Start by marking “You Are Not Forgotten: The Story of a Lost World War II Pilot and a Twenty-First-Century Soldier's Mission to Bring Him Home” as Want to Read:

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  19 reviews
An inspiring and epic tale of loss and redemption about two American servicemen: a Marine Corps pilot who was shot down in WWII and the modern-day soldier determined to bring home his remains six decades later

Major George Eyster V comes from a long line of military officers, dating back to the Revolutionary War. Army service was George's family legacy, but his tour of dut
Published October 29th 2013 by Doubleday (first published May 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about You Are Not Forgotten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are Not Forgotten

Cheryl
I am a fan of military related stories, especially the aviation ones. What is so great about these books is the human aspect of the stories. I really get to know the people and their lives. Also, I share a bond with my dad over these books. It gives us something to talk about in regards to the book world. My dad's father was a Marine. Plus, I love the sky and flying.

Mr. Bender really give the reader the meat and potatoes of Major George Eyster V and Captain Ryan McCown, their lives, who they ar
Steve
Author and Boston Globe reporter Bryan Bender’s subtitle here says it all. This is “the story of a lost World War II pilot and a twenty-first century soldier’s mission to bring him home.” That pretty much tells you all you need to know about “You Are Not Forgotten.” A national security writer for the Globe, Bender employs extensive research and countless interviews to bring the lives of Marion Ryan McCown, Jr. and George S. Eyster V together in this documentary. Bender paints this tutorial on th ...more
Brinn Colenda
Bryan Bender's "You are Not Forgotten" is a surprisingly good work. He has taken two real-life military members, one a WW II Marine fighter pilot--an MIA for over sixty years--, the other a serving Army officer to illustrate combat conditions in two very different wars (WW II and Iraq). The life threads of these two men are intertwined throughout the book and used to illustrate and explain the lengths the US military is going to research, locate, and bring home our fallen warriors.

Reading the b
Alissa
Disclosure: I know the author and probably would not have picked up this book otherwise. That said, it is a really good book and I would recommend it, even to people who, like me, don't usually read about military related subjects.

You Are Not Forgotten reads as two separate books. The first half provides detailed insight into the lives of those who serve for our country through one man serving in WWIi (McCown) and another serving in the post 9/11 wars (Eyster). Chapters alternate between McCown
Betty Montgomery
Brian Bender, in his well-crafted book You Are Not Forgotten, tells the story of two American warriors born more than half a century apart, and the sacrifices of both men and their families as they heed the call to war. Although this is a true story about soldiers, this book offers more than a story about men in the military. These are personal stories about family, falling in love, brotherhood, and tremendous courage. The themes in this book are ones that anyone can relate to.

The book focuses
Mythili
Boston Globe national security reporter Bryan Bender takes readers through multiple generations of military history in this proud story about honoring the country’s defenders. You Are Not Forgotten traces the lives of two remarkable American soldiers, Captain Marion Ryan McCowan, Jr., and Major George Sensey Eyster V. McCowan, a genteel Charleston native, was serving as a World War II pilot in the South Pacific when he went missing over Rabaul, Papua New Guinea in January 1944. Eyster, the desce ...more
Patty
The Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC) is a U.S. military division devoted to bringing fallen soldiers home from wars abroad. I was so moved by this story in part because the author dug deeply into the lives of the real men this is about so I got a sense of "knowing" them. This line from the book explains the other part: "His uncle Ryan also managed to accomplish one last mission, bestowing a final gift from the grave. He reunited the McCown clan."

Amy
I wanted to like this book, I really did. I think I was "hoping" that the story would be more about JPAC and less about the lives of McCown and Eyster. Not that those stories weren't/aren't interesting, but at about page 95 I had to give up. I would have probably finished if there had been more about Eyster's tour of duty at JPAC.

I wish I could have finished this book....
Emily Morris
Admittedly, I read this book because my imagination and heart overflowed with the idea of fallen soldiers with fates long abandoned and the military effort to bring them home. But what I did not expect to enjoy as much as the solidly presented story of just how this was done and what being part of this mission was like.

In many ways, the book reads almost like a novel, flashing between the lives of two men with respectable writing and description--a bit more accessible than more fact-focused expo
John Dorcey
I liked the story and Bender's storytelling is superb however the blending of the two primary stories did little for the book's overall readability. In truth, I found this concurrent storyline or blending of the stories to be distracting. Similarly, I found the late addition of several other MIA's not adding to the story.
Edward
Well-written book. What I found most interesting about the story was the description of the Corsair, which I hadn't read in any depth before, and the work of J-PAC. I'd heard of the organization before, but had little idea of what the actual conditions of searches and recovery are. I think I need to research J-PAC some more, but this was a great inside introduction.
SkipO
Fair book, way too much about G Eyster
Janine Graham
This is well worth the read
Susan
Not thrilled with how the story was told; back and forth in time made me a little crazy. BUT I could not put this down! Great topic and really enjoyed it!
Will
This book will go on my shelves next to Lone Survivor and Unbroken! Ironically I finished this book on Pearl Harbor Day. This story is a great reminder of the sacrifices that the WWII generation made for this country; and the importance to never forget that sacrifice.

Awesome story with an incredible ending. I wish I could rate it higher than 5 stars!
Kbarr77
President Calvin Coolidge: "A nation that forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." This pretty much sums up this book.
Stephen
A great story that gives insight into the sacrifice and compassion exemplified by generations of soldiers, sailors, marines, airmen and others, and how these scarce traits bring together families, friends and communities.
Debra
What a surprising and wonderful story! reads like a novel, not like a history book, which I loved. It's amazing what a full picture of the lost pilots was able to be told!
Kelly
Bender's book is a fantastic, heartbreaking yet triumphant story that will appeal to the patriot in all of us.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Cathryne Whitten
Cathryne Whitten is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Joseph Kauffman
Joseph Kauffman marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Kim
Kim is currently reading it
Nov 22, 2014
Sam
Sam is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2014