Gina Rinehart: The Untold Story of the Richest Woman in the World

Gina Rinehart: The Untold Story of the Richest Woman in the World

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Gina Rinehart is not just the richest person in Australia - and potentially soon to be the richest person in the world - she is the daughter of Lang Hancock, legendary arch-conservative, secessionist, mining millionaire and discoverer of the world's largest iron ore deposit in the Pilbara; and a member of a family known as much for its front page legal stoushes as for its...more
Published July 1st 2012 by Macmillan Australia

Josephine Tan
Jul 26, 2012 Josephine Tan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Melissa Au
It is a very easy to read book about the most incredible woman who is also the richest in Australia but not necessary the luckiest in terms of relationships with people particularly her children. What is riches if you do not have the respect and love of your children, that is the price or as my daughter would say, there is always an equalisation for everything. She is an incredible woman in terms of guts and that is due to her upbringing but a pity she can't share her spoils with the people that...more
S'hi
Jan 03, 2013 S'hi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: business women,
This is an incredible story. For those of us who have watched Days of Our Lives or Dynasty, many aspects of the current turn of events may seem all just part of the human saga. But the base of this story is long before television, are far from its narrowing influence. What is incredible is the tenacity of one idea and the ability to make it stick.

That idea is not the creation of an iron ore mine – though that is what many will believe as they read this tale. The idea is more challenging – that o...more
Xerodog
Gina is a work in progress like all of us. I think that this account read well enough and should not be criticized as the work a journalist, per se. Like many good journalists before her, Ferguson can write clearly. Here she does a good job with a extraordinary living person who had an extraordinary upbringing. No ordinary person could seriously relate to her situation in my opinion, but this study makes her a little more knowable and interesting.
Lorna Teao
I found this book really interesting especially in the beginning about Gina's father Lang Hancock and how it all began, and her close relationship with her father and how he doted on her, until she married Frank Rinehart whom Lang disapproved of. To be honest she appears to be a very selfish woman who would do anything to get her way, even to sacrifice her own children with whom she does not have a close relationship with. A must read autobiography!!
Ali France
Well written, easy to read and it gave me a good understanding of Gina. She could present a dangerous risk to Australia in that she will do anything to be heard, including buying up shares in media organisations, but what she has to say is utter tripe. WA should secede from the Commonwealth of Australia? Bonkers.
I thought that very little surprised me but I was wrong. I can't believe people like this still exist and are sadly so powerful!
My criticism of the style so far is the use of pejorative language by the author. My preference in a biography is that the writer reports and the reader interprets...
Lee

I'd give it 3 1/2 stars really. Ferguson is a journalist not a novelist so don't expect an entrancing read. She has done her homework though and this is a very interesting pull together of what she has been able to glean about Gina Rinehart. So many unknowns are left though ...
Yvonne
Fascinating insight into the lives of the rich and the powerful. The saga of Rinehart is ongoing and so I imagine a follow-up to the book will be warranted once we know the outcome of the trust trial.
Rebecca
Could have been shorter, but this was a very interesting story that was fortunate to be able to end with a current round of family feuding.
Tania Crosbie
I enjoyed learning more about Gina and the business - although it did not paint a very nice picture.
Rowlie
Boring as....... Too many facts and figures and not enough story.
Elizabeth Harty
Fairly depressing read. How greedy & ruthless can one person be?
Isabel Mansfield
I found it a bit boring and couldn't finish it
Karma
Karma marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Chloe
Chloe added it
Feb 16, 2014
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Diane Hussey
Diane Hussey marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Linda Ullmann
Linda Ullmann marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Nick
Nick added it
Dec 02, 2013
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
BeyondDL
BeyondDL marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Sheridan
Sheridan is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2013