Start by marking “The Magic Castle: A Mother's Harrowing True Story Of Her Adoptive Son's Multiple Personalities-- And The Triumph Of Healing” as Want to Read:

Alex Smith and his eight personalities were trapped in a world of unfathomable evil...until he entered the "magic castle" and found the key to his freedom.

When Carole Smith and her husband decided to take in a foster child that no one else would have, they knew ten-year-old Alex would be difficult. But nothing had prepared them for the unruly, self-destructive boy who stor
Published January 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic Castle

Brandie
Jan 03, 2011 Brandie rated it really liked it
Very disturbing, but an amazing true story.

Recommended for psychology majors.
Lisa
Jul 23, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
A very sad tale. Very well-written. I could feel this mother's emotions as she fought to help her adopted son struggle through his disorder. Not a book for the faint-hearted or casual reader. Very somber subject matter.
Janice Osborne
Jan 12, 2013 Janice Osborne rated it it was amazing
Very intense story. Helped me understand how amazing our minds are. The power they hold in being able to protect us yet can keep us so ill in the same sense.
G
Sep 10, 2016 G rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a very interesting and touching read, especially since I know the main character.
Fiorela
Nov 18, 2016 Fiorela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, horror
Love conquers all. This true story is shocking as well as enlightening. It is a show case of human cruelty and evil perversion, but it also show how good is still possible and evil can be defeated.
I wish the best and all the blessings for Alex and his family and for the perpetrators, well God will find them and then they will see.
Connie Lichtenberg
Sep 12, 2016 Connie Lichtenberg rated it it was amazing
This book is a gripping tale of a mother's determination to help her foster son. The strength and intuition she shows is inspiring. Those who've had to fight on behalf of a child a due any mental or physical illness will easily identify her struggles. For those who haven't, this will be a poignant look into lives of parents who have. The overall theme of the book is to follow your intuition and never stop fighting. I highly recommend this book!
justablondemoment
This was a tough one for me. Books like this make me want to find the abusers and go 'postal' on them. Then I want to find the survivors and warm fuzzy them. Alex's story is one that needs not just to be read but taken into the reader's soul and left there never to be forgotten. Even though this story was years ago it is still much to be understood about this mental illness, and that is so very sad.

The way it was written it was a little hard to read. The style of writing was one of the jumping
Jess
Nov 21, 2013 Jess rated it it was amazing
although this book was quite hard for me to read, it was an amazing book. i'm interested in psychological disorders so this is a very good book to read if you also like those types of books. there were moments where i had to put the book down and step away from it for a little while because of the situations, they were hard to read.
Brittany
Brittany rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2012
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Andrea Simunovich
Andrea Simunovich rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Pamla
Pamla rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Hilary
Hilary rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2010
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Debbie Ruryk
Debbie Ruryk rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2015
Edwin Morales
Edwin Morales rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2013
Chrissyreads
Chrissyreads rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2009
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Kristyn
Kristyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2007
Laurie
May 23, 2011 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Multiple personalities
Captured me for a full day of reading. How does one survive such brutality?
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Shirene
Shirene rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Jeff Spires
Jeff Spires rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Whitney
Whitney rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
Chrystal Neftzer
Chrystal Neftzer rated it did not like it
Mar 05, 2016
Lori Barnes
Lori Barnes rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Giulia Freddara
Giulia Freddara rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Emily Obrien
Emily Obrien rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Indivs
Indivs rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
Lexie
Lexie rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • I'm Eve
  • Amongst Ourselves: A Self-Help Guide to Living with Dissociative Identity Disorder
  • Fractured
  • A Fractured Mind: My Life with Multiple Personality Disorder
  • The Way Back: Inside the Mind of a Multiple Personality
  • The Dissociative Identity Disorder Sourcebook
  • Rebuilding Shattered Lives: Treating Complex PTSD and Dissociative Disorders
  • Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation: Skills Training for Patients and Therapists
  • Bitter Memories: A Memoir of Heartache & Survival (Memories, #1)
  • All of Me