Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Myth Makers (Target Doctor Who Library)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Myth Makers (Target Doctor Who Library)

Doctor Who: The Myth Makers (Doctor Who Library (Target) #97)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Whent the Tardis lands in Asia Minor, not far from the city of Troy, the Doctor is introduced to Agamemnon and Odysseus and is forced to admit his less than God-like status. He is then given just two days to come up with a plan for beating the Trojans.
Published September 12th 1985 by Dr Who (first published April 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Tom Mills
The cover 'blurb' for this CD release provides my synopsis for The Myth Makers, yet another 'lost' story:
"The Doctor has adopted many guises in his time.. [and] when the TARDIS lands on the plains of Asia Minor.. [near the besieged] city of Troy" he is hailed as the god Zeus! "Taken to the Greek camp by Achilles, the Doctor [meets] Agamemnon and Odysseus [and is] forced to admit his less-than-godlike status.. [he has] just two days to come up with a strategy for defeating the Trojans."
Vicki mean
Christian Petrie
During the course of rereading the Doctor Who books I own, this is the first one that I felt like skipping after starting it. First off, I am not a fan of the first person narrative. So when I encounter a book written in the first person, I do become hesitant.

With this book, it was bad. I do give Donald Cotton credit for trying something. In my opinion, though, it does not work. He has Homer as the narrator. This leads to Homer talking more about other things then the Doctor, his opinion on thin
rabbitprincess
Feb 23, 2010 rabbitprincess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Doctor Who fans, those with an interest in the Trojan War
Shelves: doctor-who, pilfered, 2010
A thoroughly silly First Doctor adventure, one of his "history" stories. This time he materializes on the plains outside of Troy and contributes in a minor way to the death of Hector at the hand of god-fearing Achilles, who is convinced that the Doctor is Zeus. Gotta love stories of mistaken identity and circumstances where the Doctor turns out to have played a part in making history (or myth, in the case of The Iliad).

The story actually differs significantly from the episode of the show as it a
Sarah Sammis
It takes place during the Trojan war with the first doctor and his two companions. I guess it falls under the "historical and educational" bit of Doctor Who and not the "bug eyed monster" bit. The book is fortunately very short. It started out fun but it quickly started to drag with a narrator who was supposedly Homer but didn't sound anything like Homer the poet. He might have been Homer Simpson, if Homer were British.

The first doctor and his companions Vicki and Steven end up in the middle of
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1026018.html?#cutid1[return][return]Once again, Cotton produces a memorable Who novel through a first person narrative: this time he has the poet Homer telling the story of how he witnessed the Doctor and friends interfering with the outcome of the siege of Troy. Homer didn't appear at all in the story as broadcast (though Cotton has him absorb the silent role of the Cyclops played by Tutte Lemkow); constricting the whole narrative to a single viewpoint character does ...more
Shane Mackenzie
Some may reject Doctor Who as comedy, but to those critics I remind them that Doctor Who has never shied away from ANY genre. In their fearlessness to touch on anything and everything... they have never failed to commit to the genre they are testing. In this earnest effort, I am always willing to travel with the whims of the different authors who have written for Doctor Who. Donald Cotton, here, did a conceptual story that was successfully interesting, thematic and FUNNY. All told from the persp ...more
Leah
I rather enjoyed this Doctor Who book. It was based on one of the first Doctor's serials of the same name. I don't know if the serial was this way but the book is from the perspective of Homer, as if he is observing the whole thing and getting mixed up in it a little, too. It was an interesting way to write it. I thought it was well written and funny.
Exidor B. Goode
Perhaps the best Doctor Who novelization. It's a humorous account of the last few days of the Trojan War, told from an anachronistic Homer's eyewitness (pun intended) point of view. Slightly as if Douglas Adams had written for the First Doctor. Great humorous characterizations of Odysseus, Paris, and Achilles. And, of course, who really came up with the idea for the Horse. This is the first novelization I had ever tried reading when I was a kid. Didn't get far with it then, but appreciate the he ...more
Travis
The Tardis crew gets mixed up in the Trojan War. The Doctor gets mistaken for Zeus and ends up being the one that comes up with the idea for the Trojan Horse.
Meanwhile, Vikki falls in love and Stephen ends up with a Greek Slave girl.

Vikki's leaving is nicely done and I always thought Katrina, the slave girl was a good companion that I wished had stuck around longer.

The Greeks and Trojans come across as a bunch of knuckleheads. The author tries too hard to be funny, so the story isn't one of the
Crystal Withem
I really didn't care for the ending of this one.
Sam
An interesting retelling of the last days of the Trojan War with Homer as the narrator.
Emily Ellis
the epilogue made me laugh out loud
stormhawk
Another first person account of an encounter with The Doctor, this one supposedly penned by Homer. The Greek one, not the cartoon guy.

Could have been better, but the author chose to splatter (not merely sprinkle) the text with anachronisms that don't make sense even IF The Doctor dropped by to visit Homer more than once as is implied.

Probably better as a teleplay.
Steven
Extremely humorous (maybe a little much, in places), with "Homer" retelling the story using anachronistic phrases, but an entertaining read nonetheless. I kind of feel cheated by the ending, as the narrator is left out of many events, so the narrative drops off rather abruptly.
Steve
A decent read. I liked the narration in it (from Homer's point of view) much better than the narrative device in The Romans, Donald Cotton's other adaptation of one of his historicals, which was trying too hard to be funny all the way through.
Daniel Kukwa
One of the most experimental of Target novelizations, it's an excuse for Donald Cotton to go to town on his Harntell-era Doctor Who script...and come up with something even more entertaining, hilarious, and poignant than the original!
Mahfey
This is a truly funny book, written from the viewpoint of a dry and witty Homer (not the yellow one).

If you are reading in continuity order this comes directly after the Time Meddler not two books after.
Iain Hamilton
Bit of a weird one, but doesn't deserve some of the bad reviews it gets. Cotton, as always, is playing it for laughs and that's what it gets.
Scott James
A sadly abbreviated version of a more unfortunately lost serial. For completists only
Mrs Johnnie Tate
Really liked this one!
Paul Garner
Paul Garner marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Bruce
Bruce added it
Nov 02, 2014
Jean
Jean added it
Oct 24, 2014
Andy Stehr
Andy Stehr marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • Doctor Who: Marco Polo (Doctor Who Library [Target], #94)
  • Doctor Who: The Highlanders (Target Doctor Who Library, No 90)
  • Doctor Who and the Zarbi (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who And The Crusaders
  • Doctor Who: Terminus (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Web of Fear (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 72)
  • Doctor Who and the Green Death (Target  Doctor Who Library, No. 29)
  • Doctor Who: Full Circle
  • Doctor Who and the Creature from the Pit
  • Doctor Who: The Invasion (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 98)
  • Doctor Who and The Visitation
  • Doctor Who: Logopolis (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 41)
  • Doctor Who: Time-Flight
Doctor Who And the Gunfighters Doctor Who: The Romans Doctor Who: The Gunfighters: The Original BBC Television Soundtrack The Bodkin Papers Doctor Who: The Gunfighters