Start by marking “Um Ano para Esquecer (Clube das Amigas, #52)” as Want to Read:
Um Ano para Esquecer (Clube das Amigas, #52)

Um Ano para Esquecer (Clube das Amigas, #52)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Kate Somers is bummed out when she has to move with her parents from sunny California to Belletoona, Pennsylvania. After giving up her cool friends and getting in trouble at school, nothing will stop Kate from going back to California where she belongs. The realistic angst is balanced with plenty of humor.
Capa Mole, 164 pages
Published April 2003 by Editorial Presença (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Um Ano para Esquecer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Um Ano para Esquecer

Bee
This book is AWESOME!!! It is from a girl our age's point of view, and incredible!!
Jane Kim
In The Year My Parents Ruined My Life, Martha Freeman tells the story of Kate Sommers, a 12 year-old girl who moves from sunny California to snowy Pennsylvania. Kate was traumatized when she found out that she was moving. She couldn’t handle the fact that she had to leave her friends and her boyfriend in California. When she arrives at Belletoona, Pennsylvania, Kate already hated it. She hated the snow, the bullies at the school, and she was already in a feud with the principal. Nothing was goi...more
Alice
Actually, I didn't finish reading this book. I got halfway through and decided it was garbage and it would be a waste of my time to finish it. I was the second parent to review this for our school library, and the first person rejected it with a solid "no." Now I know why. Shall I enlighten you?

1) It's poorly written. It's written from a third-person limited perspective, with the narration relating to the thoughts of the 6th-grade protagonist. However, it reads like it's actually first-person an...more
Andreea
I found the story "The Year My Parents Ruined My Life" a very grand statement to the fact that you must think about others and what they are going through as well. Also, this book expresses where home really is and that it does not have to be fancy if you do not have the love to support you. So, I have learned that being self-centered may really hurt those who are giving up so many things just to satisfy you. I got this whole saying from being inspired by Kate who always felt as if her parents...more
Taylor
The Year My Parents Ruined My Life is a book about a Sixth-grader Kate Sommers who is convinced that moving from Isla Nada, CA, to Belletoona, PA, is ruining her life. From the moment the family arrives at their new home, the weather turns cold and snowy. At school Kate encounters Tiffany and her friends, who sneak cigarettes in the girls' room and go out of their way to taunt her. Lonely and unhappy, Kate writes to her best friend about returning to California to live with Molly's family. After...more
Preston Weatherbie
This book was funny in a way but I gave it 3 stars because some parts of the book didn't make sense. I don't really recommend this book to anyone.
Kathleen Garber
Oct 06, 2007 Kathleen Garber rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids 9-12 who are moving away from home
The story is about Kate Sommers whose family is moving from sunny California to Belletoona, Pennsylvania. Kate is beyond furious to lose her friend, boyfriend and a sunny beach and go to the middle of nowhere which is covered in snow. Nothing will stop her from going back to California where she belongs!

It's a good book for kids who are also moving away from their friends, family and life as it accuractely explains how said child would be feeling. I've lived in this city my whole life but readi...more
Chasity Z
I rated this book a three because i thought it was pretty good. i felt bad for Kate because she had to move and leave all her friends behind. I know at first how she didn't like it because when i was done with second grade I had to move. I didn't want to and really wanted nove back too. Later on you get used to it and just talk t your friends ocassonally. Like she did she wrote letters to her friends Molly. You really start to miss your friends to but you just get know friends but don't forget t...more
Ray
i picked this book out of my bookshelf because i couldn't remember ever reading it before. i think that i would have enjoyed & appreciated this book much more when i was in eight-grade because i was in the same position as Kate, (the main character) who's life is completely uprooted after her father gets a new job & her whole family transfers to another state. im giving it 2.5 starts because it's not a bad book, but with it being a fouth-six grade reading level, it just wasn't all that e...more
Heather Beaudoin
Edyth Seymour
I think the book was superb. It was the perfect combination of seriousness and funniness. I really liked when Kate figured out that Belletoona, Pennsylvania was her home even if her old life and friend were back in California. Her old friends had moved on.
I did not like that Mad Eye (Madison) got away with putting the cigarettes in Kate's backpack. I think she would have gotten caught. But overall it was a fantastic book.
Dotty
Kate’s parents are moving... away from beach, surf, warmth
and they’re taking Kate with them ( they could have left the little brat Danielle behind, that might have helped) And they’re going to live in landlocked Pennsylvania with snow and more snow and a school where the principal and half the kids already hate her and the other half think she must be personal friend of movie stars.
And what town would this be? Belletoona!
Chocoholic
I would give this a 3.5. It's around a fourth or fifth grade level chapter book that I bought for my girls through Scholastic. I loved the title. If you've ever had to move due to Dad or Mom's work and be uprooted from all you know, you will appreciate the story. Even those of us who haven't can appreciate this sixth-graders struggle with adjustment to life on the opposite coast from where she was born and raised.
Kimberly Polanco
Oct 29, 2007 Kimberly Polanco rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who like s comedy
This book is great is about a girl named Kate who lives in California and she is forced to move to Belatoona, Pensylvania. She had to leave behind her cool surfer boyfriend and all her friends. In the end everything turns out fine and shhe makes friends. This book is good its comedy and it looks like her parents did ruin her life that year but like they said the parents do everything for the good.
Andreia Silva
Não sei se é de mim, que ando um bocadinho ansiosa com o futuro, ou não ando a ter sorte com os livros mas este livro não me prendeu nada. E não é por ser juvenil, porque eu gosto desta colecção para descontrair, mas porque este é um livro mais infantil (a personagem principal tem 12 anos) e não me chamou muito! Mas ri-me com algumas passagens o que não é um mau sinal!
Jen
Cute; most of the characters are fairly believable, and it's funny to watch someone learn to deal with snow when I know very well how much of a pain it can be. I like that the author acknowledges change without being bitter about it; Kate is a much bigger person than I to not beat the snot out of her friend Molly.
Katharine
Very funny book about what happens to a girl when her parents uproot her from sunny California to the middle of Pennsylvania. The early parts of the book make the pleasures of California sound so great that it's amazing to watch how successfully Freeman brings us around to appreciate PA's more subtle pleasures.
Sarah M.
This story is a good story of have a young girl adapts to moving across the country. The importance of family is shown throughout the story when Kate tries to go back to California. This would be a good story to have students read if they are struggling from a big move, or are new to the school.
Melanie
I guess I liked it and it was okay but I don't know.. I feel like the author could have done better or something. The main character clearly shows that she has a horrible best friend and "boyfriend" and she seems to not notice so that's a wee bit annoying for me.
Jackie Cheung
Jocelyn
i really like this bok because it is teaching you a lesson. The lesson is even if you move far away from all your friends doesn't mean that you won't have luck in the end. It is a different kind o book then i usually read. I recomend this book to anybody.
Kristy
I was bored at Goodwill waiting for my husband to finish looking at the books so I picked this one up... and got sucked into the story enough I had to buy it to know how it ended, however silly that sounds. Cute novel, I would have LOVED it as a kid :)
Spiderlady78
A cute, fun, quick read about how children can think their parents are out to ruin their lives, when the reality is parents are trying to meet the needs of their family and adjust to changes as much as the kids.
Shayma
this was a good book i literly experienced felling i had never experienced in a book before fear joy sadness and worry it was even nurve wreking it was an amazing book lots of teenagers should read it.
Tweller83
This was a very good book about moving and the trauma that can cause. Sixth grade Kate has to move from sunny California to snowy Belletoona and has many, many difficulties. Great book for the younger readers.
Natalia
This book was...well, let's just say, many things. It wasn't necessarily bad, but it was kind of repetitive on how she kept complaining about everything and it was really getting annoying.
Julia
This book was very well written and pretty believable. (we except for the part when she traveled across the country by herself.)otherwise it is well written and i liked it a lot.
Rosaleen Leclair
Very bad.... It didn't pull me in and make me stay up at night wondering what will happen or any of that stuff. To be honest, if you want my opinion, DO NOT READ!!!! EVER!!!!!
  • Radio Fifth Grade
  • Luv, Amelia Luv, Nadia (Amelia's Notebooks, #6)
  • The Greek Gods
  • How Angel Peterson Got His Name
  • Lanie (American Girl of the Year 2010, #1)
  • The Low Road (Elf Realm, #1)
  • The Beast in Ms. Rooney's Room (The Kids of the Polk Street School #1)
  • The Corn Grows Ripe
  • Emmaline and the Bunny
  • Fame and Glory in Freedom, Georgia
  • Wizards Don't Wear Graduation Gowns (The Adventures Of The Bailey School Kids, #45)
  • Lemony Snicket
  • The Beef Princess of Practical County
  • The Dreadful Future of Blossom Culp (Blossom Culp, #3)
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)
  • Jessi and the Jewel Thieves (Baby-Sitters Club Mystery, #8)
  • Memories of Summer
  • Gullivers Travels
Martha Freeman was born in Southern California in 1956. It is not actually true that pterodactyls ruled the skies then, but her three children believe this.

Martha graduated from Glenoaks Elementary, Woodrow Wilson Junior High, and Glendale High School. Until Martha came along, Glendale High's most famous graduate was a fellow named Marion Michael Morrison. He later went into the film game and chan...more
More about Martha Freeman...
Who Stole Halloween? 1,000 Reasons Never to Kiss a Boy Who Is Stealing the 12 Days of Christmas? (Chickadee Court Mysteries) Mrs. Wow Never Wanted a Cow (Beginner Books(R)) The Case of the Rock 'n' Roll Dog