Start by marking “La chanson de l'exil” as Want to Read:
La chanson de l'exil

La chanson de l'exil (Darkover #24)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,874 ratings  ·  35 reviews
She was Margaret Alton, the daughter of Lew Alton, the Darkovan representative to the Terran Imperial Senate, but she remembered almost nothing about the planet of her birth, or her early and tumultuous childhood. What fleeting memories disturbed her sleep were fragments of terror - a strange silver man and a screaming woman with hair that circled her head like a ring of f ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 413 pages
Published March 16th 1998 by Pocket (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about La chanson de l'exil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La chanson de l'exil

Avis Black
Margaret Alton is not Marion Zimmer Bradley’s character. Bradley herself has admitted that. Alton is, and has always been, the creation of Adrienne Martine-Barnes, and Barnes was the one who persuaded Bradley to include her in the Darkover canon back when Bradley was still active. Unfortunately, the full fruits of this have appeared now that Barnes is writing Darkover books. In this novel, Alton is a long-lost heiress, gets sent through space solely to study primitive folk-songs (yeah right, tha ...more
Valerie
I'm not sure whether it's this edition or the other nearly identical edition which I own. I have the 1996 edition, which I believe is the 1st edition.

I wanted to review this as part of a trilogy, because the comments I have for now refer to the whole trilogy (to varying degrees). The other titles in what might be called the omega trilogy (if there were other books mooted, they don't appear on the shelves where I shop, so probably they weren't written) are The Shadow Matrix and Traitor's Sun.

Brad
Margaret
I've seen several reviews complaining about either the lack of action in this novel, or the character (development?) of Margaret Alton, or both, ending with a judgment of one or two stars. I don't agree with those reviews. Regarding the "lack of action" complaint, no real person lives a life of constant action, so why should a character? And this is a story more like a coming-of-age tale, a story about finding oneself, so naturally it deals more with Margaret's inner struggles. As far as the cha ...more
Valerie
I should have read this before I read Shadow Matrix. I knew a lot of what was coming, because Shadow Matrix recaps a lot of the stuff in this book.

I understand that someone who falls prey to threshold sickness would have to take a break from career work. I even understand that she has to get properly trained as a telepath, particularly if she's inherited such fearful gifts as the Command Voice. But if she was so devoted to her mentor (who died before he could finish his last expedition, why woul
Grace
One day I'm just going to write the plots of all the Darkover books on post-its, to show that the other million words are just flat-out unnecessary. This is yet another book filled with thrilling bits of TOTAL INACTION.

I love how Darkover characters show no curiosity about a thing until exactly the moment the author wanted to kick off a long bout of mulling. It's insane - a character's seen something weird multiple times without batting an eyelash, then suddenly it's "Oh! What is that?! For I re
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-Hard Darkover Fans
This is...Okay. And I say that as a fan of the Darkover series. Indeed, it's Darkover, and not Mists of Avalon, that made me a fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley. But what you have to know about the Darkover series is that they're very uneven in quality--and written out of sequence. What tends to tip off the quality of the book is when it was published. MZB in my opinion really didn't hit her stride and hone her craft until the mid-seventies. There's a nod to this in her feeling a need to rewrite earl ...more
Lindsay
Exile's Song was the first Darkover novel I ever read after my dad bought it for me in middle school. He himself had read some of the books when he was younger and was a fan. The book is about Margaret Alton, daughter of Lew Alton, himself a Darkovan representative on the Terran Senate. Margaret is a University scholar who studies folk music, and she is sent to Darkover to collect samples of the planet's songs. Lew had taken Margaret off the planet when she was five or six so he could serve on t ...more
Lianne Simon
If you've never read Marion Zimmer Bradley, try
The Mists of Avalon (The Mists of Avalon, #1) by Marion Zimmer Bradley instead of this book.
If you're never read any of the Darkover series, you might want to read
The Heritage of Hastur (Darkover Series) by Marion Zimmer Bradley instead of this book.
If you loved The Heritage of Hastur and
Sharra's Exile (Darkover Series) by Marion Zimmer Bradley
then you might like this book as well. Worth a try.

This was one of those books that I ended up skimming. After just finishing three books by C.J. Cherryh, who prose tends to be trimmed to the bone, I found this novel full of fat.

Margaret's interaction with the Renunciate Rafaella, and the bit of
Katherine
I think I've read this at least 20 times. It was one of my favourite books when I was in high school. This book and Shadow Matrix were my favourites.

This book does start a little slowly. I rarely read the first 100 pages or so when I pick it up again. But the world is so complete in its development it is like I can walk the streets and see what the characters are seeing and feel what they feel. I haven't read it for years, I might pick it up again to relive good times and better reading.
Emer Mccarthy
As much as I love MZB, this is utter tripe. Adrienne Barnes is a lousy writer, I know she needed a collaborator after her stroke, but to be cruel it would have been more fruitful to let her bang her head off her typewriter. The characters were excruciating. I am a massive MZB fan, love darkover, will buy anything with her name attached, But this and The Shadow Matrix are awful. They were my introduction to Darkover but I still love the majority of the series, despite this car crash of a book.
Mariah
Margaret Alton, the estranged daughter of Lew Alton has become a Terran University scholar, the assistant of ethno-musicologist Ivor Davidson. When they travel to Darkover to research folk music, she expects it to be like any other trip. What she finds instead, is long-buried memories of her traumatic childhood, relatives she didn’t know existed, and an the inheritance to a Domain she doesn’t want. What follows is a fascinating psychological journey and growth of an amazing character. Margaret, ...more
Emma Wendt
This was my first ever coming in contact with the world of Darkover. I was twelve and found a copy of Exiles song in the english section of our local bookstore. Exiles song had me hooked from the start. This book will always have a special part in my memory and heart and as with the rest of the books of MZB I highly recommend it.
Chuck
I wrote a long review of this which was lost via 'net problems. Let me just say that I think this, along with The Shadow Matrix and Traitor's Sun, wind up being nearly as good as her best work, which I beleive is the Rununciates trilogy.

Margaret Alton, a music scholar born on Darkover, returns to study folk music on the planet. While on the planet, she discovers her own latent psi power, and winds up discovering that she has inherited lands and is in the middle of political strife she knows noth
Karlen
I found an old list of books I read and decided to include them on goodreads. I honestly can't remember what I thought.
Bron
Ah, now I see why I found the third book in this trilogy - Traitor's Sun - somewhat unsatisfactory. It doesn't really get on with the "exciting changes in Darkover society" which are foretold in the first book! There are some advantages in reading a trilogy in reverse order, you tend to spot details which are meaningful but which you might not notice if reading the books in sequence!

This is the best of the three I think. I loved having so much detail about home life on Darkover, and Margaret Alt
Marcello Tarot
L’introduzione di Marguerida

Un personaggio di una grinta ammirevole, una felicissima introduzione di una terrestre nel mondo darkovano a lei alieno. Peccato che in seguito (negli altri due libri che la riguardano) perda parte della sua grinta e del suo smalto, e divenga pure mielosa. Ma in questo libro è ancora tosta, e alcune sue battute sono memorabili!
Recensione originariamente pubblicata su http://www.libreriauniversitaria.it/ nell’estate del 2010.
Karel Musil
Say whatever you want about late books that were written "in colaboration" with MZB, but I'm very fond of Exile's song and it's sequel. Margaret Alton is an amazing character, headstrong and determined. Despite nothing much actually happens here, it's well-written "nothing" and I don't hesitate to call this book a page-turner. Margaret's clashes with similarly head-strong, but traditional relatives are so juicy and I'm looking forward to read it again.
Bad Tim
i fell in love with mikail and marguerida when i read traitor's sun. this books tells of marguerida's arrival on darkover and subsequent efforts to adjust to its strange ways. tho i haven't read bradley in a long time, i don't remember her being so wordy. i do remember her skill with prose and character development tho, and i find myself compelled to finish her books despite the long, dry passages with little or no action.
Joanna
This has to be my favorite of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series. Actually, it's up there with one of my favorite books ever since it can be such a stand-alone book. I've read it many many times, and I'm on my second copy now. This is the continuation of Sharra's Exile, Margaret Alton returns to Darkover. She is a strong female character and easy to relate to.
Carole-Ann
On a Darkover roll now....

Another collaboration I never read when published :)

Great story about Margaret Alton (a University musician) going to Darkover to do research into local songs/music and discovering her (unknown) heritage.
A bit long-winded in places, sometimes too drawn out to be really efective in others, but a very good story-line.
Brianna
Margaret Alton is a Mary Sue in any universe, but I admit I still enjoyed this book. Maybe not enough to pick up another book in this series (I didn't realize it was in a series, so I will say that this book can be enjoyed as a stand-alone), but enough to give it a generally positive review.

To be read if you like fantasy novels heavy on the heroine.
Gregory
Slow to get going, but once it did it was a page turner. This may be the first four star review I've given to one of the Darkover novels, but I really liked it. Good new characters, good returning characters, and a gripping story.
Martin
Thoroughly enjoyed this book!
Isaura
Good science fiction story of a world very different, yet in some ways similar, to our own. :) It definitely helps if you read the previous books in the series, but it can still stand alone also.
Kyrie
Mar 16, 2009 Kyrie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
One of my all time favorites combines a epic sci-fi world with a great story and characters, a great read anytime. A series that grabs hold and doesn't let go!
Susan
meet Maguerida Alton, all grown up. We last saw her as Lew Alton took the Senate seat for Darkover (Cottman IV) and took her and his wife Diotima Ridenow off world.
Gabrielle Hoehn
I loved the earlier works. This was good, but seemed to be the beginning of the end of the series for me.
Terry
I was captured by the world and people of Darkover immediately and have enjoyed every book in the series.
Deidre
don't get me wrong, i love regis hastur, but margaret alton is a protagonist i can really sink my teeth into
Kathleen Cobcroft
Not sure why, but this is a comfort book that I return to quite regularly. Psychic space opera.
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress XXI
  • Sky Trillium (The Saga of the Trillium, #5)
  • Sword and Sorceress 22
  • Restoree: Fantasy
  • The House of the Kzinti (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • Chanur's Legacy (Compact Space, #5)
  • The Oathbound (Valdemar: Vows and Honor, #1)
  • Ingathering: The Complete People Stories of Zenna Henderson (The People)
  • Return to Avalon
  • Man-Kzin Wars 9 (Man-Kzin Wars, #9)
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...
The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) The Forest House (Avalon, #2) Lady of Avalon (Avalon, #3) Priestess of Avalon (Avalon, #4) The Firebrand