Start by marking “Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge, #5)

Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge #5)

4.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,056 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
The last thing Maldynado Montichelu—former aristocrat and current ladies' man—ever wanted was to be left in charge. After all, the team just blew up a train, crashed a dirigible, and kidnapped the emperor. It's kind of an important time.

But, with Amaranthe captured by the nefarious Forge coalition, and Sicarius off to find her, the team is lacking in leaders. Also, Sicariu
Published September 3rd 2012 by Lindsay Buroker (first published September 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood and Betrayal

Blood Song by Anthony  RyanThe Emperor's Edge by Lindsay BurokerThe Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffThe Silver Sphere by Michael DadichBlood and Betrayal by Lindsay Buroker
Best Indie Fantasy Books
5th out of 694 books — 1,237 voters
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessFight Club by Chuck PalahniukDarkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff LindsayAmerican Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
The Best Antiheroes
97th out of 462 books — 461 voters

More lists with this book...

Patricia Eddy
Sep 02, 2012 Patricia Eddy rated it it was amazing
If the worst thing you can say about a book is that you are...less than thrilled that the sequel isn't coming out for a year, then you are exceedingly lucky and well, I am exceedingly lucky. I have been waiting for Blood and Betrayal for several months now as Conspiracy (the 4th book in the series) ended on a cliffhanger. I could not, and did not, put this book down for the entire day and in a few months, to keep myself happy while I wait for book 6, I plan on starting over at Book 1.

There are
Sierra
Nov 27, 2014 Sierra rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite one so far. The relationship between Sicarius and Amaranthe progressed even further (YES!), and we got some insight into Mal's background.

Mal is my third favorite character (after Amaranthe and Sicarius of course), and I really felt for him throughout this entire book. And I adore the fact that he thinks of Amaranthe as his little sister, and that he is the first to mention that he considers the other men in the group as his brothers.
Hali Sowle
In a way I am glad that I found this series as far along (this is the 5th book) as I did since the cliff hanger ending of the last book pretty much left me howling in frustration. I really hate cliffhangers and this was a doozy and I was immensely grateful that I could start reading this one immediately to follow up.

The book begins with the aftermath of the dirigible crash and Amaranthe's capture by Major Pike and the Forge and is told from both Amaranthe's and Maldyano's point of view. While A
SubterraneanCatalyst
Sep 16, 2012 SubterraneanCatalyst rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk, wizards
So have you read the first four books? No you say? Do you plan on reading any of these? Yes you say? THEN DON'T READ THIS REVIEW. Why you ask? Because some things I mention in this review aren't a spoiler- not for someone who has read this entire series up to this book, but for YOU, that haven't read this series, this will be Spoilerland, so you are warned. Continue forward at your own risk reader.

I looked forward to this book desperately as I do with any series I adore. This is an unusual ser
Mei
Jun 08, 2015 Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I don't have enough words to say how much I'm enjoying this series!

It's highly recommened to everybody who loves witty, action-full fantasy with great characters, a tiny bit of romance (but really breath-taking and nails-chawing one!)!
Navdha
3.5 stars. If only the story wasn't dragged so much, I would have appreciated it more to round up my rating to 4 stars. That said, I'm still addicted. There is a 700 year old empire to topple afterall. Besides, we've also been promised some "later" time for Sicarius and Amaranthe.
cEe beE
May 12, 2013 cEe beE rated it really liked it
Not as interesting as the first few volumes, a lot of close calls, near misses, and death defying escapes - way too many. But I'm hooked on these series and can't wait for the 6th book.
Here's the obligatory warning that I'm in love with these books and they can do no wrong in my eyes.

All of the previous books in the Emperor’s Edge series have been leading up to this book, in a way. The lines of the Forge storyline become completely clear, and by the end of the book it is understood that the events to follow will forever change the world of the Emperor’s Edge books.

We get some strong development between Sicarius and Amaranthe, plus we get more of Sicarius, Amaranthe and Sespian
Douglas Meeks
Sep 07, 2012 Douglas Meeks rated it it was amazing
Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge #5)Blood and Betrayal by Lindsay Buroker

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I just finished Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge Book 5) and other than the fact I have to wait until next year to move the story along it was amazing as expected. The whole Emperor's Edge series borders on the edge of fantastic, the characters are fleshed out and the stories are always full of things that make you think you know what is going to happen .... until something you never thought of happens. I could write paragraphs o
Hannah
Dec 16, 2013 Hannah rated it really liked it
If there has to be a cliffhanger in a breathless adventure like the Emperor’s Edge series, then at least it should culminate in a suitable reward. Blood and Betrayal offers just that; the previous book might have ended on a real nail-biter of a cliffhanger with Amaranthe thrown (literally) into the most dangerous situation she’d ever known, but the outcome in this book is so satisfying that I almost wish there would be more of the sort.

The characters and relationships have always been one of th
Beth
Sep 08, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
Maldynado is left in charge of protecting the emperor while Sicarius leaves to rescue Amaranthe. She has been captured and is being tortured for information on Sicarius’s secrets while the rest of the team and the emperor attempt to infiltrate the usurpers in an endeavor to foil their plans.

I am a huge fan of Steampunk and specifically this series. Blood and Betrayal was a very enjoyable book. I love the characters. I love the sense of humor and intelligence of the scheming and diabolical plans.
Hallie
Mar 31, 2013 Hallie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Not knocking off any points for the horrible non-ending to the previous book in the series, although I normally get very cranky when authors do that. Part of my unusual tolerance is due to my own selfish lack of suffering, as I was able to go straight from Conspiracy into this; part the sincere-seeming apology at the end of Conspiracy; and part the fact that Buroker hasn't done this in any previous books (at least of those I've read, which is most of them).

A few essentially non-spoilery thought
Dangermousie
Kim
Sep 06, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
I have so many feelings about this series. I have many, many feelings for the characters. The characters continue to be amazing. But I have to admit to being irked by a couple of things in this book. First, I'm getting a little tired of one of the main characters being kidnapped and kept captive as a main plot. Second, there was a lot of torture in this book, which, well, I just found really unpleasant. It felt like there didn't need to be so much time spent on it, especially as it seemed not to ...more
Amanda
I think I never said it enough times about how glad I found out about this series. Honestly, the cover was not a major attraction and steampunk sounds so techno/nerdy. But now I'm a big fan. I just love the character Sicarius. He is the deadly assassin that seldom engage in dialogue, yet I find myself re-reading every word he spoken like treasure. From Book 1 to 5, he had grown so much. He use to convey message without talking, now he started to give us some full sentence.

As usual, Lindsay Buro
Azri Alipah
Aug 20, 2015 Azri Alipah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk
The fifth book of the series, and every bit as good as the previous book (without the huge cliffhanger).

I've been waiting for a Maldynado POV for a very long time, and this did not disappoint. Having a new romantic couple helped too, and I enjoyed seeing Maldynado's attempts at seduction fail, despite his (over) confidence. I also thought that the developments about his relationship to his family is very well done, because we always knew the guy who laughs the most usually has the least to laug
Kazza
Oct 28, 2014 Kazza rated it really liked it
I really, really wanted to give this a 5. But this book had some issues that prevented me from giving it a 5. Without further ado, let's go into the review of this book.

The Emperor's Edge 5: Blood and Betrayal, also known as Saving Amaranthe (and Sespian's Throne)

We start off Blood and Betrayal where the previous book left off: Amaranthe was captured by Forge and the team's dirigible was shot down. Sicarius, to my surprise (somewhat), decides to go off and save her. I say surprise because I wa
Claire
Jun 11, 2014 Claire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have to say, this book was a nail-biter. I nearly jumped out of my chair and started pacing when Amaranthe got kidnapped at the end of book 4. And then to see Major Pike show up? Well, I knew it was going to bad. And it was, indeed, very bad. Things did not go smoothly for Amaranthe this time around, and I really wish she had clung just a little bit tighter to that stupid slingshot. There were some cringe-inducing moments, and the violence could get pretty intense. However I wasn't too horrifi ...more
Paradoxical
I am kind of absurdly fond of Maldynado, which is why I went into this book with anticipating of enjoying it greatly, and I did, but less than the others. Most of that is because the group is split and Amaranthe spends a lot of her time being imprisoned and tortured. It's not so much fun when Amaranthe is tied (literally) to one place and not allowed to go gallivanting off to her adventures. I've always enjoyed the books best when everyone is together and Amaranthe is making crazy plans and peop ...more
Frankly Frankie
They don’t make statues of people who walk behind others. You have to walk out in front.

So book 5 is Maldynado's.

Amaranthe has been captured by Forge and Sicarius has set off to rescue her leaving Mal in charge of the Emperor and the rest of his Edge.

I'm very fond of Maldynado. He provides a lot of comic relief for this series but yet get's a lot of flack for it. Especially from Books and now from Sergeant Yara.

Maldynado's backstory is actually fairly grim and I admire him a lot for being so co
Alyssa
Jan 02, 2015 Alyssa rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I think it gave a lot more insight into Maldynado's personality, showing the readers that he is more than just a poppycock and pretty face. I like Lindsay Broker's style of writing and her characters' development. This book does a great job at showing the reader a bit more into the pasts of Sicarius and of Maldynado.

The only negative part is that for quite a bit of the book, Sicarius and Amaranthe are not the leading characters. They are my two favorite characters in this ser
Veevee
Feb 02, 2014 Veevee rated it really liked it
Quite frankly I am not sure why I gave this 4 stars instead of 5, cuz really it is amazing! The character in this series are absolutely awesome, they all have different personalities and development. Also they are freaking hilarious!!!
The names are rather hard to spell and read tho, but I don't really mind, at least they don't all sound the same. The plot in this series is also amazing, and fun! I love all of Amaranthe's plans they are just INSANE! And lastly we must talk about sespian and sicar
Jennie
Oct 03, 2014 Jennie rated it liked it
Blood & Betrayal in my Pants. That’s the best thing I’ve gotten from this book. (My friend posted a discussion with “Title of the book you’re currently reading + in my Pants”.) I think it sounds quite catchy. This series has hooked me with its very slow build-up of romance. VERY SLOW. Like a slug moves faster than the romance in this series. Here we are on book 5 and all they’ve done is kiss. Only once. It feels very Jane Austen and I want nothing more to see them hook up and have some hot i ...more
Sasha
Oct 27, 2015 Sasha rated it it was amazing
This book is just, wow.
I have been unable to work properly the last two days because of this damn series.
I finished Book 5 early yesterday morning. And I had to wait until this morning to buy it, as I was waiting for the money to show up on my load and go mastercard.
That 24 hours of waiting killed me! I was going around working, well trying to work, but I was like a zombie. My mind was elsewhere - wondering where Book 5 would see the team. In particular, what was going to happen to Amaranthe an
Colleen
Jan 28, 2013 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Quite a bit darker and more introspective than the earlier novels (largely due to (view spoiler), but also due to Maldynado's perspective and his dealing with his past and self doubt). Still a fast paced, action packed, wonderful character driven story. It doesn't fully resolve at the end, but it is less of a cliffhanger than book 4. Hopefully book 6 will come out soon!
Princessjay
Feb 21, 2014 Princessjay rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This series is akin to modern version of old-school pulp. Plot, more plot, barely believable twists and turns of plot, heroes and heroines who are amazing fighters, seldom needing to eat or sleep yet always managing to come out triumphant, thrusting themselves into the heart of danger while riding upon waves and waves of luck that always gets them out of desperate trouble. The heroine gets tortured for days, yet seems to survive this ordeal with general health and personality intact. Amazing.

The
Francesca
Feb 07, 2014 Francesca rated it liked it
The journey this time around was a forgettable one. We pick up minutes after "Conspiracy" ended and the exciting part is already over. There is no build-up or clue-gathering in "Blood and Betrayal"; our characters already know their path and hurtle down it at full speed.

Amaranthe's kidnapping and recovery definitely need more weight behind it. The whole thing was lightly skipped over and only the revelations from Sicarius' past kept the scenes from floating off into absurdity.

Maldynado's much-
Laura Hassebrock
Jul 28, 2015 Laura Hassebrock rated it really liked it
This series just keeps getting better and better! The plot really heats up in Blood and Betrayal and really seems to change the direction of the series. Something I really like about the series is that everything isn't so predictable. There certainly are things that you see coming, but there are plenty of surprises as well.

I also thoroughly enjoyed reading the book from Malynado's point of view. I've always enjoyed the comical relief his character provides, but it was nice to see more to him tha
Claudia
Jan 12, 2014 Claudia rated it it was amazing
this series is getting better and better ... I was not sure what to expect from Maldynado POV but I hoped that he would endear himself to me the same way Books and Akstyr did. And I was right!

the books starts where the other book ended - which was with a big cliffhanger. Amaranthe is captured by Forge and Mal and the others are trying to help Sespasian.
there is not so much scheming in this book but the action is as good as in the previous books. and the characters don't disappoint. I love the wh
Natasha
Aug 26, 2015 Natasha rated it really liked it
I didn't like it as much as the previous books. I'm not a huge fan of Mal and I expected that this book was going to sway me into liking him more by the end of it... but it didn't really. Also, rape is mentioned a bunch in this book. Too darn frequently for me anyway. Mostly just in passing but it still puts me off a bit, naturally. I don't remember it being mentioned at all in the previous books so it threw me off even more because I wasn't expecting it. Still I'm giving it 4 stars because it w ...more
  • Bones of the Fair (Darest, #2)
  • Her Own Devices (Magnificent Devices, #2)
  • Silver Mirrors (Apparatus Infernum, #2)
  • All the Paths of Shadow (Paths of Shadow, #1)
  • The Kraken King and the Empress's Eyes (Iron Seas, #4.7; Kraken King, #7)
  • The Alchemist's Flame (The Final Formula Series, #3)
  • The Kingmakers (Vampire Empire, #3)
  • Cold Fire (Spiritwalker, #2)
  • The Trouble with Kings
  • The Red Plague Affair (Bannon & Clare, #2)
I'm a professional blogger by day and an indie fantasy author by night. Evenings belong to the dogs, tennis, and books.
More about Lindsay Buroker...

The Emperor's Edge (9 books)
  • The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge, #1)
  • Dark Currents (The Emperor's Edge, #2)
  • Deadly Games (The Emperor's Edge, #3)
  • Conspiracy (The Emperor's Edge, #4)
  • Forged in Blood I (The Emperor's Edge, #6)
  • Forged in Blood II (The Emperor's Edge, #7)
  • Republic (The Emperor's Edge, #8)
  • Diplomats and Fugitives (The Emperor's Edge, #9)

“You can only fight one man at a time with a sword, but, with a pen, you can compose a lecture to bore legions of enemy troops to death.” 56 likes
“You better not be dead. This team is already overflowing with ankle spankers. I was looking forward to having more women around."

Yara's eyelids fluttered open. She blinked a few times, focused on him, and frowned.

"Ankle spanker? The only thing you've got that'll reach that far is your ego.”
6 likes