Start by marking “Hide and Seek (Jackson, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hide and Seek (Jackson, #2)

Hide and Seek (Jackson #2)

Halloween. A group of friends gather at a mansion and decide to play a game. When one of them disappears and a large pool of blood is found on the grounds, San Francisco homicide inspector, Mac Jackson, is called out to investigate. Two days later, the body is discovered.

As Jackson questions the guests, he uncovers old hostilities, secretive pasts, and the victim’s ties to
Published May 28th 2012 by Severn Press

To ask other readers questions about Hide and Seek, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

RJ
Aug 20, 2012 RJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe that most mystery fans are also into solving puzzles. Be it crossword puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, Sudoku, etc. it's all about building on bits of information until the big picture becomes clear. If you're the type of person who skips the easy puzzles in the front of the book (or 100 piece jigsaw puzzles) in favor of the more challenging ones, you'll love Hide and Seek by Jenny Hilborne.

We learn in the opening that a murder is committed by more than one person and at least one of them is f
Harry Steinman
Nov 17, 2012 Harry Steinman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hide & Seek is an intricate murder mystery set in San Francisco. British writer Jenny Hilborne does a creditable job with the San Francisco locale and the action moves from stately Sea Cliff to the seedy Tenderloin, from the Presidio to the Sunset.

Hilborne is at her best in weaving a multi-layered tale in the ruminations of police detective 'Mac' Jackson. She introduced Jackson in "Madness & Murder" and I recommend reading M&M for an introduction to the enigmatic detective.

The story
Darcia Helle
This is the second book in the series revolving around Detective Mac Jackson, but can easily be read as a stand-alone. One of the things I love about this series is that Jackson is more of a minor character. We don’t get caught up in his ego or personal life, so each story is fresh, with new characters to get to know. Hilborne could write 60 books like this, and a reader could pick up any one of them and immediately connect.

Hide and Seeks’ plot is complex, but never confusing. As the story unfo
Alison French
Aug 21, 2012 Alison French rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down. The plot is intricate and with a less developed lead character could have been difficult to follow. However, the characterisation of Inspector Mac Jackson was so exquisitely done that his analysis and detection made perfect sense and brought all of the threads together beautifully. I read quite a lot of crime fiction and would definitely rate this among my favourites of the moment. I would highl;y recommend this book to anyone who enjoys ...more
Kimberly Heimann
Mar 12, 2016 Kimberly Heimann rated it really liked it
Hide and Seek

I really like Jackson. Once again this author flips around but I was able to keep the story straight by reading straight through.
vivian
Mar 20, 2017 vivian rated it it was amazing
Great read

It does not take twenty words to describe this book only two words describe it adequately despite the required twenty.
Sue
I was so fortunate to notice under the Goodreads ebooks giveaway, the new novel, "Hide & Seek" by Jenny Hilborne.I quickly downloaded it.

Jenny Hilborne is an amazing author! She is one of my favourite authors.I enjoy reading mystery suspense thrillers.I have read all of her books, such as Murder & Madness, The Alibi, False Pretense and now Hide & Seek.I couldn't put this book down.I was glued from page one.

Homicide Inspector, Mac Jackson and partner,Red Dennis had been called to Hall
Rebecca
Aug 07, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mysteries with a cop as the protagonist
Shelves: kindle-free
I was lucky enough to pick up this book a time it was free on kindle. I read a lot of mysteries, but tend to prefer cozies as opposed to police and PI mysteries. This book is very good for what it is. I don't recall any overwhelmingly annoying issues or anything like that. The story was good and the characters were good. And I liked it fine.

If I were more interested in this style of novel, I am sure it would have won more stars from me. IT JUST ISN'T MY STYLE! So even though the book is quite go
Lisa Tortorello
Aug 27, 2012 Lisa Tortorello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised when I began reading Hide and Seek by Jenny Hilborne. I presumed because it was Halloween and it took place at a mansion that it was going to be about teens at a haunted house. Boy...did I get that wrong and gladly so. Hilborne does a nice job of pulling the reader in and setting the stage for a great "whodunit". I really liked the character of Mac Jackson a San Francisco homicide inspector.

A woman goes missing during a game of Hide and Seek. Was she abducted, attacked
OrchardBookClub
This is the 3rd book in a series starring Mac Jackson, a good

guy and a Homicide Inspector based in San Francisco and is a

story in its own right.

The scene is set with Zac Cashmore, a high flying banker,

brutally assaulted and left for dead. Abby McCabe, a troubled

goodtime girl seemingly in too deep. And Jane Tweed, a

bereaved sister fighting to prove that her brother’s death

was no accident.

Murder, mystery and suspense, three things that always

draw me to a book. Although this book should ha
Karen
Sep 11, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HIDE AND SEEK JENNY HILBORNE
Abby McCabe is not well liked. After a night game of hide and seek she disappears and is discovered murdered a few days later. This is a really whodunit as several people have very good reasons to want her dead!
This is one of those suspense novels that keeps the reader on their toes. No matter how bad she was Mac Jackson wants her killer caught as well as a few others that have met the same fate.
I will happily give 5 stars for an action packed and suspenseful tale of
Gayle
Jun 28, 2013 Gayle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book I've read by Ms. Hilborne and what I really like about her writing is that she can create a particularly unlikeable character and make me care about what happens to them. The victim in this story is not a nice woman when we meet her, and yet I soon want to get justice for her. The puzzle kept me trying to figure out who was the murderer, and I like Mac Jackson. He's a very no-nonsense detective, who is just trying to do his best every day.

I'll read more.
Marcia Witherspoon
Mar 12, 2015 Marcia Witherspoon rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this book!!!

This book was so much better than the last book I read by this author and I am so glad I decided to give her another try I look forward to reading her next Jackson mystery. All the characters were interesting and their connection to each other kept you on edge. The fact that there were two killers and they too were connected and didn't realize how much was intriguing. The ending too was so unexpected.
Shoulanda August
Nov 09, 2014 Shoulanda August rated it it was amazing
Murder and suspense

Mac did it again and his knack for finding out the truth. I was caught up in the chase of so many characters and how everyone played a part in lies, sex, and drugs. A great detective with the determination to follow up on every lead. His partner Red was more than a great asset and had his partners back to the end
Kathy
Jul 12, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book had a mystery plot to it, I found I had trouble keeping track of the characters and who did what to who and when... I had to go back and retread things that I had missed. It was a good story line and a decent read but for me to many characters to keep track of..
Shirley Alvarez
Feb 17, 2015 Shirley Alvarez rated it liked it
Hide and seek

I like the Jackson mysteries but am still confused with this one. Why was first man Zack attacked? Too much in this book. Kept looking back. Then at times I wonder if I was in an English mystery. Still asking WHY?
patricia woods
Jul 11, 2015 patricia woods rated it really liked it
Confused!!!

I liked the book but still don't understand why Cashmore was beaten and why Adam was murdered. I never found out what they saw that got them hurt and killed. Can anyone help me out here?
Glenda
Oct 17, 2012 Glenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Police mystery series. I read it because it was Halloween themed. Interesting book and I will read more in this series. Had a bit of profanity but not constant and it did not put me off enough to quit reading the book.
Rebecca Hollingsworth
Apr 21, 2016 Rebecca Hollingsworth rated it it was amazing
Yay

This book will bring you close and suck you in. It's a bunch of confusion mixed with crazy emotion, but nevertheless excellent
Cheryl Landmark
May 28, 2013 Cheryl Landmark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come soon.
linda kellogg
Aug 08, 2016 linda kellogg rated it it was amazing
Unexpectedly good

This book has a complex plot with lots of twists. You need to read it carefully to keep everything sorted. The main character is likeable and good at his job.
Elaine
This was okay; I found it somewhat confusing.
Paulette
Sep 11, 2012 Paulette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Had to read book over a few days and I found I had a difficult time keeping the characters straight. Can you have too many characters? Just my opinion.
Tom Elder
Jun 03, 2013 Tom Elder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant mac Jackson story from Jenny , you will love this book even more than the 1st book.
Aug 28, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book a lot. Reminds me of the Alex Cross series. I will continue reading the Jackson mysteries.
Jody
Mar 13, 2013 Jody rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was ok. I did find the set up of the chapters confusing at times. Without notice, the author would change subjects entirely.
bonnie kirchner
Mar 25, 2016 bonnie kirchner rated it liked it
Hide and Seek

I really did not enjoy this book . I am going to read book three in the Jackson mystery series . I hope it is better than this one. Would not recommend it.
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2013
David G Rockwood
David G Rockwood rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Jenny Hilborne
Jun 13, 2012 Jenny Hilborne rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bargain Basement: Mystery/Thriller bargain book 3 12 Jul 06, 2013 11:57AM
  • The Grave Blogger
  • Creative Spirit
  • Coincidences
  • Backyard Bones (Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries, #2)
  • Lost Cargo
  • Blackfire (The Books of Bairnmoor, Volume I)
  • No Mercy
  • Second of All (The Downey Trilogy #2)
  • Pacific Edge
  • Dead Tease (A Loon Lake Mystery, #12)
  • Viking
  • Raggedy Man (Detective Toussaint Mystery #1)
  • The Games Men Play
  • Dream On
  • Fat Chance
  • Black Cow
  • Kings of New York
  • The Woof in the Wedding Plans (Silver State Romance, #2)
I'm a native Brit currently living in San Diego. San Francisco is one of my favorite places and the setting for most of my mystery/thrillers. It's diverse, exciting, and easy for a killer to move around!

NEWEST RELEASE: THE BLACKEST NIGHT: a paranormal mystery set in San Francisco and the 3rd in the Jackson series. When a wrongful conviction is overturned and an innocent man is set free, he believ
More about Jenny Hilborne...

Jackson (3 books)
  • Madness and Murder (Jackson, #1)
  • The Blackest Night (Jackson, #3)

“who should be dead. Stroud sat on the couch, elbows on his” 0 likes