Start by marking “A Matter of Choice” as Want to Read:

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,977 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
It Was One For The Books...

Sgt. James "Slade" Sladerman had practically been born to the force, but he wanted to be a writer, not a cop. No one was more different from him than Jessica Winslow, who was wealthy and working only because she wanted to.

He felt the gap between them keenly, and almost refused to be her undercover bodyguard. But someone had to watch her and he'd
Mass Market Paperback, Silhouette Intimate Moments #49, 250 pages
Published May 1984 by Silhouette

To ask other readers questions about A Matter of Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Matter of Choice

Cyndi
May 19, 2014 Cyndi rated it did not like it
Eh. This was not Roberts best novel. I found the name of the male hero stupid - Slade. It's like a throwback to a romance from the 80s (which makes sense because that's when this was written). I didn't believe the instant connection between Jess and Slade. I didn't believe that Jess would find Slade's overbearing, almost abusive, attitude attractive. I didn't believe the premise of the case - it seemed highly unrealistic. I didn't find the mystery believable or particularly suspenseful. None of ...more
Jaqueline Miguel
Jul 27, 2013 Jaqueline Miguel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Este foi o primeiro livro que considero ter lido desta autora, apesar de já ter lido J. D. Robb e ter gostado muito.
Este livro é pequeno, tem um prólogo e apenas 12 capítulos, e penso que podia estar melhor aproveitado. Gostei bastante das descrições das casas, mobílias e jardins e, claro está, das cenas de amor entre os protagonistas. No entanto, achei o Slader um pouco forçado em termos de personalidade. Típico “bad boy” que na verdade é um “good boy”.
Estranhamente, achei este livro mais se
Laurel-Rain
Sergeant James Sladerman (Slade), of the NYPD, has mixed feelings about his career as a police officer. Writing is his first love, but for the time being, he writes after work. Everything in life is all about making hard choices.

So when his latest assignment takes him to a small Connecticut town to "babysit" Jessica Winslow, the owner of an antiques shop, while FBI agents circle, trying to find the kingpin of a smuggling operation that is using her shop, Slade is less than thrilled.

His cover, ho
Rebecca
Dec 27, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, 2014
I *almost* added this to my historical shelf. Set in 1984 and it really shows. Everyone is smoking ALL THE TIME. Other than that, I found the mystery part of the story totally predicable and most of the characters to be total creepers. It was the style of the time. Lesson Learned. Nora Roberts is great, but I need to stick to more recent contemporaries of hers.
Vicki
I kind of got tricked into reading this because I sorted the NR books available for my Nook from the library by publication date and this came out on top and had an unfamiliar title, so I thought this was new. But apparently publication to them means date it was put into e-book form, because this is almost as old as I am. As such, it has a lot of "she said no but her eyes said yes" and "kissed her to shut her up" bullshit in it. But it was kind of interesting to see how NR's writing improved as ...more
Katy M
May 22, 2014 Katy M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, a great read.

I don't like to go into detail about a book as I don't want to spoil it for others.
Nora Roberts is a consummate storyteller and consistently, seemingly effortlessly takes you into her vision.
This is one of her earlier works so lacks the maturity and depth of her more current books but, even so, her writing surpasses most, if not all, novelists.
Seamlessly combining mystery with the classic romance novel elements to a rarified level Ms. Roberts has once again worked her magi
Tammy Reeping
Dec 27, 2013 Tammy Reeping rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I started reading and couldn't put it down until I finished.
I can't wait for the next Nora Roberts book.
Phoebe James
While well written for 1984, it is so dated.

It's hard to find a man that calls his female love interest stupid and an idiot repeatedly, attractive. All the characters were a bit smarmy and the mystery part of this story was pretty obvious. The smoking ---all the time puffing on cigarettes.

This didn't do it for me, but maybe it was the thing for the 1980s.

Skip it - or better yet - let's have an update that makes this a more modern story. I should have known there was something wrong when it wen
Carla
Aug 30, 2010 Carla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, own, portuguese, 2010
No doubt this was the story by Nora Roberts that I most enjoyed so far, even though the romance continues to seem forced as in the other books I had the opportunity to read.

The ingredients are almost the same, a writer is looking for inspiration to finish his/her literary work (although in this book the writer is also a policeman), so he/she moves into the home of a member of the opposite sex to whom he/she feels attracted to. He/she fights against it, but the other character isn't indifferent t
Marcia Berg Haskell
Policeman tries to protect woman who doesn't believe she needs protection

Story of wealthy shop owner who is in danger but doesn't realize that she needs to have help in saving her from the criminals who have been hidden stolen goods in her store. The struggle to avoid romantic relationship between the main characters was painful to read, because the chemistry didn't feel real. This book felt like the precursor to the 'In Death' series which is a favorite series of mine.
Janice Spina
May 27, 2014 Janice Spina rated it it was amazing
A quick read by the talented writer of romance and mystery, Nora Roberts. This author always comes up with a good mystery with a little love interest thrown in.

I found myself swiftly turning each page to find out what kind of trouble the characters would get into next. The characters were strong and well defined and interesting.

Another winning book by Miss Roberts sure to please readers who love romance and mystery all in one.
Steph N
Whenever I am sick or just need a book that doesn't require much attention, I pick up something like this. It was silly and the plot was ridiculous and predictable but hey- it was a quick read and there was a happy ending. Oh, and for the record, there is nothing attractive about a male love interest that calls the woman "stupid" so often AND threatens to smack her. That doesn't make him bold and manly. It makes him an ass.
Ayu Wirdha
May 05, 2014 Ayu Wirdha rated it liked it
Jessica
Feb 13, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
What went trough my mind as I read this.
A new Nora Roberts e-book that's under two dollars. Yay!
A main character named Jessica. Yay!
Main character is blonde. Boo!
New e-book is a reprinting of something really old. Boo!
Story is really rehashed stuff from her other novels. Boo!
This book is boring. Boo!
Boo, I wish I had never got this book.
Ne
Dec 09, 2011 Ne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Que dizer de Nora Roberts... outra vez? Nada de original, pois todos os adjectivos positivos e elogiadores já foram usados para descrever as suas obras.
Neste pequeno conto, mas que serviu para matar saudades da sua escrita e criatividade, Nora enlaça-nos e puxa-nos para uma história repleta de paixão e suspense.
Como sempre, a escritora gosta de nos deixar na dúvida até ao final, o que faz com que devoremos o texto até à última página.
Neste caso reparei que os diálogos são um pouco mais rápidos e
Karen
Jan 25, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay book

Had I read the reviews first I might not have bought this Kindle deal, based on the fact it was written in the 80s and rereleased with a new cover. That is pretty irritating when it's not advertised as such. It has lots of 1-star reviews and I don't think it's that bad. That said, I love Nora Roberts, which is why I bought without checking further. I don't think it's one I'd recommend and certainly not one of my favorites but I'm not sorry I read it.
Vivian
Nov 19, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good romantic suspense! I had not read any reviews before I wrote this, so I didn't realize this was an older book. It didn't make any difference to me as I didn't see it as dated as I was reading it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Plenty of suspense and romance - highly recommend to fans of romantic suspense.
Suze
Nov 27, 2015 Suze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
With an original published date in 1984, this is an early Nora Roberts and it is a product of the times. Both in the actions of characters and the style of writing. Having been a Nora fan for a good few years it is interesting to have read one of these earlier books to see how much has changed in her story telling and still how much is the same.
Jess is a bit TSTL at times which always annoys me in any story and I think the more modern heroines she writes are not quite so bad. Independent lady wh
Emily Higgins
May 07, 2015 Emily Higgins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Sgt. Slade Sladerman is assigned to protect Jessica Winslow while various police agencies catch the jewel smugglers who are using her antique business as a front. Meanwhile, Slade and Jessica try to fight their mutual attraction to one another. Good story.
Caffenero
This is an oldie!
Phones were hung up... people were drinking vermouth... heroine was using hair-combs and flannel skirts.
Slade is smoking cigarettes, typing his novel and is bed-tempered... sort of a modern Humphrey Bogart :)
Krissie
Jul 04, 2014 Krissie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
loved it
Opal Sibley
Sep 26, 2015 Opal Sibley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sexy mystery

Quite a bit of dialog building the characters until we could picture them and just enough suspense to not want to stop reading. I have always been a fan and this one did not let me down.
Rita Woodby
Feb 16, 2014 Rita Woodby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nora roberts rocks

Nora roberts rocks

I loved this book. The characters stay with you for a long time, they are so real and complex. Nora roberts never disappoints.
B Greer
Jun 21, 2014 B Greer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story...

I really did read this in one afternoon. It kept me thoroughly entertained. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys mysteries and romances. It was an enjoyable read.
l
ms bookjunkie
Nostalgia, I has it. Charming and cute story amongst all the cigarette smoke. (Nostalgia, I do not have it for cigarette smoke! Seriously, everybody smokes—everybody male, that is.)
Janice Smith
Mar 09, 2015 Janice Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Matter of Choice

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. As always, this author keeps you spellbound until the end. You can't wait to see what happens.
Brittany
Jan 27, 2016 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nora-roberts
Classic Nora Roberts read steamy sex scenes, love, and mystery all wrapped into one big fat juicy read. I love Nora Roberts and her books are addicting fast reads!
Sherry Peters
Oct 01, 2015 Sherry Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
AMOC

You can hardly ever go wrong with a Nora Roberts book. She has always been one of my favorite authors and I was not disappointed this time either.
Iris Evans
Dec 30, 2014 Iris Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A matter of choice

I really enjoyed the mystery aspect of this story, but it didn't have enough depth to this part. The romantic part was good .
Claudia Patrick
Aug 06, 2014 Claudia Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Good read

it started out a little slower than I would have liked but quickly picked up. good easy read. on to the next
  • Secret Weapon Spouse (Miami Confidential #1)
  • Her Stolen Past
  • Undercover Bride (Undercover Ladies #2)
  • The Baby Rescue
  • Her Christmas Guardian (Mission: Rescue #2)
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Serafina and the Silent Vampire (Serafina's, #1)
  • The J.J. Graves Mysteries(J.J. Graves Mystery #1-3)
  • Compromised Identity
  • Colton's Surprise Heir
  • Scoop
  • Tempting the Wolf (Men Of The Mist #2)
  • Nightfall
  • Perfect Alibi
  • Backfire (Mountain Cove #3)
  • Twin Threat Christmas: One Silent Night\Danger in the Manger
  • Prince Charming M D (Silhouette Special Edition, 1209)
  • The Mercy Falls Collection: The Lightkeeper's Daughter / The Lightkeeper's Bride / The Lightkeeper's Ball (Mercy Falls #1-3)
Nora Roberts was born in Silver Spring, Maryland. She began writing when a blizzard in February 1979 kept her in her hilltop home with a three and six year old for nearly a week of canceled kindergarten and dwindling chocolate supplies.

During the now-famous blizzard, she pulled out a pencil and notebook and began to write a story for her own entertainment. From the first page, she knew it was wha
More about Nora Roberts...

“against his. No force of will could make his” 0 likes