Start by marking “Novelist's Essential Guide to Creating Plot” as Want to Read:
Novelist's Essential Guide to Creating Plot

Novelist's Essential Guide to Creating Plot

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Allows readers to focus on and examine in depth the structure of a novel -- either one on which they're currently working or one that they are planning.
Published August 15th 2000 by Writer's Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about Novelist's Essential Guide to Creating Plot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Novelist's Essential Guide to Creating Plot

Juergen John Roscher
Date First Read: 19-Jul-2010

This book was my first formal introduction to the subject of creating plot for a novel. Since it is my first book on the subject, I don’t have a good feel for how good this book covers the subject matter. I did learn the basics of how to create a plot for a novel, so I believe that it was worth the time and effort to read. I may find with further study that this book deserves a higher rating.

Some of the key concepts that I learned about plotting from this book:
1. The
Sandy Parsons
Sep 11, 2014 Sandy Parsons rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
Unlike Davis, I don't think plot is more important than character, but I have shifted a bit and now I'd say it's more like 60/40 character to plot. Plot gives your characters something to do, and pulls them along so that they don't wander off aimlessly and get into trouble in ways that you just can't fix.

The tone of the book is somewhat condescending, as if he was lecturing a bunch of recalcitrant 8th graders, but for the most part, the advice is sound on the basics. And it's always good to revi
John Hanson
Dec 22, 2014 John Hanson rated it really liked it
Overall it reads as if it should be shorter. There is a lot of filler and some rather pointless discussion. The book is based on the author's opinion and apparently experiences from his practical writing career. He has written what he knows and what works for him. It is a beginner to intermediate craft book, and it should help all writers in some way. It is not an academic treatise.

I enjoyed the discussion on Aristotle's "Poetics." I agree that plot is most important. I am not sure Davis made th
Samantha
Jan 19, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book actually broke down my reasoning for not wanting to bother with time-consuming, overwhelming outlines. I picked this for the Salt Lake Library's challenge to read a "self improvement" book, while working on my story's first draft. I have found at least 3 or 4 or 7 helpful suggestions, mostly found at the end of the chapters in the "instant workshop" sections. Most of the meat in the chapters is just elaborating on the principles that you'll practice when you get to the workshop. Howeve ...more
Joe
May 15, 2009 Joe rated it really liked it
A lot of information and presented in a way that I can understand. First book that I've read on the topic, so its hard to say if it is really good or not, but I got something out of it.

-Joe-
Enid Wilson
Mar 16, 2012 Enid Wilson rated it liked it
I liked the development from plot to scene and to story. But the font is a bit too small for my ageing eyes. I would have given it 4 stars if I could read it more easily.
Trista
Apr 28, 2015 Trista rated it it was amazing
Very helpful and informative. If you're writing a book, I recommend reading this.
Bob Conder
Jun 16, 2012 Bob Conder rated it it was amazing
Good book for ploting all types of storytelling.
Christi Lupher
Jan 24, 2015 Christi Lupher rated it really liked it
Best book on plot I've found.
Roland Martinez
Nov 08, 2012 Roland Martinez rated it it was amazing
Best plot book I have read.
R.M.
Oct 23, 2014 R.M. rated it liked it
Shelves: writer-s-digest
Plot is everything.
Susan Dash
Susan Dash marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Rae M.
Rae M. added it
Jun 08, 2016
Becky Murray
Becky Murray rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2016
Julio Andrade
Julio Andrade marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Athena
Athena added it
Feb 21, 2016
Taryn Hudson
Taryn Hudson marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Renita
Renita rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Monica Rodriguez
Monica Rodriguez rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2016
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Gail
Gail is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2016
Paul Hummer
Paul Hummer rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Adrianne Griffey
Adrianne Griffey rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Kailey
Kailey marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Tora
Tora marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016