Start by marking “Dragon Ball Z 'It's Over 9,000!' When Worldviews Collide” as Want to Read:
Dragon Ball Z 'It's Over 9,000!' When Worldviews Collide

Read Book

Dragon Ball Z 'It's Over 9,000!' When Worldviews Collide

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Akira Toriyama’s Dragon Ball is the world’s most recognized anime and manga series, having entertained millions of fans across the globe. The legendary rivalry of the last two full blooded Saiya-jins, Goku and Vegeta, is the iconic example of a lifelong conflict that inspires fans to burst through their own personal limits.

With a foreword by Ryo Horikawa, the Japanese voic
Published August 26th 2012 by Derek Padula

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Ball Z 'It's Over 9,000!' When Worldviews Collide

Koffi St.cyr
Dec 12, 2012 Koffi St.cyr rated it it was amazing
I have so many notes to take and I already know that I'm going to be rereading this. In one book he was able to completely philosophically and psychologically validate why I spent countless hours of the formative parts of my childhood fighting over the control of the tv with my big sister and making sure that my homework was done so that I could completely and absolutely engross myself in this cartoon without any sort of interruption. To see something that you feel you know inside and out broken ...more
Melody
May 30, 2013 Melody rated it really liked it
Somehow this guy took one scene from an incorrect DBZ dub and turned it into a book that didn't suck. Some parts were pretty redundant and other parts were over-analyzed (this coming from someone who over-analyzes everything in DBZ), but I kept on reading. I kept reading because he gets into a lot of things like spirituality and nature vs nurture that you don't even spend 5 minutes thinking about when you're watching the show or reading the mangas. He looks at Dragon Ball Z from a lot of differe ...more
Kurami Rocket
Jan 05, 2016 Kurami Rocket rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
This book is a MUST read for all dragon ball z fans. The author does an incredible job in showing the physiological and psychological depth this anime/manga have!! The author also does an amazing job in showing the great complexity its two main characters - Goku and Vegeta have! They are NOT simple characters like many beleive!! That's why it's very interesting seeing how Goku and Vegeta's upbring and childhood were both different, and how that impacted their own physical and personal growth.

Hig
David
Sep 21, 2012 David marked it as to-read
This is the most factual and well written book on this subject that has ever been published. The level of insight, knowledge and proven research is tremendous. I suspect that you might sense a modest bias in my opinion, but once you begin to read this book, you'll quickly realize that the author is an expert on the subject of DBZ and many, many topics in the supportive fields of religion, philosophy and other related areas of knowledge.
Having read it once in August, I'm now reading it again,
Lionkhan-sama
Aug 11, 2014 Lionkhan-sama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lionkhan-sama by: Nathan 'Skippy' Smith
An unexpected book, in many degrees.
It stimulates incredibly complex and innate questions within ones self and soul.
For these reasons, I found this book to be surprisingly beneficial.

A fantastic read for any fan of the Dragonball series, but especially useful for those who are open-minded and searching for ways leading to personal improvement and development.
Darin Padula
Sep 30, 2012 Darin Padula rated it it was amazing
I never realized the depth to which DBZ could go, on a psychological and metaphysical level. This book helped open up my eyes and it will for you, too. It's a quick but engrossing read, and you can't beat the price! Do yourself a favor, and learn a bit about yourself while you learn about DBZ in a way that you never imagined.
Angela Mondragon
Sep 10, 2012 Angela Mondragon rated it really liked it
Just finished reading this, and a few small grammatical errors aside, it was a great insight into the mindsets of Goku and Vegeta, and how they compare and contrast, as well as what message the DBZ phenomenon has sent to the youth who have grown up with it. A definite must-read for anyone who is a fan of the series!
Summer Seeds
Dec 28, 2015 Summer Seeds rated it it was amazing
A must read for any Dragon Ball fan!

Honestly, I bought this as a joke, but it was actually really good. Padula goes in depth and offers a whole new way to view not just "It's Over 9000!!!" but the entirety of the DBZ universe.
Nenna
Aug 12, 2013 Nenna rated it really liked it
What a great little insight on the perspectives of these two. I especially enjoyed the nature/nurture aspects, though barely touched upon. Definitely buying Dao of Dragon Ball.
Connor
Jun 08, 2015 Connor rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this quite a bit. No big surprise that I'm a Dragon Ball Z fan reading a book that takes a look at deeper meanings withing it, but there you go. It was so thought provoking and interesting to go through. Making parallels and assumptions that I'd never thought of in the many times I've gone through the series. Honestly, it made me want to delve deeper and see what else the author had to say about DBZ as a whole, and made me want to rewatch the series again! I would definitely recommend ...more
John
Oct 03, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!

It's power lever is OVER 9000!
Casey
I thought the book was very insightful. The author made you think about things especially about Vegeta (who is clearly his favorite character ) specifically about how he was able to become SSJ that was completely different from Goku's path. There are some errors in the book that I noticed e.g. calling grandpa Gohan Goku's adopted father and the worst offense saying GT was cannon. The one thing I did find annoying and is why I gave the book a lower star rating was that the author had a section de ...more
Cheryl Hall
Jan 29, 2014 Cheryl Hall rated it liked it
A trip down memory lane of one of my favourite shows from my teenage years.
Nisa' Ali
Jan 19, 2014 Nisa' Ali rated it really liked it
I already had some points in mind when reading this, some are completely new thoughts, so it's a good read overall, can't wait the complete book of the dao of dragonball.
Zion
Feb 04, 2016 Zion rated it really liked it
i like it
Kelton Barnsley
Kelton Barnsley rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Kevin Justin
Kevin Justin marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Wesley
Wesley marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Andrew Wang
Andrew Wang marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Ross Chisholm
Ross Chisholm marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Yaqub09
Yaqub09 marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Vishu
Vishu marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
jorge ochoa
jorge ochoa marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Parijat Mitra
Parijat Mitra is currently reading it
Nov 07, 2015
Joe Lawry
Joe Lawry marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Dada
Dada marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Roger
Roger marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Michael Curtis
Michael Curtis marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Derek Padula is the author of The Dao of Dragon Ball website and book series; the first to reveal the deep history, philosophy, and cultural roots of the world's #1 anime and manga.

Derek's journey begins when he sees the Dragon Ball anime in 1997. His love for the series inspires him to start martial arts training in Shàolín gōngfu, tàijí-quán, qìgōng, karate, and Fǎlún Dàfǎ meditation. He earns h
More about Derek Padula...