Start by marking “Battle Against Infinity” as Want to Read:

Battle Against Infinity

(On iTunes:
(On Google Play:
(On Amazon/Print):

Albert Einstein supposedly once said that Buddhism has all the markings of a cosmic religion. This engaging little book paints Buddhism as the way of the world to come but yet explains patiently why it is
ebook, First digital edition, 242 pages
Published August 24th 2012 by Lulu (first published July 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Battle Against Infinity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battle Against Infinity

Sep 15, 2012 Liz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Non-believers, Intellectuals, Spiritually inclined, Once-were-catholics
Recommended to Liz by: Google
So... I’ve been listening to Julia Sweeney’s “Letting go of God” in my car for the last week. And I found this book by accident a few days ago. I must be very similar to both these authors. We have similar backgrounds, families, and mental makeup. I swear I can relate to both of them on such a deep level that if they hadn’t written their respective books, I would have written it for them.

Fields was raised Catholic, just like Sweeney and myself, and she was a Catholic in a closet too. I know exac
Sep 23, 2012 Andy rated it it was amazing
Drawing inspiration from an astonishingly wide range of famous sources, Ms. Fields proves herself worthy of dropping their names, thoughts and words apparently everywhere in this little book. The people she quotes from span an unbelievable breadth of time and space, including (let’s see if I get this list correct):

Emperor Asoka (a favorite of HG Wells), Arnold Joseph Toynbee (Historian), Joseph Needham (Sinologist), Steve Jobs, Oscar Wilde, Groucho Marx, Augustus De Morgan (Logician), Arthur C.
Maddie O'Hara
Sep 16, 2012 Maddie O'Hara rated it it was amazing
I’m almost finished reading it and while I really can’t speak to the philosophical discussions in the book, I admit without shame that I’ve been like totally captivated by its prose and poetry. Let me use the author's own words to describe my feeling about the book (the fact that the form swayed me more than the content):

The mellow legend of the lotus land indeed does ‘rouse
Passion of such power as would bewilder Descartes
Deny not that word that’s brandished to the brow e’er bows
To the weake
Aggie P
Sep 09, 2012 Aggie P rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Thinkers, poets, writers
Recommended to Aggie by: A friend
Here’s the skinny on this book. How do I assess it? On the one hand the matter in the book is clearly stimulating, original and all that in places. But it can easily be condensed into a book half its size. If you’re reading it for the content, I’d say you may be annoyed by the flowery language you’ll often find decorating serious and worthy propositions.

On the other hand, if you make a complete mind-switch and look at this book as a literary piece, then suddenly her word choices seem to make pe
Betty Mackenna
Dec 28, 2012 Betty Mackenna rated it really liked it
It was a nice quick read over the xmas break. I loved the subject matter and the author's main thesis. The Buddha really was a person far ahead of his time, even ours. Thought-provoking and stimulating - Yes. But as for the poetry and literary art, my taste in these areas leans towards avant garde and so I was slightly put off by her poems. They're not post-modern (she tries deliberately to give them a Victorian flavour), but they're not truly Victorian either (the metre often stumbles, no matte ...more
Jun 06, 2013 Artsy rated it really liked it
I see this book mainly as a work of art from the way the author seems to relish her words and sentences. So early on, I made up my mind that like all art, I will have to "allow myself" to enjoy the book first, and that I'll have to give the artist some rope. I suggest that you let the bits that light you up resonate and stir up your emotions. And they probably will.

There is certainly a good chance that you might either "get it" or "not" with some of her subject matter. As for me, I'm glad to say
Nov 27, 2012 Vas rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: poetry lovers
Recommended to Vas by: Goodreads and Google
At a time when free verse reigns supreme and the traditionally minded poet shudders at the very thought of putting pen to paper in the public eye, this book is a welcome reversal of the trend with its balanced presentation of form and content.

I do love the epic summary poem in ballad metre, Baker's song with its elegiac mood and sober style and the many pretty snippets that pepper the pages of this nice little book.

Original, elegant and inspiring. Highly recommend for those yearning for lyrical
Matt Jenkins
Sep 05, 2012 Matt Jenkins rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: intellectuals
Recommended to Matt by: Google search
Shelves: recommended
Mind-bending parallels from incredibly diverse sources: John Lennon, Harry Potter, Steve Jobs, Shakespeare, Indian Mythology, Alexander the Great, Heisenberg (Qantum physicist), Richard Dawkins (God Delusion), and more. After a while you start hunting for these passages with thirst. Excellent book. And oh, the poetry ain’t half bad either.
Debrah A
Apr 03, 2013 Debrah A rated it really liked it
Nice book, I enjoyed it (read the eBook and the print version alternately).

I promise to write a longer review later this month.
Ishiro Suzuki
Aug 27, 2012 Ishiro Suzuki rated it really liked it
Shelves: keeper
I reviewed the print version of this book under the title "I am not a Buddhist". You can also find my review on Google Play.
Sep 26, 2012 Ester rated it liked it
For the philosophically open-minded thinker. Thank you for the recommendation, Liz.
Ashok Modi
Ashok Modi marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Julia marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Bhavesh Mehta
Bhavesh Mehta marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Anirudh marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Akhil marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Aditya Patankar
Aditya Patankar marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Ruujee marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Dahjuanna Jones
Dahjuanna Jones marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Fiorella Pesce
Fiorella Pesce marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Souradeep Ghosh
Souradeep Ghosh marked it as to-read
May 12, 2013
Samuel Snoek-Brown
Samuel Snoek-Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
John marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Grete von Housen
Grete von Housen rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2012
Lieutenant rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2012