Start by marking “The Five Kisses (Sweet Deception Regency #1)” as Want to Read:
The Five Kisses (Sweet Deception Regency #1)

The Five Kisses (Sweet Deception Regency #1)

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  666 ratings  ·  108 reviews
If you love Downton Abbey and Jane Austen you’ll love The Five Kisses! Can the daughter of a professor with a very small estate interest the heir to an Earl in not just love but marriage? When 13 year old Chad stands up to a bully and rescues a kitten, Gillian saves him from a beating. A thank you kiss surprises them both. If she was older than 9, she might have fallen in ...more
Published August 11th 2012 by Glades Publishing (first published August 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Five Kisses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five Kisses

Kristen
Ren
This was an okay weekend read. I liked how it was clean but not cheesy. However, I wasn't crazy about the last two "chapters" where all of a sudden he's this intense, almost date rapist-like individual who all of sudden plans this surprise wedding for her the next day. You don't just almost force a girl one night, and then get up and leave with this perfectly eloquent explanation, warning her that "you'll be back," and then expect her to respect you the next day when you storm her house with a b ...more
Pamela
A sweet novel about a young girl GIlian, that meets a boy in a hilarious way, climbed on a roof, while she was trying to save a cat's life, by two boys whom were playing with a cat in a harmful way, one of them Chad. Gilian caught the boys, specifically Lester, the one who was more violent toward the cat; at that moment Gilian started to attack Lester with apples so he could stop the harm toward the little cat. Chad did not want to hurt the cat, so suddenly Lester receives the apple he got angry ...more
Jen
Yay, a clean Regency with not-in-your-face references to God! This was a short Kindle freebie. I also got the first full book in this series by this author, as I have high hopes it will also be well written, clean and with religious tones.

The only thing keeping this from being a five star and not a four star review is that I REALLY don't like the double standard of, the man is thwarted in love, so he boozes it up and becomes a womanizer, but she is still as pure as driven snow when he realizes
Carla Soares

It might have been a fine story, if it wasn't so short. The writing is pleasant, the time is well portrayed, the characters are promising (quite a lot, even the secondary ones) an the love story could have been really nice, because they are childhood friends... The way it's done, It seem to me that every development was quite abrupt... I sure wish the author would turn this into a real story... with a less disappointing ending.

full review (também em português) in

Brenda Sparks
I cannot say enough about The Five Kisses. Karla Darcy transported me to England with the opening sentence. This is a sweet regency romance that follows the life up Gillian and Chad from childhood to adulthood. For a short story, the author did an amazing job of drawing me into the characters lives. Each was well developed and their stories told to completion. I fell in love with all of them, especially Gillian’s father, who made me long to be Gillian. If you want a sweet, lovely read, don’t mis ...more
Natalie
What does a woman do when she has finished her books and she still has over 12 hours left on her cross country train trip? She looks at the Kindle App on her phone to see what she can find. This novella saved me from several hours of boredom on my recent vacation (here's a train travel tip: take a LOT of books or a couple of really long books. Also, bring some dramamine in case you get train sick. . . .).

Five Kisses tells a very sweet love story. I really enjoyed the relationship building aroun
Rose
(view spoiler) ...more
writer...
Quick enjoyable read, each chapter presenting the story of one of the kisses as our MCs move through childhood to adulthood... I loved the descriptive and emotionally moving Christmas celebration, language and phrases of the era, individual personalities well expressed.

The ending could have been a creative and delightful turn for the future. I have to agree with 2 previous reviews [Jen and Ren] in their perspectives that reflect my own-
(view spoiler)
Jess Swann
Un petit e book fort sympathique... Rien de renversant, l'histoire est assez convenue ( une amitié d'enfance devient une histoire d'amour) mais c'est raconté avec originalité (certains diront, fainéantise). On suit donc Chad et Gillian depuis leur rencontre jusqu'à la concrétisation en cinq baisers... Le premier baiser lorsqu'elle a 8/9 ans, le dernier lorsqu'elle en a 21. Entre les deux, on ne sait pas grand chose de ce qu'ils pensent, ce qu'ils ressentent... On apprend les aventures de Chad un ...more
Gabs
Actually, I don't love Jane Austen or Downton Abbey. It's not that I don't like them, I just haven't read or seen them yet. I will someday, of course, it just hasn't happened yet. What I did love was that cover, so I got this book for free on Amazon. (Go freebies!)

This book was all right. It didn't exactly draw me in, but I didn't want to throw it across the floor, that's for sure. So, it's earned three stars.

I've never read many regency romances before. After reading this book, I think that I m
Melissa Levine
Gadgetgayle
Novella. Content: clean, kissing.
I started to enjoy this book and liked the characters. Things were moving at a nice pace until the last two chapters, then BAM! The ending was so abrupt and oddly done that it left a bad taste in my mouth. Definitely could have used some more story and character development, especially with Chad.
Sara
This is a very quick read. I wish it were longer though, to give the characters some more depth. There's A LOT that happens behind the scenes that I would like to read about. There were a few spots that were a bit too historically inaccurate for my taste (some dialogue, for instance); but overall a very enjoyable story.
Kaliannah Shirah
IrishAmber
Cute, Clean, Quick

Cute, Clean, Quick

A lovely little romance. Two kids growing up together, that are eventually separated by age, title, and time. Every few years they meet up again at Christmas. Until they finally realize their love for each other. Worth a read.
Sally Hannoush
A cute short read. I enjoyed the idea of the 5 kisses. The end of the story ended like I thought it would be but not the way I expected. I wish the ending was a little longer so we could feel the depth of the male character's feelings and not just told what happens. But still nice little read.
Teya
It was interesting. A fast forward from childhood to adult growing of Love. It was fast and yet each section was slowed down to watch, per say the childhood friendship up. I wish their was more and yet each section was specifically written. It's an interesting concept.
Nancy
Gillian grew up with Chad next door but then he inherits his father’s title and becomes an Earl. Spurned by his fiancé, he buys a commission and goes off to war. Meanwhile, Gillian matures into a lovely young lady. She makes the rounds of ballrooms and soirees while hunting for a husband. One man in particular is attracted to her, but Gillian’s best friend likes him more, and so she encourages their relationship. When Chad comes home for the holidays, Gillian realizes he’s always had her heart. ...more
Jodi Woody
This was a short Regency Novella. It was a fun read. Everything you would expect from Regency. I read it in one sitting. I would read more of the series. It seems they are all stand alone. I give it 4 stars. I can recommend to teens and up. Clean romance.
Laurie
Short but enjoyable. An easy read. It brings back fond memories as a child reading my mom's ladies' magazines. They often had short romance stories in between the cooking tips of the 1950's and 1960's. I'll probably read the next in the series.
elaine m. suda
Eenjoyed the story

The story was fast moving. I enjoy older century English manner stories. It's fascinating the way the characters seem to handle the traumas that happen in their lives. Sometimes, I want the story to continue on. I enjoyed it very much.

Joanna Bethea
Cute book in the beginning but the author seemed to end it pretty abruptly. I liked how she developed characters. Writing is good but a little simplistic. I do like the author enough to read her other books.
KVP
Lacking depth

Difficult read, unable to hold the attention. Story line felt disconnected and incomplete. Characters lacked personality and were somewhat depressing.
Shantelle
The Five Kisses was a sweet and short Regency romance. I enjoyed it for the most part, except in the end where Chad takes too much liberties with Gillian, and even though he admits he can't control himself around her, they are still alone in her house together at night. Also, it implied he was less than a moral person during his time at war, but Gillian doesn't challenge that, but rather, overlooks it.

So yeah, I really feel it could have done without those things... (I would have given it mor
Irène Wadowski uliasz
livre sympathique . on y découvre l'évolution des sentiments entre deux enfants jusqu' à l'âge adulte de façon original.
Tatjana
This was a super cute and short read that i picked up for free on iBooks, it was just really cute.
Kay Bolton
Jul 06, 2013 Kay Bolton rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans
This was over in the blink of an eye ... no sooner started than it was gone .... which actually, was a real shame as it was an absolute delight.

Sometimes a piece of writing acts as an amuse bouche for the Author's other pieces of work, and this is the case here.

Karla Darcy provided me with a sweet and refreshing and happy piece of literature, and left me wanting more, much, much more of her work.

Check it out.

Rating

As short as it was, it could earn no less than:

5 Stars

Errors/Bug Bears:

Not a singl
Chamrie Andrews
Cute novella, everything seemed to wrap up super fast in the end, but most books do...
Lisa M.
This book was not the best. It was very flimsy and awkward at times in it's plot.
Do you think the reason Gill's mother death should have being said. 1 11 Sep 04, 2012 09:11AM
  • The Duke's Undoing
  • Mine, All Mine
  • The Misbehaving Marquess (Nottinghamshire, #2)
  • Curricle & Chaise
  • Promise Me
  • To Tame A Dragon (The Reluctant Bride Collection, #2)
  • Charmed By Knight (The Fielding Brother's Saga)
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • Wildfire Kiss
  • Bewitched
  • Twice a Rake
  • Rules for a Lady
  • Hint of Desire (The Desire Series, #1)
  • Defiant Impostor
  • Forever Mine (The Rumor, #0.5)
  • The Six-Month Marriage
  • To Marry a Marquess
  • Married By Midnight (Pembroke Palace, #4)
Karla Darcy lives with her husband, several tame geckos and an occasional friendly snake on the Treasure Coast on the east side of Florida. She has always felt she lived in the Regency period in a past life. Her early writings were musical comedies and humor columns so it was an easy transition to the romantic and humorous style of Regencies. Lovely dresses, masked balls and witty conversations, w ...more
More about Karla Darcy...

Sweet Deception Regency (8 books)
  • The Masked Heart (Sweet Deception Regency #2)
  • The Marriage Wager (Sweet Deception Regency #3)
  • The Scandalous Ward (Sweet Deception Regency #4)
  • The Virtuous Ward (Sweet Deception Regency #5)
  • The American Bride (Sweet Deception Regency #6)
  • The Divided Hearts (Sweet Deception Regency #7)
  • The Rebellious Heiress
The Masked Heart (Sweet Deception Regency #2) The American Bride (Sweet Deception Regency #6) The Virtuous Ward (Sweet Deception Regency #5) The Marriage Wager (Sweet Deception Regency #3) The Scandalous Ward (Sweet Deception Regency #4)