Start by marking “Duck in the Truck” as Want to Read:
Duck in the Truck

Duck in the Truck

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,269 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Duck's truck is stuck in the muck.Who will help him out?

First, frog lends a hand. Then sheep helps push, too. But duck's truck won't come unstuck! Can anyone help him get out of the muck? Or is duck out of luck?

Find out in this rollicking read-aloud by the inimitable Jez Alborough.
Published February 2nd 2000 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Duck in the Truck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duck in the Truck

Suzanne
Feb 12, 2015 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Just read this with my two year old. He loved the story about the duck that got stuck in his truck, and how his friends helped him get out of it. The detailed illustrations held his attention and he devoured every page. Nice quick rhyming story for two years and up, showing the value of giving a helping hand. Nice.
Miss Lasko-Gross
Mar 25, 2011 Miss Lasko-Gross rated it it was ok
The Duck is an asshole
Samantha Penrose
Jan 26, 2009 Samantha Penrose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Shelves: kids-books
I don't know what to say about this book other than I just love it!
My boys and I have been borrowing it from libraries and reading it for years! We just bought our own board book version....
My 18 month old just cant get enough of this...it must be read to him over and over...my four and six year olds love to comply when I am busy.
We all love the attitude that we give to duck as he informs an impatient sheep that he cannot get out of the way because his truck is stuck...my 18 month old especially
Hannah
Jun 30, 2014 Hannah rated it liked it
Duck in the truck by Jez Alborough is all about a duck whose truck gets stuck in the muck. He can't get his truck out of the muck, and enlists the help of some of the animals he comes into contact with. It all goes wrong when the animals try to get his truck out of the muck, until they meet goat who is relaxing on his boat.

I read this book to the children in EYFS and they also had it read to them by other adults in the class. We looked at this book when we covered our topic which was 'The Farm'.
Michael Watts
Jun 27, 2014 Michael Watts rated it really liked it
Duck in the truck is the story of a duck, who is driving his truck home from shopping and unfortunately gets it stuck in some muck! Quite self-explanatory really... He is helped by a few other characters including a sheep in a Jeep and a goat in a boat and eventually gets on his way again.

I read this story with a nursery class who had recently got very excited about recognising rhyming words. It is simple enough to tell the story well whilst allowing them to guess the rhyming words, and also has
Lakshmi
Sep 22, 2014 Lakshmi rated it really liked it
Duck in the truck is one of my favourite children's book. My children like the book very much and they ask me to read the book again and again. The story has got a flow of rhyming words such as duck, truck, muck, yuck and so on. Every sentence of the story ends with the rhyming words and sound which the children like the most.
The colourful pictures itself help the children to understand the story easily. It is more suitable for the Key stage 1 children and it can be kept in the classroom book sh
Jan 25, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
Fabulous rhyming text and comic book style comic panels that get more frequent when the action speeds up. I used this book for teaching verbs:

- push
- pull

as part of our balance and motion unit. We did Simon Says (push the chair etc.) to check for understanding of these verbs. I also contrasted the beginning with when the truck is stuck, with the end, when the animals are stuck.

I had to preteach "stuck" because not knowing this word would block understanding.

Checking for understanding:

If my tru
Den
Aug 26, 2011 Den rated it it was ok
not one of my favourite books but children seem to love it. My son loved the big red truck
Haley Herman
Sep 18, 2014 Haley Herman rated it it was ok
Shelves: edrd-314
This book had so much potential to go more places. As an aspiring educator, I am reading many children's books to look for morals. This book would have been so much better if the duck didn't just abandon all the friends that helped him get his truck unstuck. It was supposed to be for the sake of a rhyme, but to me it came off as really mean-spiritied.
Leigh Gatta
Feb 11, 2015 Leigh Gatta rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-selection
This book is about a duck whose truck gets stuck after running into a rock, and then being stuck by itself. The duck begins to ask different animals that pass by to help him with the truck. The truck ends up getting out of the yuck but the duck ends up leaving all of the animals stuck in the yuck.
Miranda
Aug 05, 2014 Miranda rated it did not like it
I don't normally review children's books on goodreads, but this book made me so mad I had to say something. Seriously, Duck? Frog and Goat and Sheep help you out of a jam, and you LEAVE THEM IN THE MUD? What kind of lesson are you teaching?

Read Little Blue Truck instead.
Sarah Sammis
Nov 01, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Shelves: pc, read-in-2009
We go through cycles in our night-time reading. Books that my son has out grown are now being rediscovered by my daughter. Among her current half dozen or so favorites is Duck in the Truck by Jez Alborough.

Duck is driving home from the farmers' market in his red truck. He doesn't see a large rock in the road. Hitting it sends his truck veering off the road into the mud. Duck needs to find a way of getting his truck back on the road.

The story is told in easy rhymes and bright pictures. Sometimes
Parker Catlett-Miller
P and I have different opinions on books these days... While he loved this book when we got it from the library and chose to hold it for the car ride home, once we got home he wasn't that interested in it...
Shawn Fairweather
Jun 08, 2015 Shawn Fairweather rated it really liked it
A fun book to read however *spoiler* the duck is a real jerk. but I suppose thats where the fun is. Really nice large colorful artwork and a goofy storyline that is sure to get re-reads in this house.
Johanna
Nov 06, 2015 Johanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I love this book, but every time Daddy hears talk of the duck in the truck who got stuck in the muck, I always hear this faint "oh, f@&k!" coming from the other room.
Mar 27, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this board book, Duck finds himself and his truck stuck in the muck. His friends come to his aid and try various methods to get the truck out of the mud. This is a cute little rhyming story that will appeal to younger readers.

Grades: PreK -1
Themes: friendship, helping, persistence
Publication Date: 2005

Classroom uses:

Students could be asked to identify rhyming words in the text. Students can predict upcoming rhyming words based on the preceding text. This would be an excellent tool to reinfor
Rhonda Cotsell
Apr 10, 2016 Rhonda Cotsell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found in Creswick library and now read to grandson to the point where he says out loud the end of many of the lines. Wonderful story. Great rythymn.
Kelly
Jun 29, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
This was one of my son's favorites when he was about 18 mo - 2.5 years. We read it over and over and it only got a little tired. :)
Robin Rousu
Dec 27, 2014 Robin Rousu rated it liked it
I had high expectations and was a bit disappointed. It felt rather trite and then the ending was a little mean.
Gemma Varcianna
Jan 14, 2012 Gemma Varcianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jel Alborough tells a story about a duck getting his truck stuck in the mud, all his friends happen to be coming along and help him and end up in the same prediciment. The ending is surprising but very funny. This book is silly and funny, espicially amusing for a early reader, the illustrations are fab and works alongside the text amazingly well, the rhythm and the predictabilityy of the text is great for beginners getting used to sounds. This book could be read to EYFS KS1 you could use it as a ...more
Elizabeth Kids Books
We loved this book and the fun rhymes. After reading it once my daughter then would 'read' it to me.
Shelby Moser
Oct 03, 2013 Shelby Moser rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng-261
The duck is driving along when he gets stuck in the muck and other animals try to help him out of the muck until they too get stuck. It is a silly story with descriptive language and the language flows together well.
I like the way this book reads, and children do too. The young boy I babysit is only 3 but he goes along with what I am saying. I enjoy reading books that have a little bot of a rhyme to them. The illustrations are also very well done. It is most appropriate for children between 3-5
Cosette
Oct 13, 2015 Cosette rated it it was ok
This book was epic when I read it to my boys years ago. Now it's mildly irritating
Sean
Apr 29, 2009 Sean added it
Genre: Picture Book

Age Level: early. simple, larger text, that is broken up for each individual happening in the book, and is repetitive and easy to pick up thanks to the rhyming.

World View: white, Eurocentric

Theme: teamwork

Literary Elements: rhyming, personification, dialogue, and onomatopoeia

In the Classroom: The kids could learn to use onomatopoeia in their writing, and start by adding their action words to picture hung up of the board to make a story.

Illustrations: broken up by actions t
Anderst Family
Feb 18, 2016 Anderst Family rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great rhyming text where kids can easily finish the sentence. Fun story too.
Kelly Ford
Oct 29, 2015 Kelly Ford rated it really liked it
I am planning on using this book for one of our Music and Movement programs.
Nikki
Jul 31, 2014 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Out of all of my boys books, this is my #1 favorite!! LOVE IT!
James Spada
Oct 01, 2015 James Spada rated it did not like it
This book should be called, Fuck that Duck in the Truck
Karen
Sep 09, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Duck in The Truck is ri-duck-ulously funny and adorable.
Lauren White
May 19, 2015 Lauren White rated it liked it
Good for grades prek-k
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Farmer Duck
  • Mr. Gumpy's Motor Car
  • The Bunyip of Berkeley's Creek
  • Mr Archimedes' Bath
  • One Duck Stuck
Jez Alborough is the author-illustrator of the picture-book charmer HUG, his first book about Bobo. He has also created many other celebrated books for children, including SOME DOGS DO — a story about a dog who can fly — and the best-selling Eddie and the Bear books: WHERE'S MY TEDDY?, IT'S THE BEAR!, and MY FRIEND BEAR. Of TALL, he says, "Bobo experiences feeling small as well as feeling tall, bu ...more
More about Jez Alborough...