Start by marking “Going for Gold: M/M Olympic Anthology” as Want to Read:
Going for Gold: M/M Olympic Anthology

Going for Gold: M/M Olympic Anthology

It's not hard to see the outward appeal of the Olympic Games: watching the fittest and most-accomplished athletes in the world compete—generally with fairly skimpy uniforms. Voyeurism aside, there's nothing sexier than a beautiful body running, jumping, swimming, rowing, and a couple dozen other activities. Who wouldn't take the chance to enjoy the spectacle?

But the Olympi
Published August 31st 2012 by MLR Press (first published August 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Going for Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going for Gold

Hell Cop by Astrid AmaraIrregulars by Nicole KimberlingLove Ahead by Madeleine UrbanSindustry by Anne ReganHis For The Holidays by Angela James
Best Gay Anthologies
17th out of 293 books — 217 voters
Cold War by Keira AndrewsPower Play by J.M. SnyderSynchronicity by Keira AndrewsHot Off the Presses by Elliott MackleVaulted by E.E. Grey
Olympic MM Books
9th out of 9 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Kaje Harper
Sep 04, 2012 Kaje Harper added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: m-m, short-story
This anthology is the first I've participated in. And when it released last Friday I realized something I hadn't taken into account. Suddenly I was nervous not just about my own story, ("Please, let some readers really like it...") but also about a group of other stories over which I had no control at all. ("Pretty please, let the whole collection be worth the purchase!!")

I got my copy Saturday, and I didn't read it right away. I had very good reasons... okay, I wimped out. But last night I fina
Sep 01, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: athletes, anthology
3.5 stars. I've been going through Olympics withdrawal (no more pretty boys in Speedos on my TV, *pout*), so this anthology comes along at the perfect time. There is a wide variety of sports represented here, and the writing ranges from OK to great. By far, my favorite story was Annabeth Albert's "Swimming the Distance," about a closeted athlete struggling to hold on to the man he loves. It's sweet and touching and hot (three words: full body shaving). It looks like this is a brand-new author, a ...more
3.5/5 stars for overall anthology. A mixed bag for me, but definitely not a bad anthology of stories focusing on the olympics.

I would probably break down the stories into three groups.

My favorites:
Hot Shots by Michael P. Thomas
Swimming the Distance by Annabeth Albert
For these, I felt like they really made the characters interesting and worthy of a much longer story. i liked the angst involved in the relationships, especially with the authors able to make me dislike some of the characters behavi
Crissy Morris
Mar 03, 2013 Crissy Morris rated it it was amazing

Originally reviewed for Joyfully Jay

I have a thing for athletes – chiseled physiques, intense focus, sweaty and glistening. And Olympic athletes? Well, they take that to a whole different level. So it should be no surprise that I jumped at the chance to read about beautiful Olympians and the men that they are in a relationship with. Because a man at the top of his game athletically is sure to be at the top of his game in other aspects of his life, right?

This anthology is comprised of ei
Sep 08, 2012 Marge rated it really liked it
The best thing about this anthology is that the stories are all LONG, most of them novellas actually, so we get to know the characters and like them enough to feel their pain and joy. I also liked that the stories most often were about how our characters were working their way to the Olympics, and the obstacles they had to overcome to get there. Don't worry, there's plenty of competition and heartbreak in all the stories, and not all of it in their love lives.
Pamela Su
As is common with most anthologies, my enjoyment of the stories vary.

Hot Shots by Michael P. Thomas - Amusing story. There's a lightheartedness to this that captured my fancy.

Into the Deep by Nico Jaye - Loved this story. There's a real chemistry between John (J.D.) and Blake which sizzles on page. Very nicely developed story.

The Quad by Kelly Rand - I liked the story. The relationship seems to develop a bit fast, but it was still enjoyable to read.

Lightning in a Bottle by Sarah Madison - This
Cassandra Carr
Sep 13, 2012 Cassandra Carr rated it it was amazing
Personally, I love stories about athletes who are gay. We all know in today's society it's not always accepted to be gay and yet good at sports, and that these guys have particular challenges in keeping their personal lives private. Add to that the pressure from being an elite athlete expected to perform at the highest levels and you've got an explosive situation. The anthology has a good range of different Olympic sports, ages, etc displayed. If you're looking for an excellent read, try out thi ...more
I thought every story was either very good or great. Many brought tears to my eyes. Loved the intensity. Nice group of authors.
Oct 21, 2014 Marlobo rated it liked it
Overall: 2.5 Stars

Hot Shots by Michael P. Thomas - 1.5 stars

An Olympic Goal by K-lee Klein -2.5 stars

Tumbling Dreams by Kaje Harper - 3.5 stars
Sep 11, 2012 Julia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, sports, gfy
My favorites in here were Hot Shots, Into the Deep, Swimming the Distance, and Tumbling Dreams, easy five star reads. The thing that makes this anthology great, though, is that all the stories were wonderful. I look forward to reading more from all the authors involved in this project.
Shelley Chastagner
Aug 05, 2016 Shelley Chastagner rated it really liked it
I'll add reviews as I go:
Swimming the Distance by Annabeth Albert 4 stars
Loved this one! The relationship between Kyle and Bohdan is strained. Bohdan is afraid to be out. He's obviously a reserved person that forces himself to interact outside his comfort Zone. He doesn't want to be in the lime light, at all. Unfortunately he's hurt his long time boyfriend by pretending he's straight. He keeps on inflicting one wound after another until he wonders if their relationship will survive. I liked that
May 20, 2013 jules0623 rated it really liked it
The highlights:

The Quad by Kelly Rand
Lightning in a Bottle by Sarah Madison
Tumbling Dreams by Kaje Harper

Only read "Swimming the Distance" by Annabeth Albert and received it as a freeby for subscribing the newsletter

What a great short story (or was it a novella? :))
Really fitting due to the Olympia topics and thus put in the NL.

The struggle being gay and a sportsman is the great topic; sometimes I wanted to slap Bohdan because of his stupid reasonst...
Kyle had captured my heart right away...
I don't want to say too much about the story because I would take the suspense. :)

5 out of 5 stars. A gre
Enjoyed most of the stories. I do like anthologies. And add in sports hotties and the Olympics!!!
Liz (Bugetta)
I figured this was the perfect time to finally read this! I will Review as I go:

Hot Shots by Michael P. Thomas - not sure about this one. I've tried reading a couple times and the narrator bugs me. I'm not giving up yet...

Into the Deep by Nico Jaye - Smuffy goodness. 4*

The Quad by Kelly Rand - This was really good. The only winter games story. I loved the atmosphere of the story and the MCs. I wanted more! Maybe a follow up at the 2018 Olympics? :) 4*

Lightning in a Bottle by Sarah Madison - I th
Just a warning, anthologies really don't do much for me (and if it hadn't been for Bingo Challenge, I probably wouldn't have chosen to read this), so I am biased negatively towards the stories. That said, let's continue...

Hmm, this set of stories were rather a mixed bag - some didn't do anything for me, while a few shone like the gold in the title.

Going with the positives first, the final story, Tumbling Dreams, by Kaje Harper, was definitely worth waiting for. With her usual polished style with
Bergur Arnar
Aug 10, 2016 Bergur Arnar marked it as to-read
Shoot for the Gold by Whitley Gray
It was very cute. The ending was really abrupt though - like the author just wanted to get it over with.
The characters were sweet, but I didn't really feel any depth.

An Olympic Goal by K-lee Klein
I loved it! The characters were perfect and their relationship was very loving. The only thing that was missing, was their coming-out. I would really have liked that.
Dec 14, 2015 Juxian rated it liked it
Shelves: sport, kaje-harper
Why do people insist on using Russian words without doing even tiniest research? That's just a couple of words, how difficult is it not to butcher them? Anyway, it killed Annabeth Albert's story for me but at least there was something to kill. I actually got the book for Kaje Harper's story, and I loved it the best. Also, Sarah Madison's one was good. The rest didn't work for me.
May 06, 2016 Suze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereads
Easily a 4.5* read.
If you like anthologies, you'll like this one - all Tied to the Olympics, but not all based in the hallowed Olympic arena - some end before the events, others are in the winter games and most feature the London 2012 games.
Usually in anthologies there are the great, the ok and the urgh - but in this set I found that all were good and some were really great.
It would be a great lunch time series as I did find Olympic overload set in reading them back to back but I'll definitely
Richárd Delacasse
Jun 12, 2016 Richárd Delacasse rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, 2-pov, sweet, short, sport
October 2012 group read for M/M Romance Group
Oct 31, 2012 Kathleen rated it liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: Katie
Barbara marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Luke78 rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Erryn Barratt
Erryn Barratt marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
D. marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong pen name in search for Going For Gold 3 14 Jan 06, 2016 03:47PM
Goodreads Librari...: Need to link author profile to book 4 188 Nov 25, 2012 08:20AM
  • Cross Bones
  • Ravages
  • Secrets of Neverwood
  • The Unforgiving Minute
  • All Wrapped Up
EM Lynley writes gay erotic romance. She loves books where the hero gets the guy and the loving is 11 on a scale of 10. Her Precious Gems series is best described as “Indiana Jones meets Romancing the Stone”—only gayer. The Delectable series is Gay Romance with Taste.

A Rainbow Award winner and EPPIE finalist, EM has worked in high finance, high tech, and in the wine industry, though she'd rather
More about E.M. Lynley...