Start by marking “Appearances Matter (Dumb Jock, #3)” as Want to Read:
Appearances Matter (Dumb Jock, #3)

Appearances Matter (Dumb Jock #3)

Todd Hoffman, age sixteen, doesn't have an easy life. Not only does he live with his alcoholic mother in a rundown mobile home, but he's also a bit of a social outcast at school. He doesn't have the nice clothing, shoes, and car the other students have. He has only one really close friend, Shannon, but even she doesn't understand him completely. He knows he can never confi ...more
Published August 25th 2012 by Amazon Digital Publishing (first published August 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Appearances Matter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Appearances Matter

A Girl Has No Name
2.5 stars rounded up to 3!

Well, I’m not entirely sure how to feel about Appearances Matter, the third installment in the Dumb Jock series by Jeff Erno. Once I got used to Erno’s writing style, I really enjoyed the story about Jeff and Brett. The second installment has already been a little repetitive in style, but it had the father – son elements between Jeff/Brett and their son Adam making it quite interesting.

Unfortunately, Appearances Matter is once again very similar. It’s not that I didn’
John Ames
Oct 01, 2012 John Ames rated it it was amazing
I love a good nerd/jock novel. I find them fresh and interesting even though some people claim that they have been retold a hundred times. But have they? If you go looking for them, you could only come across one or two. So, when Jeff Erno came out with the third installment of the Dumb Jock series, I had to read it.

The story starts with Todd Hoffman. He has had a pretty rough life since his mom is an alcoholic and they basically live in a trailer park. He is an outcast of life who finds comfort
Trisha Harrington
My review of Appearances Matter.

This book was provided by Dreamspinner Press in exchange for a fair and honest review.
V
Jul 26, 2013 V rated it really liked it
This sequel in my opinion was the weakest of the series, however still an amazing story.
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Jan 10, 2014 Martijn Hartman-maatman rated it really liked it
Another great book by what is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. However, this book leaves me with some questions. How did they get the law pushed through so fast? What happened to the people that didn't like the relationship?

All in all, a great addition to the series. I hope there will be more in this series.
Dee
Sep 03, 2012 Dee rated it really liked it
Seemed too easy. Nice read but the ending was no where close to reality.
Jen Wilson
Aug 25, 2012 Jen Wilson rated it it was amazing
I love this book.
John Sontag
Apr 29, 2014 John Sontag rated it liked it
Using a much used formula, this novel for the YA audience began quite well. The first person narrative held my attention during the initial part, which was Todd Howard's moment of glory. He was receiving recognition for his writing talents that were encouraged by his English teacher.

As he delivers his essay to the entire school, I felt elated that such an honest and forthright young man could see beyond the labels that were so indiscriminately used to hurt his fellow students.

His passion is conv
Becca Finn
May 31, 2013 Becca Finn rated it it was ok
Edina Rose
Oct 22, 2012 Edina Rose rated it it was ok
I read this because I wanted more Jeff and Brett, the two main characters in Dumb Jock and the parents of Adam, one of the heroes in Another Dumb Jock. Well, there was some J&B but I would have liked more. I understand it's not their book, though, so it's OK.

This third book in the Dumb Jock series is just there, nothing special. Galen and Todd's romance was too much a replica of the romance in books 1 and 2. It didn't add anything new to the series.

John
Mar 14, 2016 John rated it really liked it
Another great installment in the Dumb Jock series. Yet another sweet and romantic story. Jeff Erno uses the same formula he's used with the two previous books, and why change it if it ain't broke right?
I agree with others that the ending was a bit too good, too fast. Almost truly unrealistic. But hey, its fiction, so anything goes. If you can overlook that sentiment, then this is just another amazing book.
If I had to rank the books in the series so far, this one would probably be last. However,
Kevin
Apr 10, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boy meets boy, time passes, then boy and boy fall in love. Good things happen, then some bad things, but love prevails.

It seems like a simple recipe, but Jeff Erno is able to make it romantic, fun and keep you wanting more. It's a very enjoyable book that made me happy that I found it and read it. (I actually devoured it over two days, and was sorry work and other matters kept me from reading it in one "sitting".)

I recommend it.
Elci
3.5*
I'm a sucker for jock (popular kid)/ "nerd" (please let me disappear into the background kid) stories. This was a fun read (insta-love), though I hate how the mothers in these stories all have like crazy issues. Jeepers. I do like how Brett and Jeff show up. *Happy dance*

I was left with things that made me go hmmm...
(view spoiler)
Lori
Sep 16, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
D'ya know, this book followed the same jock, tutor, coming out, tragedy formula of the others in the series, but really I didn't care. They were sweet books with a great message for ... I was going to say teens but really it's for everyone ... about how it's okay to be yourself, it might not always be easy but if people don't like you for you then it's their problem, not yours. I enjoyed these books, a lot.

Bill Gray
Dec 14, 2016 Bill Gray rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Appearances Matter, which they actually do, as many of the characters find out. The concept of this series is a good one, and an often true one - high school jock and high school "nerd" fall for one another and must deal with secrecy or turbulence. Or both, in that order. The author knows his turf and has created a good series of books that appeal to gay coming of age fans.
Juan
Jun 02, 2013 Juan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay
The Conclusion Of This Book Series Was Great I Loved It I Absolutely Loved This Series(I Do Hope More Books Come Out For This Series)It Was Great,Loved How The Main Characters In The First Book Appeared In The Second And Third Book I Will Gladly Re-Read This Series In The Future.
Maame
Aug 14, 2013 Maame rated it really liked it
I have only read the second book and now this one. Frankly it was not as good as the second one. Probably because the theme is similar. Nonetheless it was ok and if another get done am sure l will read that too.
Amy
Aug 26, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-them
4.5 stars. I am so happy that we got another look at all these awesome guys again! Now I am going to be looking for another one in the future since I didn't expect this one at all. I loved seeing all the boys again, and I loved Todd and Galen!!
Katie(babs)
Oct 28, 2013 Katie(babs) rated it did not like it
Poorly written and one dimensional. For more, see Booklikes: http://katiebabs.booklikes.com/post/6...
Janie
Jan 27, 2013 Janie rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
This was a series that was great from start to finish. I'm sad it's done. I absolutely loved this entire series!! JEFF ERNO ROCKS!!!
John Jacob
Sep 21, 2014 John Jacob rated it liked it
Very unrealistic, but I like it.
Shaundra
Jan 25, 2014 Shaundra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-ebooks
Awwwss, cute, touching, everybody from book 1 and 2 were in it... Loved it!!
Alarik
I liked this one as much as both previous books. It was amazing to meet everyone from other books again. Hope there will be another sequel.
Dena
Sep 22, 2013 Dena rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, ya-na
3.75*
justanya
Sep 27, 2012 justanya rated it really liked it
Shelves: angst
A satisfying read from a wonderful series!
Djenifer
Sep 07, 2013 Djenifer rated it really liked it
A little too fast was the romantic development for my taste. But I always have to remember that kids do fall fast. A good story over all. It made me look into the author's other books.
Maria
Aug 14, 2016 Maria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: male-writers
definitivamente o pior livro da série até agora.

original review: The worst book in the series so far.
Brett Harvey
Brett Harvey rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2013
Kristie
Kristie rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
  • Raise Your Glass (Tales from Foster High, #3)
  • Heartless (Keeping Secrets #1)
  • By the Creek
  • Love Is In The Hallways (Love, #2)
  • Surviving Elite High (Surviving Elite High, #1)
  • Wrestling with Desire (Wrestling #1)
  • The New Boy
  • Every Time I Think of You
  • From the Inside Out
  • Steamroller
  • Hat Trick (Hat Trick #1)
  • Double Exposure
  • Play Me, I'm Yours
  • Ravages
  • Dreams (Dreams of Fire and Gods, #1)
  • My Roommate's a Jock? Well, Crap! (Jock #1)
  • The Price of Falling
  • (In)visible
Jeff Erno currently lives in southern Michigan. He holds a bachelor's degree in business management and human resources. Jeff began writing stories in the late 1990's and initially posted them to a free online amateur website. The positive feedback he received from readers encouraged him to continue, and this eventually led to the publication of his first novel, Dumb Jock. Erno has subsequently pu ...more
More about Jeff Erno...

Dumb Jock (6 books)
  • Dumb Jock (Dumb Jock, #1)
  • Another Dumb Jock (Dumb Jock, #2)
  • Dumb Jock: The Musical (Dumb Jock, #4)
  • Two Dumb Jocks (Dumb Jock, #5)
  • My Dumb Jock (Dumb Jock, #6)

“I was more than this meek, defenseless victim. I had something within me that was stronger than the sum of all my unacceptable parts.” 4 likes
“Love is love. Regardless of gender.” 3 likes