Start by marking “The Address Book” as Want to Read:
The Address Book

The Address Book

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  44 reviews
"The Address Book," a key and controversial work in Sophie Calle's oeuvre, lies at the epicenter of many layers of reality and fiction. Having found a lost address book on the street in Paris, Calle copied the pages before returning it to its anonymous owner. She then embarked on a search to come to know this stranger by contacting listed individuals--in essence, following ...more
Published October 31st 2012 by Siglio (first published September 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Address Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Address Book

Tuck
a funny investigation into a man via his contacts. also an artful rendering of the "investigation" of a stranger through their "friends". calle became rather famous for this work in 1983, and siglio of los angeles re-issued it in 2012.
for hipsters and readers and art lovers.
ask yourself what YOUR friends would report about you, if someone, a stranger, would ask. would you be handsome? a dope? kind? weird?
misunderstood

this book makes a cameo in heti's 2012 novel How Should a Person Be? A Novel f
jess
Dec 20, 2012 jess rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Sophie Calle found an address book on the street in Paris. She returned the book to its owner, but not before copying the contents. She proceeds to call through the address book and ask each person to meet with her, explaining the address book but refusing to reveal the owner's identity unless they meet with her in person. She is, essentially, creating a portrait in negative space of the man based on the impressions of his friends and acquaintances. And it's creepy. Like, really creepy. Especial ...more
Maggiemay (Eugenia)
Well - there goes 40 minutes of my life that I'll never get back!!!!
Robert Boyd
I was eager to read this book, a key piece of the art of Sophie Calle. The story is well-known: Calle finds an address book of a man named Pierre D; in an attempt to get to know him, she contacts people in the address book at random and asks them to talk to her about Pierre D.; these interviews are published in Liberation; Pierre D. sees the interviews and is outraged at this violation of his privacy, and shuts the project down; a deal is made that these interviews will never be republished unti ...more
Lindsay
This is one of those concepts I wish I’d come up with first.

Sophie Calle, while walking one day, happened upon a man’s address book that had fallen in the road. She picked it up, copied the pages, returned it to the owner, Pierre, and then proceeded to call and meet with the contacts in Pierre’s address book with the intention of piecing together an impression of his identity.

Wow.

If this sounds like a total invasion of privacy, I agree. A brilliant invasion of privacy? Couldn’t agree more. What
Dorene
The GOOD: This was chosen for my book club, and provoked an extremely interesting and thoughtful discussion!

The BAD: I did not like the author's abrupt writing style, nor did I appreciate her obvious attempt to increase the artistic factor to make up for the very sparse text. I found her endeavor highly inappropriate and her lack of appreciation for that made me very unconfortable with the whole premise and exercise.

The UGLY: I really regret plunking down the $25 for this book which took me les
Heather
After finding a lost address book on the street, Sophie Calle reaches out to all its contacts, meeting friends, strangers, and acquaintances of its mysterious owner, Pierre D. The shocking realization that this book is a collection of a non-fiction serial publications reminded me that pining curiosity still exists in the real world. I thought of my own childhood, when I could not resist walking my block without shoes, hiding dimes in the ring slots of my jewelry box, burying small toys at the ba ...more
Robin J
Sophie Calle found an address book lost on a Paris street and she contacted many of the people listed in the book to create a portrait of the owner--a man she never directly names. The different impressions related by the various friends, colleagues and lovers of this man form a fractured but fascinating picture. Ultimately an interesting voyeuristic experience--the sophisticated French version of reality TV--that is pleasurable and engaging.
Steve
Interesting concept, but in the end I I wanted more... I might have been more fulfilled if it was approached as a story/book with a stronger narrative rather than an piecemeal art project. Nevertheless, well worth the read.
Ellen
I agree with other commenters that this was creepy and voyeuristic in a way, but I choose to give this high marks as it is one of few books I have read which mentions Lapland as a place worth devoting one's time to.
Dan
Fantastic premise (woman finds address book on street, goes to visit everyone in it to find out more about the owner) though the execution gets a bit boring. Works more as a piece of art than as a compelling book.
Margot
The Address Book documents Calle's efforts to learn all about a stranger by interviewing his friends and acquaintances after stumbling across his lost address book.

The book offers a very interesting premise. Unfortunately, I feel like Calle didn't take it far enough. She was too afraid to step on anyone's toes. It also would have been rather interesting if she had actually gone so far as to meet the man, in the end. I also felt like most of the many photos included had no relation to the text--
Christopher Fox
Leaving aside the ethics of what Calle did in using a found address book to snoop into the owner's life, this is a slender volume made even more ephemeral by the filler pages (blank or with a photograph that seemingly has nothing to do with the text). While a rather quizzical portrait of the owner does emerge from the recollections of a few of his address book entries, it's by no means complete. One feels a little like a voyeur (in the unseemly sense) and I felt somewhat as though I'd wasted my ...more
Lisa Guidarini
The premise is writer Sophie Calle came upon a lost, red diary with a black spine lying on a street. Investigating it, she got the idea of contacting the people whose names were listed in the book, then setting up interviews in order to find out more about the owner, to re-create a portrait of him.

Some agreed to meet her, some didn't. He turned out to be somewhat a Bohemian, 30ish man who worked in the film industry. He lived alone, wasn't involved in any romantic relationships and was describe
Margo
The type of book you can read in an hour at a coffee shop and feel pure bliss while doing it. Calle finds an address book lying on the streets of Paris and calls each person in it in an attempt to get to know the owner of the book before she sends it back to him. It has pictures, is often written in stream-of-consciousness, and really is a novel idea.
Andrea
An interesting perspective/take on character development, I'll keep this on my shelves for future reference. As a standalone book, it left me wanting more, but it felt a little more complete when I remembered that it was published originally as installments in a magazine.
Mohamad Alaliwi
I simply like it - I like the end the most. The French touch in this book reminds me of the famous French film Amelie; similar concept, similar story.. Ahh, it looks like I'm in love with the French lifestyle!
Christine
An interesting project, but pretty nosey, esp. for France. I found it fascinating how similar all the accounts of the unknown subject were, and how loyal his people were. I was also intrigued by the conflict between art and manners, both of which are aspects of culture.
ania
sophie finds an address book on the ground and proceeds to call the contacts to put together a profile of the owner.
Barnaby Thieme
I review Sophie's book on my blog here: http://mesocosm.net/2014/09/05/sophie...
Marta Boksenbaum
This book is captivating in a voyeuristic way, reading about a woman interviewing a man's friends and acquaintances from his address book she found on the street. As a reader I went between feeling strange and guilty, that the author was a stalker, and being completely fascinated by the various accounts of this one man. I wish I could see how these entries were originally published in Liberation magazine, it must have been even more intriguing to the reader who had to wait for the next edition t ...more
Adriana
Sophie Calle!
Oriana
Dec 07, 2012 Oriana marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-read-soon
Whoa, this sounds cool. Rec'd thus by the fabulous Word bookstore in Greenpoint:

For fans of Miranda July's particular style of fascination and inquiry, this book details Sophie Calle's unique project: she found an address book in Paris and copied all of the contacts before returning it. She then set out to get to know the owner through the lens of his acquaintances and loved ones.
Molly
In the 1980's writer Sophie Calle found the address book of a man named Pierre on a Paris street. She proceeded to contact the people in the book in order to get to know this man and create a profile of him, which she published as a serial in a magazine. This is that serial collected together and published as a book.

I thought the concept was interesting, but I found the execution a bit dull.
The Art Book Review
"...you see the potential within her to break the construct of the project, for this to go totally off the rails and that tension is perhaps the best part."

Read Sarah Williams' full review of "The Address Book" here:
Robin Rousu
Very French, very short. Only if you are in the mood to mull over the nature of identity and the subjectivity of information. Earnest, brave, perhaps a little pretentious. Impeccably crafted. Recommended.
Michelle
Love, love, loved this.... One scene at a time, Sophie reinvents a man thru interviews with random people she contacts after finding them in a little address book that the man had left behind.
Anna Lancaster
This was an experiment that I'm not sure worked well as a book. It provoked a lot of thought about identity and I think that was the point.
Linda Michel-Cassidy
To be read with Leviathon. I just loved this. Beautiful images, and I love her weird stance as observer. It's nice as an object as well.
  • Things I Don't Want to Know
  • Sophie Calle: Did You See Me?
  • Francesca Woodman
  • Brothers: On His Brothers and Brothers in History
  • The Compleat Purge
  • The Bride and the Bachelors: Five Masters of the Avant-Garde
  • Canal House Cooks Every Day
Double Game Exquisite Pain Take Care of Yourself Appointment with Sigmund Freud Suite Vénitienne/Please follow me