Start by marking “My New Gender Workbook: A Step-by-Step Guide to Achieving World Peace Through Gender Anarchy and Sex Positivity” as Want to Read:

Review: This updated edition of Bornstein's formative My Gender Workbook (1997) provides an invigorating introduction to contemporary theory around gender, sexuality, and power. The original is a classic of modern transgender theory and literature and, alongside Bornstein's other work, has influenced an entire generation of trans writers and artists. This revised and expan ...more
Hardcover, 2nd Edition, 293 pages
Published April 18th 2013 by Routledge (first published December 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about My New Gender Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My New Gender Workbook

Cal
I'm liberal, ace, and genderqueer, and there is a lot of stuff I did not agree with in this book. First of all, the way it's written is really only going to convince people who already are in this area of thought. Anyone who is approaching these ideas for the first time, especially if they come from a conservative mindset, are not going to be moved by anything she has to say and on the contrary be repelled by most of it due to the way she presents it, just like how a Pride Parade Recap on tv rep ...more
Erin Sterling
Most of us think of gender as a (mostly) binary thing and we use it all the time: divide into girls and boys, the gender gap in college admissions, why girls aren't going into computer science, etc. This book will challenge your thinking of what gender is and look at all sorts of different aspects of gender. Written by a transgender woman, the book is a mix of quizzes (a la your favorite teen magazines) and information about gender identity, sexual orientation, sex, and a whole lot more. It's a ...more
Mathew Walls
Someone recommended this book to me a while ago and I just got around to giving it a look today, but I couldn't read it. The author's style and tone is just utterly insufferable. "Look at me being all subversive and in-your-face and quoting Doctor Who." It kind of feels like it was written by Tumblr.
C.E. G
Glad I read this, especially for her differentiation between sex/gender and a few of the exercises, but by the end I had lost my interest.
LibraryDanielle
Aug 30, 2015 LibraryDanielle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I thought this was done decently and had some good info, but for me it was too "cutesy" too "we're best buds, omg!" I do wish some of that had been dropped.

I also agree with a previous reviewer who did that this isn't going to change anyone's mind or make them THINK. It's written for people who already have an interest or reason to investigate.

so for me, it didn't fulfill what I was quite v hoping for. well thought out and well written, but not executed as week add it could have been. I though
Sophia
Apr 20, 2014 Sophia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-2014
Fun layout, cute graphics, but too many problematic aspects (appropriation of native terms ie. "twibe", mock portrayals of religion, etc) that prevents it from being anymore than 3 stars.
aj
Sep 29, 2015 aj rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism-etc, queer
I enjoyed the beginning, especially how other voices were incorporated by way of contributed tweets, etc. I largely skipped the quizzes (it's a library book, so I'm not going to mark it up), and eventually the redundancy and cutesy writing was too much for me. I tried skipping through sections, but that was confusing.

I think there are people who I'd recommend it to with the expectation that they'll only reach 20%, and it'd still help them. There's plenty of good stuff in here, but maybe it could
k
Apr 24, 2014 k rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Because I'm too UGH to articulate my thoughts right now I'm just going to link this pretty accurate review.

Also, cultural appropriation and mock portrayals of religion is not something I am okay with.
Melissa Oliver
May 04, 2016 Melissa Oliver rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for a college course, and while Bornstein presents privilege in an excellent way, the book is written at an insultingly low level and filled with patronizing, cutesy language. I found it incredibly condescending.
Sassafras Lowrey
a really fun update to Kate Bornstein's classic text which includes great sidebars from the genderqueer world of twitter! I'm honored to have some of my tweets included in this book!
Zoe
An important book for our time, one I would recommend to anyone who has reached the age of consent. I don't pretend to understand every concept in here, or agree with them all, but I welcome the opportunity to stretch my thinking about gender. For example, I like the idea of there being five components of gender: gender assignment; gender role; gender identity; gender expression; and gender attribution. I also like thinking of gender as the intersection of identity, power, and desire. I like how ...more
Jordan Lombard
As a gender neutral asexual (ace) who is also quiet and introverted, this book wasn't for me. I found a lot of the quizzes (and there are a lot) difficult to answer mostly because they don't take aces into consideration and are mostly about sex or PDAs. I'm not into PDAs, not because I'm afraid of what others will think, do, or say, but just because I'm not into that kind of action, even at home in private.

Don't get me wrong, aside from that aspect, I do like what she has to say, and I thoroughl
Ariel Chesed Kestenbaum
Honestly Kate Bornstein is perfect and my role model in life and the sweetest soul and I feel so much better for having read this book. That's the highest praise I can give a book, right there.
Alyssa
Jun 04, 2016 Alyssa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is very thought provoking although I could do with fewer tweets inside it.
Alexia
Oct 23, 2015 Alexia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading through the book. Kate Bornstein writes in a very sweet and kind manner, which is really comforting when you are confused and worried about gender. I learned new ways to look at the world, and not just in regards to gender.

Of course there were points where we disagreed, but Bornstein repeats through the book that everything is just theory and could easily be wrong. Thus, the content of the book never seemed off-putting.

I feel grateful to have read the book at a time I t
COME_TO_THE_DARK_SIDE
It seems a teenager's Tumblr.
Kelsey
Aug 19, 2013 Kelsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The new gender workbook is excellent. It really helped me to answer the question "what is gender?"- surprisingly hard to answer, right? The book has helped me to understand my own identity and expression. A must read for anyone in the trans* spectrum, interested in gender theory, or just curious! Easy to follow whether you're a novice or well versed in queer studies. A+ Kate!
Drianne
Jan 17, 2014 Drianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very cute. Accessible. A bit twee and over-precious at times.
James
Jan 16, 2014 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, non-fiction
(2.5*)
Leah
Dec 04, 2013 Leah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic-me
I'm thinking about using this book for a Psych of Women class I'm teaching next semester....because of the affordable price. Other suggestions are most welcome.
Anderson
Apr 25, 2014 Anderson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't work for me. I appreciate having to read something outside my normal interest but it's presentation did not connect with me. Seemed hyperbolic.
Linus
Not sure what to thingk. Has its cool parts, has its awful parts, wasn't particularily helpful to me, but still mostly a nice read...
Erica McDowell
Erica McDowell marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Michael La Guerra
Michael La Guerra rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
K
K marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2016
Shelby MacArthur
Shelby MacArthur marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Deborah Mike
Deborah Mike marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
MJ Jarvis
MJ Jarvis marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
  • Nina Here Nor There: My Journey Beyond Gender
  • Excluded: Making Feminist and Queer Movements More Inclusive
  • The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You
  • Hear Us Out!: Lesbian and Gay Stories of Struggle, Progress, and Hope, 1950 to the Present
  • Beyond Binary: Genderqueer and Sexually Fluid Speculative Fiction
  • Sex Changes: The Politics of Transgenderism
  • Happy Families
  • Transgender History
  • Revolutionary Voices: A Multicultural Queer Youth Anthology
  • Transitions of the Heart: Stories of Love, Struggle and Acceptance by Mothers of Transgender and Gender Variant Children
  • Nobody Passes: Rejecting the Rules of Gender and Conformity
  • Roving Pack
  • My Princess Boy
  • Just Add Hormones: An Insider's Guide to the Transsexual Experience
Kate Bornstein is a Jewish-American author, playwright, performance artist, and gender theorist.
More about Kate Bornstein...