Start by marking “What a Son Needs from His Mom” as Want to Read:
What a Son Needs from His Mom

What a Son Needs from His Mom

Bestselling author and parenting expert equips moms for the unique challenges of raising sons to become healthy, caring, confident young men.
Published March 15th 2013 by Bethany House Publishers (first published March 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about What a Son Needs from His Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What a Son Needs from His Mom

Melissa.e
Dec 09, 2013 Melissa.e rated it liked it
There are a few helpful nuggets in the book, but I'm looking for concrete ways to be a better mom and 'have faith' just isn't enough.
Andrea
Jan 14, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book!!!!
Faith
Mar 29, 2013 Faith rated it it was amazing
Cheri Fuller's new book is a mom-to-mom talk about the unique joys and challenges that come when you are raising sons.
"Sons are just so different!" A new mom might say, "I don't know how to raise a boy!"
What Cheri might say to moms: Don't Panic! Son's are going to be different from daughters because God designed and defined masculinity to be different from femininity. And second- your son needs his Mom!

Moms can nurture their son's faith, teach them the precepts of God, and share the Gospel wit
Sharlene
May 16, 2013 Sharlene rated it liked it
This book was received from a First Reads giveaway.

When I requested this book I was over the moon about what else I could do to connect with my teenager. We have a great relationship; he's a great kid active in the community, great grades, independent, kind and apathetic. I want to make sure if there was something else I could do to be close with him that I was investigating it...because for him to still want to be seen with me in public and have him throw his arm around me and walk around a sto
Jennine
Jul 23, 2013 Jennine rated it really liked it
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for my fair and honest review.

As the title tells us, the book is about what a son needs his mother to think, feel, do, etc., to help him grow into a true man. I chose this book right away, as my son has morphed into a being I don't understand at age eight. Sometimes it's hard to know what I should and should not react to or the most effective way to communicate with him. Cheri Fuller's book is full of such advice. She pulls her advice from her expe
Sc2424
May 08, 2013 Sc2424 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished reading What a Son Needs From His Mom by Cheri Fuller. This book is just what it sounds like! A great book which helps moms understand/relate to/teach/parent, etc their son(s).

As a female who grew up in a household of sisters, there are times that I look at my son and what he's doing and think, "what IS this weird thing they call a boy?!" :) Just kidding, but truthfully, having a son has really been full of surprises. I love him so much and want to help him grow into the man
Blossom
Jul 22, 2013 Blossom rated it really liked it
I thought this book was well done and has helpful advice for moms with sons. Growing up I had sisters. When I had my son, I felt a little lost and sometimes just bewildered by my boy's behaviors, thoughts, actions, etc.
I like the way the book is straight-forward with its purpose. Each chapter is titled according to what will be talked about, such as "A Mom Who Listens and Communicates" and "A Mom Who Nurtures Her Sons Faith". In each chapter she includes tidbits from other authors, whether writi
Jodi Janz
May 03, 2013 Jodi Janz rated it really liked it
Do you have a son?

Then you will need this book! Cheri Fuller's book is a fantastic resource for any mom trying to raise her son.

From the very beginning of the book I found helpful advice, encouraging words and hundreds of "ah-ha" moments. Fuller's open and honest approach places the reader at ease. She tackles the hard questions with kindness and insight. She balances the technical information with the emotional aspect very well.

Each chapter has Reflection Questions for using in a group settin
Heather
Jun 28, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a new mother of an almost 2 year old. I've worked with children the majority of my life and am a licensed social worker.

I picked up a ton of little tips that have helped me form a better understanding of raising a boy. The book presents raising a boy to manhood in a Christian perspective, and with the goal of raising a Godly, self-confident man that can thrive out of the nest.

I appreciated that the author pointed out the ways boys relate and she integrated the use of technology to identify
Christina Banks
May 10, 2013 Christina Banks rated it really liked it
As a mother of a small son, I am always interested in reading books on the topic, so when given the opportunity to review this book, I jumped on it. The title made me wonder what treasures the author had in store. After all, what mom doesn't want to know what her son needs. What I found inside were principles that could be applied to raising sons, no matter the age of the child. What I came away with was that I need to be raising my son with the end goal in sight. And what is that end goal? To ...more
Gina Hott
May 08, 2014 Gina Hott rated it it was amazing
Hott Synopsis:

From the moment you looked at the ultrasound you knew you were in over your head. How on earth is a girl supposed to understand a boy? And now God’s given you a boy to nurture, teach, and guide.
Each boy may be different but not one of them thinks like a female so you need to prepare yourself for the inevitable. It’s going to be a challenge but you can do it. God has equipped you with the tools and What a Son Needs From His Mom will show you how to use them!

Hott Review:

Thank You! Th
Tima
Apr 06, 2016 Tima rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
I started reading this book because of my six year old son. And I'm so thankful I did. Most of the ideas/concepts in this book are not new. But everyone needs a reminder from time to time. Fuller stresses the importance of encouraging, listening, and understanding your son. Each chapter is an encouragement to me as a mother and inspires me to try even harder to be there for my son. It's definitely a book I'll be keeping so I can read it again in the future.

Each chapter begins with a quote and e
Mary-ann
Feb 18, 2013 Mary-ann rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for mothers with sons of all ages. Cheri Fuller helps guide us and show us how positive reinforcement, encouragement, prayer and letting go of our fears can help grow our boys into confident men.
Mothers want to know what makes their sons tick and how to be a welcome influence in their lives. And unlike many other books about raising boys, this warm and trustworthy resource is from a mom's perspective.
Through persuasive true stories and solid principles, this book offers a
Laura Pratt
Jul 31, 2013 Laura Pratt rated it really liked it
As a mom of four boys, I found this book refreshing. The book felt more like having a conversation with other moms than reading a book. The stories were VERY relateable and offered encouragement. The one thing I can say about raising boys is that no matter what you read or what others say, you will never be prepared for the adventures that follow. And you will always find yourself saying things you could never imagine.
Alicia
Apr 06, 2013 Alicia rated it it was amazing
I am going to post a review on my blog soon but I was so impressed with this book and very surprised to see that the average rating on Goodreads was only 3.5 stars. This book is awesome! It is from a Christian perspective but is very practical and full of researched information. Another reviewer said that most of the information came from the authors experience but there were many stories from other mothers and, as I just mentioned, research. A must-read for moms of boys!
GONZA
Feb 07, 2013 GONZA rated it it was ok
I will read the whole book while my son grows, anyway I found it sometimes interesting but sometimes my faith was not enough.

Mi sono ripromessa di continuare a leggere il libro mentre mio figlio cresce, comunque a volte era interessante, ma parecchie altre volte la mia fede non era sufficiente.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND BAKER PUBLISHING GROUP FOR THE PREVIEW.
Jodi
Aug 22, 2013 Jodi rated it really liked it
May 04, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
What an encouraging, practical guide for learning how to relate to your boys. And not just your own sons, but all the males in your life. While some of the advice seemed a little common sense to me I was truly inspired by some of her suggestions.

It was a wonderful book of instruction on how to raise a godly son and would be perfect for mom groups or Bible studies.
Beyond the Pages
Aug 25, 2013 Beyond the Pages rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book that every mother needs to keep in her personal library. Filled with practical wisdom, life examples and stories that are easy to relate to, it's a great resource.
I received an ARC via NetGalley for an honest review. The words I have expressed are my own.
Steven
Sep 05, 2015 Steven rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned, american, women
Well-meaning book, full of good advice for a mom raising young boys that was derived from the author's own experience. It would have been better without the over-reliance on heavy handed Christian and biblical references.
Brenda Wharton
May 08, 2016 Brenda Wharton rated it really liked it
Good books for mom of you boys. She talks about all the things that boys need from their mom, like encouragement, praying for them, teaches them to understand their feelings and later being able to release them to adulthood
Kim
Aug 06, 2016 Kim rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
My sister gave me this book. Christians may like it, but it was a mix of obvious and uber religious advice. I think I'm giving my son what he needs, and we have a strong enough relationship that I can and do ask him this sporadically.
Staci
Dec 22, 2013 Staci rated it really liked it
Quick, enjoyable read with good advice. Not heavy, just encouraging. I recommend it to moms of boys of all ages.
Amanda
Jul 31, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
A great book. I recommend it. I may end up reading it more than once.

*received through goodreads first reads*
Amy  Katherine Brown
Amy Katherine Brown rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2014
Christine Belding
Mar 01, 2015 Christine Belding rated it it was ok
I was hoping for more tangible suggestions...I already got the praying part down.
Julie Woolery
Julie Woolery rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Harlee
Harlee rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Cassandra Howard
Cassandra Howard rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Deana Miller
Deana Miller rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys
  • How Do You Tuck in a Superhero?: And Other Delightful Mysteries of Raising Boys
  • Boys Should Be Boys: 7 Secrets to Raising Healthy Sons
  • That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and Life
  • The Passionate Mom: Dare to Parent in Today's World
  • My Next Step: An Extraordinary Journey of Healing and Hope
  • What a Difference a Mom Makes: The Indelible Imprint a Mom Leaves on Her Son's Life
  • No More Perfect Moms: Learn to Love Your Real Life
  • Parenting Isn't for Cowards
  • Sweet Sanctuary
  • Six Ways to Keep the "Good" in Your Boy: Guiding Your Son from His Tweens to His Teens
  • Writers of the Future Volume 29
  • The Summer of Lost Soles
  • Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year
  • 1-2-3 Magic for Christian Parents: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12
  • Growing Kids God's Way: Biblical Ethics for Parenting
  • Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles: Winning for a Lifetime
  • Stargazing for Beginners: How to Find Your Way Around the Night Sky
Cheri Fuller is a gifted speaker and award-winning author of more than forty books, including The One Year Women’s Friendship Devotional, the bestselling When Mothers Pray, and A Busy Woman’s Guide to Prayer. Her books have been translated into many languages, and her speaking ministry has provided encouragement to people throughout the U.S. and abroad. A former Oklahoma Mother of the Year, Cheri ...more
More about Cheri Fuller...

“We can kill our son’s confidence by making things too easy for him, by hovering, overprotecting, and over-functioning.” 0 likes