Start by marking “The Five Kisses (Sweet Deception Regency #1)” as Want to Read:
The Five Kisses (Sweet Deception Regency #1)

The Five Kisses (Sweet Deception Regency #1)

A Christmas NOVELLA If you love Downton Abbey and Jane Austen you’ll love The Five Kisses! Can the daughter of a professor with a very small estate interest the heir to an Earl in not just love but marriage? When 13 year old Chad stands up to a bully and rescues a kitten, Gillian saves him from a beating. A thank you kiss surprises them both. If she was older than 9, she m ...more
Published August 11th 2012 by Glades Publishing (first published August 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Five Kisses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five Kisses

Kristen
Feb 24, 2013 Kristen rated it liked it
Ren
Jul 14, 2013 Ren rated it liked it
This was an okay weekend read. I liked how it was clean but not cheesy. However, I wasn't crazy about the last two "chapters" where all of a sudden he's this intense, almost date rapist-like individual who all of sudden plans this surprise wedding for her the next day. You don't just almost force a girl one night, and then get up and leave with this perfectly eloquent explanation, warning her that "you'll be back," and then expect her to respect you the next day when you storm her house with a b ...more
Pamela
Apr 15, 2014 Pamela rated it it was amazing
A sweet novel about a young girl GIlian, that meets a boy in a hilarious way, climbed on a roof, while she was trying to save a cat's life, by two boys whom were playing with a cat in a harmful way, one of them Chad. Gilian caught the boys, specifically Lester, the one who was more violent toward the cat; at that moment Gilian started to attack Lester with apples so he could stop the harm toward the little cat. Chad did not want to hurt the cat, so suddenly Lester receives the apple he got angry ...more
Melissa Levine
Jul 26, 2015 Melissa Levine rated it it was ok
Shelves: everyday-life
Jen
Jan 03, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: keepers, kindle
Yay, a clean Regency with not-in-your-face references to God! This was a short Kindle freebie. I also got the first full book in this series by this author, as I have high hopes it will also be well written, clean and with religious tones.

The only thing keeping this from being a five star and not a four star review is that I REALLY don't like the double standard of, the man is thwarted in love, so he boozes it up and becomes a womanizer, but she is still as pure as driven snow when he realizes
Carla Soares
Oct 11, 2013 Carla Soares rated it it was ok

It might have been a fine story, if it wasn't so short. The writing is pleasant, the time is well portrayed, the characters are promising (quite a lot, even the secondary ones) an the love story could have been really nice, because they are childhood friends... The way it's done, It seem to me that every development was quite abrupt... I sure wish the author would turn this into a real story... with a less disappointing ending.

full review (também em português) in

Brenda Sparks
Aug 29, 2012 Brenda Sparks rated it it was amazing
I cannot say enough about The Five Kisses. Karla Darcy transported me to England with the opening sentence. This is a sweet regency romance that follows the life up Gillian and Chad from childhood to adulthood. For a short story, the author did an amazing job of drawing me into the characters lives. Each was well developed and their stories told to completion. I fell in love with all of them, especially Gillian’s father, who made me long to be Gillian. If you want a sweet, lovely read, don’t mis ...more
Isabelle
Mar 13, 2016 Isabelle rated it it was ok
Lacked excitement, no umph to the story
Megan
Jun 09, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it
Great apples and cats but needs some fluff

I liked the plot and the story line, I just would've liked to know more about what happened in between each kiss. Also, I want to see what happened in the following week with the wedding and all. Maybe an epilogue showing if she helped with Penny's school or how she adjusted to being a Countess.
The one thing that bothered me the most though was how the father's death was introduced. It seemed unnecessary for him to die (just a hug? It could've happened
Natalie
Jul 31, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it
What does a woman do when she has finished her books and she still has over 12 hours left on her cross country train trip? She looks at the Kindle App on her phone to see what she can find. This novella saved me from several hours of boredom on my recent vacation (here's a train travel tip: take a LOT of books or a couple of really long books. Also, bring some dramamine in case you get train sick. . . .).

Five Kisses tells a very sweet love story. I really enjoyed the relationship building aroun
Rose
Jul 04, 2013 Rose rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-edition
(view spoiler) ...more
writer...
Jul 31, 2013 writer... rated it liked it
Quick enjoyable read, each chapter presenting the story of one of the kisses as our MCs move through childhood to adulthood... I loved the descriptive and emotionally moving Christmas celebration, language and phrases of the era, individual personalities well expressed.

The ending could have been a creative and delightful turn for the future. I have to agree with 2 previous reviews [Jen and Ren] in their perspectives that reflect my own-
(view spoiler)
Jess Swann
Oct 02, 2013 Jess Swann rated it liked it
Un petit e book fort sympathique... Rien de renversant, l'histoire est assez convenue ( une amitié d'enfance devient une histoire d'amour) mais c'est raconté avec originalité (certains diront, fainéantise). On suit donc Chad et Gillian depuis leur rencontre jusqu'à la concrétisation en cinq baisers... Le premier baiser lorsqu'elle a 8/9 ans, le dernier lorsqu'elle en a 21. Entre les deux, on ne sait pas grand chose de ce qu'ils pensent, ce qu'ils ressentent... On apprend les aventures de Chad un ...more
Gabs
Actually, I don't love Jane Austen or Downton Abbey. It's not that I don't like them, I just haven't read or seen them yet. I will someday, of course, it just hasn't happened yet. What I did love was that cover, so I got this book for free on Amazon. (Go freebies!)

This book was all right. It didn't exactly draw me in, but I didn't want to throw it across the floor, that's for sure. So, it's earned three stars.

I've never read many regency romances before. After reading this book, I think that I m
Gadgetgayle
Mar 16, 2015 Gadgetgayle rated it it was ok
Shelves: pg
Novella. Content: clean, kissing.
I started to enjoy this book and liked the characters. Things were moving at a nice pace until the last two chapters, then BAM! The ending was so abrupt and oddly done that it left a bad taste in my mouth. Definitely could have used some more story and character development, especially with Chad.
Sara
Jan 21, 2015 Sara rated it liked it
This is a very quick read. I wish it were longer though, to give the characters some more depth. There's A LOT that happens behind the scenes that I would like to read about. There were a few spots that were a bit too historically inaccurate for my taste (some dialogue, for instance); but overall a very enjoyable story.
Kaliannah Shirah
Dec 28, 2014 Kaliannah Shirah rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
IrishAmber
Jun 05, 2014 IrishAmber rated it really liked it
Cute, Clean, Quick

Cute, Clean, Quick

A lovely little romance. Two kids growing up together, that are eventually separated by age, title, and time. Every few years they meet up again at Christmas. Until they finally realize their love for each other. Worth a read.
Sally Hannoush
Jun 16, 2014 Sally Hannoush rated it liked it
A cute short read. I enjoyed the idea of the 5 kisses. The end of the story ended like I thought it would be but not the way I expected. I wish the ending was a little longer so we could feel the depth of the male character's feelings and not just told what happens. But still nice little read.
Teya Peck
Apr 01, 2015 Teya Peck rated it really liked it
It was interesting. A fast forward from childhood to adult growing of Love. It was fast and yet each section was slowed down to watch, per say the childhood friendship up. I wish their was more and yet each section was specifically written. It's an interesting concept.
Nancy
Apr 06, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, historical
Gillian grew up with Chad next door but then he inherits his father’s title and becomes an Earl. Spurned by his fiancé, he buys a commission and goes off to war. Meanwhile, Gillian matures into a lovely young lady. She makes the rounds of ballrooms and soirees while hunting for a husband. One man in particular is attracted to her, but Gillian’s best friend likes him more, and so she encourages their relationship. When Chad comes home for the holidays, Gillian realizes he’s always had her heart. ...more
Jodi Woody
Sep 10, 2014 Jodi Woody rated it really liked it
This was a short Regency Novella. It was a fun read. Everything you would expect from Regency. I read it in one sitting. I would read more of the series. It seems they are all stand alone. I give it 4 stars. I can recommend to teens and up. Clean romance.
Laurie
Jul 10, 2014 Laurie rated it liked it
Short but enjoyable. An easy read. It brings back fond memories as a child reading my mom's ladies' magazines. They often had short romance stories in between the cooking tips of the 1950's and 1960's. I'll probably read the next in the series.
elaine m. suda
Jul 11, 2014 elaine m. suda rated it liked it
Eenjoyed the story

The story was fast moving. I enjoy older century English manner stories. It's fascinating the way the characters seem to handle the traumas that happen in their lives. Sometimes, I want the story to continue on. I enjoyed it very much.

JoAnna Bethea
Mar 31, 2014 JoAnna Bethea rated it really liked it
Cute book in the beginning but the author seemed to end it pretty abruptly. I liked how she developed characters. Writing is good but a little simplistic. I do like the author enough to read her other books.
Louiseann Walter
Oct 10, 2015 Louiseann Walter rated it it was amazing
Great read.

This story was really short and entertaining even though it spans over ten years. It also shows being titled doesn't make you chaste. And they do fall in love like every one else.
KVP
Feb 07, 2015 KVP rated it it was ok
Lacking depth

Difficult read, unable to hold the attention. Story line felt disconnected and incomplete. Characters lacked personality and were somewhat depressing.
Marcella
Enjoyable novella, even though marriage between an earl and a commoner is questionable for that era. I would like to read more by this author though.
Shantelle
The Five Kisses was a sweet and short Regency romance. I enjoyed it for the most part, except in the end where Chad takes too much liberties with Gillian, and even though he admits he can't control himself around her, they are still alone in her house together at night. Also, it implied he was less than a moral person during his time at war, but Gillian doesn't challenge that, but rather, overlooks it.

So yeah, I really feel it could have done without those things... (I would have given it mor
Irène Wadowski uliasz
May 12, 2014 Irène Wadowski uliasz rated it really liked it
livre sympathique . on y découvre l'évolution des sentiments entre deux enfants jusqu' à l'âge adulte de façon original.
Do you think the reason Gill's mother death should have being said. 1 11 Sep 04, 2012 09:11AM
  • Heaven Made
  • Bewitched
  • Mine, All Mine
  • A Lady By Any Other Name
  • To Tame A Dragon (The Reluctant Bride Collection, #2)
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • The Duke's Undoing
  • Wildfire Kiss
  • Stroke of Genius
  • Once Upon A Diamond
  • Hint of Desire (Desire #1)
  • A Devil's Touch (The Devil DeVere #4.5)
  • Curricle & Chaise
  • Charmed By Knight (The Fielding Brother's Saga)
  • The Misbehaving Marquess (Nottinghamshire, #2)
  • Scandal of Love (Scandals & Secrets, #1)
  • Almost Perfect
  • Forever Mine (The Rumor, #0.5)
Karla Darcy lives with her husband, several tame geckos and an occasional friendly snake on the Treasure Coast on the east side of Florida. She has always felt she lived in the Regency period in a past life. Her early writings were musical comedies and humor columns so it was an easy transition to the romantic and humorous style of Regencies. Lovely dresses, masked balls and witty conversations, w ...more
More about Karla Darcy...

Sweet Deception Regency (8 books)
  • The Masked Heart (Sweet Deception Regency #2)
  • The Marriage Wager (Sweet Deception Regency #3)
  • The Scandalous Ward (Sweet Deception Regency #4)
  • The Virtuous Ward (Sweet Deception Regency #5)
  • The American Bride (Sweet Deception Regency #6)
  • The Divided Hearts (Sweet Deception Regency #7)
  • The Rebellious Heiress