Start by marking “Dangerous Shift” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Shift

Read Excerpt

Dangerous Shift

HE IS MR. BY-THE-BOOK, WITH A SECRET...
Shapeshifters live among us but remain unknown to most people except for the highest echelons of law enforcement, the military, science, and medical fields--until now.

SHE IS A LOOSE CANNON WITH AN ATTITUDE...
When a fatal virus strikes Shapeshifters all over the West coast, including members of the Shapeshifter Task Force in San Lau
Published August 24th 2012 by Jill James (first published July 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Shift

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
1.5

The way shifting is presented here is one of the reasons I didn't completely hate this story. The main idea is that shifters do exist but it's not common knowledge. Each shifter has two forms - male and female, one being more dominant. And someone seems to hate them enough to create a virus that causes constant shifting. The victims don't have enough time to hydrate or refuel.
Dangerous Shift is not a mystery since you know almost from the start who is doing it. A couple of chapters in you fi
Christi Snow
Aug 20, 2012 Christi Snow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review:

This book takes a completely different take on the shapeshifter world and I liked it...after I grasped the intricacies of it. In Jill James shapeshifter world, the shapeshifters have complete control over their appearance. They can control whether they are male or female, can change their proportions, and can shift to look like other people. Each shapeshifter has a natural male and female form although one of those is always their dominant form...the one that they are most at ease in.
Jody
Sep 03, 2012 Jody rated it really liked it
As a fan of the paranormal who has read many shapeshifter stories it's difficult to find an author who can put a unique spin on a well-used theme. Jill James is that author, who with her release Dangerous Shift, has put a new spin on the tried and true shapeshifter myth. Her shapeshifters can morph into the opposite sex with each sex having their own personalities. For the characters in this story who are cops, this kind of change can be quite useful and plays a vital role in bringing the villai ...more
Maria
Sep 09, 2012 Maria rated it liked it
Reviewed on my blog: http://queenofthenightreviews.blogspo...

Dangerous Shift by Jill James is based on a unique and interesting premise; what if shapeshifters were real, had different dna and could shift into different genders without having to shift into an animal form. How would humanity deal with that in general and specifically when fear and anger turn into bigotry? With interesting characters, a touch of romance and enough suspense and action to keep the story moving, Ms. James provided a f
Donna
I thought this was a really great story. The author has created a world just like ours but that contains a breed of Shapeshifter. These are not you typical shifters. They do not turn into wolves, cats or other animals. Instead they commonly shift from a male to a female or otherwise alter their human looking appearance.

There is a crisis going on in their world though. Somehow shifters are being attacked by a virus. There is no rhyme or reason behind who get sick. But it does prove fatal to whoev
Shelley
Dec 04, 2012 Shelley rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Ms. James has created an interesting and original world where shifters are known to humans. Each shifter individual has the ability to shift into either male or female, although each shifter has a dominant sex or a preference. While humans and shifters rub along together, both sides of the fence are guilty of prejudices. I thought the world building and shifter aspect of the book was very well done and different from other shifter books I’ve read. It made for a fascinating read.

Lt. Sean Evans ha
Beverly
Nov 27, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it
My thoughts:
Interesting and original.
Jill James has created a story based on a type of shifter I have not encountered before; female/male dominated shifters who can shift between their own female or male form but have lost the ability to shift into animal form.
Into this would be bright, California set story, the author has brought some of the worst of our "real-world" problems: racism, sexism, bias, bigotry, fear and hatred. But she hasn't forgotten to include a host of fantastic characters
Jane
Sep 30, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
If you enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris or the Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong, then "Dangerous Shift" might be a good book for you. I liked how, just as in the Sookie Stackhouse books, James presented the "other" (shapeshifter in this instance, vampire in the Sookie books) also as a victim of human prejudice, not necessarily as an evil creature (though in the Sookie books it is of course more of a two-way street). This was an enjoyable read and a nice ch ...more
Stacy McKitrick
This book was okay. It was an interesting story and premise, but I don't like it when the couple dislike each other and hate it when it takes over 100 pages for them to bam - dig each other. But other readers eat that up, so it's only my opinion. However, the book did drag in spots, enough to get only 3 stars instead of 4.
Vintage Moon
Sep 01, 2012 Vintage Moon marked it as to-read
I plan to read it and it looks interesting. The only thing I am not sure about is the cover, it has the same man and woman picture that is on Hungerstorm by Amber Kallyn. Hers was published before this one so I am not sure if they draw from the same bank of images or what.
Jane Silhouette
Sep 11, 2012 Jane Silhouette rated it it was amazing
I'll write down my thoughts after I stop crying!POWERFUL! EMOTIONAL! A REMARKABLE NOVEL!THE CHARACTERS ARE MEMORABLE!
Tami
Tami rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Cathleen
Cathleen rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2015
Brenda Demko
Brenda Demko rated it liked it
Shasha
Shasha rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2015
Stephm
Stephm rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2012
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Lee Lopez
Lee Lopez rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2012
Thomas Smith
Thomas Smith rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2014
Shelly
Shelly rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2012
Jaci
Jaci rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2014
Harsha
Harsha rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Rosina
Rosina rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2013
Jill James
Aug 07, 2012 Jill James added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-wrote
Lady Lioness
Lady Lioness marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2012
Beatrice
Beatrice marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2012
Logan Douglas
Logan Douglas marked it as to-read
Hector Raffta
Hector Raffta is currently reading it
Tera Clay
Tera Clay is currently reading it
Manoj Deshpande
Manoj Deshpande marked it as to-read
Natalie Newton
Natalie Newton is currently reading it
Joan Loucks
Joan Loucks is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2012
Topcatz200
Topcatz200 is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2012
Kellie Plumley
Kellie Plumley is currently reading it
Lady
Lady marked it as to-read
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jennifer beck
Jennifer beck marked it as to-read
Shanti
Shanti marked it as to-read
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Christiane
Christiane marked it as to-read
Melissa ownsbey
Melissa ownsbey marked it as to-read
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Levina Goon
Levina Goon marked it as to-read
Dihmar
Dihmar marked it as to-read
Angela Emerson
Angela Emerson marked it as to-read
Carrie Lynn Barker
Carrie Lynn Barker marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2012
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2012
  • Only In Her Dreams (The Oneiroi, #1)
  • Consequence (Secrets of Eaton, #1)
  • Destiny of the Wulf (The Aduramis Chronicles Book 1)
  • Lost in the Light
  • The Lotus Files
  • Vasilisa the Beautiful and Baba Yaga
  • Supernatural Freak (Supernatural Freak, #1)
  • A Wolf's Song
  • The Golden Lynx (Legends of the Five Directions, #1)
  • Red Leaves and the Living Token
  • The Sounding
  • Bump In The Night
  • Lady of the Drake
  • The Demon Side (The Demon Side, #1)
  • Hearts of Fire (Deadglass, #0.5)
  • The Billionaire's New Assistant (The New Dominators, #1)
  • Infinite Betrayal (Blood Feud #1)
  • Darkest Caress (Empowered, #1)
Jill James didn't start out wanting to be a writer. Along the way, she wanted to be a doctor, a lawyer, president of the United States, and an astronaut.

Life happened and she discovered she could be all those things; in the pages of her books.

Her debut novel, Tempting Adam, came out February 2011 from The Wild Rose Press.

In October of 2011 she decided to start self-publishing.

Jill writes contempo