Start by marking “The Glass Girls (Missing in Action, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Glass Girls (Missing in Action, #1)

The Glass Girls (Missing in Action #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  299 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Michael Huntington suspects he has living relatives in Europe after discovering a children's story published by a German author, the same story Michael heard growing up. He sets off to meet the author in hopes of connecting with long lost family, but soon after arriving in Germany, Michael finds a closer connection, a connection to a father he never met, a father who went ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 194 pages
Published July 29th 2012 by Eric Scott Johnston

To ask other readers questions about The Glass Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glass Girls

Denise
May 10, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing
Gave this 5 stars despite a few (not many) typos that a good editor would eliminate right away, because the characters in the past and present and the intermingled storyline from the past and present are so strong. A really moving and well-told story.
Yvonne
May 15, 2014 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
I read too much. I fall asleep with my book in my hand and find it under the covers when I wake! I chose this book to read simply because it came up on BookBub and was free. What a delightful surprise to find such an excellent story and an author worth following!

A beautifully written story told in different voices, different perspectives and different times. I would recommend this book and writer to anyone interested in reading human interest, Vietnam era, or taking the big steps that lead to fi
Cheryl
Mar 20, 2015 Cheryl rated it really liked it
An American, Michael, is on a train in Germany going to meet an author he doesn't know. But he's very familiar with the bestselling story she's written. It's a story no one outside family could know. He heard it as a child from his grandfather. His grandmother wrote it. She told it to his father, a Viet Nam soldier missing in action and considered a deserter by the government.

Not really believing the story has any connection to his father, he still wants to meet the woman who wrote it and find o
Sarah Jamison
The Glass Girls is a moving, heartfelt story that would be so much better served if Johnston employed an editor. I've read the first little bits of each of the five star reviews and all of them seem to be giving the stars to the concept: American soldier saves small Cambodian girls from being sold into sex slavery, dies for it. And that's a wonderful concept! But its execution is terrible. It's simply awful. The main character has a daughter named "Sara." Or is it "Sarah." That's how rotten it i ...more
Dan
Jun 29, 2014 Dan rated it liked it
Because of a story he heard as a child, Michael Huntington goes to Europe in search of possible relatives after the same story was released as a book. Instead he finds the truth about his father who died during the Vietnam War.

A relatively short novel (less than 200 pages) which need some editing, but the story was okay. The story went back and forth between what was happening in Vietnam and how Michael was dealing with what he learned. I was hoping for more character development so that I could
BL834
Oct 28, 2014 BL834 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-literature
3.5 stars, rounded down for lack of editing/proofreading, though I'm torn. Might round it up after I've had time to digest this one a while longer. This is Mr. Johnston's first book, and it shows. But you can also see where a little more work in the profession (and/or a committed editor) will polish the rough edges and allow him to produce a real gem.

The storyline itself is good. The contrasting chapters of the past and the present were nicely paced. I particularly enjoyed how the past's dreams
Dana
Nov 13, 2013 Dana rated it really liked it
deborah turner
Jul 09, 2015 deborah turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart breaking excellent story

I absolutely loved this story. As a veteran I was proud that he chose a greater mission, that of God's making. Knowing how cheap existence is, to sell a child into white slavery, but then, life is cheap here too as we leave viable living infants to die in closets because an abortion failed. Thank you for a profound story that causes people to look hopefully beyond a great read
Pattie Steib
May 18, 2014 Pattie Steib rated it liked it
This is a beautiful story, with so much potential to be a magical book. I would like to give it 5 stars, because I loved the story. Unfortunately, the book is so ridden with grammatical errors, it was difficult to read without picking up a red pen and marking up my Kindle screen. This author would be well-served by finding a good editor. The story deserves it.
Mary Kay Masquelier
May 25, 2014 Mary Kay Masquelier rated it really liked it
This is an intriguing story of an American man who travels far to find his father who had gone missing under questionable circumstances during the Vietnam War 40 years ago. Despite many editing errors, the plot was captivating and the characters most believable. The book is very touching and quite timely on this Memorial Day weekend.
Connie Herrick
May 31, 2014 Connie Herrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING

This book brought tears to my eyes. I grew up during the Vietnam war that people say was not a war. My heart is still heavy knowing that not all of the remains of our heroes have not been brought home as well as some who are still in the prisons. An amazing quick read.
Kathiepie
Well crafted story

I enjoyed reading this story, not overly complicated but with a good feeling to it. It opens up the subject of trafficking and as an enhancement could have a study/discussion guide at the end...but it doesn't. Maybe a newer release could add one.
Hariot R. Lippmann
Awesome

This.is truly o e of the most unusual.books I have ever read. It will hold you do interest and curiosity as it switches from the Vietnam war in Cambodia to.the present with the search by a son for his MIA father.
Pam
Jun 05, 2015 Pam rated it it was amazing
The Glass Girls in a fantastic novel by Eric Scott Johnston. I started to read it some time ago and just couldn't get into it. However, this time when I picked it up, it was fabulous. I would highly recommend this to everyone.
Alice Catches
Aug 26, 2014 Alice Catches rated it liked it
This was a very interesting story that came together quite nicely. However, the writing was a little poor and the grammatical errors numerous. I agree with other reviewers that he could really benefit from having a better editor.
Marsha Graham
Aug 24, 2014 Marsha Graham rated it liked it
Kindle freebie. I have a hard time with a story that jumps back and forth in time. It is really the only way this story can be told effectively, but I found it disjointed because of that. Other than that, the tale is interesting.
Deb
Aug 02, 2014 Deb rated it liked it
I liked this story a lot, although I found all the typos, punctuation errors, etc to be distracting. This book needs a good editing! I also was disappointed to learn it's the first in a series. I hate when that happens!
Elizabeth Pitt
Jan 06, 2015 Elizabeth Pitt rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the plot of this book, however, there were quite a few loose ends. I wanted to give it more stars but there are just so many unanswered questions and too many lines of the story that weren't followed.
Patrick Guggerty
Interesting but not gripping,but still a good read for all.

Interesting but not gripping,But still a good read for all to realize how far we need go in recovering our fallen soldiers.
Carol
May 26, 2014 Carol rated it did not like it
The story had such potential, but the writing was amateurish and the editing was nonexistent. Perhaps it is the author's first attempt at writing a novel. I can't find a publishers name, so I'm assuming this is self-published.
Jo Notary
Feb 15, 2016 Jo Notary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
it's his long lost father, he goes to meet the author, the son hears a story he learned as a son, the father is mia, this evening produces a son, he says good bye before leaving for viet nam, 1969 az, missing in action series, 151pgs
Amy
Jun 23, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
I want to give this more stars, because I think the story has all the potential to be really moving. Unfortunately, it also is in desperate need of a good editor, and not just for the typos.
Molly Allen
Easy read

I liked this book, but I didn't love the skipping back and forth between the past and present. It was a short and easy to follow story
Judith Bowers
Jul 12, 2015 Judith Bowers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The glass girls

This book is exceptional. I had to only read small sections at a time because it made me cry. Two stories in one.
Judy
Jul 09, 2014 Judy rated it liked it
Surprisingly quick, good,short read. Perfect for my Kindle paperwhite on a night when the electricity was out in the house. A few typos in the text but I could see the plot being made into a movie very easily.
Jeanne Saadi
May 24, 2014 Jeanne Saadi rated it liked it
Short and sweet. I really enjoyed this story. It was engaging and unique. I only wish it had been more developed so it would have lasted longer.
The Sample Reader
Oct 06, 2014 The Sample Reader rated it did not like it
Shelves: deleted
First impressions count, and “They” do say professional covers are particularly important when self-publishing. In my opinion The Glass Girls scores a few points on that count, but there are other vital aspects to a book’s first impression – like what is contained between those covers. For me, any hope this novel had faded away before I’d even finished the first paragraph. Reading should be a pleasure. If it isn’t, you know something is seriously wrong.

Read the full ebook Sample Reader review
Kathy
Jun 21, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Totally loved this. Very different from anything else I have read. Brings the Viet Nam war back to me.
Alissa
Jun 01, 2014 Alissa rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book that I picked up this morning and finished a few hours later!
Marissa
Oct 21, 2012 Marissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This book needs to hit the big screen. It's so haunting and so touching, I almost cried. Focused around the last days of a Vietnam era soldier, one mans search to find his fathers missing remains leads him to a group of women his father saved through "dishonorable" service. It is only after you learn what the women were saved from, and how, that you realize the soldiers behavior was the most honorable act of humanity imaginable. This book is a phenomenal tribute to the Vietnam vets that managed ...more
  • The Visionary Mayan Queen: Yohl Ik'nal of Palenque (Mists of Palenque, #1)
  • Once Upon A Lie (Alistair Fitzjohn Mystery #3)
  • Fairwood
  • Cold Blue (Jonathan Thorpe, #1)
  • The Spider Inside
  • The Lutheran Ladies' Circle: Plucking One String
  • Metro Star Murders
  • Hamfist Over The Trail
  • Murder Most Historical
  • Beneath the Mask of Sanity
  • One Last Great Wickedness
  • Chocolate Mousse Attack (Death by Chocolate)
  • All Washed Up (The Misadventures of the Laundry Hag, #3)
  • Time Fall
  • Grave Beginnings (The Grave Report, #1)
  • Death of a Bankster (Maddie Richards Mystery, #2)
  • Under Oath
  • Designed to Kill (Greg McKenzie Mysteries, Book 2)