Raise the Titanic!

Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt #4)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  14,203 ratings  ·  414 reviews
The Sicilian Project is the undercover plan of the decade. It is undoubtedly the best-kept secret since the atomic bomb. And it's the President's baby. If successful, it will create a defense network that will insure America's security from foreign attack for the foreseeable future. The sole hitch is that the project requires a quantity of Byzantium, an extremely rare elem...more
Published 1976 by Viking Press

I think I was in high school when Kate Winslet stood on the bow of the Titanic and let Leonardo DiCaprio take her in his arms as their doomed love affair began onscreen. I saw not only what the Titanic looked like from its final resting place on the bottom of the sea, but also James Cameron's lovingly crafted vision of the Titanic when she sailed on her maiden voyage. This said, Clive Cussler's original imagining of the raising of the Titanic was breathtaking. It was not hard to believe in a wor...more
Pam (E.P. Scott)
Two dedicated, patriotic scientists, a wife's struggle to save a marriage for the sake of a nation, a President with a secret and Russian spies all collide over a mysterious government sector and a weapon like the world has never seen before.

Once again Dirk Pitt is in the thick of it and finds himself in the middle of a race to extract the last ingredient to make it all work; the only problem? The ingredient is tied to the Titanic. Now Pitt's finds himself considering the impossible; raising th...more
Eric
Aug 08, 2013 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: James Bond fans
Recommended to Eric by: Lynda Kaemerling
I decided to read a Dirk Pitt book after noticing that Sahara, a Matthew McConaughy movie I enjoyed a while back, was based on a literary character. I decided to read this book instead of Sahara since I was not familiar with the specific story, but was familiar with the ship.

As for this book, it was interesting although beyond unrealistic at times. It was fairly well written, although I would not call it spellbinding.

I did have a few specific gripes with the book (spoilers follow):

- Although it...more
Feliks
The cover blurb really, is not fibbing when it gleefully informs you that this is "Dirk Pitt's greatest adventure!". For, it truly is.

Its a one-of-a-kind conception. A unique reading experience in the annals of all paperback thrillers past, present, and future.

And--if memory serves--this is the author (Clive Cussler's) first novel. Or at least the first 'Dirk Pitt' novel. I'm not sure. Its certainly the one which brought him international fame. Simply stated, he knocks it out of the dang ballpa...more
Rob
Steve
Jun 27, 2010 Steve rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fiction
I saw the movie "Raise the Titanic" way back when I was a little kid and had a fondness for the movie (which I suspect was a really, really bad movie given that it disappeared quickly and has never been seen since). Mostly I remember the Titanic surfacing and thinking "wow, that was cool." So I thought the book would be fun, too.

It's not. It's awful-terrible-horrible even by my standards for thrillers, which can be pretty good even when they're pretty bad. Now, I love a good thriller, but I had...more
Krys
I have avoided Clive Cussler like the plague due to him being one of two authors he tried desperately to push on me and my brother growing up. He swore by Dirk Pitt as the symbol of adventure and patriotism and I tell you I never knew one day I'd pick up the book and be writing a review like this.

I was pleasantly surprised by how this book turned out. What started out for me as a slow and overly political book about spies and Russians and Americans and espionage turned into a very intense experi...more
Jim Razinha
Context is everything...and should probably be considered when re-reading early Cussler books. He might have thought he was crafting a strong female character, must he was sexist through and through in attempting it. Think 20 something male and a culture of Hugh Hefner in the 70s with an underwater James Bond who never fails to get the girl, even in the most remote environments and you'll get the picture.

As this was just his third novel, Cussler had yet to perfect his maddening habit of having...more
Todd Russell
When I was younger I enjoyed reading the James Bond books and Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt is sort of like James Bond in the Navy. He's got the attitude and charisma with the ladies anyway. Raise the Titanic is an exciting read for fans of the Titanic. The story is written to happen in 1988 but was actually written in the 70s.

There is valuable material buried in a vault inside the Titanic that the United States wants and spends hundreds of millions to have a team of specialists led by NUMA man Dir...more
Samantha Fontien
This was my first taste of Clive Cussler. I read this in 1984 as a fourteen year old. As you can imagine I fell hopelessly in love with Dirk Pitt and I still AM. LOL, My Father was a huge Cussler Fan and had every book. I choose this one first because it was about the Titanic (and I love Titanic stuff) after I finished this I read everything by him in a month, my father was very proud of me and we had the most wonderful discussions on every book.

C.Cussler's writing is fantastic as a stand ALONE...more
Ross Armstrong
This wasn't the first Dirk Pitt novel, but it was the one that firmly established Cussler's formula. The story opens aboard the Titanic in 1912. A mystery is set up. Move to the near future. (Yes, the future. The book was published in 1976 but set in 1987.)
The U.S. is working on a Star Wars style missile defense program but the only power source strong enough is a rare mineral that can only be found on a Russian owned island. Dirk Pitt is sent to investigate and discovers that the ore was mined...more
Stephanie
I've had trouble reading the past few years or so, and so when a friend handed me this book I was a little skeptical. But it's engaging, easy to read and fun.

The only parts tough to stomach are some sexism that places the author squarely as an artifact of his time, but otherwise an engaging read. Additionally, I love the subject of the Titanic so I'm sure that added to my enjoyment.
Cathia
I only read this book because one of my PCV neighbors said it was the worst book ever, and we agreed to swap horrible books to compare (my horrible recommendation being "The Seventh Secret" by Irving Wallace). I say my terrible book was worse than this one, but it was a close call. I'm actually surprised that his Dirk Pitt novels are such best sellers.
Michael Hendrickson
good book... I had seen the movie Raise the titanic a few years ago and I happened to find the book at a used book store.. glad I read the book it happens to have a totally different ending then the movie itself... and as usual the book goes into more detail
AndrewP
Considering that this book was written some 9 years before the wreck of the Titanic was actually located it makes interesting reading. Cussler did not know that the wreck had broken in two and the amount of decay and damage to the ship is a lot more than he predicated, but quite a few other points were close.

On a technical level there are a lot of things wrong with this book. The element Byzanium is totally fictional as is what it is going to be used for, the method of raising the Titanic is iff...more
Tony
Goddamn, Cussler is one clunky writer writer. Someone give this guy an eraser or a red pencil.

Red purely for its pulp charm, that faded way before the halfway point. But now at least, I can say I read something by this guy. Yuck.
Jonathan
Better than the awful movie that was based on the book. But still not that great. The Cold War premise of the plot and its tie to the Titanic are very clever. But most of the characters are cliche.
Michelle Lour
Dirk Pitt novels are what they are. Not going to grow any brain cells reading them but they make for some good entertainment if I'm in the mood to get past how the women in his novels are portrayed.
Ryan Burt
Actually i really enjoyed this book. Hooked me right from the beginning. Don't get me wrong it wasn't like it was a masterpiece. But very entertaining. Good fun read.
Natalie
I read this book because Rex is a HUGE fan of Dirk Pitt. It's definately action packed but over the top. Dirk Pitt is a womanizing action hero that belongs in a comic book.
Ron
I generally enjoy these light reads in a beach chair with a cold beer but I found this one a little over the top.
Carri
I read this for my Readers' Advisory class, to learn about the adventure genre. Did not like. :(
Jenna
This book stunk. Bad language and other elements.
Nick
Absolute garbage, occasionally laugh-out loud bad.
Barbara ★
I mostly enjoyed this book though the first 1/3 was rather boring and I kept thinking "WTH is NUMA and Pitt". It focused on the President and his secret defense agency and making their hopeful Sicilian Project a reality. I found that I liked Gene Seagram (though not his wife Dana) and Mel Donner but they were basically politicians with political agendas which were somewhat boring. I though it weird that the President hit on the wife of one of his scientists. WTF was up with that. I think Cussler...more
Mars
Dirk Pitt, the special projects director of the National Underwater and Marine Agency, A.K.A. NUMA. He's not-quite-clairvoyant-but-guesses-with-uncanny-accuracy, is super-good (in the alignment sense), is quite the ladies' man, and risks his life at the least provocation.

The writing is pretty good, the action is actiony, the whole thing is not particularly feminist-friendly but then what is, and the entertainment level is pretty high.

But each book has at least one non-negligible part that is abo...more
David
An early Clive Cussler, Dirk Pitt adventure extravaganza that was first published in 1976 (and later made into a movie). A breakout novel for Cussler at the time, on a subject that was held with such awe. It must be remembered that when this novel was first published, the Titanic had yet to be located. In fact, locating and/or salvaging anything from the Titanic was though to be akin to travelling to the moon.

As the years passed, the subsequent locating, archiving, exhibitions and blockbuster m...more
Sean McBride
I was in need of a good adventure, so I looked through my shelves of unread books and came across the next in the Dirk Pitt line. So far in the series I have been a bit dissapointed with the adventure aspect of the novels, they read a bit like a cross between Tom Clancy, Ian Fleming and James Rollins, though thus far, I'd prefer to read the others first.

The Character of Dirk Pitt is that of a government stooge, although he is brilliant at everything he does. The problem with creating a character...more
I guess this book will never be remade into a movie again. 14 55 Nov 23, 2012 02:29PM
  • The Medusa Stone (Philip Mercer, #3)
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • Area 7 (Shane Schofield, #2)
  • Running Blind
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • The Loch Ness Legacy (Tyler Locke, #4)
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton, #10)
  • Deep Fathom
  • Drink With The Devil (Sean Dillon #5)
  • The Aviators (Brotherhood of War, #8)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time...more
More about Clive Cussler...
Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11) Inca Gold (Dirk Pitt, #12) Atlantis Found (Dirk Pitt, #15) Valhalla Rising (Dirk Pitt, #16) Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)