Foundations of Library and Information Science

Foundations of Library and Information Science

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  570 ratings  ·  83 reviews
This is the revised edition of the first textbook specifically written to cover the fundamentals of library and information science programs. Designed as a highly current teaching resource, Rubin offers library and information science students and professionals the background and techniques they need to meet today's - and tomorrow's - challenges.

Foundations of Library and

Published October 14th 2000 by Neal Schuman Pub (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Foundations of Library and Information Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foundations of Library and Information Science

karen
i just realized i dont need this book anymore!! i have read all the chapters i have been assigned, and to the book i say good riddance!! its a textbook, so i wasnt expecting it to be the best book i ever read or anything, but now it is all behind me. its not bad, just unthrilling. i am going to win library school!!!
Greg
This book was terrible. It sucked. Or at least the ten pages I read of it before I decided there was no reason for me to read the book and that I'd do just as fine in the class by not reading it. I was right, since I got an A plus in the class.
Lavina
Useful if the subject interests you (it will give you foundations and whatnot), but wow -- only three years old and it's hilariously outdated.
Beth
May 08, 2008 Beth rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Only as required by class.
Recommended to Beth by: LIBR 200
I've been working my way through this book all semester (it was assigned) and it's been a trek. It's a SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW read, with some very dated data, such as 1990 survey information about American's use of public libraries. Sometimes, this frustrates me because Pew data would be much more accurate. Rubin makes good use of tables when appropriate.

Most disappointing is that the most interesting information is contained in the first chapter, so you're lulled into thinking the rest of the book wi...more
Michelle
I'm reading this book throughout this whole semester at school for my first semester towards my MLIS.

It's okay. A lot of it is really dry and boring to read, but I guess it has mostly relevant information in it.
Kiri
This book has such potential. It is written in readable, concise, and lucid prose. It presents some genuinely fascinating material, such as the history of the library profession, statistics on the public's media consumption habits, and an analysis of the ethical issues that face librarians.

The book's Achilles Heel is the fact that it is woefully outdated. Despite apparently having been revised for its 2010 3rd edition, most of the statistics come from 2001-2004, or even earlier. The book would...more
Scott Pagel
This was a good textbook for my course of the same name as the book title. The content was adequate (except in one area - see below) and the bibliography for each chapter is very nice to have. I'll probably keep this book even though my course is over.

The only content weakness was in the area of technology. Certainly, it is nearly impossible for any printed book to be current on technology issues. I wouldn't expect it to be. However, this book was revised in 2010 but many technology statistics...more
Welson Chang
Mar 26, 2009 Welson Chang rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking to be a librarian
So I read this book for my Foundations of Library and Information Science class and I have to say that it's quite enjoyable. Yes, the statistics and data in the book is a bit out of date but it still carries a lot of relevant information such as the history of library science as a profession. For those who are interested in getting to more know about being a librarian, this book is a good start. For those who are interested in knowing why people should support their libraries, this book is a goo...more
Liana
Oct 26, 2011 Liana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in library school
Recommended to Liana by: The syllabus
More than likely, now that I own this book, I think I might refer to it over and over to refresh the author's words of guidance contained within. This is a book that will answer everything you want to know about the library profession and then some. To me, this book affirmed my wish to become a librarian and comes complete with guidance on how to obtain the appropriate skill sets needed for working in any type of library or center for information. Easily absorbed, even entertaining...and it's a...more
Michele
Interesting and easy to read for a textbook
Kristen
Weird, this is the last book I'll ever put on my "library school" shelf, as I'm graduating in a week. Crazy.

Anyway, I enjoyed this book, or at least as much as you can enjoy a text book. Yes, it's a bit dated in relation to the internet and electronic information, but the basic fundamentals, core concepts, and history of library science are all there. All in all, a good book for those interested in the core principles of library science.

One quibble: the last chapter seems very "Debbie Downer" ab...more
Emma
A bit dry, but what do you expect from a textbook! I found some of the material outdated, but it provided a decent foundation and prompted a lot of class discussion.
Heather Bolwar
For a textbook, it's not too bad. I wonder, though, if perhaps the fact that my professor leads interesting discussions helps to up the likeability of this text.
Svitlana Chukanova
one of the best books for librarians
Lara
This book had a bunch of information, but it was the driest thing I've ever read. Be sure to have some caffeine nearby when reading.
Monica St. Dennis
This book was useful, and I ended up buying my rental copy because I think it's a good thing to have around while completing the MLIS. I'm sure I'll refer back to it frequently the whole time I'm in library school. It is, of course, incredibly boring, as is every other book I've ever read with the phrase "foundations of" in the title.

Just read it with upbeat music on in the background, and you'll be fine.
Jordan
Some of the stats in this book are a little dated. And the section on ebooks was kind of weird. But it's not too bad. A little longwinded in a couple spots, and some of the information seemed to get repeated. But compared to my organization of information text, it's downright riveting. Which isn't saying much. I also liked the professor teaching this book, so that probably helped it some.
Anna Janelle
A nice introduction to the library science profession - outlining the historical and contemporary issues surrounding information science.

The course whetted my appetite for the field in my first semester of graduate studies. Of particular interest: the impact of technologies on the field, the handling of privacy, and the concept of information ethics.
Kaley
Aug 12, 2009 Kaley rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: MLS students, people interested in learning more about the field of Information Studies.
Obviously this was for class, but I did actually enjoy it! It was thorough, well written, and interesting (as a newcomer to the field). My only complaint is that a lot of the info was outdated, which is clearly a never-ending battle in this particular filed. Things change quickly, and a new edition with updated info and statistics is a must!
KSD
Jonathan
Surprisingly interesting look at the history of libraries and of the challenges facing the library and information science community today. I'm giving it three stars only from the perspective of someone reading for pleasure because it's extremely dry. If you're a nerd, in grad school, or both, there is some good stuff in here.
Joey H.
I really need an option for variable reviews. . . This is a 2-star book if you work in libraries and/or know anything about library operations and services. If, however, you have no library experience, I feel like this book would be supremely useful. So, 5 stars if you've never worked in a library. Otherwise, it's pretty meh.
Ruby
Somewhat dry required reading for Intro to Lib Studies, but if you are a nerd like me you may also enjoy this nice thick overview of all things library. We read selected chapters and I do not plan to finish it on my own. But I may dip into it from time to time as a resource. Good to keep on the shelf.
Kelly
A not to painful to read textbook. Required readings every other week for my foundations course. Did lead to some decent discussion in the course but thats also directly related to have an involved group of students. We read it out of order but I don't think that really effected the flow of information.
Aemok
Lila Brantley
This book is so boring and hard to read. Rubin, I know you are smart, incredibly smart, but seriously just write the book using everyday language so we can understand the concepts. The chapters are hellishly long to boot. That being said, the historical chapters were very interesting.
Melissa
Of course, its a textbook but its boring and repetitious. I did learn some things but every time I sat down to read it I fell asleep a few pages in. My version came out in 2010 but its already outdated and you need supplemental materials to get some of the facts right.
Jul 22, 2009 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those in an LIS program
Shelves: mlis-texts
This was a good book to read for an intro text to library and information science. It covered the history of the field as well as current issues and challenges. Some of my classmates felt he had a doomsday view of the career field, but he generally balanced his perspective.
Linn
A clear and concise text on the basics of library science and services. I have to admit that I'm almost sorry it's a rental and I have to return it when the class is over. The chapter on library history was particularly interesting and well-written.
David
Another very dry summary of the library profession. The aspect of this book I did find helpful was the impressive and surprisingly easy-to-understand diagrams used to illustrate various characteristics of the field. I loves me some statistics!
Rachel
Reading this for class, mostly don't like it b/c it is full of really technical writing. It is however useful to know background on Information Science end of things, like the different legislations that helped shaped the profession.
Help 6 13 Feb 03, 2009 03:22PM
  • The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts
  • The Organization of Information (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • Management Basics for Information Professionals
  • Reference and Information Services: An Introduction (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction
  • The Readers' Advisory Guide To Genre Fiction
  • The Atlas of New Librarianship
  • Library: An Unquiet History
  • Revolting Librarians Redux: Radical Librarians Speak Out
Human Resource Management in Lib In-House Use of Materials in Public Libraries Critical Issues in Library Personnel Management (Allerton Park Institute//(Papers)) Baby Boom