga really, which usually is long. But as much as I enjoyed the book, at the end I had the "finally" feelings within.

The world has two major forces, the dark and the light. The witches were created from the light and the vampires from the da
Jasmyn
Chosen was a great introduction to this series. It eased you into the world of the Realms and introduced you to its history of Light vs Dark very nicely. It is a rich world with a lot going on. Witches and Vampires have been warring for centuries - each chosing a side and fighting til death. When the Chosen is prophesied, a witch with unimaginable powers, everyone begins to watch for her - each with their own reasons. I wasn't a big fan of the Chosen, Kaitriana (although I love her name). While ...more
Moya
Mar 24, 2016 Moya rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed reading through the story of Lorcan the Vampire (slash Witch from Heritage but let's not talk about that) and Katriana, the fiery Witch he first meets as a young child and then centuries later after much change, and dark habitat activities.

Overall, the book did keep me reading at a fast pace wherever I could grab a couple of chapters. However I was a bit surprised at how quickly it came to an end, seemingly in the middle of the story and from what I can gather, although ther
Jordan
Kurt Bartling
Jan 24, 2015 Kurt Bartling rated it really liked it
If you like the Kings series by Heather Walden or the Carpathian books by Christine Feehan, you'll like this series ... it along the same line. It was an easy read, but I did find myself wishing it were done. Too much of the story was spent in Lorcan bedroom (it not quite as graphic as the two series mentioned), but you get the drift. The high tension moments were too few, and too quickly resolved. Lorcan can across, hard to like at times, very draconian much of the time ... but some people like ...more
Cara
Jan 09, 2015 Cara rated it really liked it
Excellent book. I have some issues with the book, but overall it was very enjoyable.
Kat has a great personality, but when she should have put up more of a fight with Lorcan (I think) she gives in too quickly.
I loved the detail of the time, surroundings and the character development. I wish the next book continued on with Kat and Lorcan's story, but it doesn't seem like it does. :(
Barbara Strickland
Mar 31, 2016 Barbara Strickland rated it it was amazing
Beautifully crafted, great read!!!
This was not what I expected as it had an air of freshness in the paranormal romance genre. Firstly it is beautifully crafted, descriptive and fluid and well thought-out, the latter something I have come to value as it lends credibility to the world building. Secondly the characters are truly interesting, and the love story richly sensual, explicit in feeling as much as in action. Vampires and Witches are not new but the approach here gives them a freshness that
Rebecca Johnson Dye
Nov 13, 2013 Rebecca Johnson Dye rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
OMG! Totally hooked from Chapter 1! Love the character of Kat, her story had me going through all emotions especially her trying to learn modern language! Totally had me laughing all the way through the book! Amazing story line & strong female characters! Can't wait the next book in this series.
FaeryMeganChase
Mar 04, 2016 FaeryMeganChase rated it it was ok
The romance was a nightmare, too much sexual tentsion between the couple......why the hell does there have to be sooooo much sex with Irish Warriors? i would think they have a life outside it.
Stracey Ishwar
Jul 24, 2014 Stracey Ishwar rated it it was amazing
Heather Fleener "Chosen" was Brilliant, Breath taking and Beautifully written. You did a phenomenal job portraying love, heartbreak, self-discovery, friendship and acceptance. The love that Kaitriana and Lorcan share is unfathomable and scorching hot. I love their playful banter even at times when Lorcan wants to strangle her. Author Heather Fleener I love how you can transport your characters to a world full of magic light and dark. To be able to capture every emotion and paint pictures with yo ...more
Christie R.
Oct 19, 2014 Christie R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A remarkable read!

I found this series to be in a class of its own. It was well written and had a great storyline. The characters were well developed and each brought something to the book. I found it fascinating that Kaitriana was such a breath of fresh air. She was not only regal but a brat by definition and gave as good as she received. Lorcan has his hands full with her and they make the best of each other. I love the battle between Light and Dark and cannot wait to continue on with the next
Frishawn Quinn
The Ancients of Light series was one that I fell in love with from book 1. Chosen, made for quite the introduction to Kaitriana, Lorcan, the world of Realm, and the wonderful cast of supporting characters that help to flesh out the story that heralds the beginning of an absolutely fabulous series.

Readers are allowed to grow up with Kat in this first read, as she is but a wee thing when first we me her and she meets Lorcan. This is when both he and she stake their claims on each other, and in the
Cerian
Apr 08, 2013 Cerian rated it it was amazing
Oh wow, I totally loved this book!
The world it is all set in, The Realm, is so well crafted and detailed. There are two sides, the light and the dark. The Light, originally just the witches, are created to help protect humans from the Dark- originally the Vampires. Eventually, some vampires became part of the light, and were united with the witches in fighting the dark, until a betrayal created a rift between the vampires and witches.
A prophecy is foretold of a female witch who will have powers
Katie
Dec 20, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
see this and more at Katie's Corner

Ever thought that Witch and Vampires can get along? Well, they kind of always want to kill each other, you can definitely see that in Melissa Darnell’s Clann Series. And well you can see it here too. So if you are a fan of Vampires, Witches and that kind of staff grab your copy now and get lost in a new world set by Heather Fleener.

Join Kaitriana and Lorcan in their journey of self-discovery, battles with Dark and betrayal from the most unexpected people. Kaitr
Amanda Masters
Nov 21, 2013 Amanda Masters rated it really liked it
I have only had time to read the first book so far but I am really enjoying the series! Heather Fleener has a unique storytelling and an incredible sense of what her audience wants to read. the magic, romance and action all make this a series a must read!

She is Chosen...
Kaitriana’s a powerful and foretold about witch with powers beyond those of others. She comes from an ancient and powerful race of people whose betrayal destroys her and leaves her and the realm in a downward spiral.

He is the K
Christie Palmer
My Review
Ultimatly this is a entertaining read. The love story pulls at a readers heart strings. And the action involved was very interestiong. The fantasy and world building was intense.

Liked:
Chosen has the feel of an epic fantasy novle with love and sex.

Kaitriana is a fisty and interseting character. I could totally picture her shoping on 5th Avenue. A real girls girl she is the type of person a reader can relate to.

While Lorcan is the hot vampire that will sweep you off your feet. He was st
Rachel
Jul 23, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Twilight & Sookie Stackhouse fans, Paranormal Romance readers, Vampire fans, strong heroines fans
Recommended to Rachel by: Melissa
The first third of this book I loved everything... the storyline, the world, the head strong four-year-old heroine, the way the author allows you to enter both main character's heads at once and how the story flows. On a side note, I want to thank the author for not over describing places which is a pet peeve of mine when reading. I want the meat of the story, not the gravy. The first night, I stayed up to 3 AM because I couldn't put the book down.

The second third, I enjoyed due to the romance
Ama J Blankson-Barnes
It tried...it really did

I thought that this premise was going to make for a great book...it started out great but then it just wasn't. It took me way longer than it normally would to finish it because the whole relationship between Kat and Lorcan got so redundant! I would have preferred way more in the way of conflict in the book (ie. battle with the Dark) instead of the two seconds we got at the end.
Rebecca  Cardenas
Jan 09, 2015 Rebecca Cardenas rated it it was amazing
I tried this author and then fell in love with her imagination and lively adventure saga. Heather Fleener makes you delve into the the world of magic, witches of light and dark as well as vampires. Her love story gets pretty steamy at certain points and just added to your complete addiction of having to finish the book. Enjoy the story of Kat and her adventure as the Chosen. I am on to book 2!! :)
Elizabeth Burgess
Five stars!!

Vampires and witches really aren't usually my favorite, but I thoroughly enjoyed the author's spin on the genre. From the beginning, her heroine, Kat, is sassy and spicy and has her own ideas about the way things should be in the Realm. I enjoyed the intermingling of all the characters and look forward to continuing with the other books in this series. Five stars!!
Kay Callahan
Oct 29, 2014 Kay Callahan rated it it was amazing
I think it's great when you stumble along a book this well written :-)I found this book by mistake and it caught my eye, reading the blurb I thought it would be just ok but I change that to great now I have read it :-)
I love that there was a lot of prejudice throughout between the witches and vampires let along side your more conventional light and dark.
Loved how 'sassy' Kaitriana is and how she speaks her mind and tries not to be too stubborn when it comes to Lorcan.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 12, 2015 08:49AM
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT 'CHOSEN' 1 8 Sep 10, 2012 05:03PM
Amazon 1 7 Sep 09, 2012 06:16PM
PNR/UF Addicts & ...: Chosen - Ancients of Light, Book 1 1 7 Sep 07, 2012 07:43PM
  • El libro de la sacerdotisa (Saga Vanir, #2)
  • Louca Por Você (After Dark, #1)
  • Air Ryder (Harper's Mountains, #3)
  • Come to Me
  • Octavian's Undoing (Sons of Judgment, #1)
  • Surrender to an Irish Warrior (MacEgan Brothers #6)
  • Eternity and a Day (Desires of the Otherworld, #1)
  • Rocky Mountain Miracle
  • Slade (The Protectors, #6)
  • All Hell Breaks Loose (Hellcat, #2)
  • Dark Alpha's Claim (Reaper #1)
  • Touching Rune (Heaven Sent, #2)
  • Sea Dragon (Dragon Knights, #9)
  • Darkness Seduced (Order of the Blade #2)
  • 7 Months (Time for Love, #7)
  • Forever Dusk (Mortal Machine, #3)
  • Finding My Pack (My Pack, #1)
  • Soul Surrender (Soul Stripper, #3)
About the Ancients of Light series
Chosen is the first in the thirteen books of the Ancients of Light series and is only the beginning of a young Witch’s journey toward developing both the strength of character and magic that will be required to fulfill her prophesied role as leader of the Light faction.

Revelations of nuances in the Prophecy - facets that were never fully comprehended by the Ancie
More about Heather Fleener...

Ancients of Light (5 books)
  • Forsaken (Ancients of Light, #2)
  • Broken (Ancients of Light, #3)
  • Mistaken (Ancients of Light #4)
  • Fallen