Start by marking “Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing” as Want to Read:
Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing

Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  138 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
You know a great literary "voice" when you hear it: David Sedaris' humorous cynicism. Elmore Leonard's weary, smart-mouthed dialogue. Nick Hornby's simple yet imaginative descriptions. It's the kind of writing you should aspire to, right? Well...not quite. Each of these authors found success in part by developing their own unique voice: a writing style that helped define - ...more
Published April 16th 2012 by Blue Skies Books (first published March 8th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Your Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Your Voice

Margo Berendsen
After you've read the writing books that point out all the errors you made when you were starting out, and then you've read the writing books that make you feel like you'll never "get there" with your writing, this book is a refreshing boost to your confidence.

"If you’ve read rabidly all your life, believe it or not, you know as much as just about anybody in the writing game. You may not be able to articulate it as well as some professors, but you don’t have to. All you have to do is follow you
Lauren
Dec 04, 2013 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At first I agreed and liked the examples and opinions used. Edgerton has a fluid style and makes it easy to read the book. As I got further in it felt more like gospel and eventually I got to points that I thought was bad advice or just poorly written. For example he says trust your voice and that he has totem rewrites down to one or two... and if we go beyond that because of others' standards we are losing our voice. I think as many rewrites as it takes is what we should aim for and it all depe ...more
Nisah Haron
Mar 13, 2010 Nisah Haron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all writers
I have learned that it's okay to be myself and it's very much okay not to sound like Virginia Woolf, Toni Morrison et al, because I'm definitely not them. Thank you again, Les. After reading "Hooked", I really love this book as well. Thank you for writing it!
Ranger
Jun 04, 2010 Ranger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who ever wants to write stories
Shelves: writing
I really loved this guy's stance on writing. Basically, trust your gut, get rid of that critic-nag-dude(or dudette) in you and others, and just write for yourself.
John Hanson
Feb 23, 2013 John Hanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
We writers are almost constantly told about voice. In snippets. We'll read an article and it will say "write in your own voice" or "trust your voice" or "don't copy Flaulkner or Hemingway, develop your own voice." Blah, blah, blah. This is the only book I know of dedicated to our writing voice, and as such, it contains probably more than you want or need. It's overkill. Les includes many examples, passages from his works and from works of authors who have found and used their own voice successfu ...more
Demetra
Sep 14, 2011 Demetra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know that little ditty "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine?" -- It's all right here, just for you. And if you've ever questions your voice in writing, Les Edgerton—the Author of Hooked, Write Fiction that Grabs Readers at Page One and Never Lets The Go—lets you know with humor and certainty that if you let your natural voice shine, so will your writing.

His humor and personal anecdotes made this a fantastic read. Talk about voice. The entire reading experience was a lot less l
Rod Raglin
Which comes first, voice or craft?

In Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing, author Les Edgerton begins by blaming all the English teachers you had through elementary and secondary school for destroying your original voice.

Edgerton believes if you were allowed to just write “naturally”, not like how you were told to write and not like how you think a “writer” should write you’d have your original voice.

I thought learning how to write came first and voice came after that, and
Harry Collier iv
Feb 12, 2015 Harry Collier iv rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Les Edgerton has found his voice. Sure it is the condescending voice of an old man shouting at the neighborhood kids about the good old days all while trying in his mind to stay "hip."
I am not impressed with his style and find it painful to read.
With that said, I do have hope of learning something in this book and so I am pressing onward.
I think I should just get through it as quickly as possible, concentrating on the exercises and not the meaningless babble that tries to sell more Les Edgerton
Lisa Ciarfella
Nov 06, 2015 Lisa Ciarfella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Edgerton is top notch when it comes to offering up the tricks of the trade to beginning and aspiring authors.
I can't recomment it highly enough!

His warmth, humor, and on target wisdom comes from a very real place, in true spirit of wanting to help. The prompts and exercises alone are more than worth the price of admission! Especially the critic nag-dude letter!

If you need a little help in this direction, look no farther. Les is your man!

Kenn
Aug 06, 2012 Kenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first how-to book of Edgerton's I read. I had read about it in the Writer's Digest magazine and read an article in the same magazine by Les. I'm a hard-headed mofo sometimes, and Les will vouch for that, but he lays it on the line here. He makes you toss out the window everything you ever learned in school about writing.Definitely worth your time and money to invest in.
Matthew Pierce
His other book - Hooked - was much better. Nevertheless, this also is a good book. I bet if I had read this before Hooked, I would have rated it higher.
Susan Fields
Jan 17, 2012 Susan Fields rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book. This is an area I've really been struggling with, and I learned a lot by reading this.
Liam Sweeny
Nov 17, 2013 Liam Sweeny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first non-fiction book I've reviewed, but I think it's a book worth reading by both writers and avid readers.

Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing is, as the name would suggest, a book on writing. I've read many books on creative writing, fiction specifically, but I noticed a few things about this book that really set it apart.

"Voice" is talked about a lot in writing, and writers are always encouraged to find a "voice". What Les Edgerton, a fantastic writer and w
Roland Martinez
Aug 25, 2013 Roland Martinez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the exercises in this book. Some of my favorites are to talk a walk or a drive as a character you are writing about, write a poem about your story and writing a satirical letter to your (probably imagined) critics.

Les did a great job explaining why voice is as important to your writing if not more so than all the technical rules you have read about writing in the past. You can tell that he cares about writing and reading a book from someone who cares about writing is just plain motivatin
Lee Kofman
Ironically, I hated the author's voice in Finding Your Voice. It reminded me of Elisabeth Gilbert’s voice – shrill, loud, smug and at the same time eager to please for commercial ends. Yet it seems that reading any book on writing, even a really annoying one, can teach you a lot. This one, if used in moderation and with healthy scepticism, can serve as a good reminder that it’s the writer's personality that should dominate the writing, not some ‘objective wisdom’ we supposedly possess.
Shawnaz138
Oct 21, 2013 Shawnaz138 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This book is a godsend for both the neophyte and seasoned writer. I've spent entirely too much money on writing craft books, all of which either rehash the same advice, or expound on techniques that could only work for a particular author. Les Edgerton's “Finding Your Voice” is practical, brilliant, and hands-down, the quintessential work on coming into your own as a scribe.

DO NOT hesitate to grab this book! It's consummate reference material for the serious writer.

Writers, listen: Our time is s
J.P. Barnaby
Jan 19, 2015 J.P. Barnaby rated it liked it
Only one real message stated over and over

I didn't enjoy this as much as his book on beginnings. It could have been a far shorter book with less sales pitches but I did get the point about finding your own voice.
Deborah
Feb 11, 2009 Deborah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I saw this book while picking up another book in this section and decided to give it a read. After reading three chapters, I realized I wasn't going to learning anything new. I've read the same information in other writing books. This book isn't so much about adding personality to your writing as about not writing exactly like your favorite author or how your English teacher taught you to.

I wouldn't say the book is bad, just that I didn't see anything truly unique about it. But a writer who's ju
Melissa Hazelwood
Nov 30, 2014 Melissa Hazelwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read about how and why you should find your own voice.
Christy
Jan 26, 2016 Christy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
I think there are some tips in here that will help me.
Ummu Fatihah
Jul 04, 2010 Ummu Fatihah is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Still reading and find it very interesting.

At page 75 and found out this is an easy way to write a how to book. Just ask people not to do what are encourage by other author.

For example, common guide is to write is to show, not to tell. And this book's tip would be dont do this all the way, which is correct but sure not a new thing to us.
Mary
Mar 15, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Some good exercises, but overall it's not a "workbook." I like the voice of the author--humorous and real. Lots of suggested reads listed in the back, that's also a plus. I took my time going through this one.
Pam Asberry
May 13, 2012 Pam Asberry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the top three most important books on writing I've ever read. Not exactly a "how-to" manual but just what I needed at this point in my writing career. A must-read for anyone seeking publication.
Annepoptart67
May 31, 2015 Annepoptart67 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the writer, surprises on every page. Very good!
LeAnne
Aug 29, 2010 LeAnne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
His voice is a bit wordy and repetitious for me, but the content is worthwhile for those looking for an understanding of the subject.
Cynthia Sims
Jan 24, 2010 Cynthia Sims is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A friend just gave me a boatload of encouraging writing books. I could cry. Ask if you want to borrow any.
Helen Bratko
Jun 14, 2013 Helen Bratko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book and found it really helpful. I definitely would recommend it to aspiring writers.
Robin Patchen
Jun 27, 2013 Robin Patchen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great ideas and exercises for developing a writer's voice.
Karin Britt Gall
Jul 20, 2015 Karin Britt Gall rated it it was amazing
Great book on technique.
Rose
Jul 13, 2013 Rose rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
eh
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Kindle edition: 7 161 Aug 23, 2012 11:47AM
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids
  • Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Writing on Both Sides of the Brain: Breakthrough Techniques for People Who Write
  • Word Painting: A Guide to Writing More Descriptively
  • Writing Past Dark: Envy, Fear, Distraction and Other Dilemmas in the Writer's Life
  • Creating Character Emotions
  • The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing
  • Dynamic Characters: How to Create Personalities That Keep Readers Captivated
  • Getting the Words Right
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • The Art of Styling Sentences
  • One Year to a Writing Life: Twelve Lessons to Deepen Every Writer's Art and Craft
  • Showing & Telling: Learn How to Show & When to Tell for Powerful & Balanced Writing
  • Now Write! Nonfiction: Memoir, Journalism and Creative Nonfiction Exercises from Today's Best Writers
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes

“What is reasonable for you to expect is that no matter how idiosyncratic or “different” your own, particular voice may be, there will be a number of readers who will like it. Who will be drawn to the personality on the page.” 0 likes
“By being yourself on the page, you'll more than likely attract more readers because of your individuality than you would by hiding your personality behind a neutral style.” 0 likes