Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing

Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  21 reviews
You know a great literary "voice" when you hear it: David Sedaris' humorous cynicism. Elmore Leonard's weary, smart-mouthed dialogue. Nick Hornby's simple yet imaginative descriptions. It's the kind of writing you should aspire to, right? Well...not quite. Each of these authors found success in part by developing their own unique voice: a writing style that helped define -...more
Published April 16th 2012 by Blue Skies Books (first published March 8th 2003)

Margo Berendsen
After you've read the writing books that point out all the errors you made when you were starting out, and then you've read the writing books that make you feel like you'll never "get there" with your writing, this book is a refreshing boost to your confidence.

"If you’ve read rabidly all your life, believe it or not, you know as much as just about anybody in the writing game. You may not be able to articulate it as well as some professors, but you don’t have to. All you have to do is follow you...more
Nisah Haron
Mar 13, 2010 Nisah Haron rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all writers
I have learned that it's okay to be myself and it's very much okay not to sound like Virginia Woolf, Toni Morrison et al, because I'm definitely not them. Thank you again, Les. After reading "Hooked", I really love this book as well. Thank you for writing it!
Ranger
Jun 04, 2010 Ranger rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who ever wants to write stories
Shelves: writing
I really loved this guy's stance on writing. Basically, trust your gut, get rid of that critic-nag-dude(or dudette) in you and others, and just write for yourself.
Lauren
At first I agreed and liked the examples and opinions used. Edgerton has a fluid style and makes it easy to read the book. As I got further in it felt more like gospel and eventually I got to points that I thought was bad advice or just poorly written. For example he says trust your voice and that he has totem rewrites down to one or two... and if we go beyond that because of others' standards we are losing our voice. I think as many rewrites as it takes is what we should aim for and it all depe...more
Demetra
You know that little ditty "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine?" -- It's all right here, just for you. And if you've ever questions your voice in writing, Les Edgerton—the Author of Hooked, Write Fiction that Grabs Readers at Page One and Never Lets The Go—lets you know with humor and certainty that if you let your natural voice shine, so will your writing.

His humor and personal anecdotes made this a fantastic read. Talk about voice. The entire reading experience was a lot less l...more
Kenn
This was the first how-to book of Edgerton's I read. I had read about it in the Writer's Digest magazine and read an article in the same magazine by Les. I'm a hard-headed mofo sometimes, and Les will vouch for that, but he lays it on the line here. He makes you toss out the window everything you ever learned in school about writing.Definitely worth your time and money to invest in.
Matthew Pierce
His other book - Hooked - was much better. Nevertheless, this also is a good book. I bet if I had read this before Hooked, I would have rated it higher.
Susan Fields
I highly recommend this book. This is an area I've really been struggling with, and I learned a lot by reading this.
Liam Michael Sweeny
This is the first non-fiction book I've reviewed, but I think it's a book worth reading by both writers and avid readers.

Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing is, as the name would suggest, a book on writing. I've read many books on creative writing, fiction specifically, but I noticed a few things about this book that really set it apart.

"Voice" is talked about a lot in writing, and writers are always encouraged to find a "voice". What Les Edgerton, a fantastic writer and w...more
Roland Martinez
I loved the exercises in this book. Some of my favorites are to talk a walk or a drive as a character you are writing about, write a poem about your story and writing a satirical letter to your (probably imagined) critics.

Les did a great job explaining why voice is as important to your writing if not more so than all the technical rules you have read about writing in the past. You can tell that he cares about writing and reading a book from someone who cares about writing is just plain motivatin...more
John Hanson
We writers are almost constantly told about voice. In snippets. We'll read an article and it will say "write in your own voice" or "trust your voice" or "don't copy Flaulkner or Hemingway, develop your own voice." Blah, blah, blah. This is the only book I know of dedicated to our writing voice, and as such, it contains probably more than you want or need. It's overkill. Les includes many examples, passages from his works and from works of authors who have found and used their own voice successfu...more
Shawnaz138
This book is a godsend for both the neophyte and seasoned writer. I've spent entirely too much money on writing craft books, all of which either rehash the same advice, or expound on techniques that could only work for a particular author. Les Edgerton's “Finding Your Voice” is practical, brilliant, and hands-down, the quintessential work on coming into your own as a scribe.

DO NOT hesitate to grab this book! It's consummate reference material for the serious writer.

Writers, listen: Our time is s...more
Deborah
I saw this book while picking up another book in this section and decided to give it a read. After reading three chapters, I realized I wasn't going to learning anything new. I've read the same information in other writing books. This book isn't so much about adding personality to your writing as about not writing exactly like your favorite author or how your English teacher taught you to.

I wouldn't say the book is bad, just that I didn't see anything truly unique about it. But a writer who's ju...more
Ummu Fatihah
Jul 04, 2010 Ummu Fatihah is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Still reading and find it very interesting.

At page 75 and found out this is an easy way to write a how to book. Just ask people not to do what are encourage by other author.

For example, common guide is to write is to show, not to tell. And this book's tip would be dont do this all the way, which is correct but sure not a new thing to us.
Mary
Some good exercises, but overall it's not a "workbook." I like the voice of the author--humorous and real. Lots of suggested reads listed in the back, that's also a plus. I took my time going through this one.
Pam Asberry
One of the top three most important books on writing I've ever read. Not exactly a "how-to" manual but just what I needed at this point in my writing career. A must-read for anyone seeking publication.
LeAnne
His voice is a bit wordy and repetitious for me, but the content is worthwhile for those looking for an understanding of the subject.
Cynthia
Jan 24, 2010 Cynthia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A friend just gave me a boatload of encouraging writing books. I could cry. Ask if you want to borrow any.
Helen Bratko
I just finished this book and found it really helpful. I definitely would recommend it to aspiring writers.
Robin Patchen
Great ideas and exercises for developing a writer's voice.
Jodie Toohey
Jodie Toohey marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Cindy C.F.
Cindy C.F. marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
JacQuelyne A. Lewis
JacQuelyne A. Lewis marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Jennifer Haight
Jennifer Haight marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
colorwalk
colorwalk marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Kindle edition: 7 161 Aug 23, 2012 11:47AM
Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go Just Like That The Rapist The Bitch The Perfect Crime