Start by marking “Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge, #5)

Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge #5)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  2,392 ratings  ·  146 reviews
The last thing Maldynado Montichelu—former aristocrat and current ladies' man—ever wanted was to be left in charge. After all, the team just blew up a train, crashed a dirigible, and kidnapped the emperor. It's kind of an important time.

But, with Amaranthe captured by the nefarious Forge coalition, and Sicarius off to find her, the team is lacking in leaders. Also, Sicariu
Published September 3rd 2012 by Lindsay Buroker (first published September 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood and Betrayal

Blood Song by Anthony  RyanThe Emperor's Edge by Lindsay BurokerThe Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffThe Silver Sphere by Michael DadichBlood and Betrayal by Lindsay Buroker
Best Indie Fantasy Books
5th out of 598 books — 1,160 voters
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessFight Club by Chuck PalahniukDarkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff LindsayAmerican Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
The Best Antiheroes
91st out of 473 books — 450 voters

More lists with this book...

Patricia Eddy
If the worst thing you can say about a book is that you are...less than thrilled that the sequel isn't coming out for a year, then you are exceedingly lucky and well, I am exceedingly lucky. I have been waiting for Blood and Betrayal for several months now as Conspiracy (the 4th book in the series) ended on a cliffhanger. I could not, and did not, put this book down for the entire day and in a few months, to keep myself happy while I wait for book 6, I plan on starting over at Book 1.

There are
Hali Sowle
In a way I am glad that I found this series as far along (this is the 5th book) as I did since the cliff hanger ending of the last book pretty much left me howling in frustration. I really hate cliffhangers and this was a doozy and I was immensely grateful that I could start reading this one immediately to follow up.

The book begins with the aftermath of the dirigible crash and Amaranthe's capture by Major Pike and the Forge and is told from both Amaranthe's and Maldyano's point of view. While A
SubterraneanCatalyst
So have you read the first four books? No you say? Do you plan on reading any of these? Yes you say? THEN DON'T READ THIS REVIEW. Why you ask? Because some things I mention in this review aren't a spoiler- not for someone who has read this entire series up to this book, but for YOU, that haven't read this series, this will be Spoilerland, so you are warned. Continue forward at your own risk reader.

I looked forward to this book desperately as I do with any series I adore. This is an unusual ser
Sierra
This was my favorite one so far. The relationship between Sicarius and Amaranthe progressed even further (YES!), and we got some insight into Mal's background.

Mal is my third favorite character (after Amaranthe and Sicarius of course), and I really felt for him throughout this entire book. And I adore the fact that he thinks of Amaranthe as his little sister, and that he is the first to mention that he considers the other men in the group as his brothers.
Navdha
3.5 stars. If only the story wasn't dragged so much, I would have appreciated it more to round up my rating to 4 stars. That said, I'm still addicted. There is a 700 year old empire to topple afterall. Besides, we've also been promised some "later" time for Sicarius and Amaranthe.
Kyla
Blood and Betrayal is the fifth book in Lindsay Buroker’s The Emperor’s Edge series. It is the second novel in a four-book plot arc, picking up right where Conspiracy ended, so I definitely recommend reading (at least) the previous book before picking this up.

Blood and Betrayal is told through the eyes of Amaranthe, the leader of a mercenary team called the Emperor’s Edge, and Maldynado, one of its members. Amaranthe has been captured by a group called Forge, leaving Maldynado as leader until A
cEe beE
Not as interesting as the first few volumes, a lot of close calls, near misses, and death defying escapes - way too many. But I'm hooked on these series and can't wait for the 6th book.
Here's the obligatory warning that I'm in love with these books and they can do no wrong in my eyes.

All of the previous books in the Emperor’s Edge series have been leading up to this book, in a way. The lines of the Forge storyline become completely clear, and by the end of the book it is understood that the events to follow will forever change the world of the Emperor’s Edge books.

We get some strong development between Sicarius and Amaranthe, plus we get more of Sicarius, Amaranthe and Sespian
Douglas Meeks
Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge #5)Blood and Betrayal by Lindsay Buroker

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I just finished Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge Book 5) and other than the fact I have to wait until next year to move the story along it was amazing as expected. The whole Emperor's Edge series borders on the edge of fantastic, the characters are fleshed out and the stories are always full of things that make you think you know what is going to happen .... until something you never thought of happens. I could write paragraphs o
Hannah
If there has to be a cliffhanger in a breathless adventure like the Emperor’s Edge series, then at least it should culminate in a suitable reward. Blood and Betrayal offers just that; the previous book might have ended on a real nail-biter of a cliffhanger with Amaranthe thrown (literally) into the most dangerous situation she’d ever known, but the outcome in this book is so satisfying that I almost wish there would be more of the sort.

The characters and relationships have always been one of th
Beth
Maldynado is left in charge of protecting the emperor while Sicarius leaves to rescue Amaranthe. She has been captured and is being tortured for information on Sicarius’s secrets while the rest of the team and the emperor attempt to infiltrate the usurpers in an endeavor to foil their plans.

I am a huge fan of Steampunk and specifically this series. Blood and Betrayal was a very enjoyable book. I love the characters. I love the sense of humor and intelligence of the scheming and diabolical plans.
Hallie
Not knocking off any points for the horrible non-ending to the previous book in the series, although I normally get very cranky when authors do that. Part of my unusual tolerance is due to my own selfish lack of suffering, as I was able to go straight from Conspiracy into this; part the sincere-seeming apology at the end of Conspiracy; and part the fact that Buroker hasn't done this in any previous books (at least of those I've read, which is most of them).

A few essentially non-spoilery thought
Dangermousie
Kim
I have so many feelings about this series. I have many, many feelings for the characters. The characters continue to be amazing. But I have to admit to being irked by a couple of things in this book. First, I'm getting a little tired of one of the main characters being kidnapped and kept captive as a main plot. Second, there was a lot of torture in this book, which, well, I just found really unpleasant. It felt like there didn't need to be so much time spent on it, especially as it seemed not to ...more
Amanda
I think I never said it enough times about how glad I found out about this series. Honestly, the cover was not a major attraction and steampunk sounds so techno/nerdy. But now I'm a big fan. I just love the character Sicarius. He is the deadly assassin that seldom engage in dialogue, yet I find myself re-reading every word he spoken like treasure. From Book 1 to 5, he had grown so much. He use to convey message without talking, now he started to give us some full sentence.

As usual, Lindsay Buro
Kazza
I really, really wanted to give this a 5. But this book had some issues that prevented me from giving it a 5. Without further ado, let's go into the review of this book.

The Emperor's Edge 5: Blood and Betrayal, also known as Saving Amaranthe (and Sespian's Throne)

We start off Blood and Betrayal where the previous book left off: Amaranthe was captured by Forge and the team's dirigible was shot down. Sicarius, to my surprise (somewhat), decides to go off and save her. I say surprise because I wa
Claire
I have to say, this book was a nail-biter. I nearly jumped out of my chair and started pacing when Amaranthe got kidnapped at the end of book 4. And then to see Major Pike show up? Well, I knew it was going to bad. And it was, indeed, very bad. Things did not go smoothly for Amaranthe this time around, and I really wish she had clung just a little bit tighter to that stupid slingshot. There were some cringe-inducing moments, and the violence could get pretty intense. However I wasn't too horrifi ...more
Paradoxical
I am kind of absurdly fond of Maldynado, which is why I went into this book with anticipating of enjoying it greatly, and I did, but less than the others. Most of that is because the group is split and Amaranthe spends a lot of her time being imprisoned and tortured. It's not so much fun when Amaranthe is tied (literally) to one place and not allowed to go gallivanting off to her adventures. I've always enjoyed the books best when everyone is together and Amaranthe is making crazy plans and peop ...more
Alyssa
I loved this book. I think it gave a lot more insight into Maldynado's personality, showing the readers that he is more than just a poppycock and pretty face. I like Lindsay Broker's style of writing and her characters' development. This book does a great job at showing the reader a bit more into the pasts of Sicarius and of Maldynado.

The only negative part is that for quite a bit of the book, Sicarius and Amaranthe are not the leading characters. They are my two favorite characters in this ser
Veevee
Quite frankly I am not sure why I gave this 4 stars instead of 5, cuz really it is amazing! The character in this series are absolutely awesome, they all have different personalities and development. Also they are freaking hilarious!!!
The names are rather hard to spell and read tho, but I don't really mind, at least they don't all sound the same. The plot in this series is also amazing, and fun! I love all of Amaranthe's plans they are just INSANE! And lastly we must talk about sespian and sicar
Jennie Pratt
Blood & Betrayal in my Pants. That’s the best thing I’ve gotten from this book. (My friend posted a discussion with “Title of the book you’re currently reading + in my Pants”.) I think it sounds quite catchy. This series has hooked me with its very slow build-up of romance. VERY SLOW. Like a slug moves faster than the romance in this series. Here we are on book 5 and all they’ve done is kiss. Only once. It feels very Jane Austen and I want nothing more to see them hook up and have some hot i ...more
Colleen
Quite a bit darker and more introspective than the earlier novels (largely due to (view spoiler), but also due to Maldynado's perspective and his dealing with his past and self doubt). Still a fast paced, action packed, wonderful character driven story. It doesn't fully resolve at the end, but it is less of a cliffhanger than book 4. Hopefully book 6 will come out soon!
Princessjay
This series is akin to modern version of old-school pulp. Plot, more plot, barely believable twists and turns of plot, heroes and heroines who are amazing fighters, seldom needing to eat or sleep yet always managing to come out triumphant, thrusting themselves into the heart of danger while riding upon waves and waves of luck that always gets them out of desperate trouble. The heroine gets tortured for days, yet seems to survive this ordeal with general health and personality intact. Amazing.

The
Francesca
The journey this time around was a forgettable one. We pick up minutes after "Conspiracy" ended and the exciting part is already over. There is no build-up or clue-gathering in "Blood and Betrayal"; our characters already know their path and hurtle down it at full speed.

Amaranthe's kidnapping and recovery definitely need more weight behind it. The whole thing was lightly skipped over and only the revelations from Sicarius' past kept the scenes from floating off into absurdity.

Maldynado's much-
Claudia
this series is getting better and better ... I was not sure what to expect from Maldynado POV but I hoped that he would endear himself to me the same way Books and Akstyr did. And I was right!

the books starts where the other book ended - which was with a big cliffhanger. Amaranthe is captured by Forge and Mal and the others are trying to help Sespasian.
there is not so much scheming in this book but the action is as good as in the previous books. and the characters don't disappoint. I love the wh
Lark
I was pleasantly surprised in this book because it started to really focus on one of the minor main characters. But was a little disappointed at the end because ultimately even though Maldonovo was given so much page time, I didn't even learn that much about him than I could found out from a secondary point of view.

We already know from other books that he's fond of clothes and women and tries to avoid direct responsibility, but is intelligent despite his foppish appearance. What did we learn mo
Kathy Henderson
can't wait for next book to come out! I really like Lindsay style of writing. I like to laugh.
Susan Smith
I read the first five books of this series all in a row, and they were fun, quick reads. I like the characters. At this point I'm finding my interest waning, though. Maybe I'll finish the series later.

The non-stop, no-consequences action is kind of tiring after a while, fights and chases and explosions (which I love, but I like some rest in between). People get hurt, but it never seems to slow them down, and they always come out on top. It feels like the action is just filler, and the important
Samantha
Maldynado's perspective..

I was looking forward to reading his side of the adventure. I think I may have had my hopes raised a bit to high so when I didnt exactly get what I was hoping for I was slightly disappointed, however looking back it was still a great read.

He is probably my fave characters in the group and I adore his sense of humor and the fact he takes it all in his stride.

The hostility toward him though was not something I had expected. I am glad that more then a mild annoyance didnt o
Denise
The fifth book in the series picks up right after Conspiracy's cliffhanger and delivers another fast-paced, action-packed fantasy read that is just as wonderfully entertaining as the previous books. This one is Maldynado's book, which I'd been especially looking forward to as he's been one of my favourite characters ever since his first appearance. With Amaranthe captured by the enemy and Sicarius off on his own to rescue her, Mal finds himself with way more responsibility than he ever wanted as ...more
  • Bones of the Fair (Darest, #2)
  • All the Paths of Shadow (Paths of Shadow, #1)
  • Magnificent Devices (Magnificent Devices #3)
  • Silver Mirrors (Apparatus Infernum, #2)
  • Riveted (Iron Seas, #3)
  • Red Rope of Fate
  • The Element of Death (The Final Formula Series, #1.5)
  • Render (The Children of Man, #2)
  • The Trouble with Kings
  • The Betrayal Knows My Name, Volume 6
  • Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
  • The Kingmakers (Vampire Empire, #3)
I'm a professional blogger by day and an indie fantasy author by night. Evenings belong to the dogs, tennis, and books.
More about Lindsay Buroker...

The Emperor's Edge (8 books)
  • The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge, #1)
  • Dark Currents (The Emperor's Edge, #2)
  • Deadly Games (The Emperor's Edge, #3)
  • Conspiracy (The Emperor's Edge, #4)
  • Forged in Blood I (The Emperor's Edge, #6)
  • Forged in Blood II (The Emperor's Edge, #7)
  • Republic (The Emperor's Edge, #8)
The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge, #1) Dark Currents (The Emperor's Edge, #2) Deadly Games (The Emperor's Edge, #3) Conspiracy (The Emperor's Edge, #4) Forged in Blood I (The Emperor's Edge, #6)

“You can only fight one man at a time with a sword, but, with a pen, you can compose a lecture to bore legions of enemy troops to death.” 47 likes
“You better not be dead. This team is already overflowing with ankle spankers. I was looking forward to having more women around."

Yara's eyelids fluttered open. She blinked a few times, focused on him, and frowned.

"Ankle spanker? The only thing you've got that'll reach that far is your ego.”
6 likes