Start by marking “Love Is The Beginning (Valerie Dearborn, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Love Is The Beginning (Valerie Dearborn, #0.5)

Love Is The Beginning (Valerie Dearborn 0.5)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  343 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
This was the beginning to Love is Darkness until the eleventh hour. For me, this scene has always been where the book started and how I envisioned the characters being introduced.

So why did it get taken out? Because it is Jack's story, and the Valerie Dearborn Series is about Valerie. It’s the story of her life and her journey, with Jack and Co. along for the ride. This sc
Published August 24th 2012 by Host of the Hills

To ask other readers questions about Love Is The Beginning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Is The Beginning

Novels On The Run
Nov 20, 2012 Novels On The Run rated it really liked it
MICHELLE'S REVIEW:

This is a great little back story into 13 yr old Jack and the night his family got wiped out.

Val is almost heartachingly blaise about what her father does, at the age of 10 yrs old. Picking through belongings, like it is such a natural every day thing.

Amanda
Sep 25, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
This was a very short story about how Val and Jack met. I read that this was going to be the first chapter of Love is Darkness and I think it would've been a great first chapter. I'm not sure why the author decided to cut it? I think it had something to do with this story being more focused on Jack and that Love is Darkness is about Val but I wouldn't have cut this... This story was a great way to introduce you to the characters even Marion & Lucas. Im glad I read it but wish I'd read it bef ...more
Krissy P (Kris)
Mar 24, 2013 Krissy P (Kris) rated it liked it
Good novella about the death of Jack's parents, his first encounter with Marion and how he met Nate and Valerie.
Michelle  novelsontherun
Nov 20, 2012 Michelle novelsontherun rated it really liked it

In this small novella, I really felt Jack's loss. His family were loving and tight. His life destroyed. You can see where this anger and revenge has stemmed from. How he could choose no other life but to join Nate in his vengeance.

Val was almost
Steph
Love is the Beginning is a super short snippet removed from Love is Darkness and offered to the readers as a way to understand the fury and passion behind Jack's desire for revenge. I always liked Jack and this short only reinforced my opinion of him.

Fans of the trilogy will have to decide if they want to pay 99¢ for a peek into his past or not. I'm not sorry I did, but think it would've fit well as the trilogy opener even if "it is Jack's story, and the Valerie Dearborn Series is about Valerie
Debbie Chittenden
Dec 21, 2015 Debbie Chittenden rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
Jacks story is heart wrenching. It truly is devastating how he ended up with Nate and Val. Nothing like living with the utter guilt if knowing that you may be responsible for the death of your parents. It's no wonder he is on a rampage to kill Marion.
Debi Domby
Nov 26, 2015 Debi Domby rated it really liked it
Nice prequel

I read to read this after at least the first Val Dearborn book & it should be .... Makes more sense. I enjoyed it... Story's a quick read & seeing how it started is interesting
Paula
May 11, 2014 Paula rated it liked it
Just a short story on how Jack became a vampire hunter and ended up living with Val and her father, Nate
Tiki
Dec 30, 2012 Tiki rated it it was amazing
This is an important piece to the puzzle for this trilogy..... I read the first 3 chapters in book one, before I realized this short was available. I stopped bk1 and read this...SO glad I did. It's really important in order to understand Jack.... This tells his tragic story when he was 13, and the event that happens when he meets 10yr old Val and became part of her family.
Mhollie
Jul 06, 2015 Mhollie rated it it was amazing
A Dark Beginning for Jack. Very well written short that fills you in on Jack’s beginnings and how he ticks. Well worth your time to read.
Rosamaria
Jun 05, 2013 Rosamaria rated it it was amazing
Love is the Beginning is Jack's story, it tells you how his family die and how he met Valerie and her Dad and the moment he decided to become a part of their family. Even though this is a short story it was great to read it because it gives you the opportunity to learn more about Jack and the background story of Jack and Valerie's relationship.
Lorre
Sep 27, 2014 Lorre rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-complete
This is the story of how Jack ended up being with Valerie and Nate at the age of 13.

I really loved this! Marion killing Jack's parents was a life changing event for Jack and shaped him into what he became so reading this short story about what happened back then was great!
Kim Chappell
Sep 15, 2012 Kim Chappell rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, purchased
This is a great short story. It tells you everything most wanted to know about how Jack's parents died. We all knew Marion was responsible, but didn't know the details. It was great to know about Jack and his parents, but to know why he ended up with Nate and Val.

Lisa
Nov 14, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This book was heartbreaking.I really loved learning why Jack wants revenge so much that he can't think of anything else.It immediately pulled me in and reminded me why I love this series so much!
Jessica
Sep 01, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it
Quick little story to give some background on why Jack is the way he is and when he first met Val. Overall, it was pretty good. Just really short.
Cheryl
Sep 07, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it
I wish I could have read this BEFORE the Valerie Dearborn books. It gives a good perspective on why Jack is the way he is.

Toni ~married to a hunk~
Oct 29, 2012 Toni ~married to a hunk~ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-read, kindle
I loved this book. It gave me more insight into Jack and to why he is so screwed up towards vampires. :-)
Jenn Green
Nov 11, 2012 Jenn Green rated it it was amazing
Well, at least we get a glimpse into why Jack is the way he is & 10yr old Valerie was a trip =)
Michelle Cummings
Sep 04, 2012 Michelle Cummings rated it really liked it
I liked this peak at Jack's life prior to his joining Valerie's family.
Marie
Dec 08, 2012 Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: caroline-hanson
This story was ok, but didn't add a whole lot to the series.
Lindsay
Nov 19, 2012 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fantasy
Liked the interaction as children, definately worth the read!
Trena
Jun 05, 2013 Trena rated it really liked it
Jack!!!
Tamara Friedman-de jager
Tamara Friedman-de jager marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Brenda Lopez
Brenda Lopez rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Sherri J
Sherri J marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Laranna Knight
Laranna Knight marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Hollie Gibson
Hollie Gibson marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Julie
Julie added it
Jan 19, 2016
Karen Kwei
Karen Kwei marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
  • Vampire, Vampire
  • Elegantly Undead (Coffin Girls, #1)
  • One Wilde Night (Immortal Vegas, #0.5)
  • Initiation (The Warrior, #1)
  • Quick Bites: A Short Story Collection (Jaz Parks, #4.6)
  • Embrace the Passion (The Blood Rose #4)
  • Feed the Flames (Steel & Stone #3.5)
  • This Side of Eden
  • Crossroads Serenade: A Novel
  • Crescent Moon, Vol. 5 (Crescent Moon, #5)
  • Bastard Husband: A Love Story
  • Love's Vengeance
  • Bound (Captured by the Billionaire, #4)
  • Triple Shot
  • Curves for the Billionaire
  • Morningstar (Morningstar, #1)
  • The Shifter (Shifting Plains #2)
  • Coming Out of Her Shell
Caroline Hanson grew up in California and moved to London in order to dance and go to pubs. Eventually, she matured enough to marry and imported an Englishman, returning to the United States.

After passing the bar, she had two children and now tries to parent, read, write and play tennis. She's heard rumors that other mothers clean and cook but is putting in serious effort to make sure those rumors
More about Caroline Hanson...

Valerie Dearborn (3 books)
  • Love is Darkness (Valerie Dearborn, #1)
  • Love is Fear (Valerie Dearborn, #2)
  • Love Is Mortal (Valerie Dearborn, #3)