Start by marking “Johnny Tremain” as Want to Read:
Johnny Tremain

Johnny Tremain

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  25,868 ratings  ·  1,528 reviews
This story of a tragically injured young silversmith who ends up hip-deep in the American Revolution is inspiring, exciting, and sad. Winner of the prestigious Newbery Award in 1944, Esther Forbes's story has lasted these 50-plus years by including adventure, loss, courage, and history in a wonderfully written, very dramatic package. It's probably not great for little guys ...more
Paperback, 1976 Reprint, 250 pages
Published 1965 by Penguin Books: A Peacock Book (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Johnny Tremain, please sign up.

Shaine Collier it took me so long to read this book because i kept falling asleep to the most boring book ever it so boring even a sloth wouldn't read this i mean…moreit took me so long to read this book because i kept falling asleep to the most boring book ever it so boring even a sloth wouldn't read this i mean come on it should have more blood in it like hunger games(less)

Adam
Sep 14, 2008 Adam rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every living human
Probably the greatest book ever written, by both man and child, woman and other writing entity, Johnny Tremain tells the story of a young genius who becomes a silversmith and burns the crappin' hell out of his hand. He's always embarrassed by his sort of melty hand and keeps it in his pockets or in his mother's pies and pie type dishes. One day he meets a girl named Cilla, Priscilla for long, who loves him despite for his sick melt-hand. Paul Bunyan or John Tubbers or whichever is the name of th ...more
Jamie
"wah, I was born rich but I grew up poor. wah, I burned my hand."
Andrew
I know this is perceived as being a "kid's book", but I think that it is a story any adult would enjoy. Johnny Tremain takes place in pre-revolutionary Boston and is about a prideful (but slowly improving) boy who finds himself in the center of the independence fervor. Although I obviously cannot be sure of how accurate the descriptions are, I appreciated the book for doing such a great job at taking me back to the colonial era of American history. As Johnny Tremain struggled with adversity, his ...more
Beesan Sarsour
Definetly not the greatest book ever written. Pretty terrible actually!! Didn't like it at all. Expected it to be better and i'm very dissapointed. It was very hard to understand what was going on im each chapter and I would not recommend this book to anyone.
Nancy
If I were a children's book writer, this is exactly the kind of book I'd love to write. It has mystery, suspense, romance, history, coming-of-age, overcoming personal and physical problems; gosh, it has it all.

I've always wanted to read this book, just never got around to it till now. If your child is studying Revolutionary War times in history, this would be a great literary supplement to that history lesson. It brings the history of that time to life.

Including, but not limited to: One if by la
jacky
Jun 17, 2007 jacky rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jacky by: some educated adult
I hated this book when I read it in middle school (?). I had to choose a historical fiction book and I believe the librarian recommended this one. I found it terribly boring when I read it. Looking back now, I probably wasn't very open minded about reading something I wasn't really interested in, like most kids.
Jayna Homer
As an apprentice to a silversmith, Johnny sees great success and is a good worker. But he suffers from an accident which results in serious burns, leaving his thumb attached to his hand – promptly ending his career as a silversmith apprentice. After searching for new work to do, Johnny comes across a printing shop where Rab works for his Aunt and Uncle. So Johnny becomes a rider for the “Boston Observer.” Also, he takes part in the Boston Tea Party, and uses his skills to spy against the British ...more
Julie
I remember loving this book years (or decades?) ago in elementary school and given that it is set in Boston on the eve of the Revolutionary War, it was a perfect choice for a family road trip from Boston to Cape Cod. The title character, Johnny Tremain, is an apprentice to a mediocre silver smith. Due to an accident while pouring silver on the Sabbath, Johnny's hand is maimed and he is forced to take a more menial job delivering the town newspaper. Through the newspaper Johnny gets swept up with ...more
Nicole
I hated this book!!!! if u read this book you will become boring and old!
this book pulls you into a wrinkled old time of so-called "action"!!! i could have
found more action by going to a retirement home and watching the 900 year old people play bingo!!!!!! i of course was forced against my will to read this,
otherwise, i wouldnt go spitting distance of it!!!! if you enjoyed this book
(mr.flegar) then you are boring old!! do not read this thing! it's a plague!
save yourselves!!!!!!!!
Greg
If I'm not mistaken this is yet another book ruined by the same awful teacher who ruined a bunch of other books. Oh well.
Vlad
Johnny Tremain is the story of a talented young silversmith apprentice whose hand is badly burned by a jealous rival. With his bright future snatched from his grasp, he becomes a messenger embroiled in the American colonists' struggle for independence from the British. Johnny meets many legendary historical figures, like John Hancock, Sam Adams, and Paul Revere (himself a silversmith) and participates in many seminal events, like the Boston Tea Party and Paul Revere's midnight ride.

It's a fasci
Lizzie
Maybe I bought a copy of this at the U.S.S. Constitution gift shop in Boston this weekend. MAYBE I DID. AND MAYBE I DON'T CARE IF YOU KNOW IT!
Elaine Cooper
When I was very small, I watched the Disney movie version of Johnny Tremain and the single memory that stands out in my mind is the tune from the song, “The Sons of Liberty.” Now that I am an adult and study the American Revolution for my own historical fiction books, I decided it was time to read the original book called Johnny Tremain written in 1943 by Esther Forbes. I’m so glad that I did.
Although it is considered a novel for young adults, this older adult reader was highly caught up in the
Ron
Certainly the first historic fiction I ever read because it was the first book I read myself. Whetted my appetite for more.

Having moved many times as a child, I was functionally illiterate. (I faked reading by memorizing the Dick and Jane stories at school.) My mother enrolled me in a summer reading program which taught phonics. (Contrary to the Wikipedia entry, most schools did not teach phonics in the mid-20th century.) Wow.

I picked Johnny Tremain (Probably not this edition) from the library a
Waffle...♥
Wow it's so touching! I really LOVED how it ended completely! But I wish the author continued more with Cilla... haha gotta love romance. Overall it was great! I loved the details and it was like I was back in that time... being one with Johnny Tremain! HaHa sorry just trying to describe what I feel... sorta like, when I'm reading this book! :O Well I don't think much of my friend's would enjoy reading this book but I certainly have. Maybe... *cough* insane Helen did but she's insane so xP
Christopher Seal
The book, Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes is a historical Fiction based book about Johnny's life in Boston around the time of the revolt against the British. The book takes place around the years 1773-1775 in Boston. Johnny is around 14 when the book starts, and is an apprentice for silversmiths. One day Johnny gets his fingers burned together while working on a very important silver project, it hurt him so much that he ends up not being able to work as a silversmith anymore. Johnny decided that ...more
James Ackley
So there is a boy named Johnny Tremain who is a silversmith apprentice to Mr. Lapham. He is the leader of all the apprentices that work under Mr. Lapham. The story is about how he has to deal with his messed up hand and how he fights against the British.

So Johnny is working on a project for John Handcock on a Sunday (a silver vase), trying to get some extra work done even though he’s not supposed to work on a Sunday. Johnny ends up burning his hand and he makes it so he can’t use it anymore. So
Iman
this book is bad because i dont like historic books cause i think history is boring
Nick Hyatt
Johnny Tremain is a great book, there's no arguing it. You may need to be willing to endure some less interesting parts, but overall, I found it interesting.

Johnny Tremain is the young bread-winner of the Laphams, a family whose head of the household is a silversmith. He had been learning the trade (Of a silversmith), until his whole life changes forever because of a crippling injury, throwing him into a conflict bigger than you can imagine.

I liked it when he talked about wanting to fight, but c
Adam Hellewell
Johnny Tremain starts really slow with Johnny working as a silver smith apprentice. It is really boring. But then later it starts to get more and more interesting.
Later though it gets slightly more interesting. He is pretty sneaky and very proud. He then starts helping the patriots throughout the war. He is very brave and tries to help and really continues.
No offense to anyone but my favorite part of the book was ending it and kind of starting it. I really like how wise the old man is and makes
Beth
Funny what you remember in a book. I read this as a child, and all I recalled was one of the last scenes of the book...a very touching, startling scene. I didn't realize how much I had blocked out--except for this one event--until I was actually reading it again at the end. Not remembering actually allowed me much enjoyment of rediscovering the characters and the new tenor of humanness I could now more fully understand as an adult.

It's a great read, and very enjoyable to the one who likes histor
Elizabeth Rose
I've actually been reading my way slowly through this wonderful book since mid-June, as I've used it as an accompaniment to a class I'm teaching on the American Revolution. I've devoured big pieces of Johnny Tremain in the past, but never have I read it properly from cover to cover, as it really ought to be read, until now. In every sense of the phrase, this book has it all. Courage, conviction, some tragedy, living history, a bit of sweet sentiment, unforgettable characters like Rab, Cilla, and ...more
Cheryl
I was amazed by how much I liked this. I don't normally like historical fiction and had never read this as a child, but I wish I had. All the details of life in the colonies as the Tories and the Whigs became more extremist come alive. I feel I know a lot more about how disagreements can lead to war in general, and a lot more about Boston in the early 1770s especially.

Johnny's story isn't just young boy makes good, but a true coming-of-age, despite exterior challenges and inner demons. The other
Ashley
I am sorry if you enjoyed this book but i did not. This is why, the story too me did not really have a solution though Johnny Tremain [main character] had burned his hand in the book and was able to find a job after having to leave the Lapham household [family he was apprentecing for] it did not feel like there was a climax and solution. Finally, I feel that they decided to kill off a lot of people because in the end lots of people die.
Spencer Richards
In the book Johnny Tremain the main character Johnny Tremain burns his hand while casting silver. Having to find a new job Johnny Tremain finds himself involved with a boy named Rab. Rab introduces him to some of the Sons of Liberty and together thy must fight to keep the city free. Johnny Tremain becomes a rider for the British and is able to learn valuable intelligence to help the cause. Johnny begins to learn about the revolution and the unfair taxes put on them by the British.
Kellyn
As she recounts the life experiences of twelve-year-old Johnny Tremain, Esther Forbes skillfully conveys the excitement, danger and commitment experienced by the patriots who fought during the US Revolution. Many of the characters in this account are accurately portrayed and described—including several of those who helped write the Declaration of Independence. Reading this book cannot fail to make this time period truly understandable and alive.

Unfortunately the length and language discourage t
Aubrey Garfield
Johnny Tremain is an audacious book about a young 14 year old boy. The boy’s name is Johnny Tremain and he is a silversmith apprentice. He has a big accident that changed his whole life. His fingers got stuck together. Throughout the book Johnny faces many challenges. His life will be different from now on.

Kennedy Loveridge
Johnny Tremain is an adventurous book about a 14 year old boy. Johnny is a silversmith apprentice. He has a big accident that changed his whole life. Throughout the book Johnny faces many challenges. His life will be different from now on.
Johnny is an amazing silversmith. He is an apprentice for Mr. Lapham’s. While trying to finish a last minute project, he melts his hands together. Johnny is kicked out of the business and faces many more challenges throughout the book. At one point he is comp
Abby Townsend
I actually really loved this book. But judging from the reviews it's one of those that you either hate or love. I haven't seen one even remotely "in-between" review. They were literally either "I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH!" or "I HATE THIS BOOK! Gah!" I guess it depends on whether you like that sort of thing. I will point out that the negative reviews were mostly by immature, modern school boys who hate anything educational to begin with. However, if you even have the slightest interest in American ...more
johnny tremain 4 43 Dec 13, 2014 06:07PM
What 10 books have remained with you? (sparked by Brian Klems on WD) 2 15 Sep 05, 2014 01:27AM
Any other books like this? 10 94 Nov 07, 2013 09:04PM
Historical Fictio...: Johnny Tremain vs My Brother Sam is Dead 7 112 Jun 26, 2012 09:58AM
  • Tales From Silver Lands
  • Carry On, Mr. Bowditch
  • Daniel Boone
  • Adam of the Road (Puffin Modern Classics)
  • The Dark Frigate
  • Amos Fortune, Free Man
  • Shen of the Sea: Chinese Stories for Children
  • The Matchlock Gun
  • Waterless Mountain
Esther Forbes was born in Westboro, Massachusetts in 1891, as the youngest of five children. Her family roots can be traced back to 1600s America; one of her great-uncles was the great historical figure and leader of the Sons of Liberty, Sam Adams. Her father was a probate judge in Worcester and her mother, a writer of New England reference books. Both her parents were historical enthusiasts.

Even
More about Esther Forbes...
Paul Revere and the World He Lived In A Mirror For Witches America's Paul Revere Literature Connections: Johnny Tremain and Related Readings The Running of the Tide

“We give all we have, lives, property, safety, skill...we fight, we die, for a simple thing. Only that a man can stand up.” 27 likes
“How old are you Johnny" she asked.
Sixteen."
And what's that-a boy or a man?"
He laughed. "A boy in time of peace and a man in time of war.”
18 likes