Start by marking “Heirloom Machine Quilting: A Comprehensive Guide to Hand-Quilted Effects Using Your Sewing Machine” as Want to Read:

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The third edition of an illustrated handbook on machine quilting, originally published in 1987, which includes details of the skills required to produce quilts using a sewing machine, with a range of projects for different quilted pieces.
Spiral-bound, 176 pages
Published 1995 by C&T Publishing (first published September 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Heirloom Machine Quilting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heirloom Machine Quilting

Claire
Apr 12, 2015 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arts-and-crafts
Sometimes it is good to go back to the earliest "how to" books, and this is the first or one of the first on machine quilting. As the title suggests, the goal is to do quilting that looks old fashioned. Still there are hints that are applicable to modern machine quilting. It is, as the title says, "Comprehensive." There is more detail gathered here than I have seen elsewhere. Some I'd already heard via the grapevine. But when it was written, there was no grapevine. And though it was first writte ...more
Ron Mohring
Feb 04, 2010 Ron Mohring rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a traditional quilter--hand-piecing as much as possible and hand-quilting all the way--but even I feel the pressure of time and long for a faster, more efficient way to quilt some projects. This book has me nearly convinced to give machine quiltinga try. And that's high praise coming from me.
Sue
Aug 09, 2008 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quilting
I like this book a lot. The name "Heirloom" is sort of misleading to me, because that makes me think that I'm going to make something from expensive fabrics with intricate methods. This book is, instead, a very practical book about quilting (not about piecing, but about actually quilting the three layers - the quilt sandwich) together. Harriet Hargrave, the author, has included many how-to features: creating stencils, marking the quilt, layering the sandwich, and straight line as well as free-mo ...more
Nicolle
Mar 18, 2015 Nicolle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafty
This is a great reference book. While it has everything you need to know before you get started, I think this book is geared more towards those that have some decent machine quilting experience, which is not me! I will have to check this book out again when I give it a try. Oh, and don't let the cover fool you--though the author is a traditional quilter, the methods she teaches work for all kinds of quilts.
Apr 23, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craftycrafty, 2012
Despite the heirloom name, this book is a comprehensive overview of even the more basic quilting techniques: I could see adding this book to my collection eventually. There are lots of great quilt pictures, but that's definitely where the heirloom part comes to play. The pictured quilts are the type meant to been seen and not used, which isn't my thing.
Allison
Mar 11, 2013 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent reference and completely worth the price. I use it hand in hand with in-person classes. The author has moderated her tone in this book (vs her quilter's academy series) and I found the information practical and easy to apply.
Suzanne
Mar 01, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me so many tips to improve my machine quilting! I didn't finish it before having to return it to the library but I will definitely check this out again!
Kidsbookworm
Jan 27, 2012 Kidsbookworm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arts-crafts
This is a must own for machine quilters and is a book that you will refer to again and again.
Cheryl S.
Jan 01, 2008 Cheryl S. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: machine quilters
Shelves: quilt
Basic info and some inspiration. Love the spiral binder format
Deb
Mar 19, 2009 Deb rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
This is a book I often refer back to. Good "how to" info.
Jude Grebeldinger
Apr 17, 2012 Jude Grebeldinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good reference book.
LaRue Cook
LaRue Cook rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Beatrix
Beatrix rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
Apr 04, 2016
Jane Ellen Hillis
Jane Ellen Hillis rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Diana
Diana added it
Mar 27, 2016
Darra Williamson
Darra Williamson marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Mulberry Quilters
Mulberry Quilters marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Kathie Taliaferro
Kathie Taliaferro rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Susanb
Susanb rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Ruth Sweet
Ruth Sweet marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Amanda  Cannady
Amanda Cannady rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Mulberry Quilters
Mulberry Quilters marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Hope218
Hope218 rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
  • Machine Quilting Made Easy!
  • Complete Guide to Quilting (Better Homes and Gardens)
  • Material Obsession: Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots
  • Quiltmaking by Hand: Simple Stitches, Exquisite Quilts
  • Make a Quilt in a Day: Log Cabin Pattern
  • Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Walters: Choose & Use Quilting Designs on Modern Quilts
  • Quilter's Complete Guide
  • Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!!: The Complete Guide to Quiltmaking the Complete Guide to Quiltmaking
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • The Modern Quilt Workshop: Patterns, Techniques, and Designs from the FunQuilts Studio
  • Modern Log Cabin Quilting: 25 Simple Quilts and Patchwork Projects
  • Scrap Therapy Cut the Scraps!: 7 Steps to Quilting Your Way through Your Stash
  • Sylvia's Bridal Sampler from Elm Creek Quilts: The True Story Behind the Quilt - 140 Traditional Blocks
  • Complete guide to needlework
  • The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt: 55 Letters and the 111 Blocks They Inspired
  • Dare to Be Square Quilting: A Block-By-Block Guide to Making Patchwork and Quilts
  • I Love Patchwork