Start by marking “Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys: A Fairly Short Book” as Want to Read:
Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys: A Fairly Short Book

Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys: A Fairly Short Book

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  2,254 ratings  ·  182 reviews
Everyone knows Dave Barry as the hard-hitting Pulitzer-Prize winning columnist for the Miami Herald -- but it turns out he writes humor books as well!

For thousands of years, women have asked themselves: "What is the deal with guys, anyway? What are they thinking?" The answer, of course, is: virtually nothing. If you're a guy -- or you're attempting to share a remote cont

Published May 10th 1995 by Random House (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys

Bunnybodel
It has been awhile since I read this, but I recall it being sooo funny. I think this is my favorite passage:

Let's say a guy named Roger is attracted to a woman named Elaine. He asks her out to a movie; she accepts; they have a pretty good time. A few nights later he asks her out to dinner, and again they enjoy themselves. They continue to see each other regularly, and after a while neither one of them is seeing anybody else.

And then, one evening when they're driving home, a thought occurs to Ela...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I've read this book aloud to my family on more than one road trip. My daughter didn't get all the jokes but she did get some and she laughed anyway. My redneck fiance and me, a typical lefty Seattleite, both laughed so hard we could barely breath in parts. I recommend this to any Dave Barry fan. It's one of his best.
Weston Locher
Part of me wanted to be really upset with humorist Dave Barry for revealing many well-guarded Guy secrets in this book, but the other part of me got distracted from doing so by watching a neighbor fire a Civil War era cannon in his yard for no apparent reason.

Barry's mission (that he chose to accept) is to keep the reader laughing and this book absolutely delivers. Recommended reading for every guy, in order to learn more about themselves (as long as they don't get emotional), and for every fema...more
Erin Nudi
HILARIOUS BOOK. Especially the chapter about Eileen and Roger in the car having two completely different conversations, thinking they're having the same one. Eileen says, "Roger, we've been dating for six months now," as a way to segue into talking about where their relationship is going. And Roger is thinking, wow, six months! That means...whoa! I am WAY overdue for an oil change here! Eileen keeps talking, thinking she's pouring her heart out, and Roger is thinking about his car, and maybe als...more
Chris
Yes, I went on kind of a Barry Bender here. Forgive me - as I said before, sometimes you just need a palate-cleanser before you get back into the fray.

If you're reading this, and there's a good chance that you are, you probably know a guy. You may even be a guy, though the way Barry talks about them, you wouldn't think that guys would be into book reviews. If you know a guy, then this book is for you - it will illuminate some classic guy behaviors and shine some lights into the dark corners that...more
Bungz
Feb 21, 2011 Bungz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone having a bad day and in need of some cheering
Shelves: funnies
While the information about guys may be redundant, the humour is not! Let's face it. Guys are simple creatures without an ounce of mystery. There's so much to know about them, which most of us learn by the time we are five.

That being said, there is no denying that despite the lack of mystery some among the species of guys (like Dave Barry) are blessed with an amazing sense of humour. This is my first introduction to Dave Barry, and he's found himself a fan. His seeming effortlessness to keep us...more
Jill
During the laundry rant, I was laughing so frequently on the metro, that the guy next to me wanted to know what I was reading. There are definitely some funny bits. There are also some segments where he's trying just a little too hard. A fun, fast, relaxing read. PS - Dave, Grants Pass, OR does not have an apostrophe between the "t" and the "s" but I was thrilled to see Oregon mentioned a couple times.
Beth
It’s way too hot (over 100 degrees) to summarize this book therefore I’ll let Dave speak for himself.

“The guy body is unlike the female body. And I am not talking here about the obvious peaks and valleys. I am talking about a unique guy physical problem, a severe genetic handicap that poses a grave risk to the health of the guy body; namely, it is under the control of the guy mind.
“The guy mind does not believe in medical care. Guys will generally not seek medical treatment, for themselves or...more
Peanut
Jul 15, 2012 Peanut rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: men and women who find the concepts of introspection and differing perspectives thoughtful.
I have to say this is one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had with a book. I mean, of course I enjoy books, but enJOY - as in laugh my appendages sore nonstop - is not something I experience everyday, even with good-humored authors. Dave Barry is a trip anyway - if you enjoy humor, many of his books are well worth your investigation - but this one tops them all. Far too many favorite parts to really do it justice, but I will say that I've pushed the horse/he said, she said chapter on...more
Beatrice
I have read this book many times. I can quote large chunks of it, but I still laugh out loud every time I pick it up. Dave is an equal-opportunity offender. He takes the mickey out of everyone, and in this particular book, he levels his laser-like wit on his own gender, embracing the universal foibles of the guys (not men, guys) we all know, love and sometimes want to strangle. He also has some pointed things to say about a select few cliches peculiar to the female gender, but mostly it is a fre...more
Susie
Audiobook read by John Ritter, fittingly. Felt like a book written by Jack Tripper. There is some truly hilarious stuff in here about stereotypical relationship dynamics, but there was also a LOT of misogynist and/or sexist stuff in here, too, obviously. As you could probably guess from the title. Mostly it's the literary equivalent of sitcom humor, more "heh" than "haha" with the occasional "ugh."
Julio
This book is hilarious. The way he say's things and the way he try's to put things in perspective for you is just funny. But i think you should be 13 and older to read this book because some of the things he says shouldn't be heard by little kids.
Shraddha Gupta
My friend borrowed it from me. A few hours later I found her sitting in the corridor with this big group from class, everyone laughing too loudly for college. I swear I am not making this up.
Jackie
It has been a long time since I "read" this book. In fact I listened to it on a cassette tape. If you choose the audio version, make sure John Ritter is the reader. Hilarious!!
Sarah Sammis
Although I've never heard of Dave Barry, I have ended up with two copies of this book. In the spirit of BookCrossing, I wanted to read it before I released it.

So I came to this short, silly book without expectations. It's a quick romp through history and societal norms as seen through the eyes of a typical "guy." This book is not another men vs. women book. Barry defines his guys as a subset of humanity. They are usually male although women with certain levels of immaturity would qualify too.

Thi...more
Coleen
1/6/08 - I've been reading this in bits & pieces throughout the past few months & finally finished today. I think it just basically reinforces all those qualities about men that we, as women (I guess I'm speaking to the women readers here), have always known. At times I thought Dave Barry got almost a little too sarcastic or was trying too hard to be funny, but it was still an overall good read. And I guess I had to pause & think, and then totally agree, that he does have a good poin...more
Brett
I've been reading Dave Barry since middle school, and in the last 20 years, his formula doesn't seem to have changed a whole lot. All of his books are entertaining diversions, though pretty much empty calories when all is said and done. This one is a sort of tribute to being a guy, which in Barry's mind is a dorky yet endearing quality that embraces many of the familiar cliches of what it is to be male. If you've read his humor columns, the style here is very similar. A light read that may cause...more
Amy
I found myself reading entire passages to my husband and saying, "Wow, hmm, does this sound familiar or what??"
Throop
Whenever my wife complains that she has no idea what goes on in guys' heads, I tell her to read this book because, while funny, it is a PERFECT description of how we work! Unfortunately, she has never read it, and so still doesn't understand such important concepts as the "Buffer Urinal" or the "Noogie Gene," and cannot comprehend the importance of veteran underwear.
Women, if you want to know why a 40-year old can still chuckle when someone passes gas, or why boys don't seem to know they are pu...more
Manda
I've read this like five times and still laughed out loud at several parts.
Heather
This book is absolutely hilarious. I followed Dave Barry's newspaper column, and I've read most of his books. Some of the books are hit or miss, but this one is dead on. The observations about "guy" nature are poignant and astute, but as important they are delivered in a way that will make anyone laugh. Women will relate his anecdotes to their own painful gender miscommunications, and guys will feel vindicated that their true nature has been so well articulated. I've given copies to several girl...more
Kaitlin
Dave Barry always makes me smile, and sometimes makes me laugh out loud. I feel safe with him, like he's my strange, funny uncle, whom I trust but who's just a little off.

I loved the diagrams and anecdotes in here. A lot of things definitely rang (scarily) true and made me think of my husband. However, I would be embarrassed to give this to my dad or some other "guys" to read - I know it's all in fun but it's definitely overly derogatory to men at points. It gets old after awhile; it's probably...more
Jessica
Brilliant! Everything you've ever wanted to know about men, and includes several jokes that my mom and I still cite today, a decade after I read it:
1. Dave, to his table of his son and son's friends, who are beating on each other, while observing a table nearby of charming little girls eating daintily: "Stop punching!" "We're not punching!" ::punch punch::
2. Guys' need to "take a look", no matter how big the problem or how small their capacity to solve it.
Brilliant. Must read for all women, even...more
Alice Chalom
Probably very funny for a guy as I actually gave into my non-reader brother thinking he'd make an exception to read for this one.. (He also happens to be to best of my knowledge as this book described a typical "guy"). As a girl (who knows guys better than most, growing up with 3 brothers) I assumed I'd enjoy it based on the reviews and writing of Dave Barry but I guess you're either a guy or you're not and as I'm not I wasn't entertained. I'm curious on the review from my brother, it'll just co...more
Betty
A great laugh out loud book!
Courtnie
I was a junior in high school when I received this book as a Christmas gift from a guy friend. My first reaction was, "WTF?", or whatever the popular euphemism was in 1997.

My bestie and I stayed up all night reading this aloud to each other, laughing our heads off.

I had forgotten all about that until this morning when I was reminded of this little gem...now I'm off to dig through boxes in my basement hoping I can unearth it for a re-read.
Drew
I really like Dave Barry! This book was not a disappointment with many, many laughs. His description of a man entering a public restroom with five urinals, and which one he chooses, depending on which of the other ones are in use, is classic--almost as good as the story he tells (but not in this book) of picking his son up at school at the end of the day while driving the Oscar Meyer Wiener Mobile. A really fun read and one to read again and again.
Hannah Galli
This book was given to my by a high school boyfriend who claimed that to understand him, I had to memorize it. Naturally it was years until I got around to reading it, and he was long since out of my life. It is what it is, and entertained me on every page. Though I don't think I learned anything about that particular x of mine. I was already aware, that he was a dude. The book succeeded however, in making me chuckle and be glad I'm female.
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Couplehood
  • Dilbert Gives You the Business
  • Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man
  • More Anguished English: an Expose of Embarrassing Excruciating, and Egregious Errors in English
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • Cows of Our Planet
  • Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes
  • I Hated, Hated, Hated This Movie
  • The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as...more
More about Dave Barry...
Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1) Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2) Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3) Big Trouble Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)

“Guys care about sports teams. I'm not talking about simply rooting; I'm talking about a relationship that guys develop, a commitment to a sport team that guys take way more seriously than, for example, wedding vows.” 32 likes