Start by marking “The Dollmaker” as Want to Read:
The Dollmaker

The Dollmaker

4.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Gothic Horror

Tags: Golems, alchemy, voyeurism, Frankensteinish, identity loss, monster identity – man or monster, dark art creation

Stephen Monaghan is a brilliant chemist and gifted sculptor. Unable to love a human woman, he uses his genius and arcane science to create a living woman out of wood. Just one can’t fill his bottomless need, so he creates more and more of these
Published August 28th 2012 by https://museituppublishing.com/bookstore2/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&pr

To ask other readers questions about The Dollmaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dollmaker

James
Dec 29, 2012 James rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to make of this book initially. All I had heard was it was about a guy who made some life-sized dolls he had a disturbing relationship with. Having read it, I can affirm it is definitely a disturbing story about some life-size dolls. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and tell you that if you don't have a relatively strong stomach for disturbing concepts and gore, you probably won't make it past the first 10 pages. Although, if that's the case, I'm not sure why you would c ...more
Karen M
Dec 30, 2014 Karen M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, horror
“She would not live. Then again, none of them would, not without whatever he had found in the corners of reality.” – The Dollmaker

It started with a poster hung on the wall of his sister’s bedroom and slowly over the years became an obsession that he had to fulfill. He had a need to create a replacement, an image to which he was capable of connecting. Stephen was a genius and would use his genius to create a substitute for what he desired but could not bear to have in his life or his bed. As each
John Taff
Aug 19, 2013 John Taff rated it it was amazing
Justin Robinson's The Dollmaker is terrific. Period. Extremely original, discomfitting in its gore and blood, but with a strangely sad and poignant heart. I'm going to do it injustice here trying to describe it, but it's sort of like Frankenstein, the Greek myth of Pygmalion (not the musical) and Disney's The Sorcerer's Apprentice (the classic cartoon, not the horrid Nick Cage movie) came together in Robinson's mind (they probably didn't mind you, I'm just trying to describe it). The story is, b ...more
Penny
Sep 06, 2015 Penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An homage to Frankenstein crossed with an erotic nightmare, shot through with shades of Philip K. Dick's eternal question: what does it mean to not be human? This is a dark, disturbing story about love, desire, repression, and the line between fantasy and reality. It is a gripping read with surprising depth, and one of the most creative horror stories I have ever encountered.
Leila
Sep 04, 2012 Leila rated it it was amazing
This is honestly one of the most disturbing books I've ever read. That said, as soon as I started it, I couldn't put it down. I was fortunate enough to read the book during its draft stage, and I finished it the day I started it.

The story isn't a happy one. The good things that happen are really more like not-totally-horrible things happening. Don't let that scare you away! The story is engrossing and the characters are, for the most part, deeply flawed and realistic. This is not a book for the
Mana Taylor-Hall
Feb 15, 2013 Mana Taylor-Hall rated it it was amazing
Dollmaker was, is, unique for me. Book are normally something to be absorbed, for the story to wash over and to be carried along with it. Only after I'm done do I find which images stick with me and define the story. That was not the case with Robinson's Dollmaker. The images, the scenes he created would linger, forcing me to revisit them before I could move on to the rest of the story.

It is a horror that creeps under your own skin and forces you to feel it. Which, with the dark places Dollmaker
Ashley
Feb 05, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, a horror book that actually horrifies!

The first ten pages tested my wanting to read this book, but once I got past that, it had its fangs in me. Whilst the subject matter is disturbing and the book sometimes gets pretty graphic, you can't help but want to know what happens on the next page. I started the book earlier today and it kept me so engaged that I stayed up into the early AM hours to both finish it and write this review.

This is a book that I HIGHLY recommend to any true horror
J. Ringo
Jan 14, 2013 J. Ringo rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to lie to you - this book's pretty dark. But if you like real horror (mixed with some philosophical questions about reality and humanity), you're going to love this book. It might keep you up at night, but it's certainly not an experience you're going to easily forget. Nor will you want to forget it, as it's not only haunting, but also strangely poignant and affecting. Robinson's created a truly original story. Do yourself a favor and read it now.
Scott
Mar 21, 2013 Scott rated it it was amazing
Not since Micheal Slade's Headhunter and Ghoul have I read something as enjoyably disturbing as Dollmaker. Those who know Robinson only for his humorous slant on conspiracies in his novel Mr. Blank are in for a surprise when they dive into his latest outing. In Dollmaker, Robinson grabs us by the hand and drags us into the darkest corners of urban fantasy, laughing maniacally at our horrified reactions to what he's left there for us to experience.
Ash
Mar 28, 2014 Ash rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved it!

I absolutely loved The Dollmaker. It was disturbing, creepy, but most of all, a work of art. There were many parts which were hard to read just because they were SO depraved... and yet I was unable to look away.
The book is slightly choppy at the beginning, but after awhile it is easy to pick up the author's flow.
read this book. :)
Gatheringfrost
Gatheringfrost marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Coyora Dokusho
Coyora Dokusho marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Rodrigo Aguilar
Rodrigo Aguilar marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Jerry Howard
Jerry Howard rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Emily
Emily is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2016
Dynamite025
Dynamite025 marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Keshia
Keshia marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Nathan Pilgrim
Nathan Pilgrim marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Hazel
Hazel marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Øyvind Holen
Øyvind Holen marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Anjon
Anjon rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Celeste
Celeste marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Anthony
Anthony is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2016
Aimee Went
Aimee Went marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Ophelia
Ophelia marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Olivia LoMonaco
Olivia LoMonaco marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
  • Goops and How to Be Them: A Manual of Manners for Polite Infants Inculcating Many Juvenile Virtues
  • Nightmare Seasons
  • The Lucid Dreaming
  • Dark Passages
  • Horror for Good: A Charitable Anthology
  • Thirty Miles South Of Dry County
  • The Horror Movie Society
  • Midnight Rain
  • The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft: 102 Horror Short Stories, Novels, Juvenelia, Collaborations and Ghost Writings
  • The Lucky Penny & Other Stories
  • Turn Down the Lights
  • Somewhere West of Roads
  • Nightcrawlers
  • Over Our Dead Bodies:: Undertakers Lift the Lid
  • The Missing Boatman
  • A List of Offences
  • Dead Stock (Bert Shambles Mystery #1)
  • Everything You Need
Much like film noir, Justin Robinson was born and raised in Los Angeles. He splits his time between editing comic books, writing prose and wondering what that disgusting smell is. Degrees in Anthropology and History prepared him for unemployment, but an obsession with horror fiction and a laundry list of phobias provided a more attractive option.
More about Justin Robinson...