Start by marking “The Road From Chapel Hill” as Want to Read:
The Road From Chapel Hill

The Road From Chapel Hill

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Eugenia Mae Spotswood, the daughter of a failed aristocrat, longs to regain the life she lost. The slave Tom wants one thing: freedom. After becoming the property of Eugenia Mae, a dangerous affection grows. But he learns freedom is not something she can give him - he must fight for it himself. Clyde Bricket, the farm boy responsible for Tom's capture, has always believed ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by Berkley Trade (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Road From Chapel Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road From Chapel Hill

Cynthia
Plot: Set during the civil war Chapel Hill and other areas in North Carolina, Eugenia is a young woman whose family fortune is lost and she now works at a gold mine town. Tom is a young slave who tries to run away but is later captures and sold to Eugenia and her father. Clyde is a young hillbilly boy who wants to become a slave patroller. Their stories connect in a wonderful way and their attitudes and lives change for the better.

What I liked about the book:

I live in Chapel Hill so that is what
Mina
This book can be summed up in one word: MEDIOCRE. I found myself entirely incapable of caring about any of the characters. It was one of those books where I reached the end and wondered what the point of it was. I think I know what the author was going for, but I didn't find anything in this book remotely compelling. I was definitely tempted to abandon it partway through.
Charlene
I enjoyed all the details about how life might have been for southerners during the Civil War, especially towards the end of the war when food, shelter & clothing were difficult or impossible to come by. I think I would have liked more closure for the characters. There are a lot of unanswered questions - will there be a sequel?
Stephanie
I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to any historical fiction fans. One warning though, this book is set before and during the civil war and has situations of racism and war typical of that time. Also, it takes a couple chapters to get into the story but I'm glad I stuck it out since the story got much better.
Sally Buckner
Jun 04, 2007 Sally Buckner rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers interested in history
How those who opposed the war worked to help wounded Union soldiers in Salisbury, NC. From history and such novels as Cold Mountain I already knew how the war disrupted the civil society and made ruffians of ordinary people, but Scott reminded me of the corruptions caused by war.
Kelly
I don't always enjoy history books, but this one was different. I like the intertwining stories of the three main sections of the book. There is a young woman and her father, a slave named Tom, and a boy named Clyde. Based in the Civil War era this was a great book to read.
Jsimpson143
If you like North Carolina historical fiction, you'll like this. The main character is a young woman who goes from a life of privilege to one of service to wounded Conferederate deserters. Scott's development of main and supporting characters is outstanding.
Joycelyn
I wondered throughout the book how the author would tie together these three distinct yet interrelated characters and stories. I am still wondering as the end left as many questions as answers. A lot of this novel is somewhat grim and depressing.
Caitlin
I liked this better than I thought I would. I expected something very formulaic and predictable, but it continued to surprise me, right to the end. Interesting look at what was going on in and around my current hometown during the Civil War.
Rachel
I was really disapointed in this book. I couldn't figure out how Clyde had any relavance or importance in the novel other than to annoy me. The end was also saddening and didn't tie up any of the loose ends that the author had created.
Heather
A sweeping tale set in the south during the Civil War, in which three people, worlds apart, are joined in a struggle for something greater than themselves. It was a well written book, vivid in detail, but not a fun read.
Shelie
I didn't like the reader much and the story just seemed kind of unemotional when it should have been more. I think it would have been better to read than to have listened to it.
Cynthia T
Companion book to Child of the South. Generally about life in post Civil War in North Carolina. Learned alot of history. Learned there was once a "poorhouse" in Greensboro!
Msporter64
I thought it was prdictable, but I was wrong. I wanted to keep reading, but was a bit disappointed. However, it does inspire me to want to read more about the Civil War.
Caroline
Oct 09, 2007 Caroline rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: North Carolinians and people who enjoy history
Histocial fiction about a young woman and a male slave during the Civil War era. The whole story takes place in North Carolina, with special emphasis on Chapel Hill.
Diane
Dec 29, 2009 Diane rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
Not what I had hoped for from a historical fiction novel about the Civil War. There were parts that were interesting but most of it was rather boring.
Cj Nelson
Simple, predictable. If you are ever in the mood for a quick easy read that doesn't weigh down your mind, here you go.
barbara hinderer
I technically didn't 'read' this book. I got almost 100 pages into and had to give up. I just couldn't get into it.
Julie
I enjoy the Civil War time period. I was sad at the end, but I guess things always don't work out as I hope!
Penny
I hadn't read a good civil war novel in a while and it was good to get back into that genre.
Katie
Caylej added it
Oct 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Need combining 6 22 Mar 26, 2012 08:19PM
The Lucky Gourd Shop Cassandra, Lost Night Huntress: Poems Charlie Breakfast at the Shangri-La