Start by marking “Going for Gold: M/M Olympic Anthology” as Want to Read:
Going for Gold: M/M Olympic Anthology

Going for Gold: M/M Olympic Anthology

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  16 reviews
It's not hard to see the outward appeal of the Olympic Games: watching the fittest and most-accomplished athletes in the world compete—generally with fairly skimpy uniforms. Voyeurism aside, there's nothing sexier than a beautiful body running, jumping, swimming, rowing, and a couple dozen other activities. Who wouldn't take the chance to enjoy the spectacle?

But the Olympi
Published August 31st 2012 by MLR Press (first published August 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Going for Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going for Gold

Hell Cop by Astrid AmaraSindustry by Anne ReganIrregulars by Nicole KimberlingLove Ahead by Madeleine UrbanMen Under the Mistletoe by Josh Lanyon
Best Gay Anthologies
15th out of 204 books — 182 voters
Power Play by J.M. SnyderHot Off the Presses by Elliott MackleCold War by Keira AndrewsHappy Endings by Deanna WadsworthTraining Season by Leta Blake
Olympic MM Books
6th out of 6 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Kaje Harper
Sep 04, 2012 Kaje Harper added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: m-m, short-story
This anthology is the first I've participated in. And when it released last Friday I realized something I hadn't taken into account. Suddenly I was nervous not just about my own story, ("Please, let some readers really like it...") but also about a group of other stories over which I had no control at all. ("Pretty please, let the whole collection be worth the purchase!!")

I got my copy Saturday, and I didn't read it right away. I had very good reasons... okay, I wimped out. But last night I fina
Natalie
3.5 stars. I've been going through Olympics withdrawal (no more pretty boys in Speedos on my TV, *pout*), so this anthology comes along at the perfect time. There is a wide variety of sports represented here, and the writing ranges from OK to great. By far, my favorite story was Annabeth Albert's "Swimming the Distance," about a closeted athlete struggling to hold on to the man he loves. It's sweet and touching and hot (three words: full body shaving). It looks like this is a brand-new author, a ...more
FlibBityFLooB
3.5/5 stars for overall anthology. A mixed bag for me, but definitely not a bad anthology of stories focusing on the olympics.

I would probably break down the stories into three groups.

My favorites:
Hot Shots by Michael P. Thomas
Swimming the Distance by Annabeth Albert
For these, I felt like they really made the characters interesting and worthy of a much longer story. i liked the angst involved in the relationships, especially with the authors able to make me dislike some of the characters behavi
Crissy Morris

Originally reviewed for Joyfully Jay

I have a thing for athletes – chiseled physiques, intense focus, sweaty and glistening. And Olympic athletes? Well, they take that to a whole different level. So it should be no surprise that I jumped at the chance to read about beautiful Olympians and the men that they are in a relationship with. Because a man at the top of his game athletically is sure to be at the top of his game in other aspects of his life, right?

This anthology is comprised of ei
Marge
The best thing about this anthology is that the stories are all LONG, most of them novellas actually, so we get to know the characters and like them enough to feel their pain and joy. I also liked that the stories most often were about how our characters were working their way to the Olympics, and the obstacles they had to overcome to get there. Don't worry, there's plenty of competition and heartbreak in all the stories, and not all of it in their love lives.
Pamela Su
As is common with most anthologies, my enjoyment of the stories vary.

Hot Shots by Michael P. Thomas - Amusing story. There's a lightheartedness to this that captured my fancy.

Into the Deep by Nico Jaye - Loved this story. There's a real chemistry between John (J.D.) and Blake which sizzles on page. Very nicely developed story.

The Quad by Kelly Rand - I liked the story. The relationship seems to develop a bit fast, but it was still enjoyable to read.

Lightning in a Bottle by Sarah Madison - This
Cassandra Carr
Personally, I love stories about athletes who are gay. We all know in today's society it's not always accepted to be gay and yet good at sports, and that these guys have particular challenges in keeping their personal lives private. Add to that the pressure from being an elite athlete expected to perform at the highest levels and you've got an explosive situation. The anthology has a good range of different Olympic sports, ages, etc displayed. If you're looking for an excellent read, try out thi ...more
Jerry
I thought every story was either very good or great. Many brought tears to my eyes. Loved the intensity. Nice group of authors.
Marlobo
Overall: 2.5 Stars

Hot Shots by Michael P. Thomas - 1.5 stars

Shoot for the Gold by Whitley Gray - 3 stars

An Olympic Goal by K-lee Klein -2.5 stars

Tumbling Dreams by Kaje Harper - 3.5 stars
Julia
My favorites in here were Hot Shots, Into the Deep, Swimming the Distance, and Tumbling Dreams, easy five star reads. The thing that makes this anthology great, though, is that all the stories were wonderful. I look forward to reading more from all the authors involved in this project.
jules0623
The highlights:

The Quad by Kelly Rand
Lightning in a Bottle by Sarah Madison
Swimming the Distance by Annabeth Albert
Tumbling Dreams by Kaje Harper

Tamela
Enjoyed most of the stories. I do like anthologies. And add in sports hotties and the Olympics!!!
Saphirablue
SueM
Just a warning, anthologies really don't do much for me (and if it hadn't been for Bingo Challenge, I probably wouldn't have chosen to read this), so I am biased negatively towards the stories. That said, let's continue...

Hmm, this set of stories were rather a mixed bag - some didn't do anything for me, while a few shone like the gold in the title.

Going with the positives first, the final story, Tumbling Dreams, by Kaje Harper, was definitely worth waiting for. With her usual polished style with
Suze
Easily a 4.5* read.
If you like anthologies, you'll like this one - all Tied to the Olympics, but not all based in the hallowed Olympic arena - some end before the events, others are in the winter games and most feature the London 2012 games.
Usually in anthologies there are the great, the ok and the urgh - but in this set I found that all were good and some were really great.
It would be a great lunch time series as I did find Olympic overload set in reading them back to back but I'll definitely
Sandra
October 2012 group read for M/M Romance Group
Kathleen
Oct 31, 2012 Kathleen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathleen by: Katie
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Liz (Bugetta)
Liz (Bugetta) marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Ramsi
Ramsi marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
JC
JC marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Kej13
Kej13 marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Yunus
Yunus marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Migi
Migi marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Need to link author profile to book 4 186 Nov 25, 2012 04:20PM
  • Animal Magnetism
  • Hunting Under Covers
  • Ravages
  • Crack the Darkest Sky Wide Open
  • I Do: An Anthology in Support of Marriage Equality
EM Lynley writes gay erotic romance. She loves books where the hero gets the guy and the loving is 11 on a scale of 10. Her Precious Gems series is best described as “Indiana Jones meets Romancing the Stone”—only gayer. The Delectable series is Gay Romance with Taste.

A Rainbow Award winner and EPPIE finalist, EM has worked in high finance, high tech, and in the wine industry, though she'd rather
More about E.M. Lynley...
Sex, Lies & Wedding Bells Lighting the Way Home (Delectable, #2) Brand New Flavor (Delectable, #1) Hostile Takeover Gingerbread Palace (Delectable #4)