Start by marking “Um Ano para Esquecer (Clube das Amigas, #52)” as Want to Read:
Um Ano para Esquecer (Clube das Amigas, #52)

Um Ano para Esquecer (Clube das Amigas, #52)

Kate Somers is bummed out when she has to move with her parents from sunny California to Belletoona, Pennsylvania. After giving up her cool friends and getting in trouble at school, nothing will stop Kate from going back to California where she belongs. The realistic angst is balanced with plenty of humor.
Capa Mole, 164 pages
Published April 2003 by Editorial Presença (first published 1997)

Bee
Nov 30, 2008 Bee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is AWESOME!!! It is from a girl our age's point of view, and incredible!!
Jane Kim
In The Year My Parents Ruined My Life, Martha Freeman tells the story of Kate Sommers, a 12 year-old girl who moves from sunny California to snowy Pennsylvania. Kate was traumatized when she found out that she was moving. She couldn’t handle the fact that she had to leave her friends and her boyfriend in California. When she arrives at Belletoona, Pennsylvania, Kate already hated it. She hated the snow, the bullies at the school, and she was already in a feud with the principal. Nothing was goi ...more
Shelby
Jan 12, 2016 Shelby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book excpet for one thing: the author makes Kate seem like she needs a boy excpet the end. In the story Kate goes through drama but overcomes it. She also worries about her image but at the end she doesn't care. That's what I like. She says that her parents ruined her life by moving but at the end I am pretty sure that she is happy. But I think she learns all that when she pulls her stupid stunt. I recommend this book to people who like life sized situation and are a fan of m ...more
Preston Weatherbie
This book was funny in a way but I gave it 3 stars because some parts of the book didn't make sense. I don't really recommend this book to anyone.
Ella
Aug 23, 2016 Ella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The year my parents ruined my life
I really do like this book, is really relates to kids who have moved. It really let out Kate’s feelings. I felt like I was Kate at a part and was going through a very tough move. Kate is the main character who was moving from California to the horrible Belletoona. She had to leave behind her very best friend and her super cute surfer boyfriend. She and her friend planned something out called operation defrost. That would be where Kate flew all the way back to
Andreea
Dec 28, 2012 Andreea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the story "The Year My Parents Ruined My Life" a very grand statement to the fact that you must think about others and what they are going through as well. Also, this book expresses where home really is and that it does not have to be fancy if you do not have the love to support you. So, I have learned that being self-centered may really hurt those who are giving up so many things just to satisfy you. I got this whole saying from being inspired by Kate who always felt as if her parents ...more
lucy
Feb 25, 2017 lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Justamente ayer me acordé de lo mucho que me gustó este libro cuando tenía 12 años. Lo irónico es que lo que le pasó a la protagonista me está pasando.
Alice
Apr 13, 2011 Alice rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, I didn't finish reading this book. I got halfway through and decided it was garbage and it would be a waste of my time to finish it. I was the second parent to review this for our school library, and the first person rejected it with a solid "no." Now I know why. Shall I enlighten you?

1) It's poorly written. It's written from a third-person limited perspective, with the narration relating to the thoughts of the 6th-grade protagonist. However, it reads like it's actually first-person an
Abby Hagan
Feb 05, 2015 Abby Hagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just read the book The Year My Parents ruined my life. This book looked like a good book when I picked it up in the library. The cover looked like it was going to be a funny yet interesting book, and it sure was! I only read books that I think I might enjoy, also if the cover looks good. This book was a very good one.

This book is about a 12 year old girl who is living the life in California. She apparently has "the hottest boyfriend in her grade." Everything is going well until she finds ou
Taylor
Jan 27, 2009 Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Year My Parents Ruined My Life is a book about a Sixth-grader Kate Sommers who is convinced that moving from Isla Nada, CA, to Belletoona, PA, is ruining her life. From the moment the family arrives at their new home, the weather turns cold and snowy. At school Kate encounters Tiffany and her friends, who sneak cigarettes in the girls' room and go out of their way to taunt her. Lonely and unhappy, Kate writes to her best friend about returning to California to live with Molly's family. After ...more
Kathleen Garber
Oct 06, 2007 Kathleen Garber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids 9-12 who are moving away from home
The story is about Kate Sommers whose family is moving from sunny California to Belletoona, Pennsylvania. Kate is beyond furious to lose her friend, boyfriend and a sunny beach and go to the middle of nowhere which is covered in snow. Nothing will stop her from going back to California where she belongs!

It's a good book for kids who are also moving away from their friends, family and life as it accuractely explains how said child would be feeling. I've lived in this city my whole life but readi
Chasity Z
I rated this book a three because i thought it was pretty good. i felt bad for Kate because she had to move and leave all her friends behind. I know at first how she didn't like it because when i was done with second grade I had to move. I didn't want to and really wanted nove back too. Later on you get used to it and just talk t your friends ocassonally. Like she did she wrote letters to her friends Molly. You really start to miss your friends to but you just get know friends but don't forget t ...more
Ray
i picked this book out of my bookshelf because i couldn't remember ever reading it before. i think that i would have enjoyed & appreciated this book much more when i was in eight-grade because i was in the same position as Kate, (the main character) who's life is completely uprooted after her father gets a new job & her whole family transfers to another state. im giving it 2.5 starts because it's not a bad book, but with it being a fouth-six grade reading level, it just wasn't all that e ...more
Heather Beaudoin
Mar 06, 2013 Heather Beaudoin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edyth Seymour
Sep 05, 2013 Edyth Seymour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the book was superb. It was the perfect combination of seriousness and funniness. I really liked when Kate figured out that Belletoona, Pennsylvania was her home even if her old life and friend were back in California. Her old friends had moved on.
I did not like that Mad Eye (Madison) got away with putting the cigarettes in Kate's backpack. I think she would have gotten caught. But overall it was a fantastic book.
Kimberly Polanco
Oct 29, 2007 Kimberly Polanco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who like s comedy
This book is great is about a girl named Kate who lives in California and she is forced to move to Belatoona, Pensylvania. She had to leave behind her cool surfer boyfriend and all her friends. In the end everything turns out fine and shhe makes friends. This book is good its comedy and it looks like her parents did ruin her life that year but like they said the parents do everything for the good.
Dotty
Jan 30, 2011 Dotty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate’s parents are moving... away from beach, surf, warmth
and they’re taking Kate with them ( they could have left the little brat Danielle behind, that might have helped) And they’re going to live in landlocked Pennsylvania with snow and more snow and a school where the principal and half the kids already hate her and the other half think she must be personal friend of movie stars.
And what town would this be? Belletoona!
Chocoholic
Nov 16, 2010 Chocoholic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100-in-2010
I would give this a 3.5. It's around a fourth or fifth grade level chapter book that I bought for my girls through Scholastic. I loved the title. If you've ever had to move due to Dad or Mom's work and be uprooted from all you know, you will appreciate the story. Even those of us who haven't can appreciate this sixth-graders struggle with adjustment to life on the opposite coast from where she was born and raised.
Katharine
Jun 25, 2008 Katharine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Very funny book about what happens to a girl when her parents uproot her from sunny California to the middle of Pennsylvania. The early parts of the book make the pleasures of California sound so great that it's amazing to watch how successfully Freeman brings us around to appreciate PA's more subtle pleasures.
Katy
This was one of my favorite books as a kid. Around the same age as the protagonist when I read it, my family also moved from my hometown to a new place (although it wasn't nearly as far as Kate moves.) This book spoke to me as perfect children's books should. It's funny, heartfelt, and perfect for middle-grade kids (especially girls) who have to deal with moving. Definitely recommended.
Andreia Silva
Aug 28, 2012 Andreia Silva rated it it was ok
Shelves: leituras-de-2012
Não sei se é de mim, que ando um bocadinho ansiosa com o futuro, ou não ando a ter sorte com os livros mas este livro não me prendeu nada. E não é por ser juvenil, porque eu gosto desta colecção para descontrair, mas porque este é um livro mais infantil (a personagem principal tem 12 anos) e não me chamou muito! Mas ri-me com algumas passagens o que não é um mau sinal!
Jen
Dec 29, 2008 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute; most of the characters are fairly believable, and it's funny to watch someone learn to deal with snow when I know very well how much of a pain it can be. I like that the author acknowledges change without being bitter about it; Kate is a much bigger person than I to not beat the snot out of her friend Molly.
Spiderlady78
A cute, fun, quick read about how children can think their parents are out to ruin their lives, when the reality is parents are trying to meet the needs of their family and adjust to changes as much as the kids.
Melanie
Mar 04, 2013 Melanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: okay-books
I guess I liked it and it was okay but I don't know.. I feel like the author could have done better or something. The main character clearly shows that she has a horrible best friend and "boyfriend" and she seems to not notice so that's a wee bit annoying for me.
Sarah M.
This story is a good story of have a young girl adapts to moving across the country. The importance of family is shown throughout the story when Kate tries to go back to California. This would be a good story to have students read if they are struggling from a big move, or are new to the school.
Morgan
Nov 06, 2015 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book. It was incredible sad and depressing yet w cathartic at the same time. It was also nice to read a book that was real- life can suck sometimes. It also taught me to just keep hoping and to be thankful for what I have. Great book!!
Kristy
Jan 25, 2012 Kristy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was bored at Goodwill waiting for my husband to finish looking at the books so I picked this one up... and got sucked into the story enough I had to buy it to know how it ended, however silly that sounds. Cute novel, I would have LOVED it as a kid :)
Barbara Signorelli
This book was good. I hate how Josh treated Kate. I know the guy Molly was seeing before Kate did and it mad me so mad. Still a good book with a good meaning about not judging people before you know them and that family/friendships are forever.
Shayma
Dec 16, 2010 Shayma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was a good book i literly experienced felling i had never experienced in a book before fear joy sadness and worry it was even nurve wreking it was an amazing book lots of teenagers should read it.
Jocelyn
May 09, 2010 Jocelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i really like this bok because it is teaching you a lesson. The lesson is even if you move far away from all your friends doesn't mean that you won't have luck in the end. It is a different kind o book then i usually read. I recomend this book to anybody.
  • Radio Fifth Grade
  • The Encyclopedia of Immaturity: Volume 2
  • Luv, Amelia Luv, Nadia (Amelia's Notebooks, #6)
  • Acting Out
  • Cassie Was Here
  • The Littles and the Terrible Tiny Kid
  • Three Terrible Trins
  • Gooney Bird on the Map
  • The Gold-Threaded Dress
  • Shells, Smells, and the Horrible Flip-Flops of Doom (Justin Case, #2)
  • The Low Road (Elf Realm, #1)
  • The Beef Princess of Practical County
  • Earrings!
  • Fame and Glory in Freedom, Georgia
  • The Very Ordered Existence of Merilee Marvelous
  • Emmaline and the Bunny
  • Lemony Snicket
  • The Beast in Ms. Rooney's Room (The Kids of the Polk Street School, #1)
Martha Freeman was born in Southern California in 1956. It is not actually true that pterodactyls ruled the skies then, but her three children believe this.

Martha graduated from Glenoaks Elementary, Woodrow Wilson Junior High, and Glendale High School. Until Martha came along, Glendale High's most famous graduate was a fellow named Marion Michael Morrison. He later went into the film game and chan
More about Martha Freeman...