Start by marking “Glory in Death (In Death, #2)” as Want to Read:
Glory in Death (In Death, #2)

Glory in Death (In Death #2)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  34,805 Ratings  ·  1,508 Reviews
The dead were her business. She lived with them, worked with them, studied them. She dreamed of them. And because that didn't seem to be enough, in some deep, secret chamber of her heart, she mourned them ...

The first victim is found lying on a sidewalk in the rain. The second in her own apartment building. Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas has no problem finding connections be
Published June 11th 2004 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published December 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Glory in Death, please sign up.

Kathrynrose It's been out since '95. It's the second book in the series. One recently came out, but that was Brotherhood in Death (number 42).
The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas HarrisDarkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff LindsayRed Dragon by Thomas HarrisAmerican Psycho by Bret Easton EllisThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
I Like Serial Killers
345th out of 688 books — 1,125 voters
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickDirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas AdamsShovel Ready by Adam SternberghNight Watch by Terry PratchettFalling Angel by William Hjortsberg
Best Offbeat Detective Novel Genre Mashups
57th out of 104 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 Kick-ass Stars

I'm sooo hooked on this series. I can't believe I kept postponing reading it. I would say that my review will come soon but it probably won't because I'd have to stop reading to write it.

Shawna
Jan 08, 2015 Shawna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of romantic suspense, tough heroines, & mysterious, dangerous, deliciously sexy alpha heroes
Recommended to Shawna by: Mom & several GR friends
5 stars – Romantic Suspense

Okay, I think I'm officially hooked on this series. After reading and loving Naked in Death, I immediately jumped right into reading this, and it's another great book in an addictive series.

I find the futuristic elements interesting, but I like that it's not too distracting to the story and characters. Lieutenant Eve Dallas is a complex character who I sort of feel a love/hate relationship towards because her toughness, dedication to justice, and devotion to representi
Phrynne
Feb 01, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is every bit as good second time around as it was the first and this particular book is one of the best ones. Eve and Rourke are at the beginning of their relationship and Eve is fighting it every inch of the way. Tissues are a required accompaniment to chapter nine. Peabody appears for the first time. Roarke does his very macho thing to protect his woman. All good in the land of 'In Death'. Love it:)
Buggy
Opening Line: "The dead were her business."

I originally started JD Robb’s In Death series because it was recommended to me by well… everyone. And Yes it is good. In fact I ended up liking this 2nd instalment even more then the first, however (except for Roarke) I don't totally love it either. The writing is top notch and Robb spins an easy to read, dark mystery filled with lots of interesting suspects(including Roarke again.) But I’m just not a fan of the police procedurals and therefore large p
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
View review on Under the Covers

I WANT TO MARRY YOU, ROARKE!!!!!

I'm going to use this review as an excuse to post more Gandy Candy.

Opening line: “The dead were her business.”

From that first line, I was sucked in. There is something about Robb’s writing that just sucks me in completely. I love the way she describes things. I love the way the words flow and I love that there’s this sense of detachment or coldness in the overall tone of her writing. It makes the mystery of the story that much more
Hulya Kara Yuksel
I'm cheating my husband with ROARKE. Yeah yeah, I'm in too much trouble. :D God dammit Roarke. Why are you so cute? :)

valee
Jul 06, 2010 valee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so happy I have found another series this good. I must admit I wasn't expecting to like it this much. What makes me the most happy person on Earth is that I heard every book in this series is as good as this first 2 and as there are 30 more of them still to read I will be extremely entertained for quite a while.

For what I have read and been told, every book in this series solves a different crime while Eve's and Roarke's relationship develops. I must say that this too have become one of my a
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Science Fiction for people who don't like Science Fiction!

Glory in Death is the second book in J.D. Robb’s wildly popular, futuristic, In Death series, and just like the first book, it’s an exciting, gritty, thrilling read.

The Story -

Two prominent women and a third ‘accidental’ have been found with their throats slashed, and as primary on the case, Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas has her hands full. With the list of suspects rising along with the death count, Eve is mentally and emotionally pushe
Duchess Nicole
I know this is first and foremost a murder mystery series but I can't stop thinking about Roarke. Let me get those pesky details out of the way and then commence the gushing, mnkay?

So the opening scene is once again Eve being called to the scene of a grisly murder. The chick's throat is slashed....blah blah....suspect must hate women...blah...Eve is super duper intuitive...blah, blah blah blah...lots of rich society people.....blah...reporters, policemen and detectives.

There! Necessary info out
Emily May

I intended to write a full review of this but there's not that much which needs to be said. A lot of what I mentioned in my review of Naked in Death also applies to the second novel. Excellent psychological murder mystery with a small romance story that just complements the novel as a whole and doesn't swamp it. Interesting characters, easy to read and even a dose of smut to go with it! Do you really want anything else?

Çisem
Mar 31, 2016 Çisem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zaten 5'den aşağı puan veremem Roarke varken.

Allahım ROARKE!!! R.O.A.R.K.E.!!!! Sen ne muhteşem bir adamsın yaaaa *-*
Eve paçozu da başta beni delirtse de sonunda adam oldu :D Senin kıymetini bilmeyenler utansın Roarke'cum. Bu arada kurgu güzeldi zaten gördüğünüz gibi ona hiç değinmiyorum bile.

Son olarak Roarke'a bir şarkı armağan etmek istiyorum;
Adını dağlara yazdım yarim
Buğulu camlara kazdım....
MaryG2E
This futuristic crime novel is a well-written, well-plotted, straight-forward narrative, which has a pleasing blend of police procedural and sexy romance. Robb enjoys dissecting the lifestyles and habits of the NY elite and powerful, holding up their sordid secrets to our scrutiny. Roarke is not immune from this and we get little hints that Eve’s handsome, powerful lover has some unsavoury episodes in his past. However, in terms of the whodunnit, all of this juicy detail is misdirection on the p ...more
Eastofoz
Dec 08, 2009 Eastofoz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who like a dollop of romance with their futuristic mystery novel
Overall “Glory in Death” is a good mystery/suspense story but if you’re looking for an equal balance of romance, seeing as it’s listed as « romantic suspense », you won’t get that here. The story is relatively quick paced and you have a good futuristic feel, but I kept wanting to read more about the growing intimacy between Roarke and Eve. The book is more borderline fiction than romance I thought because Robb tends to gloss over the steam a little too often and focus more on the rest of the sto ...more
 Anna (Wicked Book Blog)
While the story is initially what grabs you when you choose a book, isn't it the characters that keep you reading?

In this series, they certainly are.

The second book shows how the relationship between Eve and Roake evolves.
Eve is reluctant and scared of commitment which makes Roarke furious at most times. So you know what he does? Give her a taste of her own medicine. Yes, he's a vicious little smartass but we love him for that ;)

When things stop working or seem difficult, really all you need
P.A. Lupton
Dec 08, 2012 P.A. Lupton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book on audio. I don't know if it was because the narrator was so good (I read book 1) or if it was the story, but I liked this book a lot more than book 1. This is a fantastic series.

Eve is a fantastic character. She's tough, kick ass, smart, and she has hints of a troubled past. I like that the author doesn't dump a ton of information on us about her past, she gives tidbits in each book.

Roarke is sexy, arrogant, rich, and sensitive. I absolutely love him as a hero. These t
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK: JANUARY 24, 2014 - 5 STARS
Narrator: Cristine McMurdo-Wallis

Naturally, I couldn't remember any of the 9 In Death books that I read pre-2008 and to find a review or book blurb on GR is not easy because all anyone really talks about, or remembers, or bothers with, is Roarke. It's nothing but Roarke, Roarke, Roarke, from start to finish; from one book to the next.

Long after NR stops writing the series, I and countless other In Death fans, will still be smitten with him. Today, n
Zoey
Brilliant! Loved it!!

Have definitely become a fan of this series and there is soooo many more to read :)
Joy (joyous reads)
I’m finally getting around to reviewing this book. I know it’s practically from the vault, but this series is too wonderful not to talk about. Between the futuristic landscape and the suspense that took my breath away, this book/series is worth scouring the earth for. I like that the Science Fiction aspect is downplayed. Those books tend to be daunting. This series, however, combines Sci-Fi with Romantic Suspense (which, I’m a big fan of).

This book finds Eve in the middle of several murders of h
Lisa Kay
New York Police and Security Lieutenant, Eve Dallas, and international Irish billionaire, Roarke. Past, present, future - what a couple!. But this, the second chapter in their relationship, isn’t all smooth sailing. There is a compelling confrontation that bears listening to twice. Up shot? I’ll take Roarke, even hot under the collar. At the end of this eruption, Eve asks Roarke why he wants her.
“Why?” He tilted his head. “That's a tricky one. Could it be your serenity, your quiet manner, your
Tilly Slaton

At first, I was pretty irritated. I mean, seriously? I wasn’t sure what was going to happen but the way things suddenly changed, I was just a wee bit bummed.

Naked in Death was a wonderful book. Eve and Roarke shared a fun and intimate relationship. The bad guys were toast. Life was grand.

In the beginning of this book, the shit hit the fan to say the least. This isn’t a spoiler really. It’s just a .. “well okay then” moment.

“No, you never,” he interrupted coolly. “Never once risked your pride by
Carolyn
Dec 30, 2014 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, futuristic
This second book of the In Death series continues the story of tough, feisty Lieutenant Eve Dallas, NYPD cop and sexy, handsome, supersuave, mega billionaire Irish businessman Roarke. Both have survived difficult childhoods and are attracted to the damage below the surface that they sense in each other. In this episode, two prominent women have been murdered in a similar fashion and Eve must hunt down the killer before he strikes again despite the complete absence of clues or motive. The story i ...more
Anuradha
I liked Roarke infinitely more than I did in the previous book, except if I were to marry him, I'd ask him to change his name. Eve was a big bitch baby in this though, and I wanted to kill her. Like with a gun or something, not with the fancy weapons of the future. Otherwise, the book was pretty much the same; same serial killer stuff, same predictable villain. (view spoiler) ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
2016

June 27 2012 4 STARS

"The first victim was found lying on a sidewalk in the rain. The second was murdered in her own apartment building. Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas had no problem finding connections between the two crimes. Both victims were beautiful and highly successful women. Their glamorous lives and loves were the talk of the city. And their intimate relations with men of great power and wealth provided Eve with a long list of suspects--including her own lover, Roarke. As a woman, Ev
Samantha
May 03, 2015 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glory In Death follows Lieutenant Eve Dallas as she works to capture the person slashing successful women's throats. This was my second "In Death" book and while the murderer is fairly easy to figure out, I enjoyed the mystery plot a lot more than Innocent in Death. However, my rating for Glory In Death is entirely for the mystery because I hated the sub-plot of Eve's relationship drama with Roarke.

Basically, the characters are on different levels in their relationship. Roarke wants commitment a
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read: October 2012
It took me forever to finish it :D but it was really cool!

2nd Read: August 2014
We just met another character that we're still reading about... I love this!
Monica **can't read fast enough**
This was a good one and the narration was again enjoyable. The four stars is because I figured it out too soon! Review to come.
Brittany B.
May 17, 2012 Brittany B. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Casual, RS-lite readers
3.5 Stars (though I almost gave it 4- until I wrote the review and realized I was disappointed in NR)

I'm sorry to my In Death friends, I'd love comments on any difference of opinion. I like the characters, Roarke is a god and Eve is seriously growing on me. But Nora Roberts rarely gives it her all.

Well, I know this is just a book. And I need to suspend disbelief a little to enjoy many of my favorite authors, series, books, movies, etc.
But serial killers are not like this at all. I don't mean
Barbara
Mar 01, 2010 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
<5 Stars...I LOVED it!

Not as good as the first...but oh my it's still a 5 Star!!!

I know now that I'm in trouble with this series...how in the world am I going to be able to read anything else now that I've started?! I'll try to make myself quit after the next one in line because I don't want to burn myself out...but HOW will I do it?!

The only concerns I have...and I mean the only (at this point) is...Is Roarke going to continue to be the suspect in every case AND where do Roarke and Eve go fr
Leah
Okay, I have to say again that I can't believe I waited so long to start this series. I. Love. It. I want to marry it. Well, Roarke. I want to marry Roarke. And Eve is awesome. I don't think I've ever really liked a heroine so much. I mean, really. How the hell can she be so damn awesome? And the lucky bitch has Roarke wrapped around her finger! Aside from them, I love the cases. I'm sure some people probably think that the series gets repetitive or monotonous, but I think that the cases Eve sol ...more
Lauren
Glory in Death
4 Stars

Homicide Lieutenant Eve Dallas’s investigation into the deaths of two prominent and successful women takes a personal turn when both victims are linked to her lover - the enigmatic business magnet known only as Roarke. Although she believes in his innocence, as a police detective, Eve is to follow every lead no matter where it takes her.

Suffice it to say that the reasons J.D. Robb fans adore this series are starting to become clear to me: Fast paced writing, interesting char
J.D. Robb : Glory In Death Buddy Read - Feb. 2016 (Spoiler Zone) 385 68 Apr 21, 2016 06:42PM
A Million More Pages: 2 - Glory in Death (In Death): May 10 55 28 Jun 16, 2015 03:17PM
J.D. Robb : Glory in Death (Spoiler Zone) 61 95 Oct 28, 2014 12:52PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #7 - Glory in Death 1 2 Jan 31, 2014 12:40PM
J.D. Robb : Not Quite Right 11 50 Jul 25, 2013 11:33AM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: * Glory In Death Discussion Thread *SPOILERS* 32 344 Mar 01, 2013 01:52PM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Cry No More
  • Breaking Point (I-Team, #5)
  • Ice Blue (Ice, #3)
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
  • Sticks & Stones (Cut & Run, #2)
  • I'm Watching You (Romantic Suspense, #3; Chicago, #2)
  • The Dark Tide (Adrien English Mystery, #5)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

“We're standing here, beat to shit, walking away from a crime scene where either or both of us could have bought it, and you're asking me to marry you?"
"Perfect timing.”
172 likes
“Fuck him."

Feeney made a sound like a man who'd been pinched. "Christ Jesus, Dallas, you're in St. Pat's."

"If God's going to make little weasels like him, she's going to have to listen to complaints.”
28 likes