Start by marking “A Light In The Darkness (Light Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Light In The Darkness (Light Series, #1)

A Light In The Darkness (Light Series, #1)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Merrilyn's life is quiet and predictable. An apprentice to the royal healer, she spends her days helping in the village or up to mischief with her best friend who happens to be the handsome younger son of the king. But when a mysterious archer shows up in the forest and shoots their escort, Merrilyn's life is forever changed. Caught in a battle between two forgotten gods, ...more
Published August 6th 2012 by CreateSpace (first published August 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Light In The Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Light In The Darkness

The Changelings by Elle CaseyKahayatle by Elle CaseyBentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul CudeSlumber by Samantha YoungThe Fallen Star by Jessica Sorensen
Best Indie Y/A Fantasy Book
11th out of 60 books — 131 voters
My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisHeartless by Anne Elisabeth StenglThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
Christian Fantasy/Allegories
154th out of 222 books — 112 voters

More lists with this book...

Felicia Tatum
Mar 11, 2013 Felicia Tatum rated it it was amazing
This book drew me in from the first chapter. I absolutely loved it and had to just go get the second in the series! Can't wait to read more about Merri and Justan :)
Christine Locke
Feb 17, 2013 Christine Locke rated it it was amazing
This is a well written fantasy with memorable characters. Merrilyn's faith in a forgotten god, Loian, and her strict adherance to her professional principles place a strain on her friendship with Prince Justan. Had she not been the Alaith, Merrilyn's romantic relationship with Justan could have developed more quickly. Instead, following her professional call and her faith, Merrilyn finds a new friend--and a love triangle.
This is a fantasy set in a capably-created world where magic is a real thre
Faye
Nov 03, 2012 Faye rated it really liked it
An action packed medieval tale of what a light can do in the darkness.

Merrilyn's life changes forever when she mysteriously heals the royal escort after an unexpected ambush.

Merrilyn struggles to follow the voice called Loian that guides her, her devotion to Loian puts a strain on her relationship her best friend Justan, the crown prince.

Can Merrilyn help lead her country into a new age?

Ms. Sutherlin wonderfully balances her allegory so that it is not too much, yet not in the least lacking, a tr
Ruth Burgess
This review, my first review, is chock-full of spoilers, so if you're interested in actually reading this book without spoilers, step a good distance away.

Ugh. I really wanted to like this book. The pacing was wrong, the characters were flat, the relationships were shallow, but the premise was interesting. I mean, has anyone heard of a silver-haired heroine who heals others by praying? Probably not. Still, this book almost falls into the bottom of the barrel.

The book starts off with Merrilyn, t
Turtles
Not entirely a bad book, and not for me. There seem to be Christian undertones in the wimpy healer who believes in/prays to a ghostly God no one else supports anymore, along with the whole good vs. evil thing. The story is very pure with little grey. Despite being the heroine of the story, Marilyn makes few decisions on her own and is always protected by an adult, the love interest, or said god; she's boring and so are the cardboard other characters.
Holly J. Brazle
Intensely intriguing story

From the first few paragraphs, I was totally hooked on this wonderful adventure! The characters are wonderfully realistic and the story just keeps pulling you along, from one chapter to the next. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in an adventure!
Apr 02, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read. Can't wait to read the next one!
Kimberly Krey
Aug 25, 2012 Kimberly Krey rated it really liked it
A Light in the Darkness takes us through a unique journey as Merrilyn, close friend to Prince Justan, presues her destiny as the Alaith, chosen magical healer of Nomar. While the adventure is fun and interesting, I found myself wishing there were more happening between Marilyn and Prince Justan, since I am a romantic at heart. Still, the writing was great, the story engaging, and the overall read worthwhile. Glad to have found it!
Amanda
May 29, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed A Light in the Darkness. From the first chapter, I was drawn into this fantasy world and trying to figure out the mystery. The entire story was a fun adventure, with some mysteries revealed. I can't wait to continue the adventure in book #2 and discover more about Merrilyn's world.
I can't finish this...
Katie Casey
Sep 14, 2012 Katie Casey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012favs
Loved this book!!! I became completely engrossed with the characters and found myself smiling with and rooting for them! I look forward to the next book!
Briar
Briar marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Sara Kaley
Sara Kaley marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Fee Roberts
Fee Roberts marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Brenda Hoffman
Brenda Hoffman marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Becky Suwanski
Becky Suwanski marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Abigail Young
Abigail Young marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Mirela
Mirela marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Ashley
Ashley is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2016
MaryKate
MaryKate rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
erin phillips
erin phillips rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Caleb Lang
Caleb Lang marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Rose_sweet
Rose_sweet rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Sarah Humphries
Sarah Humphries marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
BlackRoze Tamibates
BlackRoze Tamibates marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Heather Sutherlin lives in Arkansas with her husband and three children. She loves all things creative and enjoys the worlds she dreams up, longing to live the adventure alongside her characters. When she’s not at her writing desk, she is busy exploring and learning with her children or cooking big, elaborate meals in the kitchen with her husband.
More about Heather Sutherlin...