Start by marking “Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)

Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  22,847 Ratings  ·  3,192 Reviews
Kami Glass loves someone she's never met... a boy she's talked to in her head ever since she was born. Having an imaginary friend has made fitting in hard - but that's never bothered Kami. She has her best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is just the way she likes it.

But all that changes when the mysterious Lyn
Paperback, UK Edition, 373 pages
Published September 13th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Children's Books (first published September 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Unspoken, please sign up.

Catherine I think they both discovered puberty and raging hormones and couldn't keep that for each other...
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieEleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellCinder by Marissa MeyerThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskySecrets of the Realm by Bev Stout
Diversity in Young Adult and Middle Grade
404th out of 1,095 books — 698 voters
Half Bad by Sally  GreenHalf Wild by Sally  GreenThe Sin Eater’s Daughter by Melinda SalisburyThe Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick NessThe Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
YALC 2015
18th out of 137 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Kennedy
I have a scale for YA books I read, since I’ve read so many. It looks something like this.

-I hope this book dies. Right now. And takes a 100km radius with it just to be sure.

-Terrible book

-Not my thing

-Yeah that was okay

-Hmmm. Interesting

-I was pleasantly surprised

-Yeah I liked that

-That was a great book

-Wow I loved that book!

-I will read that book again

Allow me to lay down some perspective. At this moment I have no fewer than sixty-three ARCs
Steph Sinclair

Dearest Unspoken,

I must regrettably inform you that we must do the unthinkable and separate. I really don't know where we went wrong, you and I. After my co-blogger, Kat, set us up on that blind date, urging me to give you a go, I thought for sure we would hit it off nicely. And for a minute we did. Don't you remember? It was love at first sight as I set my eyes on your gorgeous cover and unique premise. But somehow, along the way, something went wrong.

Unspoken, you were true. You had a solid pl
This book, oh my god, th-th-thi...

WARNING: You may need a lifeboat to stay adrift in the oceans of adoration below!

There are simply no words to describe the mountain of awesome that is Sarah Rees Brennan. This is my very first Brennan book, and I feel like the universe has cheated me by not introducing me to her earlier. Some day, technology permitting, I would LOVE to splice together DNA from Sarah and my other favorite funnywoman (funnyman?) Rachel Hartman to create my very own personal funny
Mar 09, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It's my baby, so nobody should listen to what I think! I'm just like, oh, it should go to Cambridge and it has the prettiest hair!
Simona Bartolotta
"Listen to me. I don’t know what’s going on. I don’t know what any of this means. But I know this much. It doesn’t matter. You’re not one of them. You never were. You’re not theirs. You’re mine."

•Writing: bad. Like really bad.

•Plot: what plot?

•Characters: what characters? You mean there were actual people in here? Shocking.

There is really nothing more to say.
Sep 23, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-favorites
Okay, so it’s been a few days and I think my rage face has worn off a bit and I can talk to you all about all of the things I absolutely loved about Sarah Rees Brennan’s Unspoken without being completely bias against the whole thing because of the ending*. So, here it goes, review time!

Forest deep, silent bells
There’s a secret no one tells
Valley quiet, water still
Lynburns watching on the hill
Apples red, corn gold
Almost everyone grows old.

Intrepid young journalist Kami Glass knows there are secre
Apr 14, 2015 Steph rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, reviewed
Edit: 11/2/12 So after reading this snippet from the sequel I will definitely not (though I doubt I would have anyway) be raising this rating to two stars. You know what I imagine closes out that scene? These are the days of our lives... Is this a soap opera or a book, guys? Guess the relationship melodrama keeps on keeping on in book two.

Unspoken really isn't as bad as some of the other one star YA books I've read this year - The Bo
Sep 01, 2012 Giselle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, arc, gothic
A tale filled with magic, thrill, romance, and charm, Unspoken is a unique Gothic mystery that, if only I could have clicked with its characters, I might have greatly enjoyed. And as I seem to be in the minority on this one, I think fans of Gothic novels should definitely give it a try as it does have good writing and a very creative concept.

While most of the Gothic novels I have come to love have been fairly slow paced - ie. The Book of Blood and Shadow and Long Lankin - I found that Unspoken
Sarah Rees Brennan Unspoken is unequivocally one of the best young adult books I've ever read. I don't even know where to begin. Is it enough to tell you to read it?

Synopsis aside, this is as colourful, as unique, as moving and absorbing as a book can get. The plot involves a strange family, a old-town legend, murder, love and magic. Brennan envisions an original premise that holds your attention from the very first page. Her idea is fully developed, never giving too much while holding nothing
Sep 17, 2012 Keertana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unspoken is a novel that now, looking back, I can see had a huge margin for error. In fact, in the hands of a less-experienced author, I am confident that this story would have fallen apart, but Sarah Rees Brennan manages to pull it off. I am always awe-struck by the innovative ideas she thinks of and even more in awe of her flawless method of execution. Yet, despite the precarious line that this story balanced on and my incredibly high expectations, Unspoken managed to be every bit as breathtak ...more
This is the book for all of you who still have a little piece of a child left in your soul. Characters are seventeen, but maybe you'll have impression that they are younger than that. That's for the most part because of the writing style - it has fairytaleish vibe combined with mystery.

Kami Glass - yes, I liked her from the first page when I saw her name - is a strong girl, a little bit strange but in a good way, and she knows what she wants. If you're expecting some usual YA love story with pa
Final rating: 5/5 stars

This was so sooooooooo good. I loved every part of it. Since i couldn't decide between 4 and 5 i decided it was going to be between. And it is only because i am type that craves for explanations and i didn't find enough of them in this book. For now, it is staying 5 stars as basic rating, because i feel it didn't belong with standard books.

I wanted to read it because it was written by Brennan. I loved her Demon's lexicon trilogy, and guess what, i love Unspoken even more!
I don't know if I've felt ever felt guiltier about not liking a book than I do about this one. So many people love Unspoken to pieces and I can understand why, but I was very underwhelmed. It seems to me that Unspoken was a book that was trying to break out of the YA mold but ended up following the fold.

By far the biggest problem with this novel is Jared Lynburn. He's your typical brooding, overprotective, woe-is-me, bad boy with anger management issues. I find none of these traits attractive,
I'm gonna be honest, I'm a little bitch.

I got more than halfway through this I'm pretty sure, and it was good. It was really fantastic. I loved the humor and the character depth and I loved that I wasn't reading from the point of view of a spoiled rotten white girl. This book has everything going for it, and it's not the books fault this was DNF for me.

I'm just a little bitch

There was a reason I lost motivation to finish. (view spoiler)
Sep 17, 2012 ♥Rachel♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-e-book
Unspoken is not the story I was expecting, and I enjoyed that. Somehow I thought this would be a dark and serious tale, and some of it is. Mostly, it was a story full of wit and fun, a little romance, and magic.

Unspoken is centered on Kami Glass, a high-school student, and ambitious journalist-in-training. She’s head of the school newspaper, and always on the trail of a new story. But now Kami’s focused on uncovering secrets, because the founding family of Sorry-in-the-Vale, The Lynburn’s, have
Sep 04, 2016 Carrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kami Glass has always talked to a boy in her head ever since she was born. She's always thought of him as an imaginary friend and loved him all of her life keeping the voice a secret so others will not see her as crazy. But when the mysterious Lynburn family return one of the teenage boys seems very familiar to Kami.

Kami soon finds that her best friend that she's always had in her head is really Jared Lynburn. When an attempt is made on Kami's life Jared quickly proves that he does know all of
Jun 04, 2014 Regan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5 SO ADDICTING! And the main character is hilarious
May 24, 2015 Cody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shows great great promise!

This is my first book by Brennan and I was pleasantly surprised as it is truly like no other. Just look at that blurb: the ability to talk to someone in your head and then a bad boy in leather turns up on a motorcycle? *Fangirls* No longer an imaginary friend but a hot guy? Are her feelings real? What does she want? WHO does she want? Filled with angst and a tantalizing slow burn romance? YES YES YES YES Y’HES!

Kami Glass is an ambitious wanna be journalist who is always
Mimi Valentine
There's "bizarre" and "different," and then there's this book... which is probably the best of both! I loooooooooooooooooooooved it so much!

Unspoken is one of those books that make you slap your forehead and wonder why you hadn't read it earlier. I couldn't stop grinning, yet at the same time, I couldn't breathe when it got intense. It kind of has the feel to it of Beautiful Creatures — small town, fantastic cast, feared magical family, and rich gothic mystery — except I liked this much, much m
Oct 10, 2014 Susana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers that appreciate inteligent dialogue and quirky characters
Recommended to Susana by: Isa Lavinia
2nd Re-Read : October, 7th
Still as good as the first time I read it! :)
This book has one of the most intriguing plots allied with a vast, vast number of quirky characters, that I've ever encountered in a story.

In fact, I've never encountered such a number of strange, a little out of this world, lovable characters! It was great!

There's Kami, our fearless reporter: "Kami had been hearing a voice in her head all her life. When she was eight, people had though
Yaz *The Reading Girl*
Five "Unspoken Magical" Stars

Kami Glass lives in a sleepy town called Sorry-in-the-Vale.

The thing is, she loves someone she has never met...a boy that she has never talked to...only inside her head ever since she was born. Everybody knows that she has had that imaginary friend inside her head for as long as they have known her. But she hasn't really been much of an outsider in her to
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

4.5 out of 5

I loved this book from the start. It is good. No, it's great. It's Gothic and sassy and funny and clever and thisclose to being perfect. I love it to pieces. I stayed up til nearly one in the morning to finish it, on a night where I had to get up at 4 the next morning. If that isn't a clear enough picture of how thoroughly entertaining and engrossing this gem of a book is, I don't know what to tell you. A surefire winner. Unspoken is uni
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
For what I’d consider a “well-known book”, I’d heard surprisingly little going into Unspoken and with such a vague synopsis I was intrigued… After the first few pages I was hooked.

The mystery aspect was done so well in that we get enough information to keep the momentum going, but not enough to feel satisfied. There never failed to be something more to come which I loved. Most of this led up to (several) big reveals where the pace really picks up until it’s impossible to stop reading. That endin
Damn... I did not see that coming. No, not at all.

Kami Glass has lived in Sorry-in-the-Vale all her life. She's always been considered a bit of an outsider, due to her grandmother's foreign heritage and her own penchance to spend copious amounts of time with her imaginary friend.

Only he is not so imaginary. When the Lynburns, a mysterious family that is more or less the lords of the Vale, return, one of the younger boys turns out not to be Jared - the boy Kami has talked to all her life, and wh
My relationship with Sarah Rees Brennan's books is like a see-saw. I liked Demon's Lexicon but was annoyed by Demon's Covenant, I really liked Team Human (written with Justine Larbaleister) and - once again - was really annoyed by Unspoken. This is Sara Rees Brennan of Demon's Covenant and everything irritating that I remember about it is here again.
It's one more book where everything - characters, pacing, plot, mood - can and will be sacrificed in order to deliver at least one more witty one-l
Aug 13, 2016 Giovanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“Forest deep, silent bells
There's a secret no one tells
Valley quiet, water still
Lynburns watching on the hill
Apples red, corn gold
Almost everyone grows old”

So...THAT ENDING. Holy s***
Jared, dear, I'm going to kill you. With love of course, but I'm going to strangle you with my hands and I'm going to enjoy every freaking second of it. If you've read the book, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Let me tell you there's a reason Sarah Rees Brennan is friends with Cassandra Clare: they both
Alicia O'Carrick

He was always part of her thoughts, and now that he was real, he was inescapably part of her life, but it was as she had told her mother: saying he was part of her or that they were more than friends sounded like love, but it seemed like loss as well.

Before I begin my review, I just want to say, regarding that ending:

What. The. Fuck.

Alright. Now I shall begin.

Unspoken is a book that seemed to sparkle. An original storyline, full of wit and charm, and an MC that can totally kick butt without
Sep 01, 2013 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites-2012
Update: Finished this for the second time around, and LOVED it just as much. I can't wait to get started on Untold now. Hope my copy comes in the post tomorrow :)

4.5 stars...

I absolutely loved Unspoken. From the fantastic characters to the interesting plot and the funny quips that had me laughing out loud while reading this. It's shrouded in mystery and angst and kept me intrigued throughout.

The Lynburns, the town's founders, have suddenly moved back to the big house on the hill. Kami, as edito
Nov 14, 2015 JAIME rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015, ya, bae, creepers
This was great, if somewhat predictable. The angsty-ness felt a little pushed on me when otherwise the feeling of the book was mysterious with an a dash of wit. In saying that though, I think the angsty-ness was well thought-out. Soooooooooo.

Angela is me.

YA Buddy Readers'...: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan - Restarting August 25th 2016 103 165 Sep 04, 2016 07:06PM
any similar books? 6 106 Oct 08, 2015 04:20PM
What do you think of the ending? 65 397 Jul 24, 2015 01:29PM
Who was your favorite character? 6 50 Jan 11, 2015 05:23AM
  • The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy, #1)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
  • Dust Girl (The American Fairy, #1)
  • The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1)
  • Quicksilver (Ultraviolet, #2)
  • The Gathering Storm (Katerina, #1)
  • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)
  • Monstrous Beauty
  • Every Other Day
  • The Gathering Darkness
  • The Book of Blood and Shadow
  • Blackwood
  • Scorch (Croak, #2)
  • Velveteen
  • Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)
  • Paper Valentine
Sarah Rees Brennan is Irish and currently lives in Dublin. For a short stint, she lived in New York and became involved with a wide circle of writers who encouraged and supported her, including Holly Black and Cassandra Clare. She has developed a wide audience through her popular blog,, where she writes movie parodies, book reviews and some stories.
More about Sarah Rees Brennan...

The Lynburn Legacy (3 books)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)

“Hark,” he said, his tone very dry. “What stone through yonder window breaks?”
Kami yelled up at him, “It is the east, and Juliet is a jerk!”
Jared abandoned Shakespeare and demanded, “What do you think you’re doing?”
“Throwing a pebble,” said Kami defensively. “Uh… and I’ll pay for the window.”
Jared vanished and Kami was ready to start shouting again, when he reemerged with the pebble clenched in his fist. “This isn’t a pebble! This is a rock.”
“It’s possible that your behaviour has inspired some negative feelings that caused me to pick a slightly overlarge pebble,” Kami admitted.”
“What the hell is going on?" demanded Kami's dad, advancing with his black eyes snapping. Jared blurted, "My intentions are honourable."
Kami sat up straight in her bed and stared in Jared's direction. "Are you completely crazy?" she wanted to know. "This isn't the eighteenth century. How do you think that's going to help?"
"Well, I mean," Jared said, back against the wall like a cornered animal. "When we're older. I mean-"
"Please shut up," Kami begged.
"I agree with Kami," said Dad. "When you're in an abyss-like hole, quit digging.”