Start by marking “Discovering the Rommel Murder” as Want to Read:
Discovering the Rommel Murder

Discovering the Rommel Murder

An intimate view of Rommel's background and the intriguing tale of how the world first learned about his murder. Contains previously unpublished letters and photographs from the Rommel family.
Published September 30th 1994 by Stackpole Books

To ask other readers questions about Discovering the Rommel Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discovering the Rommel Murder

Stephanie Blake
Apr 11, 2013 Stephanie Blake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Largely based on letters that Rommel sent to his wife while on the battlefield, this book gives great insight into his strength of character and military prowess. In order to write this book, Charles Marshall, a captain in the U.S. Military Intelligence Service, spent a year interviewing Rommel's wife and others who knew him well.

I admit to being surprised at being so captivated by this book. Having recently read "Higher Call," I have come to a new appreciation of how Hitler persecuted his own
Samantha
Dec 08, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
First: I am a layperson. I have no background in military or history. But I seem to be on a WWII kick as far as my reading goes. I am jumping from one interesting subject to another.

This book definitely qualifies as interesting. I knew little of the details of the German side of WWII and this filled in many. I appreciated how the author talked about the small details of his post-war life while describing the people he met, their stories, as well as what he found out about Rommel.

I come away fr
David
Mar 09, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book mainly because history is interesting. The idea of learning more about Rommel sounded like it could be quite interesting. I wasn't too far off. The first half of this book is fascinating learning about the Afrika Corps he led. I would be remiss if I didn't include the assassination attempt on Hitler was of some interest as well. The sections that were about Rommel and his part in the war were interesting to say the least. After that it became more about Marshal's part in ...more
Jeff Dawson
Missed the Mark

I had high hopes when I started this book. Maybe there was some hidden information not yet released. Insight not yet revealed. Nope. The bulk of the book chronicles the travels of Mr Marshall through Occupied Germany. I felt duped.

For those who haven't seen the movie James Mason was in The Desert Fox:The Story of Rommel, I suggest you do. It will be well worth your time unlike this book.

Who would like? Journalists wanting to find out how one of their own was able to carry out in
Allen Perry
Jul 30, 2012 Allen Perry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. If you are a fan of WWII history this is a must read. The book is based largely on personal correspondence between Rommel and his wife along with first hand interviews with his associates all within months of the end of the war.
Monica Davis
Nov 09, 2014 Monica Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A fascinating account of the life of Rommel; not only his military career, but his family life. Many personal letters to his wife were included in this book. Portrayed as a man of honor, it is both moving and sad.
Susan Chambers
Sep 06, 2014 Susan Chambers rated it really liked it
Rommel book

very satisfying read. I'm interested in ww2 but never took time to read about Rommel. this was so interesting and it changed what little I knew about rommel. fascinating
Susan
Feb 25, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
Well written, more of a layman book, because it explains battles and ideals very well. Very interesting.
Mark A.
Mar 08, 2015 Mark A. rated it really liked it
This was a difficult book to put down. Well written for the reader to be engaged in the history of Field Marshal Rommel. I enjoyed the book immensely.
Todd
Todd rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2008
Eric
Eric rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2008
Stephanie Belvery
Stephanie Belvery rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Larry Strack
Larry Strack rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
David R. Seitz
David R. Seitz rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Barbara Mcdonald
Barbara Mcdonald rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Vidal Rojas
Vidal Rojas rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2013
James L. Wallace
James L. Wallace rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Mainous
Mainous rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Donald
Sep 21, 2012 Donald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Very informative.
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Brian Williams
Brian Williams rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
oeniadaeowl
oeniadaeowl rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2008
Charles Lynch
Charles Lynch rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2015
Tina Drake
Tina Drake rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Vanilla
Vanilla rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2014
Shelby Morrison
Shelby Morrison rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Franklin
Franklin rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2008
Mitch Rogers
Mitch Rogers rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Aaron Voeltz
Aaron Voeltz rated it really liked it
May 19, 2009
Tao Jones
Tao Jones rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Life and Death at Hoover Dam
  • Omaha Beach: D-Day, June 6, 1944
  • The Rommel Papers
  • The Men Who Killed the Luftwaffe: The U.S. Army Air Forces Against Germany in World War II
  • Tigers In The Mud: The Combat Career of German Panzer Commander Otto Carius
  • Conscience and Courage: Rescuers of Jews During the Holocaust
  • The Accidental Caregiver: How I Met, Loved, and Lost Legendary Holocaust Refugee Maria Altmann
  • Ride for Rights
  • Moments in Time
  • War Without Garlands: Operation Barbarossa 1941-42
  • The Bravest Battle: The Twenty-eight Days of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising
  • Anzio: Italy and the Battle for Rome — 1944
  • More Ghosts of Gettysburg: Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
  • Himmler
  • Angry Mobs and Founding Fathers: The Fight for Control of the American Revolution
  • Knight's Cross: A Life of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel