Start by marking “Heirloom Machine Quilting: A Comprehensive Guide to Hand-Quilted Effects Using Your Sewing Machine” as Want to Read:

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The acknowledged "bible" of machine quilting, this book made the sewing machine an acceptable tool for quilters.
Spiral-bound, 176 pages
Published 1995 by C&T Publishing (first published September 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Heirloom Machine Quilting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heirloom Machine Quilting

Nicolle
This is a great reference book. While it has everything you need to know before you get started, I think this book is geared more towards those that have some decent machine quilting experience, which is not me! I will have to check this book out again when I give it a try. Oh, and don't let the cover fool you--though the author is a traditional quilter, the methods she teaches work for all kinds of quilts.
Sue
I like this book a lot. The name "Heirloom" is sort of misleading to me, because that makes me think that I'm going to make something from expensive fabrics with intricate methods. This book is, instead, a very practical book about quilting (not about piecing, but about actually quilting the three layers - the quilt sandwich) together. Harriet Hargrave, the author, has included many how-to features: creating stencils, marking the quilt, layering the sandwich, and straight line as well as free-mo ...more
Despite the heirloom name, this book is a comprehensive overview of even the more basic quilting techniques: I could see adding this book to my collection eventually. There are lots of great quilt pictures, but that's definitely where the heirloom part comes to play. The pictured quilts are the type meant to been seen and not used, which isn't my thing.
Ron Mohring
I'm a traditional quilter--hand-piecing as much as possible and hand-quilting all the way--but even I feel the pressure of time and long for a faster, more efficient way to quilt some projects. This book has me nearly convinced to give machine quiltinga try. And that's high praise coming from me.
Allison
This book is an excellent reference and completely worth the price. I use it hand in hand with in-person classes. The author has moderated her tone in this book (vs her quilter's academy series) and I found the information practical and easy to apply.
Suzanne
This book gave me so many tips to improve my machine quilting! I didn't finish it before having to return it to the library but I will definitely check this out again!
Kidsbookworm
This is a must own for machine quilters and is a book that you will refer to again and again.
Cheryl S.
Jan 01, 2008 Cheryl S. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: machine quilters
Shelves: quilt
Basic info and some inspiration. Love the spiral binder format
Deb
Mar 19, 2009 Deb rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: crafts
This is a book I often refer back to. Good "how to" info.
Amy Osborn
Amy Osborn marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Mariana Rothmann
Mariana Rothmann marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Leslie
Leslie added it
Jan 11, 2015
Rhonda Sayler
Rhonda Sayler marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Quilter's Academy Vol. 1, Freshman Year: A Skill-Building Course in Quiltmaking All-In-One Quilter's Reference Tool: Easy-To-Follow Charts, Tables & Illustrations, Yardage Requirements, Cutting Instructions, Setting Secrets, Choosing Supplies, Piecing Techniques, Number Conversions & More! Quilter's Academy, Volume 2: Sophomore Year: A Skill-Building Course in Quiltmaking The Art of Classic Quiltmaking Mastering Machine Applique