Start by marking “New X-Men, Vol. 5: Assault on Weapon Plus” as Want to Read:
New X-Men, Vol. 5: Assault on Weapon Plus

New X-Men, Vol. 5: Assault on Weapon Plus (New X-Men #5)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,224 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
This deluxe hardcover volume collects the New X-Men stories found in New X-Men Vol. 3: New Worlds and New X-Men Vol. 4: Riot at Xavier's - plus other behind-the-scenes materials!
Published May 31st 2006 by Marvel (first published January 7th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about New X-Men, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New X-Men, Vol. 5

X Colton X
Sep 14, 2016 X Colton X rated it liked it
Ah, the origins of Fantomex, the incredibly weird charismatic assassin/thief that I came to know and love in Remender's Uncanny X-Force. It surprises me not at all that this character is one of Morrison's creation, he's just so fucking... weird, and he's got an origin story to match.

Really, this particular collection wasn't so enthralling but it's nice to see Wolverine and Cyclops getting along for once. I guess I'll savor it while it lasts.

Martin
Jun 05, 2016 Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I remember - back in the day - I started reading Morrison's New X-Men monthly with this story arc, and I've always been fond of it. I re-read this one today to see if the old magic was still there, and I have to say, unequivocally, 'YES'. I love the script, Morrison's wacky concepts & witty dialog, as well as Bachalo's stylized art. Certainly one of the superior story arcs of Morrison's New X-Men run.
Carina
I got this graphic novel free as part of a ZBox I bought at the May 2016 London Comic-Con, and I must admit I'm glad that I got more than just this for my money...

Granted, I am not a huge fan of the XMen comics/graphic novels. I enjoy the ones I own and can name (I now own four, of those two I can name (Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Futures Past) and they are the ones I like) the other two (which includes this one) I am rather ambivalent about.

This is book number 5 so clearly picks up in the mid
Mersini
The thing about reading collected volumes is that sometimes on arc finishes and another starts, right in the middle of the book, so you're left scrambling, trying to work out how they're related.

The good thing about this one is that it brings back things that were set up earlier. The first half directly follows on from the last volume, with Jean confronting Emma and taking us on a walk through Emma's past, which is fascinating but short lived. Then the death of Emma, and the story turns into a W
Leila Anani
Brian Rosenberger
Nov 30, 2012 Brian Rosenberger rated it really liked it
This volume reprints New X-Men 139-145. Author Grant Morrison kicks it off with the Phoenix-powered Jean Grey's discovery of her husband, X-Men poster boy, Cyclops is having a psychic affair with everyone's favorite centerfold, Emma Frost, the White Queen. Jean beats up Emma, taking her on a telepath's journey into her past, where we see Emma pre-plastic surgery and her family dynamics pre-Hellfire Club days
Cut to Emma in her diamond form, shattered. Story turns into a who-done-it - Who Shot the
Ryan
Jan 04, 2012 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Note: apparently the newest edition of the New X-Men series is numbered differently than the old ones. Vol 5 is the "Riot at Xavier's" story now, not the "Assault on Weapon Plus" one).

Since the beginning of the X-Men, the backdrop of Xavier's school has always been there. But it's always been little more than a backdrop, a place to gather a group of teenagers together and run them through the Danger Room between missions. Morrison really moves beyond that, and this volume focuses heavily on the
Christopher Mclean
Jan 08, 2015 Christopher Mclean rated it it was ok
Unfortunately I felt like this volume went backwards. I enjoyed the "Murder at the Mansion" arc but the main "Assault on Weapon Plus" arc typified everything I really dislike in superhero big bad of the week type comics including:
- A huge world ending threat coming out of nowhere with no real explanation for it's sudden arrival
- No motivation at all the the enemies actions
- An enemy with no defined powers who seems completely unstoppable for 99% of the story
- No development of any of the hero ch
Colin
Jun 14, 2009 Colin rated it really liked it
Finally, someone handed the reigns of mutant-kind and the forward momentum of the morbidly obese X franchise to the right guy - Grant Morrison. Beginning with issues making the Hellfire Club out to be a high society strip bar, Wolverine and Cyclops finally have a few drinks together - Sabertooth and Wolverine pee next to one another, have a conversation, and don't try to kill each other - and Wolverine, Cyke, and Fantomex determine the reality of the Weapon Plus program. Turns out Wolverine is ' ...more
Jen
Mar 29, 2016 Jen rated it did not like it
This did not flow with the previous volumes/storyline and was altogether boring, confusing, and annoying. The World, Weapon 15, "Fantomex" aka Weapon 13 (or 11? I don't know I don't remember) all seemed hastily built with no real substance or thought put into them. I probably could have just passed on this whole installment and gone straight to volume 6.
Mairi
Mar 14, 2015 Mairi rated it liked it
The first two issues, about the murder investigation, were good and compelling. However, just as that wraps up (with a very crucial lose end), we shift gears to Wolverine and Cyclops investigating Wolverine's origins. Many of the elements of this seemed to come out of nowhere, and the story in general felt less tied to ongoing events.
catechism
Jul 24, 2015 catechism rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Enjoyable but a bit frustrating. There was a murder mystery that I was enjoying but it was left unresolved and we switched over to the adventures of Wolverine, Fantomex and Mutant Trainwreck: Scott Summers. I enjoyed that, too, and again it was left unresolved. It's like they want me to read the next book or something.
Shane Perry
May 09, 2015 Shane Perry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may be my favorite volume so far. Love the focus being more on the school this time around, something a lot of X-books tend to push to the side after a while. Morrison does an awesome job of making a seemingly fill-in story be a great place for character development, where more than a few subplots come to the forefront.
Roman Colombo
Dec 30, 2015 Roman Colombo rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Have to say, not the strongest of Morrison's run. Sure we learned some cool things about Wolverine, but it really feels like a filler story. And Bachalo's art, while interesting, can also be confusing too. Going into the penultimate volume, I'm sure things will kick up a bit.
Jeffrey Jelmeland
Still a lot of soap opera in the story, but at least this one had an actual plot or two outside of the soap opera. One was a murder mystery that was never truly solved, though I suppose that will come in a later volume. The second story was more of an action brawl, though there was a lot of the Scott Summers whining and moping going on at the beginning. All in all the stories were not that bad. What really sucked was the lousy artwork. I know that each artist feels a need to express some individ ...more
Adam Fisher
Oct 03, 2015 Adam Fisher rated it really liked it
This Volume starts with the psychic backlash of Scott and Emma being busted by Jean.... which ends (though it's not Jean's fault) in Emma being busted... literally! And the investigation of Emma's "murder" begins. Where is Scott?
The second part of the Volume answers that. He's with Wolverine and Fantomex as they as mount an attack on Weapon Plus. It seems like everything is coming to a head... and with 2 Volumes left, I'm guessing so.

Recommend.... on to the next one.
anthony e.
Jul 20, 2009 anthony e. rated it it was amazing
The best portion of Morrison's New X-Men run. The concepts here are wild and expansive, challenging the mind of the reader while offering a rigorous amount of character development, interplay, and nuance. Fantomex, seemingly a disposable homage to the Italian character Diabolik, comes into his own as a wildly interesting new additon to the X-mythos, and the expansion of Cyclops' character, which is picked up by other capable writers like Joss Whedon after Morrison's departure, begins here.

Additi
Feather Mista
Nov 12, 2010 Feather Mista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los comics en general, de los mutantes de Marvel y de Morrison inspiradísimo.
Recommended to Feather by: Que me encantaron los tomos anteriores.
Incluye dos de las sagas de Morrison que menos me gustaron -y eso que me parecieron muy buenas-, quizás por contraste con otras que me parecen prácticamente impecables. Puede que influya que la historia en sí no es tan fresca y lúcida o quizás porque los dibujos del correctísimo Phil Jiménez parezcan un poco desganados y los de Chris Bachalo (que me suelen parece geniales) parecen caricaturas y no ayudan mucho al clima que quiere transmitir la historia. Aun así sigue siendo mejor que la gran may ...more
Dale Platt
Jun 17, 2016 Dale Platt rated it really liked it
Delves deeper into the mystique of Morrison and all of what he shakes up in terms of mutant lore. Logan and his origins begin to take shape!

It baffles me that this run is largely ignored by the masses despite the recent comic resurgence!
Lloyd
Grant Morrison continues his innovative run on the X-Men with this volume. I liked it, but would probably group it with Volume 3, "New Worlds" in that these books are still X-Men, they're still Grant Morrison (two of the coolest things in the cosmos), but the other volumes thus far are better.

Morrison brings us a bit of murder mystery in this volume, which is cool, but then we get into more of the Fantomex/Weapon X/Weapon XV story which for me is the least enjoyable thing of the series.

You can N
Derek
The confrontation between Emma Frost and Jean Grey unsettles Cyclops. He storms out and goes to Hells Fire. Where he meets Logan and Logan persuades him to join him and Fantomex on a quest to uncover the secrets about Logan's past. They will encounter a foe they've never come across before. Weapon XV. The greatest mutant killing weapon presently.
Nate
Aug 27, 2016 Nate rated it really liked it
Me da ternura y penita arma XV :c
Ralph
Nov 22, 2012 Ralph rated it it was ok
Crap art, ok story. Nothing special. Seemed like Morrisson was coasting here. Not as painful to read as that Christopher Gage Astonishing X-Men book, though.

The particular edition I have is some kind of digest edition where the page is strunk and thus difficult to read. Also, the binding split off the back as soon as I opened it. WTF Marvel? It was even more annoying than wearing 3D glasses over my regular glasses at the movies.
John
Jul 27, 2008 John rated it liked it
What was potentially a good science fiction story was ruined for me by Bachalo's art, which became distracting to the overall picture. I find this a lot when he works in the context of X-Men. While his art has a time and a place (i.e., the Death mini-series), it only complicates team based books as one thing bleeds into another and his passion for disproportionate becomes grating.
Patrick Hudson
May 21, 2013 Patrick Hudson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There seem to be a couple of editions of these collections that are differently numbered- helpful! Anyway, the one I'm reviewing covers issues #134 to #138.

This is the best so far, I think. I really enjoyed the Riot at Xavier's storyline. Great characters, brilliant ideas, funny and clever and supported by fantastic artwork by Frank Quitely. The highlight of the series!
Shannon Appelcline
May 01, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
The Emma & Jean story that kicks things off is a spectacular look at the characters of the women, and of Scott [10/10]. The murder mystery that follows is a bit too Morrison-weird at times, but ends strongly [8/10]. The Weapon Plus story that ends things is a good continuation of the story from volume 3, but a bit weird, and it's non-ending is abrupt [7/10].
M
Aug 03, 2011 M rated it it was ok
This collection feels like a mishmash of stories that really did not need to be told. Bishop and the X-Treme X-men squad (thanks, Claremont) pop by to solve the supposed murder of Emma Frost, then Cyclops and Wolverine find themselves aiding Fantomex in shutting down the Weapon Plus program. Not my favorite set of Morrison's run.
Jacob Dougherty
Jul 05, 2011 Jacob Dougherty rated it really liked it
Grant Morrison's story is excellent, but the only thing preventing this from getting 5 stars is Chris Bachalo's art. Seriously, what made him decide to change his style so dramatically that it's almost incomprehensible at times what the characters are even doing on the page?
Aurora
Jul 08, 2008 Aurora rated it liked it
Easily the best part of this book is 4 pages of Wolverine and Cyclops drinking together. Why can't there be more of that? Like, with a reboot you have this amazing chance to shape the characters in new and interesting ways. Why is there so little downtime?
Elizabeth
Hahaha, brilliant. Jean Grey tells Emma Frost what she really thinks of her. Wolverine tells Cyclops what he really thinks of him. Cyclops proves himself whiny and coups over with the drink. Shit blows up. Champion.
  • House of M: Mutopia X (District-X: House of M)
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 6: Exogenetic
  • X-Men: Mutant Genesis
  • Decimation: Generation M
  • X-Men vs. Apocalypse, Vol. 1: The Twelve
  • Uncanny X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more
More about Grant Morrison...

New X-Men (7 books)