Start by marking “Finding Hannah” as Want to Read:
Finding Hannah

Finding Hannah

Fifteen-year-old Dylan Beachley's family is shattered when his older sister Hannah is kidnapped from their rural New Hampshire home while he slept just one floor away. Weeks of searching by volunteers and local law enforcement provides no clues to Hannah’s whereabouts. Determined to find her after the official search is suspended, Dylan sets out using his extensive knowled ...more
Published May 28th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Finding Hannah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Hannah

Abbie
Mar 20, 2015 Abbie rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Dylan and Molly were both okay characters, and they made a cute couple.

This was an okay read, but there were parts where I felt bored, and there was a few things in this that were unbelievable. The main part being that Dylan's parents, who just lost their daughter, would let their son go out for days/nights at a time looking for her, especially when one of those parents was a cop.

The ending was okay, but there was yet again another thing I couldn't quite believe parents would let their 15 year
Ara Lee
Oct 29, 2015 Ara Lee rated it really liked it
In Finding Hannah, the plot is discombobulated, choppy, and inconsistent. However, in many ways, this seems to add a certain charm to the writer's style. The book overall is a mess, yet this is on purpose. The main character, Dylan, is a teenager whose sister gets kidnapped in their own home. To make Dylan feel even more liable, he was in the house when the event took place. He is confused, conflicted, and angry at the world. Throughout the book, the readers are placed into a maze to follow the ...more
Tiffany Lovering
Nov 22, 2012 Tiffany Lovering rated it really liked it

Finding Hannah by John R Kess is centered around fifteen-year-old Dylan Beachley and his search to find his older sister, Hannah, after she is kidnapped as he slept just one floor away. After the official search by volunteers and officers is called off, Dylan makes it his mission to find her on his own. He is joined by Molly who eventually tells him about her life of with a drug addicted mother and her abusive boyfriend.

The action started almost the second you opened this book. While normally I
Nancy Silk
Nov 18, 2012 Nancy Silk rated it it was amazing
Can I give this novel 10 stars? This story is extremely well written with balance, suspense, and action. Late one night, before their parents return home, 15-year old Dylan Beachley is awakened by his 6 year old sister, Amy. Amy is fearful and says there is a man with a gun in their older sister's room. Hannah is missing! Amy and Dylan are traumatized from Hannah's kidnapping, each feeling they were to blame for their sister's loss. After three weeks, the search for Hannah is called off, but Dyl ...more
Wowza this book was good. I don't recommend reading it during a really bad summer storm though. I am glad I stumbled across this book in my search of books set in New Hampshire.

This is a book that does really well conveying raw emotion, I couldn't imagine if my brother was kidnapped while I was sleeping in the next room, I would be devastated. I truly felt every single emotion Dylan was feeling, I love my brother so I get the bond between siblings.

This book deals with a lot, kidnapping, drug a
Nells
Dec 29, 2012 Nells rated it really liked it
This is not a whodunnit mystery, paranormal romance, or twisted thriller like you would expect from most teen books of this description. It's a poignant story of grief and survival. Dylan and Molly are very sympathetic and easy to relate to. The aftermath of Hannah's disappearance is also described in a realistic and sensitive way. Best of all is the romance. It's a sweet, sincere story of two teenagers who bond over tragedy. But their bond is one of mutual support, not dependency and obsession. ...more
J.A.
Mar 25, 2013 J.A. rated it it was amazing
Finding Hanna was an unexpected gem of a story. I thought it would be darkly told, judging by the cover, and though it is about a kidnapping, a grim and all to familiar subject, I thought John Kess wrote with grace and compassion. The characters felt genuine allowing me to really grow to like them. The story is a good mix of suspense and adventure filled with laughs and cries. As I read I was thoroughly engaged, to the point of using the text-to-speech function for two chapters as I drove to and ...more
Mary
Jan 23, 2016 Mary rated it liked it
Fifteen-year-old Dylan Beachley's family is shattered when his older sister Hannah is kidnapped from their rural New Hampshire home while he slept just one floor away. Weeks of searching by volunteers and local law enforcement provides no clues to Hannahs whereabouts. Determined to find her after the official search is suspended, Dylan sets out using his extensive knowledge of the forest to search for his sister. He is joined by Molly, an energetic fifteen-year-old who just moved to the area wit ...more
Julie Scott
Jan 08, 2013 Julie Scott rated it really liked it
This story draws you in almost immediately, and keeps you interested. I liked all of the characters in the book and felt for their plight...I actually got emotionally involved in this young boy's search for his sister Hannah, who is kidnapped at gunpoint from their home. He is aided by his friend, a young woman who unbeknownst to him is suffering severe abuse at home. I was pulling for these kids all the way through the book, and was anxious to find out what would happen next. I highly recommend ...more
Sara Drazkowski
This was a quick and easy read....I could definitely tell it was written for young adult. Not just the characters, but also the language and plot were fairly juvenile. Additionally, there were almost too many twists/turns or sub plots trying to make the story more interesting. The author never fully developed any of them, they seemed pretty superficial. I was touched by the families struggle with the loss of their daughter, simply because I have a son of my own and can't imagine going through th ...more
Nan Williams
Dec 06, 2012 Nan Williams rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: teens
This was billed as a book for teens and that's exactly what it was. It was a good and wholesome book with lots of worthwhile and uplifting thoughts. The book dealt with the kidnapping of one of 3 children in a family and how they dealt with their despair and trauma.

For adults, I think it was very weak and elementary. But for teens, it would be quite good.

I highly recommend it for teen readers.
Lisa Quiambao
Dec 25, 2014 Lisa Quiambao rated it really liked it
Mary Donlon
Oct 15, 2012 Mary Donlon rated it it was amazing
John Kess has written a heart-wrenching, nerve-wracking novel that kept me reading all night. The conflicted young protagonist embarks on a quest to discover what happened to his sister and is joined by a gutsy new friend. This story reminds us that courage, friendship and love have no age limits. Terrific for young adults and adults alike.
BRAD V GIRARD
Apr 24, 2014 BRAD V GIRARD rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

This is a heart rendering story that touches every emotion possible. Beautifully written with characters you'll truly care about. I really think this could happen in today's world.

Christine
Dec 27, 2012 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finding Hannah is the first book for author John Kess. It is a great adventure with many twists and turns. As a parent it is a challenge to read and not think of my kids. This book is a well written fast paced book that I have read more than once and not tired of it.
Rosa
Jan 23, 2015 Rosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad, but good

I give this book 5 stars. It was a tear jerker, but I loved it, great characters, good writing. Read it all in one sitting, and am going to let my grand daughter read it too. Super book !
Susan Moore
Aug 09, 2014 Susan Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful emotional young adult story

I usually don't read YA books but I made an exception after sampling the first two chapters. This is a great story of love, loss, friendship, determination, and most importantly, family. Well written story despite it being JK's first book.
Debbie
Sep 12, 2013 Debbie rated it liked it
It was a good book, but more towards the teenage crowd. I could see my 12 year old reading this no problem. POV from 16 year old boy. A little slow at times, not predictable, but nothing too shocking.
Gloria Kanten
Jan 17, 2015 Gloria Kanten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the read.

The story quickly had me so involved I had to sit and and read it from beginning to the ending.
Lfoote01
Jan 05, 2013 Lfoote01 rated it it was amazing
It's always sad for me to read about abducted teens. This is a good book, true emotions are displayed, very believable. I'm planning to read more from this author, I like the writing style.
Christine
Oct 08, 2012 Christine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Love Finding Hannah! Many twists and turns that you just don't see coming. As a parent, it wrenches your heart in places you never want to go. A definate page Turner not to be missed.
Kepi
Feb 09, 2015 Kepi rated it liked it
I actually liked the book, but the writing was a little simplistic for YA fiction. The subject matter, however, is probably not suitable for the tween crowd.
Kimmi Bailey
Mar 18, 2013 Kimmi Bailey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What an awesome story. Very well written. Loved it...
Jodie
Jodie rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2014
Norma Jean Bevis
Norma Jean Bevis rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Plainweird
Plainweird rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Christina P Kay
Christina P Kay rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Jana Fogg
Jana Fogg rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2012
Carlajo Webb
Carlajo Webb rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2014
  • Hell on Church Street
  • Sugar Crash
  • Talion
  • Hidden
  • An Appointment with Murder (Sarah Woods Mystery, #1)
  • Listen to the Shadows
  • Head Cases
  • The Whisper Jar
  • Fall of the Citizens: A Novel
  • Rain and Revelation
John R Kess is a thriller and young adults author from Minneapolis Minnesota. Finding Hannah is a young adults novel and is his first. Elly's Ghost is a thriller and is his second novel. He is a graduate of the University of Minnesota and holds a B.S in Mechanical Engineering and an M.S. in Industrial and Systems Engineering. John admits to being a writer with an engineering problem.
More about John R. Kess...

“fact, that rule is going to be around for awhile.” 0 likes