Start by marking “Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys: A Fairly Short Book” as Want to Read:
Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys: A Fairly Short Book

Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys: A Fairly Short Book

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,646 Ratings  ·  202 Reviews
Everyone knows Dave Barry as the hard-hitting Pulitzer-Prize winning columnist for the Miami Herald -- but it turns out he writes humor books as well!

For thousands of years, women have asked themselves: "What is the deal with guys, anyway? What are they thinking?" The answer, of course, is: virtually nothing. If you're a guy -- or you're attempting to share a remote cont

Published May 10th 1995 by Random House (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys

Bunnybodel
Dec 06, 2008 Bunnybodel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been awhile since I read this, but I recall it being sooo funny. I think this is my favorite passage:

Let's say a guy named Roger is attracted to a woman named Elaine. He asks her out to a movie; she accepts; they have a pretty good time. A few nights later he asks her out to dinner, and again they enjoy themselves. They continue to see each other regularly, and after a while neither one of them is seeing anybody else.

And then, one evening when they're driving home, a thought occurs to Ela
Wes Locher
Aug 11, 2010 Wes Locher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, essays, 2010-reads
Part of me wanted to be really upset with humorist Dave Barry for revealing many well-guarded Guy secrets in this book, but the other part of me got distracted from doing so by watching a neighbor fire a Civil War era cannon in his yard for no apparent reason.

Barry's mission (that he chose to accept) is to keep the reader laughing and this book absolutely delivers. Recommended reading for every guy, in order to learn more about themselves (as long as they don't get emotional), and for every fema
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I've read this book aloud to my family on more than one road trip. My daughter didn't get all the jokes but she did get some and she laughed anyway. My redneck fiance and me, a typical lefty Seattleite, both laughed so hard we could barely breath in parts. I recommend this to any Dave Barry fan. It's one of his best.
Erin Nudi
Jan 08, 2011 Erin Nudi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
HILARIOUS BOOK. Especially the chapter about Eileen and Roger in the car having two completely different conversations, thinking they're having the same one. Eileen says, "Roger, we've been dating for six months now," as a way to segue into talking about where their relationship is going. And Roger is thinking, wow, six months! That means...whoa! I am WAY overdue for an oil change here! Eileen keeps talking, thinking she's pouring her heart out, and Roger is thinking about his car, and maybe als ...more
Jon
Dec 31, 2015 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once upon a time I was a huge Dave Barry fan. This time was when I was about sixteen to about age twenty. I was introduced to him by my high school English teacher or by my high school journalism teacher (they were the same person), most likely in journalism. The teacher read an essay about grammar to us, and I was bowled over. I had to read more. And that I did, eventually.

I bought several of Barry's how-to books (Claw Your Way to the Top came first, a book on business) and his first book of co
Courtnie
Dec 15, 2015 Courtnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I was a junior in high school when I received this book as a Christmas gift from a guy friend. My first reaction was, "WTF?", or whatever the popular euphemism was in 1997.

My bestie and I stayed up all night reading this aloud to each other, laughing our heads off.

I had forgotten all about that until this morning when I was reminded of this little gem...now I'm off to dig through boxes in my basement hoping I can unearth it for a re-read.
Chris
Aug 08, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Yes, I went on kind of a Barry Bender here. Forgive me - as I said before, sometimes you just need a palate-cleanser before you get back into the fray.

If you're reading this, and there's a good chance that you are, you probably know a guy. You may even be a guy, though the way Barry talks about them, you wouldn't think that guys would be into book reviews. If you know a guy, then this book is for you - it will illuminate some classic guy behaviors and shine some lights into the dark corners that
Bungz
Feb 21, 2011 Bungz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone having a bad day and in need of some cheering
Shelves: funnies
While the information about guys may be redundant, the humour is not! Let's face it. Guys are simple creatures without an ounce of mystery. There's so much to know about them, which most of us learn by the time we are five.

That being said, there is no denying that despite the lack of mystery some among the species of guys (like Dave Barry) are blessed with an amazing sense of humour. This is my first introduction to Dave Barry, and he's found himself a fan. His seeming effortlessness to keep us
Jill
Jan 28, 2014 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
During the laundry rant, I was laughing so frequently on the metro, that the guy next to me wanted to know what I was reading. There are definitely some funny bits. There are also some segments where he's trying just a little too hard. A fun, fast, relaxing read. PS - Dave, Grants Pass, OR does not have an apostrophe between the "t" and the "s" but I was thrilled to see Oregon mentioned a couple times.
Beth
Jul 05, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s way too hot (over 100 degrees) to summarize this book therefore I’ll let Dave speak for himself.

“The guy body is unlike the female body. And I am not talking here about the obvious peaks and valleys. I am talking about a unique guy physical problem, a severe genetic handicap that poses a grave risk to the health of the guy body; namely, it is under the control of the guy mind.
“The guy mind does not believe in medical care. Guys will generally not seek medical treatment, for themselves or
Peanut
Jul 15, 2012 Peanut rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: men and women who find the concepts of introspection and differing perspectives thoughtful.
I have to say this is one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had with a book. I mean, of course I enjoy books, but enJOY - as in laugh my appendages sore nonstop - is not something I experience everyday, even with good-humored authors. Dave Barry is a trip anyway - if you enjoy humor, many of his books are well worth your investigation - but this one tops them all. Far too many favorite parts to really do it justice, but I will say that I've pushed the horse/he said, she said chapter on ...more
Beatrice
May 05, 2011 Beatrice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book many times. I can quote large chunks of it, but I still laugh out loud every time I pick it up. Dave is an equal-opportunity offender. He takes the mickey out of everyone, and in this particular book, he levels his laser-like wit on his own gender, embracing the universal foibles of the guys (not men, guys) we all know, love and sometimes want to strangle. He also has some pointed things to say about a select few cliches peculiar to the female gender, but mostly it is a fre ...more
Susie
Audiobook read by John Ritter, fittingly. Felt like a book written by Jack Tripper. There is some truly hilarious stuff in here about stereotypical relationship dynamics, but there was also a LOT of misogynist and/or sexist stuff in here, too, obviously. As you could probably guess from the title. Mostly it's the literary equivalent of sitcom humor, more "heh" than "haha" with the occasional "ugh."
Julio
Nov 19, 2009 Julio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious. The way he say's things and the way he try's to put things in perspective for you is just funny. But i think you should be 13 and older to read this book because some of the things he says shouldn't be heard by little kids.
Shraddha Gupta
Jun 07, 2011 Shraddha Gupta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My friend borrowed it from me. A few hours later I found her sitting in the corridor with this big group from class, everyone laughing too loudly for college. I swear I am not making this up.
Jackie
Mar 06, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a long time since I "read" this book. In fact I listened to it on a cassette tape. If you choose the audio version, make sure John Ritter is the reader. Hilarious!!
Stefanie
Jan 03, 2016 Stefanie rated it really liked it
A quick read, and full of humor about guys and the silly things they do.
Siv30
Sep 14, 2015 Siv30 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic
בארי דייב – "המדריך השלם לגברים אמיתיים"
מודן/ ניר אריה, 158 עמ'

דייב בארי הוא איש אשכולות (לפי ויקפדיה) : סופר ועיתונאי, כיכב בסידרת טלביזיה "עולמו של דייב" וזוכה פרס פוליצר.

הוא כתב ספרים ובינהם "פיטר ותופסי הכוכבים" (שאם אני לא טועה נחשב לספר ההמשך של פיטר פן". לטענת רבים הספרים שלו מצחיקים. גם לי הובטח שהספר הזה יצחיק אותי עד דמעות, אז זהו שלא. הוא לא הצליח כל כך להצחיק אותי.

"המדריך השלם לגברים אמיתיים" אמור להיות תיאור הומוריסטי של חיי הגברים, טעמם, ההתפתחות החברתית שלהם, הבעיות שלהם והתפקיד ש
Alberto Garcia
May 12, 2013 Alberto Garcia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ufffff
Jack Cheng
I thought my son would like to read some Dave Barry and I picked this one out of the library. Then I read it to make sure it was how I remembered and it was still funny with references (Clintons, Bushes, Iraq) that are scarily still relevant.

This is not a bad book for a 12 year old boy to read -- lots of boogers and smart-alecky humor and tales of goofy guy behavior.
Leena
May 16, 2015 Leena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really funny book and mostly so in a non-offensive way. Just loads of spot-on albeit exaggerated observations and stories about guys. I don't generally laugh out loud at books but this cracked me up more than once. In fact I think I might be married to a guy because of one of the characteristics guys have is the inability to see dirt. At least now I know why.
Jerry Brown
Feb 13, 2015 Jerry Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really, really funny. As a bonus, it also offers some brilliant insights into how guys think and behave. I've given it to my daughters and will give it to my granddaughters. I also use it as a defense in arguments with my wife. One of the best by one of the funniest writers of my generation.
Sarah Sammis
Sep 27, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released
Although I've never heard of Dave Barry, I have ended up with two copies of this book. In the spirit of BookCrossing, I wanted to read it before I released it.

So I came to this short, silly book without expectations. It's a quick romp through history and societal norms as seen through the eyes of a typical "guy." This book is not another men vs. women book. Barry defines his guys as a subset of humanity. They are usually male although women with certain levels of immaturity would qualify too.

Thi
Coleen
Apr 17, 2012 Coleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1/6/08 - I've been reading this in bits & pieces throughout the past few months & finally finished today. I think it just basically reinforces all those qualities about men that we, as women (I guess I'm speaking to the women readers here), have always known. At times I thought Dave Barry got almost a little too sarcastic or was trying too hard to be funny, but it was still an overall good read. And I guess I had to pause & think, and then totally agree, that he does have a good poin ...more
Brett
Sep 07, 2010 Brett rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I've been reading Dave Barry since middle school, and in the last 20 years, his formula doesn't seem to have changed a whole lot. All of his books are entertaining diversions, though pretty much empty calories when all is said and done. This one is a sort of tribute to being a guy, which in Barry's mind is a dorky yet endearing quality that embraces many of the familiar cliches of what it is to be male. If you've read his humor columns, the style here is very similar. A light read that may cause ...more
B.W. Morris
Jul 17, 2016 B.W. Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I read this book, I laughed out loud many times... and I was reading it before I was going to bed, so I can imagine the neighbors in the apartment next door may not have appreciated that! Dave Barry has a way with humor, but it really shines here, in which he jokes about the many quirks about guys and the silly (sometimes ridiculous) things they do. He's not afraid to laugh at himself, either. If you only read one Dave Barry book, this is the one to read.
Bob
Jan 12, 2015 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very funny book! Dave makes some good points about both genders and has some great stories which many of us can relate to.
Amy
May 28, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found myself reading entire passages to my husband and saying, "Wow, hmm, does this sound familiar or what??"
Throop
Mar 22, 2012 Throop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever my wife complains that she has no idea what goes on in guys' heads, I tell her to read this book because, while funny, it is a PERFECT description of how we work! Unfortunately, she has never read it, and so still doesn't understand such important concepts as the "Buffer Urinal" or the "Noogie Gene," and cannot comprehend the importance of veteran underwear.
Women, if you want to know why a 40-year old can still chuckle when someone passes gas, or why boys don't seem to know they are pu
Manda
May 03, 2014 Manda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this like five times and still laughed out loud at several parts.
  • More Anguished English: An Exposé of Embarrassing Excruciating, and Egregious Errors in English
  • Couplehood
  • Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
  • Definitive Biography of P.D.Q. Bach
  • Shave the Whales
  • The Darwin Awards III: Survival of the Fittest (Darwin Awards, #3)
  • Ranting Again
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Penn & Teller's How to Play in Traffic
  • They Call Me Naughty Lola: Personal Ads from the London Review of Books
  • Git-R-Done
  • Time Flies
  • Three Bits Of Fry And Laurie
  • Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes
  • Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...

“Guys care about sports teams. I'm not talking about simply rooting; I'm talking about a relationship that guys develop, a commitment to a sport team that guys take way more seriously than, for example, wedding vows.” 34 likes