Start by marking “Duck in the Truck” as Want to Read:
Duck in the Truck

Duck in the Truck

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  2,662 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Duck's truck is stuck in the muck.Who will help him out?

First, frog lends a hand. Then sheep helps push, too. But duck's truck won't come unstuck! Can anyone help him get out of the muck? Or is duck out of luck?

Find out in this rollicking read-aloud by the inimitable Jez Alborough.
Published February 2nd 2000 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Duck in the Truck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duck in the Truck

Fishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Turtle Wish by Murielle CyrBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Toddlers Ages 1-3
59th out of 148 books — 65 voters
Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy E. ShawThe Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde'Tis Pity She's a Whore by John FordOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
It's not a car -- it's a book!
54th out of 96 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Miss Lasko-Gross
The Duck is an asshole
Samantha Penrose
Jan 26, 2009 Samantha Penrose rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Shelves: kids-books
I don't know what to say about this book other than I just love it!
My boys and I have been borrowing it from libraries and reading it for years! We just bought our own board book version....
My 18 month old just cant get enough of this...it must be read to him over and over...my four and six year olds love to comply when I am busy.
We all love the attitude that we give to duck as he informs an impatient sheep that he cannot get out of the way because his truck is stuck...my 18 month old especially
Hannah
Duck in the truck by Jez Alborough is all about a duck whose truck gets stuck in the muck. He can't get his truck out of the muck, and enlists the help of some of the animals he comes into contact with. It all goes wrong when the animals try to get his truck out of the muck, until they meet goat who is relaxing on his boat.

I read this book to the children in EYFS and they also had it read to them by other adults in the class. We looked at this book when we covered our topic which was 'The Farm'.
Michael Watts
Duck in the truck is the story of a duck, who is driving his truck home from shopping and unfortunately gets it stuck in some muck! Quite self-explanatory really... He is helped by a few other characters including a sheep in a Jeep and a goat in a boat and eventually gets on his way again.

I read this story with a nursery class who had recently got very excited about recognising rhyming words. It is simple enough to tell the story well whilst allowing them to guess the rhyming words, and also has
Lakshmi
Duck in the truck is one of my favourite children's book. My children like the book very much and they ask me to read the book again and again. The story has got a flow of rhyming words such as duck, truck, muck, yuck and so on. Every sentence of the story ends with the rhyming words and sound which the children like the most.
The colourful pictures itself help the children to understand the story easily. It is more suitable for the Key stage 1 children and it can be kept in the classroom book sh
Haley Herman
This book had so much potential to go more places. As an aspiring educator, I am reading many children's books to look for morals. This book would have been so much better if the duck didn't just abandon all the friends that helped him get his truck unstuck. It was supposed to be for the sake of a rhyme, but to me it came off as really mean-spiritied.
Miranda
I don't normally review children's books on goodreads, but this book made me so mad I had to say something. Seriously, Duck? Frog and Goat and Sheep help you out of a jam, and you LEAVE THEM IN THE MUD? What kind of lesson are you teaching?

Read Little Blue Truck instead.
Sarah Sammis
We go through cycles in our night-time reading. Books that my son has out grown are now being rediscovered by my daughter. Among her current half dozen or so favorites is Duck in the Truck by Jez Alborough.

Duck is driving home from the farmers' market in his red truck. He doesn't see a large rock in the road. Hitting it sends his truck veering off the road into the mud. Duck needs to find a way of getting his truck back on the road.

The story is told in easy rhymes and bright pictures. Sometimes
In this board book, Duck finds himself and his truck stuck in the muck. His friends come to his aid and try various methods to get the truck out of the mud. This is a cute little rhyming story that will appeal to younger readers.

Grades: PreK -1
Themes: friendship, helping, persistence
Publication Date: 2005

Classroom uses:

Students could be asked to identify rhyming words in the text. Students can predict upcoming rhyming words based on the preceding text. This would be an excellent tool to reinfor
Kelly
This was one of my son's favorites when he was about 18 mo - 2.5 years. We read it over and over and it only got a little tired. :)
Gemma Varcianna
Jel Alborough tells a story about a duck getting his truck stuck in the mud, all his friends happen to be coming along and help him and end up in the same prediciment. The ending is surprising but very funny. This book is silly and funny, espicially amusing for a early reader, the illustrations are fab and works alongside the text amazingly well, the rhythm and the predictabilityy of the text is great for beginners getting used to sounds. This book could be read to EYFS KS1 you could use it as a ...more
Shelby Moser
The duck is driving along when he gets stuck in the muck and other animals try to help him out of the muck until they too get stuck. It is a silly story with descriptive language and the language flows together well.
I like the way this book reads, and children do too. The young boy I babysit is only 3 but he goes along with what I am saying. I enjoy reading books that have a little bot of a rhyme to them. The illustrations are also very well done. It is most appropriate for children between 3-5
Sean
Apr 29, 2009 Sean added it
Genre: Picture Book

Age Level: early. simple, larger text, that is broken up for each individual happening in the book, and is repetitive and easy to pick up thanks to the rhyming.

World View: white, Eurocentric

Theme: teamwork

Literary Elements: rhyming, personification, dialogue, and onomatopoeia

In the Classroom: The kids could learn to use onomatopoeia in their writing, and start by adding their action words to picture hung up of the board to make a story.

Illustrations: broken up by actions t
Nikki
Out of all of my boys books, this is my #1 favorite!! LOVE IT!
Sarah Visscher
Best kid's book ever!
Emma
I dunno... Ll is still a bit young for it, but it's not very... elegant, maybe? And also weird capitalisation/grammar; is it Duck, Frog etc or the duck, the frog etc? Both are used but the nouns are always capitalised. The rhyme is sometimes very rhythmic, and then occasionally it kind of falls out of the meter. Personally though I don't have a problem with the ending. It's meant to be funny! Make it teachable if you're anti-slapstick.
*edit*
This book is really unreadable. It's badly written. I'm
Becky B
Aug 26, 2013 Becky B rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poetry teachers, Kindergarten teachers
Duck's truck gets stuck and he enlists the help of a frog, sheep and goat to help. In rhyming verse the story of this epic struggle is told and the humorous end result.

Alborough did an excellent with the rhyme and meter in this book. It is a great example for kids wanting to write their own poems. The pictures are fun and the story is humorous, though I wish Duck were a little more grateful for the help.

The book could be used by teachers talking about poetry, rhyming words, or farm animals.
Katey
CIP/Summary: Duck needs the help of the the sheep the frog and the goat with his motorboat to get his truck unstuck from the muck.

When Duck's truck gets stuck in the muck, his friends pitch in to get him back on the track. This rhyming story is excellent for beginning readers. Repetition of sounds and and the joy of getting to say "slurp and squelch and suck as the sheep steps slowly through the muck", will keep them coming back for more. Ages 2-8.
Larysa
Duck in the Truck is about book for toddlers or young children. It has colorful pictures and simple rhymes. The story is about a duck who gets his truck stuck in mud on his way home. Luckily, some other animals help him get out. One thing that puzzled me, though, was in the end, Duck leaves the other animals stuck in the mud and just drove away. That seems a little heartless for a children's story.
Melissa Mcmahon
This is a cute rhyming story that will appeal to beginning readers. The book has a rhyming pattern as it tells about a duck, in a truck, who is stuck in the muck. Several animals come to his aid, and help him get out of the muck.

I think that this is a good beginning reading book, because it focuses on the -uck ending. It helps students develop fluency when reading words with -uck endings.
Bunnyjadwiga
My son liked this a lot, with the short rhyming text and the sequencing. However, I HATED the ending: After 3 different animals help Duck get his truck unstuck, Duck drives off-- leaving those who helped him Stuck in the Muck.
Normally I try not to allow my judgements on picture books too much sway (we read the TruckTown series, for instance) but I don't think I can let this pass too much.
Stephanie Watson
This book is good for young students who are learning how to read. It becomes predictable, so students can read along with the book. It also teaches how friends help each other.
Suzanne
Just read this with my two year old. He loved the story about the duck that got stuck in his truck, and how his friends helped him get out of it. The detailed illustrations held his attention and he devoured every page. Nice quick rhyming story for two years and up, showing the value of giving a helping hand. Nice.
Alicia
Feb 01, 2008 Alicia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I love sing song books like this one. Rhyming is so great for kids. The only thing I don't like about this book is that at the end the duck leaves his friends stuck in the muck and this isn't very nice. It takes a couple of reads to get used to the wording so you can make it flow when you are reading it out loud.
Dee-Ann
I really liked this book, though sometimes the rhyming pattern was not consistent. Not sure why my autistic son did not get too enthused with thei book, as mud and muck seem to attract him, but sytrangely I found that he started paying attention to the story once I put 'Life is a Highway' music on.
Stephanie
My dear friend from college gave this book to my daughter on her first birthday. What a delight! What fun repetition of language and sounds, as well as humorous illustrations and a compelling plot (Duck gets his truck stuck in the muck; Frog, Sheep, and Goat help Duck get his truck unstuck).
Erin
The end of this book stinks. The duck, after getting help from others, drives off without a thank you, leaving them in the muck. We verbally edit this when we read it aloud, and it doesn't change the rhyming too much. We still read it because the rest of the book is lovely and descriptive.
Elaine
Mary
This is a great read for ECE. Duck’s truck gets stuck in the mud and everyone has to help get it unstuck again! The rhyming nature of the book makes it fun, and the pictures are large and vibrant. Duck isn’t very grateful at the end of the book..this could start a great discussion!
Andrea
Jan 22, 2012 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
My son and I loved this book! A very cute story about how a sheep, frog and goat tried to help the duck get his truck unstuck in the muck! Cute pictures and rhyhms. By a British author, so the words are a little different (says track instead of road, etc) but really cute!
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Farmer Duck
  • I Know a Rhino
  • My Little Sister Ate One Hare
  • The Animal Boogie PB w CD (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • One Duck Stuck
  • Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • Room on the Broom
  • The Cow Loves Cookies
Jez Alborough is the author-illustrator of the picture-book charmer HUG, his first book about Bobo. He has also created many other celebrated books for children, including SOME DOGS DO — a story about a dog who can fly — and the best-selling Eddie and the Bear books: WHERE'S MY TEDDY?, IT'S THE BEAR!, and MY FRIEND BEAR. Of TALL, he says, "Bobo experiences feeling small as well as feeling tall, bu ...more
More about Jez Alborough...
Where's My Teddy? Hug Some Dogs Do It's the Bear! Fix It Duck