Start by marking “Haunted Asylums” as Want to Read:
Haunted Asylums

Haunted Asylums

Go behind the barbed wire and explore the many sanitariums or asylums that were intended to help the mentally ill but only contributed to their afflictions. Learn the history behind the infamous Riverside patient Mary Mallon, also known as Typhoid Mary. Get spooked by the gothic and foreboding buildings at Danvers State Hospital in Danvers, Massachusetts, which became both ...more
Published November 1st 2012 by Schiffer Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Haunted Asylums, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted Asylums

Rebecca McNutt
I loved the film Session 9 so I was looking into finding books on the history of Danvers State when I came upon this one. I liked it, it has a lot of good info, but trying to bring ghosts into it seemed a little irrelevant and ridiculous. There were also several typos, including spelling "cuckoo" as "coco" and merging separate words together like "mental hospital" becomes "mentalhospital" by mistake. I think if the book were edited it could do much better off.
Melissa
This book had its flaws including spelling mistakes and on page 54 there is a sentence describing an asylum discussed on page 50. Besides the flaws and the randomness of the information this was a pretty good read. E.R. Vernor tells the history of the treatment of patients, the histories of each asylum listed, and rather they are still standing and if so there uses or condition. Also included are stories, legends, and haunting associated with each place. The history is fascinating even if there ...more
Lee L.
Nov 16, 2016 Lee L. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ghost-stories
There is something about the image of an abandoned insane asylum that strikes fear and dread in the heart like nothing else. Add in decaying buildings, unspeakable experiments and a ghost or two, and you've got the ingredients for a truly frightful read. Author E.R. Vernor, aka Corvis Nocturnum, has been a busy man. With speaking engagements, interviews and the fifteen or so books he's written since 2005, I am glad he found time to pen his latest offering, "Haunted Asylums." Prepare to take an ...more
Kelly
Feb 06, 2015 Kelly rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed, history
This book was not what I expected, and I feel that's at least partially due to the fact that it did not seem to know what it wanted to be: a catalogue of mental institutions? A history of the treatment of the mentally ill? A discussion of reported paranormal activity at mental institutions? It tries to be all this and more, often in very haphazard fashion, and so is not particularly successful at any of them.

The majority of the book is an alphabetical list of asylums, only some of which are acco
Rita
Feb 12, 2013 Rita rated it liked it
For a person who loves old buildings, urban exploration, and architecture the photos in this book are wonderful. Most of the information is interesting as far as the dark times when our disabled citizens received horrible care and were used for guinea pigs in a number of ways.

However, the book could have used an editor just to help it make more sense. There were many sentences that seemed to come from nowhere and be just pasted together. The section on Pilgrim State Hospital, located on Long Isl
Sharon
Oct 26, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it
Bit disappointing, as it wasn't quite what I thought it would be. The photography of the abandoned asylums was quite intrusting, but sad at the same time when you think of the lives that they once contained.
May 24, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
This had haunting photographs of old asylums and stories about what went on there. Is less about ghost stories and more about the history of these places. I wish it had gone a little more in depth, but it was still very interesting.
Lilyhon
Feb 03, 2015 Lilyhon marked it as to-read
I got 30 pages in and felt like I was reading the same thing over and over. It was quite what I was expecting but I like that it gives a little history instead of just a bunch of personal ghost stories and legends.
T.C. Wodd
T.C. Wodd rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2014
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Rebecca
Apr 11, 2016 Rebecca rated it liked it
great information on the asylums but hate the formatting, doesn't seem professional at all.
Ari Robert
Ari Robert rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Nikki
Nikki rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2014
Kris Cram
Kris Cram rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2013
Tera
Tera rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Toi Franks
Toi Franks rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Deuce Bigelow
Deuce Bigelow rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2015
Dana
Dana rated it it was ok
Sep 29, 2013
Alyne
Alyne rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
Marily
Marily rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Breanne
Breanne marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2013
Kim Aguirre
Kim Aguirre marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
S.R. Grey
S.R. Grey marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
2crazyboyz
2crazyboyz marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Kristy Morrison
Kristy Morrison marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Zach Opsitnick
Zach Opsitnick marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Doodle
Doodle marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Stef
Stef marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Yanire
Yanire marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Mari Kaczynoki
Mari Kaczynoki marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Tori Cook
Tori Cook marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Emilie Le
Emilie Le marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Andrea Rose
Andrea Rose marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Amanda Carmon
Amanda Carmon marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Kelli Grey
Kelli Grey marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015